PDA

View Full Version : tips on hunting around chetwynd

bruce44
02-09-2015, 07:31 PM
So I just moved to chetwynd and this will be my second season hunting next fall. All I got last year were grouse in the Mackenzie area. Any tips and locations to look out for around chetwynd. I always see deer but never any moose or elk.

Daybreak
02-09-2015, 07:38 PM
What works best for you, hand drawn maps or gps coordinates?

Sofa King
02-09-2015, 07:39 PM
ill send a pm.

troutseeker
02-10-2015, 02:35 AM
Stewart lake area is pretty good for moose.

badgreenbird
02-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Better get in & shoot some elk in the Del Rio area before its all flooded out. Lots in there, but beat the crowds by leaving the quad/truck behind.

Boner
02-14-2015, 07:32 AM
Del Rio won't be flooded out. The only flooding in Del Rio is from the beaver dams.

bruce44
02-14-2015, 10:21 AM
What works best for you, hand drawn maps or gps coordinates?

Haha give me your gps with the coordinates already put in.

Otchunting
02-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Get as far away from the roads as possible up there. literally hundreds of hunters...find the worst spot to walk to and no way to get an animal out and you will find big bulls.. And lots of cows, cause lets face it they do taste better...

moosinaround
02-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Funny, everyone thinks the Del Rio is the spot for critters around Chetwynd! Try Lone Prarie, try Ground Birch, try out towards Kitskatinaw, try south of Chetwynd, Hassler, try for 6 pointers up the Sakunka, upper and lower burnt!! Farrel creek, mackalister in and around the last years fire, butler ridge, 12 mile, lots of good spots!! Go try them out, hunt the ruts! Good luck, Moosin

Sofa King
02-28-2015, 01:24 AM
Funny, everyone thinks the Del Rio is the spot for critters around Chetwynd! Try Lone Prarie, try Ground Birch, try out towards Kitskatinaw, try south of Chetwynd, Hassler, try for 6 pointers up the Sakunka, upper and lower burnt!! Farrel creek, mackalister in and around the last years fire, butler ridge, 12 mile, lots of good spots!! Go try them out, hunt the ruts! Good luck, Moosin

ahhh, the burnt river, lots of memories of there.
it is funny, del rio is just the popular name/area that everyone knows.
groundbirch/lone prairie always had lots of bears I found.
hasler flats is a real good area, but can be too popular as well, but then, what isn't if it's accessible.
sukunka river, catch some dollies, cross by boat, and cruise the old road system that goes all over on the other side.
and some phenomenal fishing way back in there.
we would haul our pedal bikes across in the canoe, and bike way back in there fishing.
never saw another soul.

moosinaround
02-28-2015, 02:40 AM
ahhh, the burnt river, lots of memories of there.
it is funny, del rio is just the popular name/area that everyone knows.
groundbirch/lone prairie always had lots of bears I found.
hasler flats is a real good area, but can be too popular as well, but then, what isn't if it's accessible.
sukunka river, catch some dollies, cross by boat, and cruise the old road system that goes all over on the other side.
and some phenomenal fishing way back in there.
we would haul our pedal bikes across in the canoe, and bike way back in there fishing.
never saw another soul.
and I was just spit balling, there are tons of areas all along the corridor there that have big game! If you cannot find big game from some of the spots I have mentioned, I'd hang up the rifles!!;). Moosin

browningboy
02-28-2015, 07:45 AM
The Kiskantiwaw is a great place for elk, moose and deer! Like Moosin says if you can't find game up there then just take up sewing. JJ

todbartell
02-28-2015, 10:15 AM
just hunt the Del Rio. Make sure you have a good side by side or quad. Beat all the trails down and you'll be huntin'!

bruce44
03-03-2015, 12:06 AM
Sorryi forgot to mention that ill be on foot. Since im new to the chetwynd area im not 100% sure where all the roads go so I found ground birch is mostly farmland. Dont know any places in that area that isnt road hunting. Ill explore more in the summer. Too many gas plants in that area. Then again ive only driven brayden road

BRvalley
03-03-2015, 07:47 AM
buy the mcelhaney mapbook at corlanes, 2012 surveys so you'll know where most of the roads go

badgreenbird
03-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Del Rio won't be flooded out. The only flooding in Del Rio is from the beaver dams.

BC Hydro hopes to start construction on the Site C dam this year. If/when the ChristyClark reservoir starts rising, the perimeter of the Del Rio will be under water (level of the Moberly & Peace Rivers will rise considerably!). Plus, the additional development, camps, traffic, power lines that go along with it. Hunt it while you can!

badgreenbird
03-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Sorryi forgot to mention that ill be on foot. Since im new to the chetwynd area im not 100% sure where all the roads go so I found ground birch is mostly farmland. Dont know any places in that area that isnt road hunting. Ill explore more in the summer. Too many gas plants in that area. Then again ive only driven brayden road

You'll do way better on foot than most of the yahoos ripping around on quads hoping to see something. Groundbirch is overcrowded. For several of the places mentioned, it will be important to know which land is Crown & which is private... also the boundaries of the various grazing reserves.. each one has different restrictions on hunting. You've got lots of time to look around over the summer. good luck!

Hunterdev91
11-07-2016, 03:28 AM
Can anyone point me in the direction of some good Deer spots in the Peace region around Chetwynd and Dawson Creek? I haven't had any luck so far and will only have one more chance to get out before season ends. I'll be coming to the peace region around Chetwynd and Dawson Creek area. Hoping to harvest something. If you could help me out with any inclination where to start looking that would be fantastic. Thank you!

elknut
11-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Hey Moosin..Where is this Mackalister you speak of ?...Maps don't show it ..Thanks Dennis..

f350ps
11-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Hey Moosin..Where is this Mackalister you speak of ?...Maps don't show it ..Thanks Dennis..
I would think he's talking about McAllister Creek. K

moosinaround
11-07-2016, 05:11 PM
I would think he's talking about McAllister Creek. K
yup yup!!!!!!!

moosinaround
11-07-2016, 05:12 PM
South of Hudson hope

elknut
11-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys ...Just couldn't find it in my map book ..But now I found it..

Kami
11-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Favels. You do the rest. Moose, Deer, Elk, Grizzly, Black Bear, Grouse. That's all I ever seen up there.

Rackem
11-15-2016, 12:36 PM
I'm working off the Farrel Creek, Kobes, Core Altares areas near Hudson's Hope and I'm dodging moose all day. This morning 8 on the road--a bull and a bunch of cow/calf pairs. Also Mule deer everywhere...sucks when you see animals when you can't hunt. Although this morning got to watch a young lynx playing--thought it was a rabbit at first.
The McElhanney map book is essential to show you where crown is.