PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan goose, waterfowling??

cgizen
02-09-2015, 09:06 PM
I was curious what the opportunities are for someone who is thinking of getting into goose hunting or waterfowling in or around the Kelowna area. I live in Lake Country and not sure of anywhere that would be a decent spot. I'm guessing a guy would have to head up to one of the higher lakes. Also would like to find somewhere to shoot over land, no boat or dog. Well not a dog any good for hunting. Lol

one-shot-wonder
02-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Opportunities exist, I saw close to one hundred birds on Benvoulin last night. Probably knocking on doors is a start. Secondly to discharge a firearm in the city of Kelowna limits you must get a permit from the RCMP.

barklee
02-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I will save you some time. When I arrived in the valley I thought the same thing about getting up high to those lakes. I found that there is the odd duck up there but with out a good dog they are hard to get. My advice would be to start watching where they are landing and try to get permission.
Like one shoot said you need a permit to fire a gun in the city limits.
One other thing to consider is the fact that not many people in Kelowna will appreciate you shooting birds. LOL
I am pretty sure that if you got permission out by lake country on some land you wouldn't get as much press. I think you will still need the permit as most of that area is still in Kelowna city limits.
There is a ton of birds out there you just need to start getting permission to hunt where they are landing.

biggyun68
02-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Hi
I am a beginner waterfowler and have been hunting about three years. I am still as green as grass.
Waterfowling with out a dog is not impossioble but I feel is unethical because the dogs will get onto a cripple for you where as by the time you are out of the blind and running in waiters that bird is gone, hiding and suffering. If you ar ehunting over water that is bigger than 25 metres even with a dog you need some form of water craft. You may need to resscue your dog.
My advice is to find someone who is already waterfowling successfully in your area and see if they will mentor you.
There are several on this site and all of them are willing to take on a sincere rookie.

Foxton Gundogs
02-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Hi
I am a beginner waterfowler and have been hunting about three years. I am still as green as grass.
Waterfowling with out a dog is not impossioble but I feel is unethical because the dogs will get onto a cripple for you where as by the time you are out of the blind and running in waiters that bird is gone, hiding and suffering. If you ar ehunting over water that is bigger than 25 metres even with a dog you need some form of water craft. You may need to resscue your dog.
My advice is to find someone who is already waterfowling successfully in your area and see if they will mentor you.
There are several on this site and all of them are willing to take on a sincere rookie.

Sorry Biggy, but I will disagree with you on this point. I hunt a little bit with dogs and we hunt some pretty big water, I have never has to rescue a dog in 56 yrs of waterfowling. There are definitely situations I would not put a dog into but as an owner you must recognize them and act accordingly. You have to think for your dog because a good dog won't quit on it's own. Size of the water isn't the important factor water conditions are. Then again I may be wrong.

B-rad
02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Just wanted to say that I have not used a dog in around 26 years,,,and I hunt birds on everything from rivers,creeks,ponds and fairly large lakes,,,,,buy a horseshoe belly boat and lase up fins,,,you can use any type of chest wader you desire,,,,,plus u can use it as a portable blind and access areas you have never thought of before,,,,if you look at wholesale sports online or in store,,,,they carry a belly boat specifically for duck and goose hunting,,,it even comes with a decoy bag to tow behind the boat

biggyun68
03-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Sorry Biggy, but I will disagree with you on this point. I hunt a little bit with dogs and we hunt some pretty big water, I have never has to rescue a dog in 56 yrs of waterfowling. There are definitely situations I would not put a dog into but as an owner you must recognize them and act accordingly. You have to think for your dog because a good dog won't quit on it's own. Size of the water isn't the important factor water conditions are. Then again I may be wrong.

I agree with you 100% and would say that myself and the poster combined do not have 10% of your experience Foxy and that has to be taken into consideration:
I have not had a retriever yet and as you well know and I am waiting on my first one. I feel that until I could trust myself and my dogs relationship I would still keep a canoe or kayak handy.
I would not forgive myself if I lost one of my friends to lack of preparation and over confidence.
Its one of the reasons I keep myself up to date with my CPR when I go out waterfowling with my present partners.

