PDA

View Full Version : spring bear is so close

luger
02-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Hey everyone, after picking up a beautiful new rifle just a few weeks ago, sako A7 in 270 wsm, I'm getting ready and starting to plan my spring bear trips. I normally plan my spring bear trips all im May but because it has been such a warm winter ( ski resorts are closing for the season because its so warm) I was thinking of starting a bit early, first trip is planned for April 18-19 weekend. In my mind bears should be out nice and early cause the warm winter. What are you thoughts about bears being out early?

BearStump
02-14-2015, 08:05 AM
unless there's some drastic weather changes between now and then, I think you're probably right. Cant wait myself. Already have all the spices ready for about 100 lbs of farmer, garlic, sausage and pepperoni. mmmmmmmmmmmm spring bear.

jtred
02-14-2015, 11:05 AM
If this weather holds we are likely in for an early spring, however it is only February and this is Canada so I'm not going to get too excited just yet. We could easily get another month of cold wintery conditions. Even down here in the deep south of the Kootenays we could get another blast. We have been breaking temperature records here the past few days or so and I actually raked up my backyard, fertilized, pruned the sour cherry tree, and gave the roses/grapes a radical haircut. Cleaned up the garden beds a bit and may actually get some manure and mulch them. Can't wait for spring hunting season first turkey and then bear, or maybe carry both guns just in case.

luger
02-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Hey. I got a question. Reading the regs and it legal to shoot 2 spring bears as long as the region has a 2 bag limit or you hunt in to different regions right?

j270wsm
02-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes, you can shoot 2 bears in the spring.

Sofa King
02-14-2015, 03:54 PM
definitely an early spring.
hell it's been spring for several days already.
plants are putting up new shoots already I noticed.
has anybody ever any connection to bears out of their dens and the first robins showing up?

high and to the right
02-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Hey. I got a question. Reading the regs and it legal to shoot 2 spring bears as long as the region has a 2 bag limit or you hunt in to different regions right?

You can shoot 2 bears during regular hunting season any time in 2015 - it doesn't have to be in spring. Many hunters shoot one in spring and save a tag for fall in case they run into that monster of a life time while moose/elk/deer hunting. Others shoot a meat bear and then hold on to the other tag for a trophy, or if they fill their ungulate tag and have time left on their hunt, they will still have their bear tag so they can keep hunting.

hunter fisher
02-14-2015, 05:44 PM
do you guys remember when spring grizz draw was completed last year?

adriaticum
02-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Apparently grizzlies in Montana are starting to show up.

mastercaster
02-14-2015, 06:28 PM
While flyfishing the Vedder R. last weekend my buddy and I saw a bear come swimming/floating by us with what seemed like no troubles in the world heading towards some good rapids so she wasn't going to get out of the water for a good bit. The only problem was about 75 yards up from us are two little fellas, one black and one chocolate, bawling their brains out for being left behind by their mamma. LOL Pretty cool sight to see. So the bears are definitely out and about in the lower rainland.

Just
02-14-2015, 07:14 PM
That's soo cool where abouts on the vedder

mastercaster
02-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Mid river in the area of Wilson Rd. The mother went into the river just above the creek that flows into the river. The water was much higher than normal, faster, too. Cubs didn't follow! She wouldn't have been able to get out until she got down to the bottom of gun barrels,,,,,at least on her side of the river because the bank is much too steep and cliffy. When my buddy and I made our way down river we kept expecting to run into her on our side making her way back.

I love see chocoalte coloured cubs. Have always wondered if guys prefered to have a rug made from a chocolate coloured bear if given the choice?

markomoose
02-14-2015, 11:30 PM
Depends on where you live!!It ain't that close.

todbartell
02-14-2015, 11:34 PM
It's nice to get out in late April but I find you're just burning gas until May10th or so

adriaticum
02-14-2015, 11:45 PM
While flyfishing the Vedder R. last weekend my buddy and I saw a bear come swimming/floating by us with what seemed like no troubles in the world heading towards some good rapids so she wasn't going to get out of the water for a good bit. The only problem was about 75 yards up from us are two little fellas, one black and one chocolate, bawling their brains out for being left behind by their mamma. LOL Pretty cool sight to see. So the bears are definitely out and about in the lower rainland.

