PDA

View Full Version : JIm Shockey

Woodrow
03-31-2007, 07:15 PM
How bout that Jim Shockey, god damn hes living the good life. Wonder where i can get a creepy bandanna to go on all my hunts. Maybe my luck would turn around. Hes on wild t.v. I like his show alot better than some of the other shows. Who is you favorite tv hunter....

30-06
03-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Shockey.or Thomas Pigeon

Husky7mm
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Thomas Pigeon is a wanker:lol:, but a least his show made it to canadian TV. Bart landcaster makes great movies, and Jim Shockey is very cool8)

Poguebilt
03-31-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm a big Jim Shockey fan.... great guy and love his video's.

Trapper
03-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Thomas Pigeon is a idiot, i can't even be bothered to watch his show.
but i do like Jim Shockeys hunting movies.

browningboy
03-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I like Jim but also like Thomas Pigeon, don't know why he would be so unliked? Only thing I think he should try BC, other than that I think he's got a good gig going on.

Woodrow
03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
dosent landcaster and shockey both where those bandanna hankerchiefs. hmmmm something fishy there

quadrakid
03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
thomas pigeon and the wicked witch of the east, anybody else see the similarities?

butcher
03-31-2007, 10:21 PM
randy Anderson

browningboy
03-31-2007, 10:24 PM
randy Anderson

What???:confused:

StoneChaser
03-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Jenna Jameson... North America's most experienced meat hunter :lol:

browningboy
03-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Jenna Jameson... North America's most experienced meat hunter :lol:
Good hunting partner!

300 wsm
03-31-2007, 10:44 PM
jim is tha man what iwouldnt doto go on a quest with that man what a friggin blast it would be

300 wsm
03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
the best of the best is shokey zumbo and ranglin in my books all straight up guys

browningboy
03-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Anyone know why Jim don't write for the BC Hunting mag anymore, that mag is starting to get pathetic, needs some "sprucing" up.

steel_ram
04-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm guessing if you hunt with Shockey you better be ready to take his picture a lot. And if the animal's a potential record, you better be quicker on the trigger.

sawmill
04-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm guessing if you hunt with Shockey you better be ready to take his picture a lot. And if the animal's a potential record, you better be quicker on the trigger.
Yup,met him once too cute for words,he knows it.
And Thomas pidgion is a dork,he has the same name as a bird that poops on statues,and he takes 60 yard running shots:mad: with a bow at caribou.

MattB
04-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Ever since Jim has had the TV show he hasn't been writing as much. He's still really involved in all the editing of the shows and still hunts 300 days of the year, then guides up in the Yk! So yea, he is a super busy guy! I believe he still writes in Big Game Adventures, but i havent bought one of their mags in a long time.

ursus
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Jack Brittingham gets my vote. If you have not had the chance to see his video library do so. He is 10 times the hunter than Jim or Thomas.

JMac
04-01-2007, 11:17 AM
For me I think steel ram said it best. I'd be curious to see how many of his book animals were taken self guided vs fully guided. I'm betting 90 plus percent were on fully guided hunts. Years ago I heard he said in Big Buck mag "the only thing dumber than a mule deer is a mule deer hunter". Say Jim how many book Vancouver Island deer or book BC mountain mule deer have you taken? Not too dumb are they? Other than that ya he produces some nice huntin vids.

elkguide
04-01-2007, 12:11 PM
For me I think steel ram said it best. I'd be curious to see how many of his book animals were taken self guided vs fully guided. I'm betting 90 plus percent were on fully guided hunts. Years ago I heard he said in Big Buck mag "the only thing dumber than a mule deer is a mule deer hunter". Say Jim how many book Vancouver Island deer or book BC mountain mule deer have you taken? Not too dumb are they? Other than that ya he produces some nice huntin vids. I have a couple of buddies that have guided Jim and both said he was the whinniest hunte3r they ever guided and his Knowledge isn't what he makes it out to be.....The only encounter I had with him was at a northern Guides metting and the guy wouldn't even take the time to shake my hand ( got no use for people that think they are better than everyone else ) ..... I was a big fan of his before that meeting......now I think he is an pompous ass........ His brother is the brains behind everything he does from what I can see......And he is a genuinly nice fella.......Favourite hunter would be Craig Boddington.........tells it like it is and he's a fellow lefty....

ohno
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
ranglin

Raglin is OK, but the following expressions can wear on you.

