PDA

View Full Version : Elk Ivory

tbocking
02-08-2015, 12:26 PM
The first time I took my girlfriend hunting we were successful on a nice bull elk and now we have finally set a date to get married. Now I would like to surprise her by getting something made out of the ivory from that elk. Any one know of where to get something made?
Thanks in advance Ted

02-08-2015, 12:54 PM
I'll be watching this cause I've got 4 I'd like to get done too, ..... Price of gold .... Custom jewelry ..... Might be MIGHTY SPENZIVE LUCY ........

CT

2wheellifer
02-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Flashpoint Custom Goldsmith in Port Hardy does some nice work.

Sofa King
02-08-2015, 01:51 PM
ivory??
was it an elephant/elk mix?

SPEYMAN
02-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Some women like diamonds, there are some that don't have a preference for dead animal teeth.

E.V.B.H.
02-08-2015, 02:02 PM
ivory??
Every elk has two pieces

Steeleco
02-08-2015, 02:07 PM
ivory??

A little light reading for you to catch up to us smart people LOL

https://elkfarmer.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/elk-teeth/

02-08-2015, 02:13 PM
Bought some Nice Moose Turd Earrings for the wife on a back pack Sheep Hunt near Toad once ...... can't say I've seen them since : (( .... Guess she didnt like em .... ... LOL

tbocking
02-08-2015, 06:14 PM
You dont know how bad she will be balling when I give her the work. She has very fond memories of that hunt.

Saskhunter
02-08-2015, 06:31 PM
A friend of mine has a nice ring that his wife had made for him. Not sure it would be nice on a woman's ring. The tooth is pretty big. Any jewelry place has custom jewellers or at least connections for that sort of thing. A necklace or something would look cool if it had an ivory inset in gold. I like the black gold, shiny ivory in black gold would be pretty nice.

Sofa King
02-08-2015, 06:52 PM
wow. interesting.
elk and walrus, hoodathunk.
how on earth did they develop two ivory canines?
is there a connection to something?

Ride Red
02-08-2015, 06:56 PM
http://www.silverspursteamboat.com/elk-ivory-jewelry-2/

Steeleco
02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
SK It's en evolutionary thing!!

ANCIENT TUSKS
Sometimes called tusks, whistlers, or buglers, the canine teeth of wapiti are most commonly known as ivories. Technically, ivory is the term for any animal tusk used as material for art or manufacturing. Elk ivories are indeed tusks, of the same material and chemical composition as those sported by walruses, wild boars, and elephants.

Most people think of tusks as long, pointed teeth rather than the rounded, thumb tip–sized nubs in the upper jaws of elk. These are the tusks of modern wapiti. Their ancestors were armed with fighting tusks used during the rut and as defense against predators. Over millions of years, the canines regressed. Meanwhile, the animals’ antlers evolved into large, showy headgear that acted as a defensive tool. Yet even with their tusks shrunk to mere bumps, elk still retain some ancient behaviors associated with the teeth. When an elk curls its top lip to reveal its ivories, the “sneer” represents a threat posture reminiscent of its prehistoric relatives. Baring canines often precedes charging and striking with antlers or front hooves—the weapons of modern elk.
“Eyeteeth” and “dog teeth” are also correct terms for ivories. While many people associate canine teeth with meat eaters, the name refers to their position in the mouth, not dietary preference. “Buglers” or “whistler teeth” have more obscure roots. Harold Picton, professor emeritus of wildlife management at Montana State University, says the names originate in folklore. “Some people once thought the elk’s whistle, or bugle, came from its canine teeth,” he says. Picton explains that in old elk, particularly bulls, the canines can wear so severely it’s possible to see through the pulp cavity. Hunters postulated that an elk’s musical sounds were made as air was forced through a pinhead-sized hole in the canines.

Ozone
02-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Halibut also have ivory in there ears. I have seen them made into earrings

rides bike to work
02-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I have seen the elk ivorys cut into small pieces and inbeded in a patern or shape on a piece of jewlery it looked great and still told the story any piece that I've seen that kept the tooth shape looked like a tooth. Unless you can get a few hundred and do a nice piece like in last of the Mohicans

02-08-2015, 09:23 PM
On a Bolo tie, Elk Ivory imbedded in a Bolo or Belt Buckle, cufflinks if your into Country Girls .... they've been known to be fun. :shock: :-P

CT

treehugger
02-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Speaking of ivory... Have you seen these bad boys? Himalayan Musk Deer:
http://cdn1.arkive.org/media/05/05C99547-02EC-45CA-8402-A5DA60932055/Presentation.Large/Male-Siberian-musk-deer.jpg

hunter1947
02-09-2015, 06:26 AM
Very nice thought you have good on you thinking this way I am sure she will love to have the ivories its not every day that a lady you love will get this kind of a gift there will be a time you can give a diamond to her another time ,,I to will be looking for the picture on the final results on the ivories..

tbocking
02-09-2015, 10:10 AM
She already has the diamond ring so I just thought it would be a cool surprise to get something done with the ivory

Steeleco
02-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Only you know her and the memories of that hunt, I'd say DO IT. Sorry I'm no help with who might be able to do this for you.

Steve W
02-09-2015, 10:49 AM
These folks did our wedding rings. Kolmel Jewelers in Nelson BC. Has some pretty interesting custom stuff too. Mandatory stop now every time we go to Nelson.

Great idea for a gift too.

Fred1
02-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Ok this is a cool idea! And I learned something while killing a bit of a foggy head today ;)

thunderheart
02-09-2015, 01:01 PM
the man to talk to is walking buffalo ... hell of an artist/jeweler

nature girl
02-09-2015, 03:04 PM
http://www.silverspursteamboat.com/elk-ivory-jewelry-2/

Some of those are real nice.

hunter34
02-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Classic Creations does nice work.

hunter34
02-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Classic Creations in washington does nice work.

BCHunterFSJ
02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Jeweler in FSJ (DJ Jewelry) did a necklace for my wife and earrings for my mother. Did a nice job! However, I have found that the elk ivories do fade in time. That's why I keep them from all the bulls that I harvest...