Some of those bears in the whack never sleep.
This is what I heard.

Brambles
02-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Looking forward to bear season, after getting skunked on elk in 2014.. I think some sausage is in order!

ducktoller
02-15-2015, 01:48 PM
It's nice to get out in late April but I find you're just burning gas until May10th or so

With the melt so early on the coast and greens already sprouting in some places, April could be a good month I think!!!

ducktoller
02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
This is what I heard.

That's what I heard too, believable since a lot of bear regions never hibernate!

srupp
02-15-2015, 03:29 PM
hmmm when you look at the numbers here in central BC it doesn't really make too much of a difference..best day of spring bear hunting around Mothers Day or slightly before.. but it is getting out onb a sunny day with some snow bank still around and glassing...lower mainland is different..

cheers
Steven

btridge
02-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Already saw my first black bear of the year and the grass is starting to green up here already, snow levels are way up the mountain compared to normal years.

HarryToolips
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
That's wicked btridge, can't wait! Can't wait to give my Rem700 it's first harvest...

mastercaster
02-15-2015, 04:46 PM
This is what I heard.

They probably just have long naps! I saw another one today,,,,,different bear but close to the same location. Had three of these guys walk right behind me. reeled in the fly line and they walked nonchalantly on by. Man, are they ever camouflaged. I assured them they're not up for sale to our neighbours down south.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/mastercaster07/IMG_0070_zps489xr8ez.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mastercaster07/media/IMG_0070_zps489xr8ez.jpg.html)

jtred
02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
I won't really be concentrating on bears until after the turkey season is either over or I get one. I may have my 25-06 along when I know I'm just going to sit and call not too far away from the trail but until I've bagged a gobbler or the season is over bear is definitely on the back burner. I do plan on getting in as many weekend backpack trips into a road closure I know is snow free by the middle of May and greens up early. I'd really like to get a bear in the freezer to try the meat. I plan on smoking my own hams, try a few roasts, and make the rest into burger. We'll see, if the family likes bear meat I'll definitely be buying a tag each year, if they don't I won't bother. I'd like a bear skull for the backyard as well, interesting decoration in the fern garden. Does anyone know if the hides are worth anything and if so who buys them? I have no plans for a rug or a mount so if I get a nice colour phase maybe someone might want it?

adriaticum
02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Bears on the sea to sky

http://www.news1130.com/2015/02/16/warm-weather-brings-bear-activity-in-the-lower-mainland-sea-to-sky-corridor/

Ron.C
02-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Can't wait to get out this spring. Was very limited in time last spring and only got out a couple times.

As far a bear hunting in April, agree with most that things usually don't pick up until May. That being said activity can easily move a couple weeks left if the winter was very mild and snowline is much higher than normal. I shot one of my biggest bears on Van Isle on 22 April. I saw 4 bears on this day, two were shooters. You may not get a bear or even see one in April, but you definitely won't if you stay at home.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Melt is like late March around here at the moment. Things can potentially cool off again but the southern exposures are way ahead of the normal.

Buzam
02-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Super psyched for bear season this year. I bet I'll be out there early.

ACE
02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Have seen bears in every month of the year here on the Island .....
We have no snow or snow pack ..... it's like mid-April here now .....
Was out looking for elk on the weekend .....
No bear yet ...
Will be in Copper Canyon tomorrow.

kilometers
02-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Mmmmmm bear jerky!!! I'm goin for the bow hunt thus year. Hope I can do it, if it ends up to difficult Rifle it is!

cromey
02-17-2015, 06:51 PM
im super pumped for spring bear gotta love big game early in the year