PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Rally-Central OKanagan Bus Charter?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Trying to get a feel for the interest in getting a couple buses lined up to head to Victoria for the March 2nd Rally.
I'm willing to get something lined-up but I'll be away for the two weeks leading up to the rally so I'll definitely be needing some help with this one.

WE NEED to get as many people to Victoria as possible.

Also looking for feedback into whether we should leave VERY early on the Monday to hit the 9am ferry or should we be looking at getting to the lower mainland on Sunday evening.

SSS

02-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Arriving Sunday would minimize the "Murphy factor". Suck big time to have loaded buses arriving late or not at all because of unforeseen weather or other delays.

adriaticum
02-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Better shoot for the 7 am ferry and reserve in advance

.300WSMImpact!
02-08-2015, 12:25 PM
sunday night ferry is the safest option

ruttinbuck
02-08-2015, 12:57 PM
There was still a reservation available for the 7am sailing from Tsawwassen to duke point then drive back to Victoria
The 7am sailing from Tsawwassen to swartz bay is full for reservations but first come service is am option RB

Philcott
02-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Get there early if you don't have a reservation.

Daybreak
02-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Glad you started this thread Steve. Should be a good place for all the Kelowna area people to pull together.

We need to be aware of the following;

There are currently 3 different ferries running the Tsawwassen - Schwartz Bay route. They have respective passenger and crew capacity's of 1,600 , 2,100 and 2,100. Depending on what ferry happens to be on the two morning runs of 7 and 9 am will have some effect on capacity. If we had 1,200 people turn out for West Kelowna we can all imagine the turn out from the Lower Mainland and everyone clambering to get across Monday morning. With that in mind we might want to lean towards getting as many across Sunday night as possible. Perhaps something could be arranged where we could all get together and have a proper meet and greet prior to the rally. The Monday morning ferries are probably running somewhat close to capacity as it is, let alone having a few thousand RH's wanting aboard. Just trying to consider all the possibilities.

kayjayess
02-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Guys our organizing committee would love to help with the bus situation. Unfortunately our time and budget have other immediate demands that require our attention. Keep up the great work in coordinating this at the grass roots level. Volunteers like SSS and Rutting Buck are getting it done. Take the ball and run with this. If we have some resources freed up in terms of time and money our committee will help out. At the current time it is all on you to do your part.

Thanks to all who have stepped up.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys!
Not much response so far for interest in busing down for the rally. I know the idea has not been out there for very long so things may change.
Guys have suggested getiting the clubs and businesses to step up. Might be easier to fill the buses if they are already paid for??

BTF
02-08-2015, 04:30 PM
If I can't get enough guys to fill my vehicle for the trip then I would be in for busing it. I personally am planning on getting there on Sunday though.

hunterkyle
02-08-2015, 04:35 PM
A bus would be great myself and my daughter will be going.

mark
02-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm definitely in for the bus idea, and don't mind paying, it's a small price to pay in my opinion!

Daybreak
02-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I will bus down.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Just got some quick info from one Charter Company so far.
Can take 56 people.
Cost is $2200 plus ferry cost.

I have had some possible support offered from one club and have been suggested to also look for local business support as well.

IMO-the logistics suggest leaving say around 2 or 3 pm on the Sunday and hotelling it for Sunday night in Victoria.
Keep the feedback coming.

So far I have interest from less than 10 people. I realize the idea started on the long weekend so many people might be away. If we can get the bus paid for first, it might be easier to fill.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys!
The list just grew.

Seeker
02-09-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm in if we head down Sunday night. Otherwise I can drive and take three extra guys or gals. I have a place to stay, so it cheapens it up for me a bit. Others with the friends or family may want to do the same. My first choice would be to support the bus.

Daybreak
02-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Just got some quick info from one Charter Company so far.
Can take 56 people.
Cost is $2200 plus ferry cost.

I have had some possible support offered from one club and have been suggested to also look for local business support as well.

IMO-the logistics suggest leaving say around 2 or 3 pm on the Sunday and hotelling it for Sunday night in Victoria.
Keep the feedback coming.

So far I have interest from less than 10 people. I realize the idea started on the long weekend so many people might be away. If we can get the bus paid for first, it might be easier to fill.

