PDA

View Full Version : LEH success ?

ratherbefishin
02-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Got the coveted 'any bull ' draw.....no luck

ratherbefishin
02-07-2015, 08:28 PM
This will be interesting,getting a successful draw is one thing,filling your tag is another and since we only get an 'Any bull' LEH about once every five years,the odds aren't good we'll be eating moose.Compounding this ,being on the island and travelling a long distance to hunt,we are limited to one moose trip a year,there's no weekend hunts for an immature.
I'd sure like to see a change in the LEH ,we'd gladly take reduced numbers for more opportunity.One moose between four guys is still a lot of meat we'd way better than being limited to an immature(called in A few Bulls,not one immature, never seen one)

papaken
02-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Put in for moose, elk, mule deer, in various areas. Did not get any draws. Did not get any last year either. Guess I could win the lottery, pretend I'm from somewhere else and get me a guide then I would be able to hunt "TROPHY" game. It would most likely cost a lot extra because I want all the meat.

srupp
02-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Hmmm being spoiled with leh success..however what about gos further north? Quad trip? Float a river?
Use a packer? Fly in...all have high success rates for harvest..
I hunted the cariboo cuz I did draw a moose tag...however could have hunted moose..lots of ways.
Didnt close the deal on the moose we did call in..hopefully the elk hunt coming up will be better result..
Couple deer, pronghorn is enough for the winter...
With leh..adapt..?
Steven

Liveforthehunt
02-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Gos up north spend the extra money and you will be successful I have also been spoiled with leh many over the years but still go up north and have only been skunked once usually taking 2 moose between 4 guys with the option to take more but half a moose is usually almost enough with a deer or 2

tuner
02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
successfully drawn once for bull moose (group hunt) two years ago in region 8.Draw was for November 1st to 30th.We were tagged out first morning of the first day. Two nice Bulls down a couple of hundred yards of each other. One of the greatest hunting experiences of my hunting life. Prior to that,I'd never drawn anything.

Caribou_lou
02-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Going up for my Cow Elk Draw next week. Looking like we will have mild weather. Not sure if that's good or bad. All I know is that it's going to be a good time! Bringing the predator call up also, incase we tag out early.

Sofa King
02-07-2015, 11:51 PM
stop giving them my donations years ago.
twenty some odd years of putting 3 lehs in each year and never got drawn once.
myself and my dad, that's 6 lehs every year and zip in return.
I have serious doubts on how legit their selection process is.

Mudzbogger
02-07-2015, 11:59 PM

Ditto, still waiting on my first.....but they still get my donation

itsy bitsy xj
02-08-2015, 12:01 AM
put in for mule doe in reg 2 for two or three years now with nothing

LupieHunter
02-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Been drawn 3/5 times over the past 3 years I've put in for LEH, twice for late season elk and once as a group for moose in region 5. Didn't get to go last year and was skunked the other two times.

Drillbit
02-08-2015, 12:11 AM
Have never "won" an LEH for moose or elk, EVER, so can't really vote. On year 18 now for LEH attempts.

Sofa King
02-08-2015, 12:14 AM
Have never "won" an LEH for moose or elk, EVER, so can't really vote. On year 18 now for LEH attempts.

but the poll is yes/no on having success.
vote a big no.

Caribou_lou
02-08-2015, 12:22 AM
I have been drawn many times over the years. Moose three years in a row. So I can't complain. 4-1 odds. The third time I drew my father called me and said " you'll never guess what you drew!" I started celebrating before I checked online. He wasn't aware I put in for Kamloops lake sheep that year. So I gave him a call later and he said " can you believe it! You've drawn moose three years in a row!" I said "Ya that's great and all, but you had me thinking I was hunting Bighorn this year!"

srupp
02-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Hmmm usualy get 2 or so lehs..every year this year no exception..deer leh...goat leh..moose leh..elk leh...and Alberta pronhorn draw leh..did all but the goat leh in Terrace..howeve no way to give it back..
Once someone draws 2 tags the computer should disble them from any other win for that year..
Not sure if its the black ink, $20 enclosed or what but the system has been unjustly fair to me.took Brandon on his first moose hunt ever close...maybe he can come on my upcomming elk hunt?
Of course I like the bc model..Alberta system is a long wait..10 years for my pronghorn hunt..
The guys who have not drawn moose...why not a short plane flight? Almost certain harvest guarantee.
Embarassed by my draw succes..and wasting my goat tag..however me and my cane will attempt a elk..
Steven

Drillbit
02-08-2015, 02:30 AM
but the poll is yes/no on having success.
vote a big no.