Jiminy Christmas & Whoo What a barn burner!

MattB
04-01-2007, 01:24 PM
I have a couple of buddies that have guided Jim and both said he was the whinniest hunte3r they ever guided and his Knowledge isn't what he makes it out to be.....The only encounter I had with him was at a northern Guides metting and the guy wouldn't even take the time to shake my hand ( got no use for people that think they are better than everyone else ) ..... I was a big fan of his before that meeting......now I think he is an pompous ass........ His brother is the brains behind everything he does from what I can see......And he is a genuinly nice fella.......Favourite hunter would be Craig Boddington.........tells it like it is and he's a fellow lefty....

Hearsay is one thing. Its pretty easy to see you dont know what you are talking about. I dont think Jim even has a brother, if he does he doesnt have anything to do with any of Jim's operation. You could be thinking of Jim's cousin? I've guided Jim and guided for him, he is a good guy and gives guides a hard time. But that is only because he wants his guides to do the best they can and make sure they give it a full 110%!

Rob
04-01-2007, 01:35 PM
We like Jim Shockey, have a few of his videos, as with Roger Raglin(the guy loves his whiteys!!Jiminey Christmas! lol) I checked out his website and its abut $15,000-20,000 U.S for a Yukon Moose hunt. Just ordered 700 miles alone by Bruce Nelson. Rob

StoneChaser
04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Hearsay is one thing. Its pretty easy to see you dont know what you are talking about. I dont think Jim even has a brother, if he does he doesnt have anything to do with any of Jim's operation. You could be thinking of Jim's cousin? I've guided Jim and guided for him, he is a good guy and gives guides a hard time. But that is only because he wants his guides to do the best they can and make sure they give it a full 110%!

No dog in this fight at all, never met the guy, and besides... my vote still goes to Jena Jameson:lol:

However, I do recall from his past writings mention of a fella named Guy Shockey... 99.99% sure that's his brother (and a player in the operations in Sask). I have been known to be wrong though.

Either way...the man is living the dream and an EXCELLENT self promotor.

StoneChaser

Gateholio
04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
For me I think steel ram said it best. I'd be curious to see how many of his book animals were taken self guided vs fully guided. I'm betting 90 plus percent were on fully guided hunts.

How else woudl a guy be able to do it and still have time for anything else? It could take years to get top book animals from some species, not to mention using outfiers for acess to different areas etc.

Gateholio
04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
No dog in this fight at all, never met the guy, and besides... my vote still goes to Jena Jameson:lol:

However, I do recall from his past writings mention of a fella named Guy Shockey... 99.99% sure that's his brother (and a player in the operations in Sask). I have been known to be wrong though.
r

I think Guy is his cousin.

kutenay
04-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I have met Shockey, he is a very pleasant chap, dresses very "hip cowboy" and IS a superb self-promoter. He charges HUGE $$$ for wealthy "hunters" to shoot Black Bears on the northern part of V.I. and I have hunted with some of these guys, later, with Barry Tompkin's outfit.

Shockey is a businessman and knows what a lot of people want him to look, act and sound like; he is simply giving them what they want and making money doing it. No harm in that and I have NEVER heard even a hint about game law violations in his operations, which is not the case with several other G/Os that come to mind.

The wealthy guy from Illinois, Texas, Germany or Rhode Island, who comes to BC to "hunt" is NOT much like most of us and expects this "chew" chompin', chaps wearin', huge hat wearin', illiterate-seeming image that so many guides present...it's part of the "mystique" and basically harmless, except I detest "snoose"!

I wouldn't want Shockey's lifestyle, but, he probably wouldn't envy mine, so, each to his own. The G/O's I REALLY hate are the ones who "wink" at the game regs. and this happens, THAT skrews everyone.