Definitely 143 :)

Foxton Gundogs
03-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Oh they are pretty tuff Biggy, I watched the Meth Lab chase a cripple for over 1/2 an hour in the water last trip mind you she does have a built in buoyancy compensator but the oars are pretty damned short LMFatAO

Ranger95
03-22-2015, 03:48 PM
I was curious what the opportunities are for someone who is thinking of getting into goose hunting or waterfowling in or around the Kelowna area. I live in Lake Country and not sure of anywhere that would be a decent spot. I'm guessing a guy would have to head up to one of the higher lakes. Also would like to find somewhere to shoot over land, no boat or dog. Well not a dog any good for hunting. Lol

Theres a guy out there (Kelowna) who does really well, I read recently somewhere (another forum) that he maxed out on geese in 35 minutes flat!

It sure sounds good to me, you should try and hook up with him sometime!

send me a pm if you are interested and I will tell you where he hangs out so that you might contact him.

fowl language
03-22-2015, 05:52 PM
jim, why in hell would biggy try and keep up with a train[cpr]? oh yah I forgot 143...d

field marshal
03-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Quite a few years ago we were hunting ducks on Knockers rock, out of Tofino.
Two of our buddies took my boat and headed for town for food as we were starving.
Nearest land was over 2 miles away.
They left Gunner a huge Lab with us .
Some mallards came into the decoys, 1 was wounded and he headed out swimming after it.
When he got out at 2 hundred yards and wasn't gaining on it, we tried calling him back!!!
He eventually disappeared in the distance, we thought , oh great, we've managed to lose our pal's dog.
We were very upset as he had been gone for well over an hour and there was no sign of our friends in the boat!!!
Just as all hope of seeing the dog again was looming, I notice something in the distance.
Here comes Gunner swimming back, guess what he's got the mallard too!!
2 duck hunters were never more relieved to see him!
Yeah he was pretty "KNACKERED'' but what a strong willed retriever.-----Cheers----FIELD MARSHAL.

Foxton Gundogs
03-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Two of our buddies took my boat and headed for town for food as we were starving.
Some mallards came into the decoys, 1 was wounded and he headed out swimming after it.
When he got out at 2 hundred yards and wasn't gaining on it, we tried calling him back!!!
He eventually disappeared in the distance, we thought , oh great, we've managed to lose our pal's dog.
We were very upset as he had been gone for well over an hour and there was no sign of our friends in the boat!!!
Just as all hope of seeing the dog again was looming, I notice something in the distance.
Yeah he was pretty "KNACKERED'' but what a strong willed retriever.-----Cheers----FIELD MARSHAL.

Great story Tony they are tuff and special. Take a bit and read this, my favorite dog story.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=SuJPbxI73QoC&pg=PA94&dq=all+ghosts+aren%27t+white+a+dog+story&hl=en&sa=X&ei=58EQVZaoJMuuogS1nIHoBw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=all%20ghosts%20aren't%20white%20a%20dog%20story&f=false

03-23-2015, 07:45 PM

Sure Hope Ol Gunner was eating bacon and eggs for dinner ! Sounds like a great dog !

CT

Meatatarian
03-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Honestly I'm kinda furious right now. If anyone has some decent information it would be appreciated. I have gone all season trying to find a place to hunt geese this year and never even got a chance to miss! I called a local sports store the other day thinking they might know. They're answer to " can I hunt on kalamelka lake?" Was " sure if you want to deal with swat" !!!!!!!!????!!!!???!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! Fear and ignorance is making an already challenging hobby impossible!!!!! My next phone call was to the RCMP. Who had once again no useful information. Good luck trying to get a conservation officer on the phone to ask them. And even if you do manage to see one in person to ask, even they don't know!!!!! WTF?!?!???!!!!!!!!!!!

So as far as I understand if it's not in the regulations as being a posted no hunting area then it's legal to hunt it. Correct?

So I ask you guys

does anyone know if it is legal to hunt the following? Or not????

duck lake.

wood lake.

kalamelka lake.

Okanogan lake.

Rose valley res.

shannon lake

I know for a fact that skaha lake and osoyoos lake are legal to hunt. The town of Oliver has a goose hunting program. Information is online.

If anyone on here is part of law enforcement or related to law enforcement maybe you can get us some proper answers.

IF THE POLICE ARE THE ONES WHO HANDCUFF US FOR SOONG SOMETHING WRONG THEY SHOULD F-ing KNOW WHAT THE LAWS ARE.

