PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Little Qualicun River

303savage
02-09-2015, 12:56 PM
I used to fish the Little Qualicum a couple time a week when I lived on the rock.
Move north of Kamloops 39 years ago and only got to fish it a couple times since.

riflebuilder
02-13-2015, 10:36 PM
We used to live on the little Q when I was a kid. Spent every spare moment fishing there. Used to be lots of good fishing there. Was hoping to get back there this winter to try my luck on steelhead. Caught my first ever there about a 12 lb hen. Great place to grow up.

Shuswap guy
02-13-2015, 10:52 PM
I used to fish the Little Qualicum a couple time a week when I lived on the rock.
Move north of Kamloops 39 years ago and only got to fish it a couple times since.

The famous Little Q steelhead run is a just memory nowadays, mostly cutties summer and springs/coho in the fall now.

riflebuilder
02-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I lived there in the early 70's our place was across from were the spawning channels are. with the channels the big hole where we used to fish is silted up where before it was just gravel. The last time I was there was in the early 2000's. to bad about the steelhead run it was lots of fun as a kid to catch the odd one. I really loved catching the sea run cutties, my biggest was almost 4lbs.

303savage
03-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Going down to the rock this week, hope to give the lower part a try if it's open.

303savage
03-03-2015, 10:41 AM
We use to get the odd brown trout in the upper portion of the little Q but I'm talking nearly 40 years ago.

Sofa King
03-03-2015, 01:12 PM
We use to get the odd brown trout in the upper portion of the little Q but I'm talking nearly 40 years ago.

where do the browns come from?
is there still #'s of them?

303savage
03-03-2015, 04:12 PM
where do the browns come from?
is there still #'s of them?

There were browns planted in Cameron lake many years ago and migrated down, Must have been rough for them going over the falls :-)

303savage
03-14-2015, 01:40 PM
I wonder what's happening to all the salmon and steelhead?
We have more rules and regulations and catch and release.
More hatcheries and the the fish numbers keep going down ???

303savage
03-20-2015, 12:46 PM
our place was across from were the spawning channels are. with the channels the big hole

Is that the pool that a lot of people called Mennie's pool?

Sofa King
03-20-2015, 12:51 PM
I wonder what's happening to all the salmon and steelhead?
We have more rules and regulations and catch and release.
More hatcheries and the the fish numbers keep going down ???

rules, regs, C&R, and every other thing they want to throw around doesn't help anything if they don't apply to everyone.
plus, fisheries themselves has a reputation of screwing things up with their ideas of what needs to be done.
then there's pollution, habitat, etc also to consider.

BCTRUCKER
03-30-2015, 07:35 PM
The problem with most of the rivers on Vancouver Island is that fisheries stopped producing steelhead about 20 years ago. Federal money pulled out of the system. I used to catch brood stock on the big Qualicum, then all of a sudden they didnt want any. The hatcheries only kept producing fish for the commercal catch.