PDA

View Full Version : Just sat next to Jim Shockey on a flight from Victoria

tripleseven
02-15-2015, 03:20 PM
I must admit I had preconceptions about what he might be like, but what a great guy. We talked about everything from the new wave of hipster hunters, to how maddening Blacktails are, to the GOABC allocation issue. I was pleased to learn he left GOABC a couple years ago because of disagreements with their leadership, and the direction they were going. He is quite reasonable in what he think the allocation should be....he see's it somewhere less than 15% on average.

I wish there were more guys like him in the guide business. He's definitely a guy I'd like to have a beer with again.

The Dawg
02-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Well then he needs to come out publicly and say that- instead of sitting on the fence on his posts.

monasheemountainman
02-15-2015, 03:25 PM
This^ I know hes an outfitter but if he doesn't agree with GOABC he should be helping us in this issue

tripleseven
02-15-2015, 03:29 PM
interesting, he'd said he wasn't popular with the BC Guides, but I truthfully havent read any of his posts...where would a guy find the ones you're referring to?

Thanks...

The Dawg
02-15-2015, 03:31 PM
https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyFanPage/posts/794894880560499

Many of you have asked for me to make a statement on the British Columbia Allocation Policy...so here is my position. 'I refuse to take a side in a fight that pits hunters against hunters.'
And when the fight is over, it is my sincere hope that both sides will shake hands and get back to our greatest responsibility as hunters, caring for the wildlife in this province.
I would ask both sides to ask themselves this, 'Will it really matter what the Allocation ratio ends up being, if the wolves are allowed to continue decimating the big game populations of this province?'

tripleseven
02-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Well to his credit, he did did say that he was neutral on the matter, but then went on to say that he see's a fair allocation as less than 15%. I thought it was telling he left GOABC 2 years ago with disagreements with their leadership and direction. The problem, of course, isn't with the concept of guide outfitters, but with the greed of the current GOABC.

The Dawg
02-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Well to his credit, he did did say that he was neutral on the matter, but then went on to say that he see's a fair allocation as less than 15%. I thought it was telling he left GOABC 2 years ago with disagreements with their leadership and direction. The problem, of course, isn't with the concept of guide outfitters, but with the greed of the current GOABC.

Yes- he publicly said he was neutral.

But he told you he sided with the RH.

So hes not neutral- hes just saving face

300H&H
02-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Never did I think or did he ever give a reason to believe he is anything other that a nice guy.

Perhaps there are hunters/HBC members that have issue with him, but I will ask them this question..."what did he ever do to you to deserve your disdain or criticism" ?

LupieHunter
02-15-2015, 04:17 PM
I met him a few years ago at the BC Sportman's and Hunting show at the Tradex in Abbotsford. Pretty cool guy. I've also met his daughter Eva a few times times. She as well as one of the Beasley brothers from Canada in the Rough were at the BCWF AGM fundraiser in Richmond a few years back.

GoatGuy
02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
No surprise here. Lots of people quit GOABC in the last 5 years. A lot of outfitters who don't agree with the direction they took. The old school guys who still hunt, run high success rates and don't see resident hunters as a problem.

Lots of outfitters in BC who are still hunters, who care about wildlife and support resident priority. Unfortunately they are being drown out by the outfitters who won't pitch in on wildlife projects and believe the resident hunter is an inconvenience and that it is better and easier to take wildlife away from resident hunters then it is to make more.

This is killing outfitting's social license in BC.

Whonnock Boy
02-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Agreed. His public support would go a long ways. He should be standing beside the common man, we make him famous, not the rich guys that use his services, or the wealthy people he hobnobs with. I have said before, I gained a lot of respect for him after watching his Joe Rogan interview. Sadly, the op's comments detracts from that respect. His voice can be heard like no other in the hunting world, yet he chooses not to use it. If I was in his shoes, I would be standing right beside those who have come out to fight this policy. He certainly does not have to worry about financial losses.

Well then he needs to come out publicly and say that- instead of sitting on the fence on his posts.

Drillbit
02-15-2015, 08:37 PM
I met him up the halfway a few years ago. I rather have a beer with Colorado Buck.

bc cooker
02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Wow. That's amazing!

Husky7mm
02-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Never did I think or did he ever give a reason to believe he is anything other that a nice guy.

Perhaps there are hunters/HBC members that have issue with him, but I will ask them this question..."what did he ever do to you to deserve your disdain or criticism" ?

X2, really solid guy. I think the haters are just jealous of his self made success. He is living his dream.

Citori54
02-20-2015, 11:21 AM
X2, really solid guy. I think the haters are just jealous of his self made success. He is living his dream.

I agree. I met him several years ago at a golf range where he was getting lessons.....he was a great guy, very friendly and down to earth. Good thing he's not trying to make a living golfing though:lol:.