I didn't really know what the poll was asking.

It's new, and LEH's aren't drawn right now so I was kind of confused.

I read it first and though it was asking if a hunter was successfull getting and LEH. Then re-read it and though it mean got and LEH draw, who got the animal?

Still not sure what the poll is for.

Drillbit
02-08-2015, 02:48 AM
The guys who have not drawn moose...why not a short plane flight? Almost certain harvest guarantee.

Steven

Have never drawn moose for the backyard. Neighbour "says" he's been drawn 5 out of the last 7 years now (so don't give me the "apply for a better odds area" line), and he's been successful, as we live here and know where the moose are.

So, when there's no LEH for me....I either run the "buckskin credit card", or go to the nearest GOS. Usually it's easier just to shoot a beef, but I really enjoy a hunting trip with friends and family.

I don't think anybody should be able to win again, until everyone else has won a draw for the species. Put the winners to the back of the list.

This would be easy with a computerized system; but as long as 20 dollar bills, new CORE applicants, and letters of complaints are the draw winners, pulled by hand, it will never be possible.

To me the LEH system could be a useful tool to manage wildlife in certain regions, but the resource isn't being used to it's potential. And then the restrictions.....WTheF are there ATV restrictions in LEH only areas? Oh ya, the guides, that's why......what other reason could there be? Say 5-13 out of the blue

There's so much wasted resources and mis-management(basically no management) of our game it's disgusting.

I am so happy people are starting to see what's going on with game numbers, thanks goabc

ratherbefishin
02-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Given hunting only accounts for approximately 15% of game mortality anyway,I'm not sure how much 'management' has to do with it .I can see limiting numbers on species with low populations,or sought after trophy animals but whether or not limiting hunting on deer or moose is effective in maintaining or increasing the numbers is questionable.

The fact is animal populations tend to be cyclic with periods of expansion and contraction,ie:the plummeting moose population around Prince George where moose were considered to be abundant.GOS hunting cannot be blamed,as that area has LEH

Basically whether animals were hunted or not had little effect on the population,roads,railways,predation,winter kill,disease ,habitat and natural life expectancy accounted for the vast majority of mortality,being 'open' 365 days a year with no preference to age or sex.

But so far the poll is indicating there isn't much difference in the success rate between a GOS or LEH,about 30%.

I recall the late Jimmy Hatter saying that he felt there should be far more GOSs for species such as moose as only having smaller areas with a GOS tended to concentrate hunting pressure,which in turn tended to justify limiting hunting to LEH ,whereas a broader GOS spread hunting pressure throughout the province.

tomahawk
02-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Got drawn for LEH Moose "any bull" in a shared hunt in PG area in 2014. Live on the Island now but lived 17 yrs in PG, know the area I hunt like the back of my hand. We had planned a 2 week hunt to maximize our chances, only spent parts of 2 days hunting, filled both tags quickly and had many more bulls around us everywhere. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?112376-2-Timber-Bull-Moose-called-out-during-the-quot-heat-quot-of-the-rut!&highlight=timber+moose

hardnocks
02-08-2015, 08:46 AM
got a shared any bull draw last season for the first time since 02. But I don`t work a job that you can just take time off when you want it. so only got to hunt for 3 days in 5-02 never even got a peak at any donkey let alone a bull.