SSS

You couldn't ask for a better deal than this people! Extremely cost effective and worry free. No wear and tear on your vehicle, a chance to spend time with your peers and discuss plans. Do the math and add a few dollars for meals and ferry fare...cheap like borsch!

We need those that want to jump on this to pm Stone Sheep Steve or myself their details and once we have enough we will take it from there...easy for everyone to help the cause.

Be a part of BC's history in the making. I can't wait to see the legislative grounds swarmed by us!

kayjayess
02-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind billets are available on the island for those coming over the day before. If you need a place to stay email us at bcreshunt@gmail.com. First come first serve.

Nice work SSS

Bowzone_Mikey
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM
last time I took a bus over on the boat ... 2012ish ... the ferry fare was about 700 bucks each way (that was a loaded school bus)
I imagine the price will have gone up ... I would factor 1000 bucks each way today as a starting point

02-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Just Booked our Reservations with 6 on board for the 7 am Mar 2 2015 to Victoria

C yaz There !

CT

Stone Sheep Steve
02-11-2015, 01:14 PM
Well folks, between HBC responses and emails, I have interest from less than 20 people so far. If things don't change soon, we may have to drop the bus idea from here.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
02-11-2015, 01:22 PM
last time I took a bus over on the boat ... 2012ish ... the ferry fare was about 700 bucks each way (that was a loaded school bus)
I imagine the price will have gone up ... I would factor 1000 bucks each way today as a starting point

Unless I'm missing something here, I figured $400 for the bus($4.50/ft @ 45') plus $30/person...and that is total for both ways.
Am I way off????

http://www.bcferries.com/files/fares/pdf_format/BCF_Fares.pdf

kayjayess
02-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Well folks, between HBC responses and emails, I have interest from less than 20 people so far. If things don't change soon, we may have to drop the bus idea from here.

SSS

SSS. If you can hang on for a week please do so. We are getting the posters out in the next few days and between that and getting your bus info up on facebook I suspect we should get some more interest. Are you a FB guy SSS.? If so, can you go to the victoria Legislature Protest page and put up the details for the bus. The Kamloops stuff I'd already there. If not please send me the details and I will post.

Thanks for putting all the effort in.

kayjayess
02-11-2015, 02:04 PM

SSS

Heres the link Steve. https://www.facebook.com/events/261875657345726/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Stone Sheep Steve
02-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks K! Unfortunately I don't do FB and will be out of the country for a while coming up.I know Harry offered to step up in my absence. Not sure if he does FB or not.
I'll keep the bus option open for now. Just got the poster in my inbox today so things could pick up.

Status quo for now.

boxhitch
02-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Its the first version of the poster , but gets things started

mark
02-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Seems like there's 1000's of hunters in kelowna area....I sure hope we can get at least 56 people to commit to this soon!

GoatGuy
02-11-2015, 10:59 PM
SSS, have all the clubs send it out to their members.

yama49
02-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Im in, if the bus is a go.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-12-2015, 09:43 AM
SSS, have all the clubs send it out to their members.

Didn't have the regional distribution list but did send it out to all our club members...plus AS and JW sent it out as well. Have had responses from Summerland and Osoyoos.

Will try again with posted attached.

As you can see, I'm not the best person for the job. Organization isn't my specialty:-?.

boxhitch
02-12-2015, 12:27 PM
SSS, have all the clubs send it out to their members.It went to A.S. and he has sent to his list . Also VF&G has sent it out.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2015, 01:25 PM
It went to A.S. and he has sent to his list . Also VF&G has sent it out.

Thanks for the info BH.

Sad to say but I think this idea has lost all steam. Total of ~20 interested people.
Pretty sad really.

On the positive side we have the potential to car pool to keep costs down.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Talked to the charter company today....and they are wide open so it gives us more time to get our act together.

SSS

ruttinbuck
02-13-2015, 07:43 PM
I have room on the bus from Kamloops if anybody from the okanagan wants to meet us in Merritt
We are stopping to pick up at least one rider at approx 430am
back through Merritt sometime in the evening depending on which sailing coming home
come one come all RB

mark
02-14-2015, 01:16 PM
I'd definitely be in to jump on in Merritt, if we don't get a kelowna bus together!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Oceola and SOSA did not get the emails in first round. They now have the info and hopefully the interest will grow.

Wentrot
02-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Figured these would have filled in a hurry. Disappointing so many people don't seem to understand the importance of this.