PDA

View Full Version : August Stone Sheep Hunt - Critique My Gear & storyline

nedarb2
02-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Well, its my turn for one of these threads :mrgreen: i dont write stories well, so i hope you can all follow along as my thoughts jump all over the place writing this...

I have been dreaming of the time when i would be able to go for a north rockies hunt, like i have seen so many others do and post pictures of on this site. I am relatively new to hunting (doing it about 5 years now), but grew up in the outdoors and saltwater fishing. I now hunt 30-50 days/year for blacktail deer, black bear, upland birds, and waterfowl. I always try to get out and try new tactics, go to new places, and go after new game. I am the guy that will hike, or atv and then hike into remote places on the island, hunt for 1-3 days, then hike out. 90% of hunting is done past gates or rough sections where most people stop.
Me and my hunting partner (we are 24 right now) have been saying for the last 3-4 years that this year we would go for it and make the trip happen. My buddy cannot go, so before Christmas i planted the seed with another friend, and got the green light from him in January that he would come along. He has hunted sheep before successfully.

When you start getting into the details of one of these hunts, it really starts to get expensive! I had about 2/3 of my gear already from hiking over the years. I do not have a spotting scope (friend coming along has a zeiss), and i need to purchase a tent and sleeping pad. I also need to get some minor things like new long johns, a few more pairs of socks, etc. I am doing this hunt without replacing (or replacing as little as possible) the gear i already own. I already know some things are not the best, but for financial reasons and a long life and hopefully many more sheep hunts ahead, i will pick things up in the coming year(s).

We are jetboating into basecamp with Kevin @ River Jet on August 21. Leaving the Island on August 19. (Missing some prime fishing time this year..) We jetboat out on Sept 4. Hopefully get home on the night of Sept 5, or Sept 6. 2 day drive up. Non-stop on the way home.

The idea: boat into basecamp on river. Hike into sheep country from there (it is 1 day hike from basecamp to sheep camp). Spend 5-7 days in sheep camp. Return to basecamp when successful, or to re-stock supplies.
If returning to basecamp unsuccessful, we will restock and go back up for sheep if we feel like we are on the right track/seeing animals but maybe nothing legal yet. If for some reason the first sheep excursion just goes south, we will stay in basecamp and hunt elk, moose, and goat.

I am in ok shape. I work on my feet and am active all day, have an athletic build. About 1.5 years ago i slipped/crushed a disc in my back. That pretty much put me on my a$$ until about 3 months ago. I still go to physio weekly for my back. You will notice on my gear list i have pain meds, these are just-in-case pills to get me off the mountain. Of course having this injury i needed to know if my back would take the weight of a pack and training to lead up to the hunt. For the last month it has done totally fine, so i have to go on that basis to move forward and stay on track to be in shape for August.
Last month i started to go to the gym at 4am 3x a week for about an hour and a half.
I have been, and will continue to do 1 hike each weekend. Each hike, i increase the weight in my pack, try out my gear (old and new), and wear different clothing combinations. During the month of june i will replace 1 gym session with a 2nd hike (2 days in gym, 2 hikes a week), in July i will do 3x gym 3 x hikes (at 70-80% pack weight), and in august until we leave i will do 3-4x hikes with full pack weight, and 1-2x gym.

Anyways, heres the gear list for "sheep camp" I plan to weigh each item as i pack and maintain a ledger of my gear for the coming years and see where i should be investing as finances allow. Please critique gear and training plan or anything else if you feel like it:

Stone Sheep Pack List, 5-6 Days
Worn:
Smartwool Socks, PHd Outdoor
Mammut Brecon High GTX boots (leather over goretex, well broken in)
Icebreaker Marino Boxers, 200 weight
Sitka Timberline Pants, Moss Color
Columbia Omniheat Light Base layer long sleeve / Helley Hansen Warm Ice-Crew
Synthetic (polyester) t-shirt
-Top Layer? Jacket?
Ball Cap
Badlands Bino Case, with:

Viper/Diamondback Bino’s
Leupold lens pen
2xspare shell
Snacks (granola bar / fruit leather/hard candy
Lens Pen
1 extra set AA batteries
2 days emergency prescription meds & pain killers