JMac
04-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Gatehouse, not startin a p*ssin match here but look thru the B.C. book certain guys names pop up not just for say sheep, but mule deer, blacktail , elk, cougar etc.. For example guys like Abe Dougan who is a g/o but hunts for himself on his own time and has taken record book sheep, caribou, cougars and bears to name a few. What about Klingsat and his grand slam of record book BC sheep. The list could go on and on.
Hey all the power to Jim and his top book longhunter records (hey how far can one of those new techno muzzies shoot anyway) (hey I know I'm just jealous I didn't think of that, lower book scores cause you got em with a muzz, LOL) but believe me there are guys in this province that can get it done consistently on their own plus run a business, raise families etc. They just opted out of snuffin the Walrus on an iceberg and writing/videoing it.
One positive I have for Jim is he does represent the "hunters" in general well in his writing and talks. He also makes good vids aside from the walrus and hippo hunts.

30-06
04-01-2007, 03:39 PM
pigeon isnt a bad guy..he got a beauty buck this morning on the show

BlacktailStalker
04-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Guy is Jim's brother. Jim makes great videos, doesnt pollute them with advertisements and always has a comedic side to them. He also takes down quality animals every time that any hunter would be happy with. He never loses the enthusiasm a sportsman should always have. I did email him and ask for a job years back but got no reply :) So thats the only strike I have against him :)

Gateholio
04-01-2007, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=JMac]Gatehouse, not startin a p*ssin match here but look thru the B.C. book certain guys names pop up not just for say sheep, but mule deer, blacktail , elk, cougar etc.. For example guys like Abe Dougan who is a g/o but hunts for himself on his own time and has taken record book sheep, caribou, cougars and bears to name a few. What about Klingsat and his grand slam of record book BC sheep. The list could go on and on.

Oh, I am sure a guy coudl do it if dedicated enough, but it probably would take some time to get every single species in North America without enlisting some help wiht an outfitter, especially for some species. And it's virtually impossible to hunt as a non res in some places wihout a guide.

If you are on a timeline via your business plan, doing it alone probably doesn't make sense.8-)

30-06
04-01-2007, 03:54 PM
so how many votes we got on this Wild Tv Petition

MattB
04-01-2007, 04:00 PM

Either way...the man is living the dream and an EXCELLENT self promotor.

StoneChaser
Guy is actually his cousin :)

StoneChaser
04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Guy is actually his cousin :)

There I am....wrong again:smile:

Deerwhacker
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
obveously you guys havent herd of dan fitsgerald . the most entertaining hunter on tv, he mostly hunts whiteys in the states but man is his stuff fun to watch, i know mike at specialty shooting sports has some of his vidios for rent. if you like deer after deer meeting its demise with some awsome bowhunting dan fitsgerald is by far the best.

Deaddog
04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I have met shockey for about 10 minutes, seemed like a decent sort, was more than willing to talk about sheep hunting and did not come of like a know it all, just another bc hunter, I subscribe to wild tv..... I think, shockey, eastman and canada in the rough are the best, no fenced in hunts (that I know of) unlike big game adventures and the others who have them coming to the feeders8)

Lil Buck
04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I have known Jim for around 10 years he has always gone out of his way to say hi.Him and his wife are very nice people.
I went on a BB hunt with his outfit and spent a day with Jim.He is a hunter and a business man,story teller .
Guy is his cousin...
Good for him doing what he loves ,seeing the world,and making a name for himself.
No comment on others mentioned..

quadrakid
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
i,ve never met jim shockeybut have read plenty of his stuff and some is hilarious, i,ve also read a good article he wrote on hunting coastal blacktails. he basically said they were the toughest deer to score a trophy on if memory serves me right, i emailed him a note on that and never got a reply, oh well.

horshur
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
For me I think steel ram said it best. I'd be curious to see how many of his book animals were taken self guided vs fully guided. I'm betting 90 plus percent were on fully guided hunts. Years ago I heard he said in Big Buck mag "the only thing dumber than a mule deer is a mule deer hunter". Say Jim how many book Vancouver Island deer or book BC mountain mule deer have you taken? Not too dumb are they? Other than that ya he produces some nice huntin vids.

