PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on region 7-6

Good2bCanadian
02-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Planning a week long end of May trip to the Quesnel area.

A little fishing, a little black bear, a lot of good times!

Can anyone fill me in what the area around Stony lake is like?

Mature cutblocks? Or newer?

Roads, easy to get around?

Quad required?

Not looking for honey holes, just basic intel.

Thanks in advance

PMs welcome.

Timbow
02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
That area was part of the Bowron Lake clear cut from the 1980's. The majority of mature timber is in the higher elevations. The lower elevations is second growth that is very thick. Spur roads are reclaimed and next to impassible. The main road is good but slowly being crowded with brush. It's good for bear if you like to put Km's on your quad or truck.

Good2bCanadian
02-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Thank you Timbow

Jagermeister
02-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I would do it. Camp out over on the eastside about mid lake. The island will just be left of directly off. Hunt bears off toward Slender Lake. Those slopes that face south eastward of Stony will be greening up and the bears will be lounging and basking in the sun. There is also a chance of encountering grizz and wolverine over that way too.
Google earth is your friend along with a topo map to familiarize yourself.
With the snow pack the area received. plan on cool/cold weather camping.

Good2bCanadian
02-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Thank you Jager

I have been researching google earth as well as my Backroads book.
It is tuff to get an idea of the land up there from a book or the screen.

I appreciate the advice!!

This will help me alot

moosinaround
02-10-2015, 05:04 PM
I usually do a few trips in 7-5, that borders 7-6. I love it in the spring for bears! Lots of country to see, you will see bears, and it is the best place to be in the spring. Take your camera, and that clear cut they talk of, is a pretty nice(thick) but healthy second growth forest now!!! See ya out there. Moosin

mcmullmar
02-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Head up towards Nazko. Lots of bears up there. Thats where i'll be heading on the may long weekend :)

quaint bucket
03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Hey everyone, I'll will be heading up to 7-6 too to fill a spring grizz tag. I'm guessing most of these recommendations will work well? Looking to fill the tag. :)

thanks for all the info guys!