PDA

View Full Version : VHF for Truck: handheld or mounted?

BCMarc
02-15-2015, 08:59 PM
What are you guys using in your trucks? How many use a handheld? What brands? How many use a mounted radio? Brands? Anyone still run CB?

Drillbit
02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Gave you a reply on CGN.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-15-2015, 09:13 PM
I run an ICOM V8000 in my Silverado, a TYT TH9000 in my jeep, and a Baofeng GT3 MARK 2 handheld for the quad and other stuff. Just recently sold an ICOM V85 and a Baofeng UF B5--both handhelds. No dissapointments with any of these radios. Also have two TYT TH 9000 for sale. One is a VHF and the other is a UHF. Ordered 6 of the TYT but a couple of the guys were not able to complete their end of the deal.

BCMarc
02-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys. Looking to get the new truck set-up, particularly with spending most of our time nowhere near cell coverage of any sort.

Drillbit
02-15-2015, 09:47 PM
VHF is where it's at. The nearest cell service I know of at Horsefly is at the horsefly/likely junction.

For you, you'll want the 108rd channel. The z rd channel. Marine 6 is all of Q lake. West Fraser east and west. And most of the local horseflyers run LADD1. You'll know if they're going to the 640 to light up some tires&pallets! lol Darlenes Kitchen used to do pick-up orders on ladd1 till a few years ago, it was aweosome!
That's all I bother with in that area other than rcmp a channel.

Get one mounted in your truck, you can get a used one for cheap.
Then buy a good handheld for the boat and atv or on foot.

There's always somebody on one of the ones I listed and it may save you spending the night in your truck or not making the night. Need a chainsaw always too.

Lastcar
02-15-2015, 11:22 PM
I am about to have a CB radio in the new Sidekick when I pick it up in a few weeks. You should get one too...then when you are down and we go to a Canadians game we find each other in the parking lot. Save a few text messages. Rogers will thank us.

Drillbit, you seem pretty on the up and up about these things. Not sure how far your geographical knowledge of who is using what goes, but would you say in and around Logan Lake (3-18 and 3-19) the THT TY 9000 would be of much use? I have a Delorme Inreach for sending word and if I was ever in a real pickle. But for the sake of finding people nearby or being able to know if the logging trucks were on the move would it be of value?

I didn't plan on leaving the CB in, but could be tempted to put something like this in if it was of value.

604ksmith
02-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Kenwood TK-780.

It's got great range and I got a decent used price, but it can't be easily programmed from the front panel which is a pain in the ass.

If you like to explore new areas, I would get a VHF radio that has easy FPP (front panel programming) so you can add in a new channel when need be.

Drillbit
02-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Kenwood TK-780.

It's got great range and I got a decent used price, but it can't be easily programmed from the front panel which is a pain in the ass.

If you like to explore new areas, I would get a VHF radio that has easy FPP (front panel programming) so you can add in a new channel when need be.

Yep, front programming is the way to go. The shop will try and scare you away from them though.

If you find a cheap radio that doesn't have it, then do some research before you program it as it's 30-40 bucks every time they plug it in to add channels.

Drillbit
02-15-2015, 11:49 PM
I am about to have a CB radio in the new Sidekick when I pick it up in a few weeks. You should get one too...then when you are down and we go to a Canadians game we find each other in the parking lot. Save a few text messages. Rogers will thank us.

Drillbit, you seem pretty on the up and up about these things. Not sure how far your geographical knowledge of who is using what goes, but would you say in and around Logan Lake (3-18 and 3-19) the THT TY 9000 would be of much use? I have a Delorme Inreach for sending word and if I was ever in a real pickle. But for the sake of finding people nearby or being able to know if the logging trucks were on the move would it be of value?

I didn't plan on leaving the CB in, but could be tempted to put something like this in if it was of value.

I've been around, and know a bit, but only enough to be dangerous! haha

Logan lake I can't help you with. I know a Lowbedder from cherryville, that goes all over that region, that's a real "rubber ducky" and I could find out the ones you need if you're serious, but I don't know off the top of my head. Haven't been to Logan Lake since playing hockey there in 97.

Googled the tht ty 9000 and couldn't really find the operating range (seemed like 220+ which is no good). The common VHF frequencies in BC are in the 150's. rcmp are in the 139's and the marine channels are in the 156's.

Next time you go up the logging road you travel take a note of what the frequency is on the board at the start of the FRS. After you've gone to all you hunting spots and have a list you'll have a start.
The local radio shop should have a generic list too for your area. You can get by ok with a 16 channel radio if you find a deal on one.