SPOT Gen 2 Messenger (hung off backpack, new lithium batteries, contact list & subscription up to date)
Garmin Oregon 450 GPS (hung off backpack, new lithium batteries)
Garmin Wireless Temperature Sensor (hung off backpack, new battery)
camera (hung off backpack, new battery)
Kershaw Leek Pocket Knife
Timex Expedition Wrist Watch (with alarm features)
Gloves
2xHiking Poles
Revo polarized sunglasses

Pack:
Mystery Ranch 6500, with 2 waist belt pockets, Coyote Brown Color
Pack cover

Sleep System:
Tent
Sleeping Pad
MEC Mirage Sleeping Bag, Long, -5C
Wigwam Lite hiker Socks
Merino Long johns
T-MAX Heat Thermal Fleece Shirt, Heavy Weight

Food & Water: all food in ziplock bags organized by day, kept in dry bag
MSR 4L Dromlite Water Bladder, with hydration kit and 3-in-1 cap
6xFood Kit (hiking candy/snacks, fruit leather, tuna spread, drink crystals, Emergen-C, lunch, dehydrated dinner, 2500 calories/day minimum)
Fish/Salmon oil omega 3 pills
Salt & Pepper Packs (for fresh Sheep)
Titanium Spork
Cooking Pot
Stove
1 x large fuel canister
Water Treatment Pills
6 days prescription medication (in water tight container)
6 days pain killers (in water tight container)
1L nalgene bottle, wrapped in duct tape

Clothing (in addition to what is being worn & slept in, everything kept in dry bag):
Socks x 3 (2xSmartwool PhD Outdoor, 1xSmartwool Lite Hiker med. weight) – sleeping pair of socks are also clean if needed + pair being worn.
2x wigwam sock liner (wear only if hotspots show up)
Long johns
jacket (if not being worn already)
Rain pants
Sweater
Light Weight Hiking Pants (zip-off)
1 x synthetic T-Shirt
1 x mec polar fleece thermal, light weight
Gore-Tex Mec Gaiters???
1 Pair Crocs, for stream crossing

Optics:
binos worn, partner has Zeiss 85mm spotting scope, tripod

Shooting Gear:
Browning X-Bolt (30-06) Synthetic/Stainless, X-bolt 1 piece rings, Leupold VX-2 Canadian 3-9x40 Scope
Gun clip
12 rounds hornady superformance 150gr gmx (2 in bino case, 4 in gun clip, 2 in timberline pants, 4 in pack lid – easily accessible)
T15 wrench (for scope)
XXmm allen key (for gun/trigger)
laminated copy of bullet ballistics

Kill Kit:
100ft para-chord
havalon knife
6 blades
2x game bags
Salt - 2lbs (another 2 lbs at base)
6ft fishing line

Misc:
headlamp (new batteries)
tooth brush & paste
first aid kit
2xlighter
extra AAA Batteries (lithium). 1 set for headlamp
extra AA Batteries (lithium). 2 sets for gps
Spare boot lace
Spare pack buckle
6x zap-straps (3 small 3 med)
2x Toilet Paper (vacuum packed for space)
Gold bond Powder???(shower in a bottle)
1 pack baby wipes
Ball-point pen
Pack of cards???
½ roll electrical tape (for over gun barrel and misc. equipment patching if needed)
siltarp
fire starter
2x heavy duty garbage bags

BromBones
02-16-2015, 09:23 PM
- Pick up a Siltarp. Wont go to the mountains without one any more.
- Usually take 100 ft of 550 paracord, for the minimal weight it's worth it.
- 1 pair unlined leather gloves for bushwacking, 1 pair insulated Gore-Tex type for cold weather.
- Couple lightweight drybags (10-15 liter), keeping a complete dry base layer in one. Sea to Summit ultra sil are good. Great for stockpiling water if needed as well.
- Large contractor garbage bags, 1 or 2.
- Gaiters? Kenetrek are great. Silent, waterproof, and tough.
- Add some fat to your diet. Most guys preach protein and carbs, I found over the years that fat is the key for keeping my energy levels consistent, and my brain to function normally - coconut oil, fish oil, and hemp hearts.
- 1 liter Nalgene bottle ( I don't trust bladders alone). Wrap your electrical tape around it to save space.
- Notepad. You'll think of an item you need or idea while on the trip, never fails. Write it down asap or you'll forget it, never fails :)
- Moleskin or duct tape (blisters)