Saskhunter
02-08-2015, 08:53 AM
I never got drawn for anything last year! Had 3 applications in.
How does the LEH work in BC? In Sask you apply for the first time in a zone or area and you are in the "A" pool. Generally you won't get drawn from the " A" pool, so the next year you apply for the same zone and you go to "super A" generally always get drawn from that pool. After you are drawn you need to apply again the next year and you go into a "C" pool and work your way up to super A to get drawn again. It seems like a good system, usually always get drawn every 4 years when you hit "super A". Seems fair for everyone, from what I read here some guys get drawn every year and others hardly ever. Must be a lottery?

02-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Over the years our draw system has been good to me. Still have a print out from years ago supplied by the leh staff that at that time showed about a 20% success rate, although that figure included deer draws as well. More recently, its all coming full circle and the draws have been far and very few in between.

pg83
02-08-2015, 09:16 AM
How does the LEH work in BC? In Sask you apply for the first time in a zone or area and you are in the "A" pool. Generally you won't get drawn from the " A" pool, so the next year you apply for the same zone and you go to "super A" generally always get drawn from that pool. After you are drawn you need to apply again the next year and you go into a "C" pool and work your way up to super A to get drawn again. It seems like a good system, usually always get drawn every 4 years when you hit "super A". Seems fair for everyone, from what I read here some guys get drawn every year and others hardly ever. Must be a lottery?

We are a straight up lottery with odds varying depending on the particular hunt you apply for

hunter1947
02-08-2015, 09:24 AM
1988 LEH draw Roosevelt bull elk took a 8x9 bull that's in my avatar..

Steeleco
02-08-2015, 09:25 AM
15+ years of trying 2 of us finally got in on a group draw, my sons first try LOL No matter, tag soup!

markomoose
02-08-2015, 10:08 AM
LEH has been very good to me and crew over the years. We divide our crew and put in a couple of shared hunts and generally one group or the other gets something every other season.As Srupp said adapt. Put in draws with better odds or head north and hit the GOS if money allows. Cheers Mark

birdee
02-08-2015, 10:43 AM
30yrs nada even 2 yrs in a row @ 1.2 to 1 .now in alberta were they say i might actaully get a draw.

Iron Glove
02-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Applied for year, never chosen.
Last year I totally forgot to apply, no change in the result. :)

Liveforthehunt
02-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Must of not been slipping the hundred in the envelope ;) have you by chance been putting in 3 for one species each lol !!!!

russm
02-08-2015, 11:20 AM
We got a group any bull hunt and I got a doe draw my first year putting in, put in every year since and haven't gotten a thing.

Ranger95
02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Must of not been slipping the hundred in the envelope ;) have you by chance been putting in 3 for one species each lol !!!!

Cash in the envelope does the trick, applied three times for LEH in 8 years, got and LEH each year I applied, including the "any bull moose draw"

(250 seems to be the right amount)- :razz:

MichelD
02-08-2015, 11:32 AM
A buddy got a northern Vancouver Island Roosevelt elk draw last year and we went to Nahwitti Lake, Nahwitti River and Holberg looking for one and never saw an elk hair. Met a couple from FSJ who'd spent two weeks in the area without seeing an elk.

Same buddy and me got a shared November moose draw in Region 3 in 2013 and never saw a moose.

He thinks I'm a jinx.

Wentrot
02-08-2015, 04:06 PM
First time putting in last year and got the antlerless mulie. Fingers are crossed for a moose next draw..

Cordillera
02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
We play the odds and do ok. The early moose draw up here is about three to one odds. Because we don't enter every year (we go north for GOS), and we go in for three (four now with my son) people in a shared hunt our odds should be about 1:1. We only enter every three years (otherwise we have reduced odds). We put in four times in the last eight years and have been drawn three times. That is about what the odds would predict.

If we put in for the peak of the rut, the odds are more like nine to one.

The problem is the early draw can be hit and miss. This year my partner got a bull on day two, and then two of hunted hard for the rest of the season (ends sept 24) and didn't see another bull. Came close though. The weather was hot and moose were not moving much. Reports of similar issues across the north. The hunting got good in early October with Bulls moving more.

