PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Oysters..

NorBC
02-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Rocky Mountain Oysters / Prairie Oysters. Decided this year I would try making true Rocky Mountain oysters with a true Rocky Mountain critter. Yup goat balls. Anyone have experience / recipes? Couldn't find anything on the site when I searched, so I decided I would make a thread. I was mostly skeptical because I harvested this billy in the rut so any advice there would be great too... Will post some pics of the outcome. Big Boar I'm looking at you pal.

warnniklz
02-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Check out stwve rinella making buck balls... I wanted to do some this year... but I sucked at killing this year.

If I decide I'll knock over a bear this year I'll do those puppies up

zippermouth
02-10-2015, 09:30 PM
don't you know its tradition to eat them raw on the mountainside!!! :mrgreen:

Brambles
02-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Had prairie oysters for the first time this year, cooked by a German fella, sliced thin, breaded and pan fried, unbelievably delicious!!! I'm sorry to say

pnbrock
02-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm going to grave not having a testicle in my mouth ……period!!!

one-shot-wonder
02-10-2015, 09:42 PM
I was mostly skeptical because I harvested this billy in the rut so any advice there would be great too... Will post some pics of the outcome.

Next time harvest it in the pre-rut....likely more plump and juicy!

avadad
02-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Here is a two minute clip of Steve Rinella cooking venison testicles. I got a pair in the freezer I'll use soon….
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHuic8E-veo

NorBC
02-10-2015, 09:53 PM
I've seen the meat eater clips, it's actually where I got the idea. I was just most concerned about the umm.. Special rut sauce. So if anyone is willing to admit they ate rut nuts that would help aha. Also been looking at some pretty fancy recipes. Thinking of fooling my girl friend for V day :)

Sunzuki
02-10-2015, 11:04 PM
I agree with heading to cremation without sticking another male's knad's in my mouth.
Tuff nuff to keep the man card in proper order as it is now a days.

I say ......... nay nay............ no homo.

bearvalley
02-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Squeeze them dry before you cook them. Lol

warnniklz
02-10-2015, 11:20 PM
I'll eat all them all.. frig all ya...

I didn't like heart for the longest time. .. until i was shown how to cook it properly. .. now it's #1 on ny list... in front of tenderloin

Monashee
02-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Years ago i was part of a calf-branding party in Alberta , the guys went out on horseback then an hour or so later drove in maybe 200 calves . We would brand them which stinks to high heaven and put de-horning paste on the horn buttons For the male calves an old timer would make an incision pull out the testicles about a foot or so clear of the body and cut the cord , then toss the nuts into a pail . He cooked them up later , i think rolled them in a batter and fried them in butter , no taste to speak of but were good. Is just part of ranch life on the prairie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07xgAuDYZo

Brez
02-10-2015, 11:34 PM
probably the same as deer and elk and moose. Dip 'em in boiling water a minute or two. Skin them (1/4"), slice, and quick fry in garlic butter lightly seasoned - diced parsley is a nice touch. I imagine the ones from a mature ram would fill a plate............... I like heart better.

Big Lew
02-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Years ago i was part of a calf-branding party in Alberta , the guys went out on horseback then an hour or so later drove in maybe 200 calves . We would brand them which stinks to high heaven and put de-horning paste on the horn buttons For the male calves an old timer would make an incision pull out the testicles about a foot or so clear of the body and cut the cord , then toss the nuts into a pail . He cooked them up later , i think rolled them in a batter and fried them in butter , no taste to speak of but were good. Is just part of ranch life on the prairie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07xgAuDYZo

x2...although I was in Louis Creek north of Kamloops in around 1969. I had a new movie camera when I chanced upon a multi-family calf-branding party. After taking a few pictures I sat on the top rail of the corral
to watch. I was dressed in denim pants and coat so the cowboy roping calves inside must have thought I
belonged and rode up to me saying 'why don't you get on down and help the old fellow on foot separate calves
from their mothers. Grab a club and get at it.' Too embarrassed to say anything, I did just that. We both got kicked, bunted and pushed around all morning. When they all stopped for lunch, I made my way toward my truck only to get stopped by that cowboy. He apologized and said 'at least come over and have some eats and
a beer'. That's when I noticed all the kids lined up waiting for 'Mountain oysters'. Again, not wanting to make a speckle of myself, I agreed to try them. They were very good actually.

srupp
02-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Hmmm years ago long time rancher suddenly passed away...just at branding time..to his wifes surprise 100 friends strangers showed up and without much ado..they all set to work..I held calves down..the girl I was dating went and helped in the kitchen cuz she could never keep her calves together...lol
For lunch..ya rocky mountain oysters...I agree Dave actually pretty good..
Cheers
Steven

gerrygoat
02-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Thinking of fooling my girl friend for V day :)

Let us know how that turns out :)

I have a real hard time wanting to put something like that in my mouth...........