rifleman
02-16-2015, 09:49 PM
you have really done your homework.... great list....
IMO
Delete---- temperature sensor??? (unless for medical purposes)
- hiking poles (popular but I don't use them)
-tuna spread sounds heavy (dehydrated would be better)
- pen & cards, possibly book (not much time left in a day after hunting 12-15hrs)
- less batteries (one set should last the whole trip, spare pk. just in case)
- electrical tape (one pc. per shot. don't take too much)
Add------

- rain jacket (wind blocker)
- knife sharpener
- mountain house
- fire starter
- mole skin

might of mist a couple of items but you are on the right track

ElectricDyck
02-16-2015, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't call my self a sheep hunter but I've spent some time backpacking in sheep country..

I like hydro twine over para cord, less stretch lots of strength, light, tie stuff to the pack, clothes lines, tie the tent to a far off bush in heavy wind...

I like the leather mechanic style gloves, devils club proof, also saves your knuckles and palms when you slip in the rocks..

I use the 2 bag platypus water filter system, doubles as extra water storage and you can drink from anywhere...giardia is a good for weight loss but it's not worth food no longer tasting good and dry heaving after eating....

I didn't see a down jacket on your list..I went with a guy and he had one with a hood and all I had was a down vest, we were glassing in the shadow of a mountain with a slight cold breeze and he was sitting pretty while I squirmed to try and stay warm, after that I picked one up and was never cold again..doubles as a pillow inside a stuff sack..

Another thing I picked up from the same guy was a small chunk of that blue sleeping pad foam for a seat, sounds dumb ( I thought so at first anyway) but it's nice to have a dry warm soft place to take a load off when you stop for a break or to glass...I also use it at night under my hips for extra support cause my ultra light sleeping pad sucks...

Good luck on your hunt! How do you like your GMXs in 150 grain? I shoot the 06 too and just ordered a few boxes cause they peaked my interest..

bridger
02-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Main thing is to have the equipment you need to stay dry and warm. You can get by without a lot of other stuff. You sound young and tough go have fun. I went on my first sheep hunt in 1967 years before gortex and water proof boots and had a great time. Just saying don't overthink the situation. Go gave fun! You will do just fine and have a great time. Just be in shape and keep a positive frame of mind.

Ltbullken
02-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Be prepared to carry all your water up the mountain and factor that into your weight and planning from spike camp.

rifleman
02-16-2015, 10:14 PM
like bridger said "keep a positive frame of mind.
you will have so many ups & downs

avadad
02-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Some great suggestions so far…take the hiking poles. If you have had a back injury, the hiking poles could be a real important piece of equipment. Spend some time on this website as well, lot's of good info here.
http://www.rokslide.com

Nimrod
02-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Add some fat to your diet
Good advise right there!

spear
02-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Having gone with Kevin twice and seeing some other drop offs on the river, I wouldnt plan on returning to base camp (river) until pick up day or the day before.
your best chance for success will be to pack as far into good sheep country as you can and stay as long as you can. one day hike back to base is two lost days of chasing rams.

Ill retouch what some have already said but looking at your gear list for august i think...

Clothing:

Ditch one set of aaa batteries, your SPOT can run a loong time on one set. Make sure your headlamp doesnt turn on while in your pack
I would get rid of one of your jacket or sweater/fleece pieces. For instance for a late sept sheep hunt last year I took two merino base layers, one softshell, one very light rain layer, one down vest. Extra clothes are extra weight, a good down jacket or vest can add a lot to a good night sleep if it get cold and they weigh very little compared to heavy fleece or sweaters
Gaiters are a must
lightweight drybags are great, use them as game bags, you can sink meat in cold water or hang up high

Food:
as Brombones said, add some fat to your diet if you can, with any luck you guys will be chowing on sheep meat early on
eat mountain house or whatever brand you choose before hand, I realize it can be expensive but you want to know what you like BEFORE you HAVE to eat it

Sil tarps are wicked, collect water in the rain, set up at spike to cover gear or dry cook area, keep meat clean while butchering etc.
wrap electrical tape around your narrel 4-5 times, and tape your muzzle, more than enough for multiple shots
wrap your water bottle with duct tape, a small piece of tape on a potential blister can save your hunt. I have bombproof feet but I resorted to duct tape twice, it kept me climbing

As far as training goes, nothing can prepare you for hiking with weight better than hiking with weight. I dont see the need to be in the gym more than once a week, spend your extra time getting your legs and lungs in shape. More than your legs and lungs, start training your eyes to glass for long periods.

