PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River Gravel Mining

IronNoggin
02-07-2015, 05:17 PM
aYup - Again.

105,000 cubic meters this time. Smack in the middle of one of only two known spawning areas for the Lower Fraser River white sturgeon. http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/confused.gif
The "Seabird Band" (Stó:lō) are the proponents.

Already approved by the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - you know, the same crew that is currently in the news for trying to privatize our wildlife resources

Now gone to DFO - Little doubt in my mind's eye how they are going to rule. But then again ... I might yet be pleasantly surprised... http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://ht.ly/IEcAT

Nog

one-shot-wonder
02-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Christy will not stop until every last resource has been sucked dry at the expense of BC residents, wildlife and habitat.....

02-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Keepers of the Land and Sea ......... Nice Work ....... More padded pockets here over concerns for fish and wildlife.

The LIBERALS ARE DONE !

Whonnock Boy
02-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Interesting.... I never knew that historically, aboriginals mined the gravel out of the Fraser. Learn something new ever day. I guess seeing how there isn't a fishery for the sturgeon, the Sto:lo don't care about them. :roll:

The Dawg
02-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Seabird Island First Nation only began extracting gravel from this area in 2004.

Goes back years WB....

Ride Red
02-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Interesting.... I never knew that historically, aboriginals mined the gravel out of the Fraser. Learn something new ever day. I guess seeing how there isn't a fishery for the sturgeon, the Sto:lo don't care about them. :roll:

Oh really, my great grandfather seen them out there with birch bark canoes, woven baskets and cedar rope casting for gravel. I'm surprised you didn't know this. :confused:

bigdogeh
02-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Keepers of the Land and Sea ......... Nice Work ....... More padded pockets here over concerns for fish and wildlife.

The LIBERALS ARE DONE !

it's the way they roll!
anything for a buck. christi'd sell her own grandma if she could figure a way to get a dollar for her... pretty damn sad really...

Big Lew
02-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Natives would fish sturgeon with set lines well before the Europeans showed up.
They would set a rock anchor well out from shore and then run a rope to a bent
over young willowy tree. They would run small hooked and baited lines off the rope.
The bent tree would absorb the shock of a hooked fish (pretty clever actually)
One of their favourite spots was between Whonnock Creek and the Stave River.
I'm surprised they don't try it now as they could get big bucks for the meat and eggs.

.264winmag
02-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Oh really, my great grandfather seen them out there with birch bark canoes, woven baskets and cedar rope casting for gravel. I'm surprised you didn't know this. :confused:
About sums it up...
keepers of the land my arse