PDA

View Full Version : East Kootneys Help

dhog
02-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Starting to research a fall elk hunting trip for this coming year and was thinking of the east Kootneys but have never hunted there I would appreciate imput that anyone cares to share

pg83
02-08-2015, 08:53 AM
I posted a similar thread a few years back and got far more information from PM than through the thread itself. Check out old threads on the subject and message people who frequented them.

Here's what I learned:

There is no shortage of elk hunting opportunities in the Koots. It really depends on the type of hunt you are after.
Are you looking for easier terrain or steeper backcountry type stuff?
What kind of base camp are you expecting to have?
Do you care about hunting with other people around?
Are you able to bowhunt or strictly rifle? If bowhunting, do you care how big the bull is?

As a general response, you can hunt just about anywhere in the east koots and you might run into elk. Need a bit more info from you to be better able to help.

I eventually settled on a spot that no one suggested to me. I have hunted it for two of the last three years. No bulls down, but I have learned a ton along the way. First year I went during bow season, had a bull within range, but was unable to take an ethical shot. Opening morning of rifle I had a 5x5 within bow range as well. 2nd season I moved to the adjacent basin, but hunted only during the rifle season. I had 5 bulls within bow range at various points on the trip. Two of them were at least 5 point, but I could not confirm a sixth point(one was last light and one just plain outsmarted me). I was unable to hunt there last season, but I am pretty convinced I will get a bull there next season, especially if I go with my bow. I learned the local lay of the land. Found bedding areas, wallows, feed, etc.

hunter1947
02-08-2015, 09:27 AM
The craven creek rd EK 4-03 area near plumb bob mt is a decent area for elk and deer look on Google Earth for Bains lake then go south west from the lake you will see this area bloom creek fsr..

j270wsm
02-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Elk numbers are way down from 2-3yrs ago, depending which part of the east kootenay's your wanting to hunt. 2014 was an awesome elk season for me but 90% of the people I know had a really disappointing year. General comment a I heard were guys saying they seen way less elk than past years and they only seen 1-2 legal bulls that they wouldn't/couldn't go after.

Pm me if you want more info on the elk valley.

Everett
02-08-2015, 10:08 AM
The craven creek rd EK 4-03 area near plumb bob mt is a decent area for elk and deer look on Google Earth for Bains lake then go south west from the lake you will see this area bloom creek fsr..

This is also one of the heaviest hunted areas in the EK so tons hunters but there is also lots of Elk but the Elk are very paranoid even more whitetail as well.
This season lots of Elk came out the Moyie and Yahk area as well but North of Cranbrook/Kimberley numbers were way down.

hunter1947
02-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Hunting is all about how hard you hunt the further you get away from the roads the odds are better getting your animal lots of heavy hunted areas have lots of road and road hunters there are elk and deer in these areas..

If your willing to get off the beaten path and do some leg work your chances go way up filling you tag there are many places within the area I hunt that has lots of hunters and hunting pressure lots of roads to hunt,,,,, I can go to lots of places within the area I have hunted over the past 47 years put on a hour of leg work and I won't see or find a hunter..

There are lots of mountain side hills within the craven creek bloom creek area that are the same don't have roads these are the areas you will have a better chance getting your animal ,,lots of home work looking at Google earth and topo maps work will also help big time,,,I have hunted the bloom creek area and have seen a fair amount of animals within this area in the past few years did not take any animals was not the ones I was looking for..

GoatGuy
02-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Weary creek in the elk valley.

Bring your hiking boots.

There you go.

Brez
02-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Weary / Aldridge area - Lots of griz, so stay alert when packing out.

zippermouth
02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
there you go you have some areas, put on some miles with you boots and truck. remember one thing, if you read about an area online it wont be a fun, enjoyable hunt, as you will be there along with a ton of other gutpile chasers.

dhog
02-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies gives my some area to start researching. We have been hunting the Peace for the last five years and I am getting tired of the drive and thought I havent hunted the Kootneys yet and I am always into a new adventure

Brez
02-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies gives my some area to start researching. We have been hunting the Peace for the last five years and I am getting tired of the drive and thought I havent hunted the Kootneys yet and I am always into a new adventure
That's quite funny. Met a great guy from Nelson last year and he hunts elk in the Peace region just to get away from the crowds here. He gets packed in and has a great time not seeing anyone else. "Back in the day" we used to look forward to seeing all the guys in the Elk Valley and it was a yearly get-together and party. Hope you find a great spot and meet new friends. It's what you make of it. If you are prepared to wear out some boots and sweat and pack out your meat, you will be successful.