Its going to be more mental than physical, you are going to love every single minute, and hate some. Soak it up and remember you dont have to kill a ram to have a great hunt

.264winmag
02-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Everything has been pretty much covered by more experienced sheep hunters than myself, good list so far. This is my ten day list from last year, worked for me.
Total pack weight with rifle was just over 60# on way in.

1 Stone Glacier Terminus Backpack, 4lbs
.264 Win Mag, 11lbs with NF and bipod
10 rounds
1 headlamp
1 travel deodorant
1 travel toothbrush/toothpaste
1 30ml deep woods off
1 basic first aid kit
1 15g polysporin
1 lighter
1 box waterproof matches
6 bounce sheets
2 30ml water purifying drops
50 ft parachute cord
1 lens pen
2 spare bootlaces
1 camo polyester face mask
1 GPS
1 SPOT gps locator
1 15-45x60 Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope/tripod
1 Leica 1600B rangefinder
1 wind meter
1 ballistics calculator
1 2 1/4" folding Buck knife
1 sharpener
1 small canon digital camera with spare battery, digiscope adapter.
1 MEC down sleeping bag, 19oz
1 big agnes UL1 tent, 2lbs1oz
1 therm-a-rest sleeping pad, neo xlite 12oz
1 small game bag
3, 2litre hydration bladders
2, 1 litre Nalgene bottles
1 tin coffee cup
1 25L dry bag
2 contractor garbage bags
1 wristwatch
11 mountain house meals
20 40g vector bars
600g vector cereal
100 ml Mio sport
300g cashews
40 8g hot rods
200g banana chips
1 titanium cooking pot
1 plastic spork
1/2 roll toilet paper
1 pair underwear
3 pairs socks, merino wool
1 polyester long underwear
1 polyester long sleeve
1 gore tex jacket
1 gore tex pant
1 pair crocs
200ml vodka

Apolonius
02-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Listen to Kevin if you are going with him.His advice will be the best you can get.Do not overthink it.Do not take more stuff than what you need.All this fancy stuff in food, clothing and gear ,you might find useless weight.Stay dry,warm,hydrated,safe.A pack alarm???And most of all be fit.And one thing you can't put in your pack....mental preparation.

Duck Buster
02-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Take Hiking Poles.... I rolled my ankle comming down a slide on our goat hunt this last fall. We had a 10 km hike out the next day and without the poles there would have been no way I could have done it.

Wild Images
02-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Salt for your cape, learn to cape and turn things properly before you go !
Once you load your pack and see how it all fits, unload and get rid of everthing you don't need to survive.
Remember that you have to have room to bring your ram out with you.

spear
02-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Remember that you have to have room to bring your ram out with you.[/QUOTE]
Good advice. Not just weight but volume

nedarb2
02-17-2015, 02:51 PM
thanks for the great advice so far everyone. i updated the list with suggestions.
Let me defend some of my gear on the list that some have said to delete, and see if that "allows" it to come along..

Temperature sensor: weights about as much as a loonie. the size of your thumb nail. just something neat to have along and look at (connects to my gps). I was going to consider this my novelty for the trip.

-I need to buy a top layer jacket. this will be a waterproof shell. i will layer beneath it for warmth. might trade a sweater for a down vest to double as a pillow.
-no need for knife sharpener when using a havalon
-all main meals will be dehydrated
-food and clothing kept in separate dry bags

ElectricDyck: i LOVE those gmx superformance. everytime i go to the range i can put 5 rounds touching at 100 yrds. the 165gr are also shoot bang on the target where the 150's hit (just slightly different ballistics) for me.

srupp
02-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Hmmm take the hiking poles, switch the sil tarp for sildome..have both use both..I take a cotton pillow case stuffed with cloths..pillow on trip...then meat bag for sheep meat. Small container of gold bond, small conter of liquid soap...if enough water is available..
Goodluck
Steven

Lastcar
02-17-2015, 04:11 PM
Certainly can't comment on the gear any better than others already have.