Drillbit
02-20-2015, 01:05 PM
I agree. I met him several years ago at a golf range where he was getting lessons.....he was a great guy, very friendly and down to earth. Good thing he's not trying to make a living golfing though:lol:.

At least he wouldn't get scope bite anymore tho!

Seeker
02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
I am curious if anyone that is not a hunter would know who Jim Shockey is? I am guessing VERY few if any. I'll bet a lot of hunters don't even know who he is. So, we as hunters mostly know who he is already and I am pretty sure we all know how we ourselves feel regarding the allocation issue, So what influence is he going to have if he stands up in front of the general public (who don't know him) and resident hunters (who already know how they feel) and says he sides with resident hunters? Where is he going to voice such an opinion? On his American based TV shows? That would have very little influence on the fight here. So he stands up in BC and supports resident hunters and burns any bridges he has with any guide outfitter colleagues he has here. He really has no reason to get involved in this mess. It affects him minimally. This is the fight of the BC resident hunter. Just because a famous American Guide who happens to own a BC territory and is not a member of the GOABC, doesn't jump on our bandwagon, shouldn't result in a bunch of us bad mouthing him.

Whonnock Boy
02-20-2015, 05:30 PM
He is Canadian, and resides in British Columbia. I believe he moved out here from the prairies, and was a BC resident hunter, long before he became a famous hunter extraordinaire.

Just because a famous American Guide

Wild one
02-20-2015, 05:36 PM
He is Canadian, and resides in British Columbia. I believe he moved out here from the prairies, and was a BC resident hunter, long before he became a famous hunter extraordinaire.

Correct he is Canadian

180grainer
02-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Yes- he publicly said he was neutral.

But he told you he sided with the RH.

So hes not neutral- hes just saving face
Give the guy a break. What, are you George Bush now, "if you're not with us you're with the Terrorists". He's got a right to stay neutral if he wants, just like you do. Just like everyone does. He's got a big following with resident hunters and he no doubt has strong relationships in the guiding industry. For him, sitting on the fence might make perfect sense.

Seeker
02-20-2015, 06:08 PM

Look at that, I learn something new everyday:p.

tripleseven
02-20-2015, 08:48 PM
I am curious if anyone that is not a hunter would know who Jim Shockey is? I am guessing VERY few if any. I'll bet a lot of hunters don't even know who he is. So, we as hunters mostly know who he is already and I am pretty sure we all know how we ourselves feel regarding the allocation issue, So what influence is he going to have if he stands up in front of the general public (who don't know him) and resident hunters (who already know how they feel) and says he sides with resident hunters? Where is he going to voice such an opinion? On his American based TV shows? That would have very little influence on the fight here. So he stands up in BC and supports resident hunters and burns any bridges he has with any guide outfitter colleagues he has here. He really has no reason to get involved in this mess. It affects him minimally. This is the fight of the BC resident hunter. Just because a famous American Guide who happens to own a BC territory and is not a member of the GOABC, doesn't jump on our bandwagon, shouldn't result in a bunch of us bad mouthing him.

Well put, Seeker. Although I think he's from BC.

LupieHunter
02-20-2015, 09:37 PM
He is actually from Vancouver Island.

f350ps
02-20-2015, 09:43 PM
He is actually from Vancouver Island.
Actually, I'm pretty sure he's from Saskabush! K

Lastcar
02-20-2015, 10:25 PM
According Wikipedia...

Hometown: Saskatchewan Canada

That is a large home town....the whole damn province. ;-)

Oh Wikipedia.

LupieHunter
02-21-2015, 10:38 AM
He was born and raised in Saskatchewan but has lived on Vancouver Island for many years.

steel_ram
02-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Thought he had a home on Quamichan Lk. (Duncan). Why would anyone live in Sask. if they didn't have to?

Husky7mm
02-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Thought he had a home on Quamichan Lk. (Duncan). Why would anyone live in Sask. if they didn't have to?
Huge whitetails, resident only huge mule deer, resident only elk and moose too IIRC.

180grainer
02-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Huge whitetails, resident only huge mule deer, resident only elk and moose too IIRC.
Plus second to none grain fed waterfowl and killer yote hunting.

Clint_S
02-22-2015, 10:45 AM
I met Jim briefly around 1993 just after he had purchased Wayne Wiebe's area on the north Island.
Had a quick breakfast at the Pioneer then headed out with Dave Fyfe to locate this guy who had been wounded the previous day.

http://www3.telus.net/airedales/images/den_bear.jpg

Jim seemed like a nice guy then and more credit to him if he has stayed that way after all the years doing what it takes
to get where he is today.
It is my opinion that generally when you turn hunting into a business built on profit and promotion the outcome is not what you would hope for.

Just as an aside I never saw anyone skin a bear faster that Dave.