PDA

View Full Version : Oyama Lake

zpruden
02-10-2015, 10:20 AM
So I want to take my kids fishing in May and am thinking of either Mable lake or Oyama lake. I want them to have a fun time and am wondering which lake produces more action? I am fairly new to the area and haven't fished either. All suggestions are more then welcome.

Ghengis Khandrey
02-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Are you fishing off the shore or using a boat?

monasheemountainman
02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
I have done really well on oyama over the years but it is definitely not very shore casting friendly.

zpruden
02-10-2015, 01:22 PM
I have a boat its a 16 footer with a 90 on it I also have an electric. not sure if there is a motor restriction on Oyama?

monasheemountainman
02-10-2015, 01:26 PM
yep 9.9, electric will be fine, its a pretty big lake, but tonnes of little islands to explore. road can be rough though if you have a nice trailer you might beat it up a bit

monasheemountainman
02-10-2015, 01:27 PM
mabel would be a better option if you wanna use your 90, that's a big lake, fishing aint that great in my experience, sugar lake which is close to mabel is a bit better.

zpruden
02-10-2015, 02:04 PM
I heard some where that there was a forty horse restriction on sugar. is there any truth to that?

monasheemountainman
02-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Quite possibly I haven't been there in years.

zpruden
02-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking maybe we will just have to hit both lakes and see which one we like better :smile:

monasheemountainman
02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Two totally different lakes Mabel is huge and busy with tourists and easy to get to,oyama is more set up for smaller boats. Fishing is good for fish up to 2 to 3 lbs max. Mostly half that size but that's the fishing I like. When I want big fish we go to the chuck for that. Oyama is a Great Lake to hideaway and spend time with the fam

papahank
02-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Way better trout fishing at Oyama.

Liveforthehunt
02-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Roads is fine getting in ? Unless your driving a lowered Honda civic take it with ease and you will have no issues

zpruden
02-11-2015, 08:17 AM
What's the chuck? lol Is there any other lakes you would recommend I don't mind traveling, I really want to get my kids out to enjoy some time on the water. And again I really appreciate the info thank you

wrenchhead
02-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Mabel lake trout fishing is usually good March april on the lumby end. Other times of the year I have had limited success.

wrenchhead
02-11-2015, 09:28 AM
16 foot boat with the big motor is real overkill on most lakes for the Aberdeen plateau. That said you should be able to get to the bigger lakes like Oyama,beaver,Aberdeen, tones of small fish in all those. Just watch out for wood and shallow water cuz I can imagine that bigger boat is hard to manhandle around.

monasheemountainman
02-11-2015, 09:30 AM
the salt chuck, ocean. Echo lake by lumby is nice and close to Vernon, with good fishing. not out in the bush though if you are looking to get away. adams lake, Johnson lake, monte lake, all easy to get to and would be fun for the kids.

monasheemountainman
02-11-2015, 09:33 AM
never fished it, but you could take hwy 6 to needles ferry and launch near nakusp in arrow lake. I have seen lots of people fishing there, also lake revelstoke which is the damned up river supposed to be great fishing for big dollies, same with kinbasket.

02-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Do you have a copy of the Back roads map book for this area? There are A LOT of lakes within fairly close to Vernon and come ice off, the fishing will be good on all of them. With the size boat you have, the Arrow lakes would be do-able......good fishing for trout and dolly. http://www.sharphooks.com/club.aspx?subpage=fishingforum&thread=1176&action=showthread Road access is good even in winter.

Fisher-Dude
02-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Your boat is a bit big for Oyama. Good place to catch some smaller trout though. Really have to watch for submerged stumps and logs as it was flooded as a reservoir and they didn't clear it before they flooded it back in the day.

Mabel is slower fishing, but more suited to your boat. Good in the spring as mentioned. Oyama also drops off as the warmer weather hits.

Sofa King
02-11-2015, 01:24 PM
whats wrong with kalamalka?
and its about as close as it gets.

kokanee and rainbow are awesome in echo lake.
sugar is great for dollie/bull.
mabel has good rainbow and then salmon also.
shuswap river between mabel and enderby is always fun.
mara can be good.
shuswap is awesome.
then there are many, many more a little farther.

REMINGTON JIM
02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
I have Fished Oyama Lake lots - But the last time would have being at least 20 years a go - it was always good ! - But the road up there was a Goat Trail ! Don't know if it still is or not ? RJ

Dannybuoy
02-11-2015, 03:27 PM
I have Fished Oyama Lake lots - But the last time would have being at least 20 years a go - it was always good ! - But the road up there was a Goat Trail ! Don't know if it still is or not ? RJ

While it is no longer the goat trail it used to be , it is still a long bumpy steep road . I wouldn't pull anything other than a cartopper up there , you would be lucky if you made it up there with your transom intact with a 90 hp on the back . I was there last summer for the first time in 15 or 20 years , fishing was pretty good , easy to limit out on 8"to 20" rainbows like most of the Aberdeen/King Edward plateau lakes.