I will suggest you do a bit of research into the value of tapering down your training closer to when you leave. Ensure you are leaving well rested and healed from any nagging issues.

I sport specific train relatively hard in early morning 6 days a week and fit in a 3 strength sessions in the evenings a week. I certainly notice a difference when I take some time off and come back feeling ready to get after it again. Ranging from just a few days off to a week.

In your case there really isn't any skill specific things you are developing in your training by the last two weeks. Certainly early on you are going to be developing your hiking with a pack skills.

Carrying the load, foot placement, using hiking poles, scrambling through different terrain etc. But by the end you are likely just putting miles on for the sake of fitness. What little refinement of skill you may see at that point, you may get a greater return in being rested and healed for what will be an enduring session in the mountains.

Not saying go cold turkey. Just taper down to maybe half the workouts and hikes in the last 10 days and few real solid days of rest.

Again, my two cents. I'd do a bit of research into if you think I may be onto something. I could be dead wrong on this but would be something I'd look into if it was my trip.

Either way you are clearly on the right track!

kodiak18
02-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Take a book. Spent 3 days in a tent one year due to the rain.

CLoverdale
02-17-2015, 07:16 PM
If you're buying a sleeping pad check out the Therm-a-rest NeoAir. Don't let the cost scare you, they are a real game changer for sleeping on the rocks. They are the lightest pad and it packs down to a very small size. MEC carries them. I've used mine for the past three years and found it the most comfortable sleeping pad I've used.
The advice about a piece of blue sleeping pad foam for sitting is excellent. The weight is minimal and it makes camp so much more comfortable. It also keeps your butt dry when you spend hours glassing. Rolled up with clothes in your sleeping bag stuff sack makes a pillow.

.264winmag
02-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Only used my sil tarp11 once in three hunts, personally not a game changer. Found 'anti monkey butt' to be far superior to baby powder... I think you'll be fine, you're gonna have a blast!!!

Fred1
02-17-2015, 08:16 PM
I recommend taking with you double any prescription meds you need to take. If for some reason you get stuck out there (weather might get ya) for a few more days, you will be prepared. I have had guys forget their meds occasionally - we are lucky we can usually get them pretty quick - but it does put some stress on a guy and can shorten or mess up a hunt. The blue foam is a great tip! I started carrying one all the time. Mmmmmmm fat.......

HarryToolips
02-17-2015, 10:05 PM
I highly recommend in your workouts if your not already doing them: squats, and cardio acceleration, push-ups, chin-ups mixed with a punching bag or stationary runs etc between sets..

And be a man and use a compass and the sun to navigate:-D..GPS are not as reliable, and take the challenge out of navigating..if Ya want a couple tips on this PM me..

bcmulie
02-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Here's my 2 cents, having been on 15+ 10 day backpacking hunts. I would leave behind the following items:

One set of spare batteries
Maybe leave behind the GPS, depending on the type of area you are going to and how confident you are in your navigation skills (take a compass and maps instead)
Temperature sensor
2 pairs of socks (3 pairs is plenty; I also take 3 pairs lightweight liner socks)
Spare boot lace - just make sure you have new ones in before you leave
Gold bond powder
Some of the electrical tape (as others have said, just put a few wraps around your barrel)
Pen - take a stubby pencil instead - you can sharpen with your knife, whereas a pen could leak
Cards
1 set of long johns (you don't need 2 sets)
Light weight hiking pants - I only ever take one pair of pants; long johns + rain gear can be the second pair if you need it

I would definitely take the gaiters and the trekking poles, especially the trekking poles. And I would take more than 12 rounds ammo (I usually take 15, or 20 if I'm hunting for multiple species), in case your scope gets knocked out, you get injured and need to signal your partner, or you're just a lousy shot. :-)

I would also take a water pump rather than the treatment pills. Treatment pills don't clean the dirt out of the water and the taste leaves something to be desired.

