PDA

View Full Version : Rookie on a spring bear hunt.

steadly93
02-12-2015, 12:35 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to do my first real black bear hunt this spring around Merritt or Kamloops, I've bought a tag before just in case I got lucky but now I would like to actually dedicate some real time towards it. Just wondering if anyone had some tips for a rookie!

The Dawg
02-12-2015, 12:45 AM
South facing slopes. Drive slow

GrandA
02-12-2015, 12:57 AM
how far are you wanting to travel?

bc_buckshot
02-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Basically in a nut shell in early spring drive any roads that have grass on it, first and last light be there. Watch your wind is always good practise but early bears tend to be stupid hungry. If you see a funny looking stump in a clearing that might look like a bear and it moves. Then you look again with binos and see "oh boy thats a bear".... 99.9% its a bear so shoot it. If you dont, call me and i will come and pick up my mother in law if she is wandering around again Cheers----- shot from the buck!

Wild one
02-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Timing the green up is the biggest thing when it comes to having a hunt that you see the odd bear vs. lots of bears.

South facing slopes are a good start but depending on your timing this is not always the answer. There is such thing as too green. Bears really focus on the new growth do to higher nutrition levels. Also when there is too much feed bears are spread out more. Search for areas where there is new growth about 3-4 inch long and are growing out of old matted down brown grass. Water is another big thing to look for even more so in dry areas.

Most will tell you just to road hunt and yes this works but in my opinion there is more effective methods that produce bigger bears and burn less fuel. My self I would much rather wait out bears in good quite feed areas or walk old deactivations. Old deactivations or washed out roads can be great. The old landings that get good sun light become great little meadows bears like to feed on. Hunting bears this way often can give you the chance on bears that are not alerted to you being there. This gives you more time to set up on them and observe them.

Play the wind and don't move when they are looking your way. There nose is great and eyes are poor but the pick up movement. Get away from well know areas and find a nice peaceful spot. Last light is best but in the right areas you can see bears all day

Good luck and don't head out too early in the spring or you will see nothing

blacklab
02-12-2015, 08:56 AM
If you find sign, hunt it. If a bear has a good feed patch it will feed until it's gone.

steadly93
02-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, some good stuff!

steadly93
02-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Think I will be heading up 3-19 Swakum area if that makes any difference.

Whiterock
02-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Once you spot a bear, dont be in too much of a rush to shoot. Very important to make sure bear is alone and has no cubs,,look carefully before you shoot,,good luck!

nedarb2
02-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Once you spot a bear, dont be in too much of a rush to shoot. Very important to make sure bear is alone and has no cubs,,look carefully before you shoot,,good luck!

spend a day scouting around for sign. when you find the areas with bear activity, hunt those areas. stay on the sign, stay on the bears. it will only be a matter of timing to find yourself in the right place

todbartell
02-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Sleep in.........

Huevos
02-12-2015, 10:34 PM
I'm in region 7 but if you want to drive up, I would take you out and give you a crash course in judging bears. It's pretty easy to shoot a bear, but with a few pointers, you could jump ahead on the learning curve and avoid harvesting sows or younger boars. Shoot me a Pm if your interested.

bc_buckshot
02-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Think I will be heading up 3-19 Swakum area if that makes any difference.

If you live up that way then yeah have at her i know there doing some logging up around there and i guess you can start scouting if you have hunted that area before there are some
bears in there but its not much of a glassing area until all the logging is clear. If you live in region 2 ans going for your first bear just head out around harrison or hope side more on the right side of the fraser. Not saying its more easy but you cam focus finding them more than driving all day. My first bear was in chehalis on a weekday May 1st just past the old slide
before the lake.

If its your first bear and really want one and if size doesnt matter pm when its open and you can take one of many from the field. But i have rules!

Wild one
02-13-2015, 09:07 AM
I'm in region 7 but if you want to drive up, I would take you out and give you a crash course in judging bears. It's pretty easy to shoot a bear, but with a few pointers, you could jump ahead on the learning curve and avoid harvesting sows or younger boars. Shoot me a Pm if your interested.

Nice offer

Wild one
02-13-2015, 09:16 AM
If you add your location, distance you are willing to travel, goal meat bear, colour, or trophy I can give you some locations I would personally hunt.

Some mention region 2 if you live in the valley yes you can get it done here but it does not come close to other regions. Size, numbers, % of colour phase, and less spooky bears are found outside of the lower mainland. I do not hunt the lower mainland much any more for bear other than to kill an afternoon. Yes I have taken bear in region 2 but in my opinion it is worth the time to travel further.

steadly93
02-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Wow thanks guys il get around to pm-ing some of you. I currently live in Kamloops and moving back to Merritt in April, I dont overly want to travel to far and im not after a trophy by anymeans. Just want to get outdoors and try a new hunt, i remember years ago trying bear sausage that I quite enjoyed and maybe getting a rug done if I save my pennies ha ha!

02-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Look for areas with Clover or grasses once it starts to warm up, you may also find better success in afternoon then early morning. Bears are funny, kind of lazy, like to sleep in haha.

steadly93
02-13-2015, 10:59 AM
So at the risk of sounding stupid, why do you focus on the south side slopes?

Wild one
02-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Do to sun light they green up earlier

Ferenc
02-13-2015, 11:49 AM
They like to sh!t on the road ..find this sign is the next thing to seeing one.. Power lines with high vantage point , binos for sure.. Cover ground.
Also roads that run along creeks are good..look for any green up on the slopes..once they start to wake two things happen .. They are thirsty and need too eat some greens to get their digestive system working again ..seem to love dandelions on power line right of ways.. It's candy to them..