moosinaround
02-14-2015, 08:31 PM
The elk in the kootneys are smart , they don't talk much at all .
A lot of times they will shut up . You wil get a few days over the season were they will be vocal and other than that it's a spot and stock . So if your familiar with the process keep moving cover as many miles as you can . Stop on vantage points and glass all day and night till you locate even cows .
Mark your spots .assume we're you see them they are going up in the morning and down at night .
There will be a herd weather you see all the animals or not .assume if you see a cow the herd is around .
There will be a very large cow she is the lead cow she will guild and protect the herd . She is also the one that will spot you . Once you locate a herd and figure out the movment times 9:30 going up from valley bottoms as soon as the winds change and start blowing uphill . Then you will have to figure out your ambush .
Dont go into there area stay out if you go in were you see them most likely you will pressure them out . Keep your distance . Be able to shoot 300 yards you might have to monitor the herd 3-4 before you get a look at the herd bull . Cow in heat call only and very very rarely .make sure you conceal the direction of your call .
If you want a bull you can go in at the power station at yahk, or in behind moya lake go back 9-13 klm there's your bull . Hunt the tops . Expect to walk 10-20 klm a day
they know quads and leave 20 min before a quad will show .
you are in big bear country plan on walking up on one .
It will happen had 5 close encounters with grizzly last year .
Not only spots, but strategy too! Good on ya for throwing a fellow out of towner a bone! Thats what makes this site worth being a member of! Moosin

.300WSMImpact!
02-14-2015, 09:19 PM
The elk in the kootneys are smart , they don't talk much at all .
A lot of times they will shut up . You wil get a few days over the season were they will be vocal and other than that it's a spot and stock . So if your familiar with the process keep moving cover as many miles as you can . Stop on vantage points and glass all day and night till you locate even cows .
Mark your spots .assume we're you see them they are going up in the morning and down at night .
There will be a herd weather you see all the animals or not .assume if you see a cow the herd is around .
There will be a very large cow she is the lead cow she will guild and protect the herd . She is also the one that will spot you . Once you locate a herd and figure out the movment times 9:30 going up from valley bottoms as soon as the winds change and start blowing uphill . Then you will have to figure out your ambush .
Dont go into there area stay out if you go in were you see them most likely you will pressure them out . Keep your distance . Be able to shoot 300 yards you might have to monitor the herd 3-4 before you get a look at the herd bull . Cow in heat call only and very very rarely .make sure you conceal the direction of your call .
If you want a bull you can go in at the power station at yahk, or in behind moya lake go back 9-13 klm there's your bull . Hunt the tops . Expect to walk 10-20 klm a day
they know quads and leave 20 min before a quad will show .
you are in big bear country plan on walking up on one .
It will happen had 5 close encounters with grizzly last year .

very good information, I agree with this!!

hunter1947
02-15-2015, 08:31 AM
I have not heard a bull bugle in my area in the EK now for 4 years your better off to cow call I find glassing works best then when you find there travel path get in early afternoon and set up for the evening you will see..

nelsonob1
02-15-2015, 09:34 AM

I hunt archery season in this area with my kids. I would not go there in rifle as it is a gong show. elk numbers dropped dramatically in the last two years due to open cow season (a stupid idea) and increased wolf predation. the elk are very, very cautious in this area - don't bother bugling it wont work. you got to walk, sit, sit, crawl a bit, and then wait.

great camping, lots of whities, cutthroat in the creek and a bag full of grouse everyday. one of the best kid friendly camping/hunting areas in the east kootenay. the hiking is easy, the hills are mellow with lots of trails and the vast majority of hunters are driving trucks.

.300WSMImpact!
02-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I have seen and heard lots of bull bugle in this area, but is mostly at late light or over night, but I have to agree bulls dont respond to bugles in this area, unless maybe you are a pro I am not

dhog
02-15-2015, 11:05 AM
thanks again to all its all great info, this is what makes sites like this so good to belong to

Spy
02-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Isent that the truth about bugling the only ones calling is us the hunters
LOl atleast you know where they are ;-)