PDA

View Full Version : Regional wildlife management - all bad?

Gamebuster
02-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Seems like I read complaints about almost all regions and the way wildlife is managed. It's obvious some appear to be worse than others.

Is there any region that is well managed in anyones opinion?

r106
02-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Im interested to hear peoples thoughts on this. Region 3 and 7b you hear the least amount of complaints about around here

HarryToolips
02-15-2015, 09:43 PM
I've only been hunting since 09, so I'm far from an expert, but I hear many on here who know their stuff say that Reg 3 is the best run...seems to be, they have long seasons for deer, and continually you see big bucks coming from there..

Here in reg 8, I think it's run well, though as one good guy I know says, it would be nice if we could do some counts on the mule deer especially...and from my observations the moose are doing fine, it's too bad they cut the spike-fork GOS back, though it would help if we reduced the access roads density..

02-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Our Wildlife Biologists and Managers are doing the best they can with what they have or have had in the past. This Present Government has cut and cut into all aspects of the science of BC wildlife management. $$$$ are not getting to where they need to be. BC Wildlife has gone big business, you have to wonder if the Liberals think it will manage itself.

Now, they have made unpopular political decisions rather then science and are about to even make it worse.

About the only thing I can agree with is the Wolf Kill presently under way here in BC. I just hope its not to little to late, they need to expand it if any thing. Man disturbed the cart many years ago, now ALL wildlife needs to be managed .... and not from behind some desk in Victoria

i do think region 3 and 8 bios have done a Good job even with the cutbacks

rgn5hunt
02-15-2015, 10:53 PM
I have had positive thoughts on how Region 3 is managed. Good long season on leh moose oct 1 to 31 or all of nov. and they have a cow calf draw for ratios, based on science and a spike gos.. Same for some of the areas near Prince George.

boxhitch
02-16-2015, 08:35 AM
I bet all the regions have a wish list of things they want to do for the benefit of wildlife , if the money was available . And when a few paltry dollars do come their way they pick what gets the best bang for the buck at that particular time , as timing always seems to be poor.
So to the original question , what management decisions or actions do you think have been 'bad' for wildlife ?
Keep in mind wildlife managers have little to no influence on forest practices or logging , or increased access , or habitat destruction .

Down South
02-16-2015, 08:46 AM
It would sure be nice to see some better management in Region 8, I can not believe that Okanagan Lake is not being managed to make it a destination fishery, as a life long fisherman on Okanagan, I think it really could use some help

Wild one
02-16-2015, 08:58 AM
region 6 has the best management to benefit both hunters and wildlife in BC in my opinion.

Unfortunately for the most part BC is managed by LEH/point restriction/GOS stuck in the stone age compared to many areas in North America.

I have spoken to some great Bio's and it seems BC is managed more by politics than anything else.

bruin
02-16-2015, 09:02 AM
It would sure be nice to see some better management in Region 8, I can not believe that Okanagan Lake is not being managed to make it a destination fishery, as a life long fisherman on Okanagan, I think it really could use some help

That's fresh water fisheries. Non-gov organization. Seperate from wildlife

XMD70
02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Keep in mind that the Liberal government claims that hunting in BC brings in $350 million each year. Only a tiny fraction of that money is recycled into wildlife management or habitat enhancement. Revenue collected by the provincial government from hunters is mostly diverted to things like the new roof for the BC Place Stadium, or upgrading the Sea to Sky Highway.

Doostien
02-16-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm in 3 and it seems pretty well run, all things considered. I think region 3, like most others needs a predator control plan put into effect. Someone on this site once recommended giving people 'points' for each confirmed predator kill, and those points would raise your chances of getting an LEH. I know a lot of guys shoot wolves/coyotes when they see them, but few actually seek them out. Predators rarely seem to be managed.

I've always thought the whole province would be run better if we changed the LEH and made it less cash-grabby. Maybe for five years do a complete closure on an animal like moose or elk. Then after five years there would be a larger population base, so more hunting opportunities after, hopefully more than was lost.

two-feet
02-16-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm in 3 and it seems pretty well run, all things considered. I think region 3, like most others needs a predator control plan put into effect. Someone on this site once recommended giving people 'points' for each confirmed predator kill, and those points would raise your chances of getting an LEH. I know a lot of guys shoot wolves/coyotes when they see them, but few actually seek them out. Predators rarely seem to be managed.

I've always thought the whole province would be run better if we changed the LEH and made it less cash-grabby. Maybe for five years do a complete closure on an animal like moose or elk. Then after five years there would be a larger population base, so more hunting opportunities after, hopefully more than was lost.

Respectfully, I think you need to research wildlife management in more detail before proposing a close to hunting opportunities. Other people on here are more qualified than I, but here is the short version:

LEH bull: killing a certain percentage of bulls (moose and elk) will have no adverse effect on a population.

LEH cow/doe: a management tool to reduce a population so as to avoid large scale die-offs in harsh natural conditions, making the herd more sustainable.

So your heart is in the right place but the strategy is wrong. However,the point system for predators is an awesome idea. If our LEH opportunities were to be raised by taking down wolves then I bet enough would be taken out to make a difference.