JMac---you heard it wrong--the only thing dumber than a hound is a houndogger.

dana
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Jim likes to play with those words a bit. He said the same thing in Muley Crazy about whitetails. I can remember quoting him and posting it on Realtree. That sure stirred a hornet's nest. :)

JMac
04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Horshur, your right...

MIbuckhunter
04-02-2007, 08:09 AM
I used to watch Jim's show often, even a few videos, but got sick of him quick, he just rubs me the wrong way on camera. I'll admit he's damn good at finding bears and waiting out big whitetails in winter, but other than that, he seems like a tool on his show. He seems more content with following his guide around for a week until he shoots the "new world record with my Knight muzzleloader." On his Africa shows, he sits over a waterhole with the guide pointing out what to shoot. Half the time he doesn't even know what species he is after, but as long as it's a world record, he doesn't seem to care. I also can't stand his attire or monotone voice. I'm sure if I was Canadian, I'd have a bit of a soft spot for him, but I'm not. :biggrin:

Dan Fitzgerald seems like a good guy, I've talked to him a few times, but I've heard some pretty bad stuff about him over the past year. That and the fact that his show is now an infomercial for local car companies and grilling sauces, I just can't watch him anymore.

Husky7mm
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
O go on foreigner! 5 post and your pokin fun of our most famous canadian hunting celeb.Them is fightin words!

1/2 slam
04-02-2007, 01:03 PM
I've met him several times. Had a great talk with him each time. Good Guy. Do I detect a little jealousy here? Yes I think I do.

Mr. Dean
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Evidently, the guy knows what he's doing. Just look at the hit-count on this thread!

jessbennett
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
shockey for canadian and primos for foreign

MIbuckhunter
04-03-2007, 07:46 PM
shockey for canadian and primos for foreign

No problem with that. If I need to get a hold of some Shockey videos, most of my friends have got them, but I don't see it happenning. :lol:

luckynuts
04-04-2007, 09:15 AM
I like Jim but also like Thomas Pigeon, don't know why he would be so unliked? Only thing I think he should try BC, other than that I think he's got a good gig going on.

Don't know if this has already been said don't care going to say it again. Anybody that takes a running shot at a Caribou from about 65yds with a bow is an idiot period. (the arrow past 6' behind the boos ass) to put it on TV for everyone to see priceless. After that episode haven't watch him again. Some might say at least he's honest, I say no respect for the animals he hunts or the weapons he chooses to hunt with.:evil:

Ps love the lancaster/fontanna vids classy, no nonsense and a little comedy to boot. Guess it's all in the editing.

GoatGuy
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Ps love the lancaster/fontanna vids classy, no nonsense and a little comedy to boot. Guess it's all in the editing.

Another vote for the Lancasters.

They're a pretty solid crew, hardcore hunters - both as guides and resis and they're in it strictly to support their hunting addiction.

Anyone who'll pack a residents animal out of their g/o area is a heck of a good guy in my books.

MichelD
04-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I dunno.

Don't have a horse in this race. My TV has no reception, I don't have cable, don't watch or buy hunting shows or videos. I need my money for gas, ammo and other supplies.

hunter1947
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Chuck adams ,hunter 1947.

GrizGuy92
04-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Just the other day we bought a Jim Shockey dvd, Northern Vancouver Black Bears. Lots of big bears on that video!

bruin
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I vote for Lancasters, no non sense, definitely real hunting, lots of BC animals and good humor. Shockey makes good vieos but I find he sells himself a bit too much for my liking.

jessbennett
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
ive fixed bart lancasters truck before..

Elkhound
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I like watching Dave Watson....bushnell outdoors

youngbuck
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I do not have a favorite because most of the videos and shows (especaily videos) do not give me want I want from them.
I want to learn something to improve my own hunting skills. I find these videos are just guided hunts with a person sitting on a main travel route or feeing/watering hole.

Actually, I met Jim at the Abbotsford Hunting show a couple of years ago and asked why he does not make vidoes show how to find a good hunting area and develop a plan find the animals in the area.