AND CONSERVATION NEEDS TO DO A BETTER JOB OF MAKING THIS INFORMATION PROPERLY ACCESABLE!!!!!!!!

wrenchhead
03-11-2016, 06:49 AM
As long as your not on private property, shooting too close to houses or roads, you should be able to find spots on some of those lakes mentioned

OKsean
03-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Shannon Lake would probably not be allowed. It's within West Kelowna city limits. Pretty populated area there. I recall a story from a few years ago about a man getting arrested for trying to scare geese off the golf course by firing blanks. Imagine if he had actually been hunting. Rose Valley lake is a little bit farther from town but is inside a regional park, at least some of it. Not sure what that means unfortunately.

steelslinger
03-12-2016, 12:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo18EcZxsY

Shoot geese in kelowna... what could happen?

http://globalnews.ca/news/529516/sentence-expected-for-former-kelowna-rcmp-constable-caught-kicking-a-man-in-the-face/

Meatatarian
03-13-2016, 09:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo18EcZxsY

Shoot geese in kelowna... what could happen?

http://globalnews.ca/news/529516/sentence-expected-for-former-kelowna-rcmp-constable-caught-kicking-a-man-in-the-face/

I have seen this many times before. Buddy taverez was a victim of police brutality. Plane and simple. The officer involved was removed from active duty and charged. But what happened years ago shouldn't matter. I'm asking about right now. Is it legal. Someone said you can get a permit to hunt in Kelowna but need insurance? As for rose valley res. Hunting is allowed in some regional parks, during open season. I hunt park lands all the time for coyote. And if hunting isn't allowed then why isn't it marked in the f_ing regulations. From what I understand if it's not posted then it should be legal. I'm tired of having to wonder if in allowed. They impose a ridiculous amount of regulations on us and no proper explanation. When you try and call someone for an answer they don't know either.

HarryToolips
03-13-2016, 10:19 AM
I fully agree with you Meatatarian...I actually have looked into hunting at Rose Valley Res., I phoned the RDCO as it is their park, and they said hunting is not allowed unfortunately in any RDCO park, which includes Shannon Lake as well..it is bull crap, there's a tonne of geese around, so much so that they waste taxpayers dollars to have guys go around and find their eggs and destroy em, yet they do not help hunters whatsoever..

boxhitch
03-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the site , thats quite the entrance, all that yelling :)

The Regs used to include a parks rules, now they say to refer to the Parks website for the latest restrictions.

RC's don't handle fishing or wildlife issues , but will handle firearms issues.

CO's have the RAPP line that handles the dispatching of calls , but it takes time.

Check the Regional District website for the area you want , local bylaws trump Federal or Provincial.

Meatatarian
07-27-2016, 11:17 AM
It's been months since I posted here last. And I still haven't gotten a real answer from anyone. I made several phone calls again this morning and still haven't heard back from kelowna bylaw or the RCMP. Has anyone else found any info? City of Penticton says their city limits reach into the lake. Only 100M. I talked to bylaw this morning and they had no idea what I was talking about.....

walks with deer
07-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Dude some of your posts are getting so Winny I would stay the hell away from kelowna for geese..there's to many yupsters and hipsters from vancouver and calgary that will call and call and call you in.that said
focus you energy on farmland near water...eg north of vernon? Lake country out of city limits...highway 33 or south below pentiction.

hardnocks
07-27-2016, 01:47 PM
i am just a beginner but have done pretty good on geese....if you want to come up to enderby grindrod you can come out with me .

walks with deer
07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
HardnocKS that's a generous offer for original poster..that's a great water fowl area... I am interested myself there the sky was black last october

Conifergreen
09-01-2019, 01:08 PM
I see this is an old thread but I would like to comment anyway. The problem with waterfowl hunting in the Okanagan valley is that there is not a major flyway here. There is on the coast but the next major one is on the prairies. I used to hunt ducks in Ontario and being on the Great Lakes the waterfowl hunting was spectacular. We would limit out in one shoot. I would hunt in marshes and on farmers fields that had been harvested. There was always spilled grain or corn that the ducks would feed on for days. So it is pretty slim pickings in the Okanagan valley. I would love to do some duck
hunting around here but I have no idea where to go.