We track our success and average below ten hunter days per moose down. The average in region six is just over twenty hunter days per moose. Around PG it's closer to forty or something.

My lesson is you can put in for a draw with better odds (early or late season, harder area, etc) but that usually means a harder time connecting with your animal.

albravo2
02-08-2015, 08:16 PM
We are presently waiting for the 2015/16 LEH publication, right? Not like the regs that cover 2 years in one publication?

If so, when do we expect to see the publication? I have to get hunter numbers for all my friends so we can nail down the Squamish River Rosie draw.

Sofa King
02-08-2015, 08:59 PM

bc wants everyone to believe they always have just as good a chance to be drawn every year, so that they'll continue to hand over their money.
I like that system in skatch, at least you almost are ensured of getting drawn, and almost for sure again in 4 years.

604redneck
02-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Put in for an area with better odds

Drillbit
02-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Put in for an area with better odds

Tired of hearing that BS line. It's ok for city guys that pick a spot on a map cause someone told them something about it, but not local residents.

People that live in LEH areas, apply for where they live. All the ones I know anyways.

Me and my neighbour both apply for our backyard. I've never, ever, won, he's won 5 out of the last 7 years(he moved in 7 years ago, and I've never won for 10+ years before then).

I've at least won a few 50/50's t hockey games tho...

srthomas75
02-08-2015, 11:57 PM
I have been successful for moose leh draws. Even on years with reduced odds but where I have entered the odds have been about 5:1. No luck for other species that I have entered [ island elk or bison ] 10 years or so of entries. Last season I joined a friend on an island elk hunt. His first year with a licence and his first year entering the leh. [ he won the elk tag ] So luck is apart of it obviously and everyone seems to have their own opinion on how it is managed.
One comment I read on here often is the complaint from someone who has not been drawn. And then find out that they are choosing an area that is very popular [ high odds ] 50 or 60 :1 win ratio. I don't have much sympathy for that type of complaint.

Whonnock Boy
02-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Should of had the poll so we could see the voters..... Are you asking for last year?

J_T
02-09-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm confused. All this resident uprising over allocation. We do understand LEH is one of the bargaining chips used in the negotiation with GOABC. And here it
is being discussed as though everyone accepts it. If we / you don't like the current allocation policy don't give value to how Gov is doing business. I would think there should not be a single LEH purchased for this upcoming season.

LEH "is" a resident hunter allocation solution. It controls hunters.

ratherbefishin
02-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Being on the island,we only get one crack at getting a moose ,so we put in for an LEH draw,trying for low odds areas and generally in the vicinity of PG where the most allocations are.We put in for shared hunts ,but still only average about once every five years,and our success is about 30%,so we are hardly putting the moose population at risk.
I can see managing targeted trophy species such as sheep or Grizzlies or even limited populations(VI Elk) but not deer or moose which are more often hunted for meat.

Given the fact that hunting only accounts for 15% of mortality I have yet to be convinced the LEH and antler restrictions ,plus ATV access restrictions has actually resulted in increased game populations,which they claimed it was for.In fact, antler restrictions may have resulted in reduced populations due to 'mistakes'.Nice theories,but do they actually work,other than for increasing revenue?

Bernie O
02-09-2015, 09:52 AM
I have been putting in every year like religion. have had a total of 8 moose draws, unbelievably the last three years in a row. Had a Bison that I did not fill and several doe draws. I do not include any money but I do triple check because if you make a mistake you are out. I don't know if it makes a difference but I fill out my harvest questionnaire every time.

Wentrot
02-09-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm confused. All this resident uprising over allocation. We do understand LEH is one of the bargaining chips used in the negotiation with GOABC. And here it
is being discussed as though everyone accepts it. If we / you don't like the current allocation policy don't give value to how Gov is doing business. I would think there should not be a single LEH purchased for this upcoming season.

LEH "is" a resident hunter allocation solution. It controls hunters.

