PDA

View Full Version : harvest success rate for Resident hunters

BTF
02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
I am trying to dig up some facts on the average harvest success rate for resident hunters. I can't seem to find anything concrete, does anyone have any figures?

Thanks, BTF

Vladimir Poutine
02-16-2015, 07:19 PM
www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/.../gmz5b_alternative_harv_strat_review.pdf

You could try this one.

BTF
02-16-2015, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Vladimir Poutine;1605717]www.env.gov (http://www.env.gov).bc.ca/fw/.../gmz5b_alternative_harv_strat_review.pdf

You could try this one.[/QUOTE

I tried your link but no matches turned up.

Sofa King
02-16-2015, 07:49 PM
they don't have a clue.
how would they?
they send out questionaires, but that's hardly accurate.

XMD70
02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
I was told by the local mla Mike Morris (Prince George North) that resident hunter success rate was assumed to be 30% across the board.

BTF
02-16-2015, 08:14 PM
I was told by the local mla Mike Morris (Prince George North) that resident hunter success rate was assumed to be 30% across the board.

That was what I've gathered from bits of information, I just can't seem to find anything factual.

ElectricDyck
02-16-2015, 08:19 PM
If you base it on the individual hunter and not the "group" I would think success rate per person for moose or elk would be even less than that, closer to 15%.

Seems to me that if a group of 3 to 6 guys gets 1 or 2 moose or 1 or 2 elk on a trip they did well...30% success would mean on average they would get 2 everytime. I hear of a lot of guys coming home skunked from moose trips or 1 bull for 3 to 6 guys...

I wonder how they come up with 30%?

tinhorse
02-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Well 1 out of 3 is 33%. I just find it funny that they put that number across the board. In my hunting experience I have probably been closer to 50% on deer and 25% on moose/elk. That is partially due to if I shot an elk I wouldn't bother with the moose and vise versa.

nelsonob1
02-17-2015, 12:10 AM
your doing well at 50% deer and 25% elk. most guys I know are half that.

Liveforthehunt
02-17-2015, 12:37 AM
If you base it on the individual hunter and not the "group" I would think success rate per person for moose or elk would be even less than that, closer to 15%.

Seems to me that if a group of 3 to 6 guys gets 1 or 2 moose or 1 or 2 elk on a trip they did well...30% success would mean on average they would get 2 everytime. I hear of a lot of guys coming home skunked from moose trips or 1 bull for 3 to 6 guys...

I wonder how they come up with 30%?

It's the guys that come back 2 moose 2 guys every year that balance that out with the odd elk in there as well :grin:

Vladimir Poutine
02-17-2015, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Vladimir Poutine;1605717]www.env.gov (http://www.env.gov).bc.ca/fw/.../gmz5b_alternative_harv_strat_review.pdf

You could try this one.[/QUOTE

I tried your link but no matches turned up.

Yeah sorry about that. I distinctly remember a PDF file that showed success rate by MU and species. Damned if I can find it now. When I go to the BC Wildlife site and search for Hunting Stats, or Resident Success all I get back is an message of "an error occurred" Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but one would think that a search that has no results would say so. Part of that report said that the success rate for moose, which is the highest is 40% province wide.

I found that file in a Google search. Just try putting in search criteria and look for results that show a PDF with a gov.bc.ca tag.

sawmill
02-17-2015, 10:49 AM
your doing well at 50% deer and 25% elk. most guys I know are half that.

Haven`t hunted elk for quite a few years but I`m 100% on whites.Buck and doe every season.

Brez
02-17-2015, 11:05 AM
There's no way that they could have accurate numbers with the way the questionaires are set up or without compulsory reporting. I have to believe that the numbers vary widely, region to region, locale to locale, and they would not be as high as 30% for most species.

bruce44
02-17-2015, 04:41 PM
For what? Big game I assume. Ungulates, two years hunting and got nada. Grouse 100% lol

Sofa King
02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
so, because they roughly guess that resi hunters are only taking 30%, is that why they figured it would be fine to give a bunch extra to the goabc, since we aren't even taking our allowed amount anyway.

XMD70
02-17-2015, 05:11 PM
My guess is they've been using the 30% formula for a long time, and that it is no longer accurate. It could even be partly to blame for the moose population crash. I think quads, trail cameras, and the overharvesting of the forests in BC have made a big difference. So has the LEH system. Many folks who don't get an LEH don't bother buying a species tag.

bridger
02-17-2015, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=BTF;1605723]

Yeah sorry about that. I distinctly remember a PDF file that showed success rate by MU and species. Damned if I can find it now. When I go to the BC Wildlife site and search for Hunting Stats, or Resident Success all I get back is an message of "an error occurred" Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but one would think that a search that has no results would say so. Part of that report said that the success rate for moose, which is the highest is 40% province wide.

I found that file in a Google search. Just try putting in search criteria and look for results that show a PDF with a gov.bc.ca tag.

Doubt if moose success is 40% more like 25% inn the good old days probably less now

Gun Dog
02-18-2015, 12:14 AM
I am trying to dig up some facts on the average harvest success rate for resident hunters. I can't seem to find anything concrete, does anyone have any figures?

Thanks, BTFI get a huge Excel spreadsheet from the ministry that shows number of hunters, number of hunter days, and number of kills for every species and every MU going back to 1987. There's some estimating since the hunter survey doesn't provide 100% coverage.

For example, in 2012 in MU 3-30 shows 2163 resident hunters, 11,636 hunter days, 700 kills and 10 non-resident hunters, 60 hunter days and 1 kill.

There's 53,000 records (lines) in the spreadsheet.

bcmulie
02-18-2015, 10:29 AM
I get a huge Excel spreadsheet from the ministry that shows number of hunters, number of hunter days, and number of kills for every species and every MU going back to 1987. There's some estimating since the hunter survey doesn't provide 100% coverage.

For example, in 2012 in MU 3-30 shows 2163 resident hunters, 11,636 hunter days, 700 kills and 10 non-resident hunters, 60 hunter days and 1 kill.

There's 53,000 records (lines) in the spreadsheet.

Everyone should ignore Gun Dog and listen to Sofa King. There's no information available that will help you figure out where to hunt - just wander around randomly and hope you run into an animal. After all, we all know the ministry staff are lazy and don't keep track of anything...

Gun Dog, shush!

Cordillera
02-18-2015, 10:26 PM
so, because they roughly guess that resi hunters are only taking 30%, is that why they figured it would be fine to give a bunch extra to the goabc, since we aren't even taking our allowed amount anyway.
Species that are really sensitive to harvest have compulsory inspection and the success is calculated for each management unit. That is why we all need people to submit their CI.

OutWest
02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
they don't have a clue.
how would they?
they send out questionaires, but that's hardly accurate.

They don't need to know exact numbers. BC manages for sex ratios.

The questionnaires are more accurate than you think.

Gun Dog
02-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Everyone should ignore Gun Dog and listen to Sofa King. There's no information available that will help you figure out where to hunt - just wander around randomly and hope you run into an animal. After all, we all know the ministry staff are lazy and don't keep track of anything...

Gun Dog, shush!My mistake. Ignore me; Sofa King is right.