I'm no expert, but I've lived by VHF for many years now, and am happy to help out.

BCMarc
02-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Lastcar, I will get right on that. Load up a CB and VHF - get that truck looking like an antenna farm. Heaven forbid we ever have to text again.

Looks like you have two options in those TYT TH 9000's. One version comes in 136-174 and another in 220-260. Look to run about $180 shipped from China. Don't know how to tell if its front programmable though.

Lastcar
02-16-2015, 12:28 AM
Drillbit,

Did a little more digging into this...at this point seems more complicated than I had hoped.

Like finding the radio right off the hop. I am also not sure there is a lot of guys roaming the area with radios. Not a ton of active logging. And heck big chunks of 3-19 have cell service.

The 13 year old me from the 80's likes the idea of having the radio more than the 40 year old me sees a practical application for my area.

Now BCMarc on the other hand, if he could order take out with it...that'd be reason enough right there.

Appreciate the reply and will let you know if I decide to take another stab at it.

Drillbit
02-16-2015, 12:56 AM
^all depends on your area for sure. Horsefly, for sure, is VHF country.

If there's cell service where you go, you don't really need vhf. Almost all the highway trucks run Ladd1 though, so if there's no service, and you're near a highway, you may get help.

My best radios rescue story was hitting the rhubarb at 59km (west of Nazko) on the Michelle creek road. The Itcha mountain unloading site that year. Tried every channel on the VHF, and a dump truck company in Quesnel picked up our call. Something like 160km away. I gave her 3 buddies names and numbers to call.
5 hours later my buddies Mom, and her 90 year old parents pulled up in the old farm truck. Tugged on the chains and we were out. (after 4 hours of shovelling, unloading skidoos, unhooking trailers, towing trailer with skiidoos, reloading tailer....etc). No BCAA there.

Another good one was at the 72km board up the Penfold. A Icom F-14 portable was 5x5 at the junction.

Also, the hill at Miocene above the horseshoe pits will reach the junction with a truck VHF.

Anyways, if you're out of cell service, a VHF is nice to have and has saved me more than once. But I'm out and around all the time.

abbyfireguy
02-16-2015, 09:11 AM
I was in the same dilemma several years ago. Ended up taking my Ham Radio operators license.Very easy,on two weekends in Abbotsford at Abby Amateur Radio Club.
I found very good prices on radios at Ham Radio Outlet.
picked up two Kenwood TM-281A radios for a very good price. They are small enough to hide out of the way easily and perform very well. I have since outfitted my sons truck and two of his pals.
They periodically have promos and crazy price reductions.
Check the link below. A very good outfit to deal with.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

toad
02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I know nothing about radios.....but i want one
I live in the east koots so i would like to be able to call my kms and obviously also listen when trucks are coming when i go out into the bush....i also travel lots thru kootenay and banff parks i would like to be able to talk to the truckers especially the chief trucks to get road conditions.... what radio should i get?

BCMarc
02-16-2015, 06:47 PM
I was in the same dilemma several years ago. Ended up taking my Ham Radio operators license.Very easy,on two weekends in Abbotsford at Abby Amateur Radio Club.
I found very good prices on radios at Ham Radio Outlet.
picked up two Kenwood TM-281A radios for a very good price. They are small enough to hide out of the way easily and perform very well. I have since outfitted my sons truck and two of his pals.
They periodically have promos and crazy price reductions.
Check the link below. A very good outfit to deal with.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

Was looking at some of those places in the US as well. With our dollar the way it is today, are there that big of savings anymore? Keeping in mind I can't just pop across Sumas crossing to a PO box to pick things up super easily.

The challenge is I can't really find but one Canadian online retailer. Are there more that I just can't find?

shallowH2O
02-16-2015, 07:23 PM
For those pointing out the radio channels in the horsefly area. All of Williams lake and 100 mile operating areas both east and west and soon to be quesnel area has gon to the new resource road channels. Most roads have been relabelled and continue to be

Ry151
02-16-2015, 07:27 PM
I know nothing about radios.....but i want one
I live in the east koots so i would like to be able to call my kms and obviously also listen when trucks are coming when i go out into the bush....i also travel lots thru kootenay and banff parks i would like to be able to talk to the truckers especially the chief trucks to get road conditions.... what radio should i get?

any radio with freq between 136-174hz will work. Icom and Kenwood seem the most popular when it comes to places that will program them. I like radios with lots of channels (500+), this way you can add banks for new areas so every time you pay the $40 to have it programed for a new area you can still keep the channels that are already in the radio. Mine is 513 channels and cant find enough different channels to fill it.

ruger#1
02-16-2015, 07:51 PM
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=102

vikinghunter
02-16-2015, 09:33 PM
I have 2 Motorola VHF handhelds, nice thing is I can go from truck to quad and on foot, batteries last days not hours, only down side is some handhelds can cost more than base units.