BiG Boar
02-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Rocky Mountain Oysters / Prairie Oysters. any advice there would be great too... Will post some pics of the outcome. Big Boar I'm looking at you pal.

I've eaten the cow type but I don't do any organs from wild game. Only because I don't know how to cook them to enjoyment. And haven't gutted am animal in 5 years. If you film yourself enjoying eating them and going for seconds, I'd give it a go though. The ones I tried weren't awful.

Citori54
02-11-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm going to grave not having a testicle in my mouth ……period!!!

I agree completely. Grew up on a farm but refuse to eat balls or any organ that purifies the blood or has poop/pee filtering through it such as liver/kidney. The other no go zone is pig's feet......my granddfather used to cook those. All I could think is those feet spent 1-2 years standing in pig sh*&!!!:-(

02-11-2015, 08:32 AM
They were a great BBQ. Add on at the ol Gibsons Firefighters fishing derby besides the raw oysters ....... Every thing was tasting good on those nights ....... Dave, ya need a good moose, elk or deer heart cooked over night in the fire, you'll never throw one away again .... Liver the day or day after the kill, yummy as long as it's not a corky rutted liver .. Kidneys though, no I don't eat piss.

tomahawk
02-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Ive eaten my share of them over the years, mainly from ruttin mules and moose. Key for me is to cook them enough (but not over done) so that they are not a goohy soft texture (self explanatory why). Done this way they are good eats, for most of my hunting partners its mind over matter as to whether they chew on one or not!! Having said that I haven't cooked any up for sometime now!

02-11-2015, 10:11 AM
I hear that they splatter all over the place when they get hot.

Foxton Gundogs
02-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I have eaten lots from calves and some from most species of game animal. The secret is to soak them in buttermilk over night and for those from a mature animal soak in salt water first for 24 hrs. The ones fresh at the branding fire are great but given the chance to soak in buttermilk over night makes them all the more tasty. Then butterfly flour, egg wash and seasoned crumbs or corn meal fry in hot bacon grease . DO NOT OVERCOOK. MMMMMMM

albravo2
02-11-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm already 220lbs just eating the prime bits from critters. I'm not looking for more parts to eat.

I'd have to be pretty hungry to have any set of testicles seem appetizing but I do admire those folks that don't waste anything from an animal.

Big Lew
02-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Tastes like chicken! lol!

SPEYMAN
02-11-2015, 04:20 PM
On a recent trip to Spain, my friend was in a Cafe about to order lunch.

He noticed a man at the next table eating what looked good.

He asked the waiter if he could have the same thing.

The waiter explained that there was only one order a day available, there were "oysters" from the bull fight.

My friend asked if he reserved now, would he be able to get them tomorrow.

The waiter said they would be reserved for him.

My friend arrived the next day and the waiter let him know that his order was being prepared and would be served shortly.

The waiter brought the serving and my friend ate his meal.

When the waiter returned for the empty plate, my friend asked the waiter why the oysters were so much smaller than yesterday?

The waiter replied, "Senor, sometimes the bull wins"

Skull Hunter
02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Funny thing, I actually ate the oysters from my goat this fall. I shot it before the rut, though (mid Oct). I just cleaned them up well, cut them up into strips, dredged in some panko and lightly fried em. Served with some sweet chill sauce and they were good.

Just make sure you get the tough fibrous sheath off of them.

Brambles
02-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Just make sure you get the tough fibrous sheath off of them.

thats called the scrotum.......lol

Quesnel Kid
03-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Well......??

i just live down the street. I will come by and cheer you on if you like. May try a bite.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-09-2015, 07:55 PM
How bout eyeballs??

NorBC
03-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Goat vision would be nice..