Also, I would never go on a sheep hunt without my own spotting scope. Hunts for other species, maybe. A sheep hunt, never. Did I mention that I would never go on a sheep hunt without a spotting scope? And I would never take a crappy one either. Get a Swarovski 65mm. Paying for it will hurt - a lot - but you will never regret it.

Good luck on your hunt!

bcmulie

Timberjack
03-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Take a second waistbelt buckle for your pack. You wont make it out 20+ km with 100+ lbs with no waistbelt.

And dont think of going without hikin poles.

TJ

spear
03-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Here's my 2 cents, having been on 15+ 10 day backpacking hunts. I would leave behind the following items:

One set of spare batteries
Maybe leave behind the GPS, depending on the type of area you are going to and how confident you are in your navigation skills (take a compass and maps instead)
Temperature sensor
2 pairs of socks (3 pairs is plenty; I also take 3 pairs lightweight liner socks)
Spare boot lace - just make sure you have new ones in before you leave
Gold bond powder
Some of the electrical tape (as others have said, just put a few wraps around your barrel)
Pen - take a stubby pencil instead - you can sharpen with your knife, whereas a pen could leak
Cards
1 set of long johns (you don't need 2 sets)
Light weight hiking pants - I only ever take one pair of pants; long johns + rain gear can be the second pair if you need it

I would definitely take the gaiters and the trekking poles, especially the trekking poles. And I would take more than 12 rounds ammo (I usually take 15, or 20 if I'm hunting for multiple species), in case your scope gets knocked out, you get injured and need to signal your partner, or you're just a lousy shot. :-)

I would also take a water pump rather than the treatment pills. Treatment pills don't clean the dirt out of the water and the taste leaves something to be desired.

Also, I would never go on a sheep hunt without my own spotting scope. Hunts for other species, maybe. A sheep hunt, never. Did I mention that I would never go on a sheep hunt without a spotting scope? And I would never take a crappy one either. Get a Swarovski 65mm. Paying for it will hurt - a lot - but you will never regret it.

Good luck on your hunt!

bcmulie

Think You nailed it with this one, all those lil items add up to a lot of weight and bulk.

d6dan
03-07-2015, 01:46 PM
On the first aid dept, add some moleskin and dental floss. Sometimes it will come in handy.

warnniklz
03-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Here's my list so far... but I'm looking September. Father bear originally wanted to go October... and refuses to go in August. But he doesn't want to give up coho fishing in September... I know he'll come around.

GEAR:
Pack - Eberlestock J107M (still want to upgrade/repair...)
Hiking Poles (mostly for siltarp purposes)
Siltarp
Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket and Fuel
Small Microfibre towel (I like to dry off before climbing into my sleeping bag)
Hand Cannon and ordinances
Gloves (one pair of hobo gloves and one pair of mechanics gloves)
Toque
100' paracord
Spot
Thermarest neoair lite (it's a little narrow in the shoulders and a little short... but it packs down to nothing)
Sleeping Bag (Thermarest Haven -5C)
Spotting Scope (I always forget if I have the vortex viper or vortex razor)
Tripod - Vortex SS
Binos - (Vortex Talon 10x42)
Tent - (MSR Hubba Hubba)
2 litre hydration bladder
Game Bags
Head Lamp (energizer takes AAA batteries, all electronics take AAA batteries so I don't need to pack so many spares)
Spare Batteries (6 AAA)
One Safari Cup
Canteen

CLOTHING:
Pair of socks for each day (I like dry feet)
Thermal layer designated for sleeping
Baselayer (Under armour cold gear longsleeve shirt, stanfield long johns)
Mid Layer (helly hansen fleece shirt)
Pants (Sitka mountain pant)
Jacket (Under armour pirmaloft)
Rain Gear (Helly Hansen Permatech Pants and Cahart Jacket)
Gaiters

FOOD:
Mountain House meal/day
Beef Jerky
Trail Mix
Power bars for breakfast and lunch
Cliff Shots
Emergen-C
Aquatab Water Purification
Tea
Celebratory Beverage