BCMarc
02-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Any thoughts folks between the Kenwood TM-281 or the ICOM V8000?

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-16-2015, 10:17 PM
The TYT and the ICOM V8000 are both programmable from the front of the radio and also the buttons on the mike. Easy to use. Good antenna is key to longer ranges. My friends have been buying more expensive antennas than I have, but the 25-50 dollar ones are working good for me. Running your units off repeaters is also a distance advantage but I just use the simplex settings (truck to truck) not going through a repeater. Never had a problem on the resource roads.

Johnny G1
02-16-2015, 11:05 PM
The Icom v8000 is one good radio, know different trucker's that have them and are programmable on the spot.

BCMarc
02-17-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm leaning towards pairing the ICOM 8000 with the Comet SBB 25. Next step is remembering/figuring out the connection types.

.330 Dakota
02-17-2015, 07:23 PM
I run an ICOM in my truck, and a handheld ICOM, no complaints here

CLoverdale
02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Before retiring I was a radio tech for 30 years. If I have one radio I'd get a handheld over a dash mount. Primarily because the handheld can be used in the truck to watch for the loggers or to stay in contact with your buddies. Then it goes in the pack when you walk or on the ATV. If you know the frequencies in your area you'll always be able to contact someone.
For brands I found Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood are best value for the dollar. They produce a quality product and produce industrial level units. Motorola is great but overpriced. Personally I wouldn't buy the Beofung type units. As one fella posted he has great luck with his but the problem is quality control. Sometimes they make good ones but you get a number of bad ones as well. Not what you need when you're in a pinch. eBay has the best prices I find and also order extra battery packs that will take alkaline or lithium batteries for a backup when you're walking.
Never buy a unit that can't be front panel programmed. The technology that is available today leaves no need to take a radio to a shop to be programmed. Forget all the fancy bells and whistles that come with the radio. Learn the basic functions and keep a manual in the glove box or a digital copy on the cell phone. Learn by rote how to reset the radio to factory condition since it might be necessary to turn off some weird option that was accidentally turned on.
With VHF, distance is more about the country you're in than it is about the output power of the radio. More power is good but height will get you distance. With a handheld you can climb a ridge to get in contact but you can't do that with a dash mount (easily). A fender mount antenna is way more efficient than the rubber ducky type on a handheld so mount one on your truck and get an adapter that connects the cable to your handheld. This will easily double your coverage. One advantage of CB over VHF is that CB can get huge distance. Antennas are real fussy with CB and coverage is hit and miss however.
For VHF FM make sure the frequency band is 134 to 174 MHz. This covers all the logging and other commercial operators in the province. Nobody will bother you if you need help and you're not authorized for the channel. Also write down the frequency of the logging road your on even if you don't plan to use it. Trying to remember the frequency 2 hours later when the truck won't start sucks.
I would always use VHF FM over CB just because that's what the loggers use.
Send me a PM if there are any radio questions I might be able to help with.

Jim Prawn
02-17-2015, 10:21 PM
After just having my truck stolen with my mounted icom programmable in it, my vote is for a handheld, then it wont be in your truck when some prick drives away in it.
JP