Then the gov will give those numbers to "someone" else if we dont use em

J_T
02-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Then the gov will give those numbers to "someone" else if we dont use emif you / we keep thinking the same as we always have.

But isn't this uproar by residents really calling in to question what has always been and doesn't it require new thinking? Why, does residents not using their 'allocation' need to mean someone else gets it?

Why do residents 'choose' to allow LEH to control their opportunity?

ratherbefishin
02-09-2015, 10:19 AM
What I would like to know is if there is any evidence all this 'management' (antler restrictions,vehicle restrictions, LEH )actually works? last time I spoke to the fish and game people ,they only did winter flyovers to determine game populations with any degree of accuracy only every few years in limited areas,due to the cost factor,so they really didn't know what the deer/moose populations were,yet still decide to arbitrarily restrict harvest.Why they don't use drones,I don't know,seems a lot more cost effective

sparkes3
02-09-2015, 06:17 PM
i have got 3 mulie doe draws since 96.
eight of us put in for draws last year with excellent odds not one sucessful card

tomahawk
02-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Being on the island,we only get one crack at getting a moose ,so we put in for an LEH draw,trying for low odds areas and generally in the vicinity of PG where the most allocations are.We put in for shared hunts ,but still only average about once every five years,and our success is about 30%,so we are hardly putting the moose population at risk.
I can see managing targeted trophy species such as sheep or Grizzlies or even limited populations(VI Elk) but not deer or moose which are more often hunted for meat.

Given the fact that hunting only accounts for 15% of mortality I have yet to be convinced the LEH and antler restrictions ,plus ATV access restrictions has actually resulted in increased game populations,which they claimed it was for.In fact, antler restrictions may have resulted in reduced populations due to 'mistakes'.Nice theories,but do they actually work,other than for increasing revenue?

rbf, I was in PG and active in the fight against the ATV restrictions, dealt with the MOE and attended many meetings when the MOE threatened the hunters of PG and area that they were going to implement the restrictions. The reason and logic behind the change was simple. ATV's (mainly Big Red) had just been introduced by Honda and other manufacturers and hunters were excited to explore more territory with them. Too many however did not respect fellow hunters and time after time many hunters had atv users ride in behind them first thing in the morning and instead of respecting that the hunter on foot was there first they would drive past them and piss off the hunter on foot. I remember at least 2 meetings held by the MOE as well as articles in the local rag telling atv users to respect other hunters or there would be a regulation implemented to stop the behaviour. Some of the complaining hunters were well know and respected members of the PG hunting community and influential people as well as Co's and others. Bottom line is that those few idiots that continued the disrespectful behaviour created the ATV restrictions we now face. The no atv in the morning allows those hunters on foot to have a chance to hunt as they want. It was unfortunate as many mature hunters spoke out against the idiots on the atvs but alas it was in vain. I happen to be one of those guys that had a atv at the time and was very verbal against the change, but not once ever disrespected another fellow hunter. So that's how the restriction came about. One of the biggest advocates of the need for change was a popular sports store owner whos first name is Bob.

Wild one
02-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Hunter really need to look at options to change some LEH only hunts to less restrictive options hunters can use every year.

Best example of this in BC is the skeena moose season short GOS/Archery/LEH combo used works and hunters use it. A lot of residents in this area eat moose every year and at the min get the chance to hunt them LEH drawn or not. This system is working for both the moose and hunters.

Resident hunters need to really look at the options instead of the straight LEH or GOS used for many hunts. A lot of LEH only hunts in BC and it does not need to be that way.

Trigger Happy
03-15-2015, 08:21 PM
First year gotta grizz in #1 choice. Hope I keep this ball rolling :)

Trigger Happy
03-15-2015, 08:30 PM
I also fill out my harvest questionnaire annually. ????

wideopenthrottle
03-31-2015, 03:57 PM
if you can do a group hunt, include a new hunter as a 4th in the group and you may get a little surprise as they have increased odds...even if that new hunter doesn't make it to the hunt for some reason the rest of the group can fill the tag(s)
wide