His comment was that "Americans" do not want to see those types of videos. He said they want ot see big animals and they want to see go down. He then p*ssed me off by stating that I was not a G/O supporter and that I was basically too cheap to pay for one. From that point on, I wrote him off.

His columns are funny and he presents himself well but I would not buy one of his videos. Mags and books are far most informative for me.

Schmaus
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Another vote for the lancasters they are the only ones on the vids that look like you could sit down and have a beer with them and not be snubbed off. Plus I hear they love PARTITIONS http://www.freewebby.com/adult-smilies/cooter.gif

GoatGuy
04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I do not have a favorite because most of the videos and shows (especaily videos) do not give me want I want from them.
I want to learn something to improve my own hunting skills. I find these videos are just guided hunts with a person sitting on a main travel route or feeing/watering hole.

Get yourself a Lancaster video - I think folks would be surprised that the vid's are not only from northern bc but you'll also find a lot of the hunts are right in your backyard!:lol:

GoatGuy
04-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Plus I hear they love PARTITIONS http://www.freewebby.com/adult-smilies/cooter.gif

Now this is funny!:lol:

MattB
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Lancasters videos are good too, me and my bro have a couple of theirs. Reminds me of the guiding days :)

3kills
04-05-2007, 04:50 PM
i like hunting videos period....helps get throught the winter doldrums...

mattb how come ur not guiding any more?

MattB
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM
school....

300 wsm
04-05-2007, 06:41 PM
what aboust the guys from eastmans outdoors

MattB
04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I got some eastmans movies as well. In one of them they are hunting in Montana, they shoot a nice typical but for the some of the "live" footage its pretty easy to see that the buck is already dead and they have placed him in a bedded position. Top notch stuff eh? Some of the other footage is good though.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-05-2007, 08:27 PM
In your best British accent...." e's naught dead. Look! 'e moved" (Monty Python:roll: ).

SSS

Schmaus
04-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmaus
Plus I hear they love PARTITIONS http://www.freewebby.com/adult-smilies/cooter.gif

Now this is funny!:lol:

Sorry GoatGuy couldn't resist

steel_ram
04-06-2007, 08:18 AM
In one of the VI bear video's, Shockey sensationalizes being charges by a shot bear. Really the dieing bear had no clue where the hunters were and was just running in the direction of least resistance.

timberhunter
04-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I like to watch Shockeys videos, and Bart Lancasters, Roger Raglin well jiminny christmas he puts on a good show too.

But as far as really good videos I love Peter Capsticks african videos. Hard to beat reading Capsticks books as well, I've read most of them now.
Jack O'Conner is also another great author.
And don't forget about Papa Bear. Fred bear was a pioneer when it came to making hunting videos.

Rackmastr
04-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm all about Lancasters vids....they know what they're doing and are real hunters. Makes me feel like I'm up in the bush with them chasing sheep....

Shockey is good overall, but has a bit of arrogance to him..still well worth watching for his comedy.

Thomas Pigeon is an idiot....a beginner hunter who thinks he's an expert and acts like a fool. His hunts are really weak I find too....

Lots of good ones out there to watch...gotta love WildTV and on most days off I've got it on in the background when I'm working on something...lots of great American shows we dont see in DVDs....

Bigbear
04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
I know A feller who is also a Guide and knows Jim Shockey. Jim owns a small Guide area in the Yukon , but leases the rest of his so called terrritory from an Outfit out of Bella Coola. All his Own Hunts are guided with guides he uses for other people, except for his hunts out of country. I think he is a bit of a Duffas , but he does get some spectacular Huge animals on Video. I called up to see what a Guided bear hunt on the Island would Cost a resident Hunter, $6,000.00 US:sad:. No thanks . We have big bears here in the Cariboo, And there out Now:twisted:.

brno375
04-07-2007, 07:35 AM
I like the Lancaster videos, and I think Neil Graham is the best "character" in the series.

Pigeon: I've only seen two shows, and they were both about hunting waterfowl. I've never tuned in again.

Shockey: not a fan. Good on him for being able to do what he does, but when I saw the hunt for elk where he shoots and then says "I wasn't sure which one..." So much for being a professional.

Primos: great elk videos.