ruger#1
02-18-2015, 06:04 AM
Before retiring I was a radio tech for 30 years. If I have one radio I'd get a handheld over a dash mount. Primarily because the handheld can be used in the truck to watch for the loggers or to stay in contact with your buddies. Then it goes in the pack when you walk or on the ATV. If you know the frequencies in your area you'll always be able to contact someone.
For brands I found Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood are best value for the dollar. They produce a quality product and produce industrial level units. Motorola is great but overpriced. Personally I wouldn't buy the Beofung type units. As one fella posted he has great luck with his but the problem is quality control. Sometimes they make good ones but you get a number of bad ones as well. Not what you need when you're in a pinch. eBay has the best prices I find and also order extra battery packs that will take alkaline or lithium batteries for a backup when you're walking.
Never buy a unit that can't be front panel programmed. The technology that is available today leaves no need to take a radio to a shop to be programmed. Forget all the fancy bells and whistles that come with the radio. Learn the basic functions and keep a manual in the glove box or a digital copy on the cell phone. Learn by rote how to reset the radio to factory condition since it might be necessary to turn off some weird option that was accidentally turned on.
With VHF, distance is more about the country you're in than it is about the output power of the radio. More power is good but height will get you distance. With a handheld you can climb a ridge to get in contact but you can't do that with a dash mount (easily). A fender mount antenna is way more efficient than the rubber ducky type on a handheld so mount one on your truck and get an adapter that connects the cable to your handheld. This will easily double your coverage. One advantage of CB over VHF is that CB can get huge distance. Antennas are real fussy with CB and coverage is hit and miss however.
For VHF FM make sure the frequency band is 134 to 174 MHz. This covers all the logging and other commercial operators in the province. Nobody will bother you if you need help and you're not authorized for the channel. Also write down the frequency of the logging road your on even if you don't plan to use it. Trying to remember the frequency 2 hours later when the truck won't start sucks.
I would always use VHF FM over CB just because that's what the loggers use.
Send me a PM if there are any radio questions I might be able to help with. Stay off the 139 MHz or r you will be talking to the RCMP.

shank
02-18-2015, 04:58 PM
i just got a i-com ic-F 3GT given to me its like brand new still in the boc was wondering is this one any good ...

CLoverdale
02-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Looks good according to the specs. Lots of bells and whistles that can make it difficult to operate. One thing is to make sure you turn off the "beep" function. The bloody thing will beep for all types of reasons. Not good when you have it in your pocket while walking or sitting on a stand.

BCMarc
02-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Going to go with the ICOM V8000. But still trying to figure out my best antenna set up. I'd rather a permanant mount, not magnetic, but I also want it mounted somewhere in the back, along the bed rail or somewhere like that, rather than the roof or hood.

For you guys in the know, what is an appropriate rig for such a set up?

Johnny G1
02-21-2015, 09:52 PM
I have mine on the left front of windshield, also have a mag mount that I use in the house or on the car.

Lastcar
02-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Going to go with the ICOM V8000. But still trying to figure out my best antenna set up. I'd rather a permanant mount, not magnetic, but I also want it mounted somewhere in the back, along the bed rail or somewhere like that, rather than the roof or hood.

For you guys in the know, what is an appropriate rig for such a set up?

Please tell me immediately the first time you use it to order a slice of pie to go. And check the lotto numbers.

Drillbit
02-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Please tell me immediately the first time you use it to order a slice of pie to go. And check the lotto numbers.

Darlenes Kitchen was in Horsefly for years.

154.100(ladd 1) and you could order anything off the menu. She was a local enclosed trailer kitchen and was a base station dispatch up till 2 years ago when she pulled the pin. There's still a trailer set-up in the summer by Clarkes that even serves beer in a can (if you know how to ask), but no radio anymore, even tho I've requested it.

You can joke and think it's hazzard countyish, but that's that way things are an hour+ from cell service.

Lastcar
02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Darlenes Kitchen was in Horsefly for years.

154.100(ladd 1) and you could order anything off the menu. She was a local enclosed trailer kitchen and was a base station dispatch up till 2 years ago when she pulled the pin. There's still a trailer set-up in the summer by Clarkes that even serves beer in a can (if you know how to ask), but no radio anymore, even tho I've requested it.

You can joke and think it's hazzard countyish, but that's that way things are an hour+ from cell service.

Oh I am not joking. I think that is fantastic.

I grew up in a small town...albeit no where near as small as Horsefly.

I remember the tail end of the small town quirks like this as times were changing...I love places where time has stood still. As much as it can anyways.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-23-2015, 09:11 PM
I use magnetic mounts inside both my vehicles and have an adapter for the hand held if I want to use it with these antennas. Range has never been an issue for me. I call out my km's when needed and just listen the rest of the time. Trying to keep out of the working peoples hair. I think a lot of (new) users are overly concerned with RANGE. Seems to me that just about all newer style radios will work nicely for the average person. No matter what the law is, all the professional people out there on the resourse roads appreciate others having a device to communicate with them.

toad
02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
I ordered a baofeng gt 3 mark 2 ( I believe ) it was cheap so I thought I would try it out.
Now do I have to do anything to it to hear logging trucks on fsr's? Can i get to the start of a fsr and program in the road frequency to hear the trucks? I Dont have the radio yet.