PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about getting into Waterfowl Hunting

Trigger95
02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Hey y'all, Trigger here, for those who met me you know I am a new hunter, this will be my first year, I had thought about Migratory bird hunting, what do I need/ need to know about it, tips and tricks are always a bonus, thanks for the imput

Dutch Ppoacher
02-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Stop while you still can!
once you get yourself set up, this is the most addictive thing to do! You never have enough stuff, and never hear the sound of geese or ducks the same!

just my 2 cents

curtis

LupieHunter
02-05-2015, 07:58 PM
You need an additional license or 2 if you're in the lower mainland/fraser valley. The one you definitely need is the federal migratory bird stamp which is available at most post offices and also now online. The second if you're in the lm/fv is the Fraser Valley special area license which you can get most places that hunting licenses are sold.

rbduck
02-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Do you have lots of money? Nuff said!

Ron

yamadirt 426
02-06-2015, 08:07 AM
It's just like any other type of hunting. Can get in with the basics or go all out. Start exploring this summer.

Moe.JKU
02-06-2015, 09:17 AM
I would start with 12 decoys, a call, and some sort of blind, whether it be burlap, or laydown depends on where you are hunting. Try and find a good private field that you can hunt that will increase your odds a lot over public land spots usually

Wild one
02-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Find locations where duck want to be this can be public or private land. Talk to farmers before the season and don't get frustrated when you are told no just try some where else.

12 decoys and a mojo is a good start. For calls a wigeon whistle and a mallard call. For mallard call I find I am only good with a double reed and had to go through a few calls to find what works for me.

Blind is nice but you can get away with camo and hiding in the bush or grass. Try not to look up at the ducks till you are ready to shoot they will see your face. Limit movement as well when they are coming in.

I am still learning as well but still kill a few ducks

Wild one
02-06-2015, 10:49 AM
And let them get close pick a bird and don't sky bust or flock shoot

Good luck

02-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Find locations where duck want to be this can be public or private land. Talk to farmers before the season and don't get frustrated when you are told no just try some where else.

12 decoys and a mojo is a good start. For calls a wigeon whistle and a mallard call. For mallard call I find I am only good with a double reed and had to go through a few calls to find what works for me.

Blind is nice but you can get away with camo and hiding in the bush or grass. Try not to look up at the ducks till you are ready to shoot they will see your face. Limit movement as well when they are coming in.

I am still learning as well but still kill a few ducks

well said WILD ONE ,
a water Dog is a HUGE ASSET, good hip boots or chest waders, with steel shot the birds need to much closer then old days with lead. 20 to 40 yards good to stick with. The more deeks ya have the better I have about 5 doz duck and about 10 doz goose deeks of various types, but wish for more full body goose deeks. Lots to learn when first getting going. Use 3 or 3 1/2 inch BB to #4 if u only have 2 3/4 oh well it's a start. Pm me if ya want.
CT

Moe.JKU
02-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Blacktail on here has some custom calls on the buy and sell right now as well. Ive had two calls from him and they work good.

kuva
10-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Hey guys I'm still getting mixed messages about what paper work required. I know the insurance should be a must. But really what is required in region 2?

skuntor
10-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Migratory bird stamp and permit and hunting license. Check the Fraser Valley special area map to see if you plan to hunt within it. You need a Fraser Valley special area license if you are within the prescribed area. You need proof of insurance to buy the license.

Hey guys I'm still getting mixed messages about what paper work required. I know the insurance should be a must. But really what is required in region 2?

Cdn-Redneck
10-04-2015, 04:31 PM
You need 3 thing to have hunt the lower mainland area 2-4 and part of 2-8. Hunting license, migratory game bird permit, and fraser valley special are permit. You need proof of liability insurance which would be house insurance or BCWF insurance. Migratory permit is available at post offices and service BC offices as well as some sporting goods stores. Hub sports has them

dak0ta
10-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Migratory bird permit is available online now.

Jagermeister
10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Hey Trigger, you live in Kelowna. Save your money and leave the migratory birds in the OK valley alone. Anyhow, you're pretty limited in duck/goose hunting in the valley unless you hit the beaches.

fudge
10-04-2015, 11:14 PM
What about if you take a youth what do you need exactly for licenses???do you still need the stamp for them as well as your own and their own fraser valley permit? Or just a youth license and the rest under yours?

hardnocks
10-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Hey Trigger, you live in Kelowna. Save your money and leave the migratory birds in the OK valley alone. Anyhow, you're pretty limited in duck/goose hunting in the valley unless you hit the beaches.
This is crap ! their is pretty good goose hunting at least in the the north OK . nothing like saskatchabush but i am just starting this is my first year but my grandson and i limited out one day and got 5 another day last week . got skunked yesterday .
just get into the corn fields . the hard part for me was getting enough decoys....and the calling...i can`t call worth sheite

10-05-2015, 07:59 AM

Guess you don't get out too much......... While the Okanagan may not be able to compete with the major flyways, there seems to be more then enough water fowl around to get your limits most times out, same as all hunting, finding your quarry is a major part of it.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Hey ..so I wannna try out Goose and duck hunting ... got me a 12 gauge 30" full choke barrell ... load it with bb so far

Its a CIL 674 ... basically a rebranded Savage 67/mossy 500 from back in the day, aint pretty but sure fires nice ...
I just did the E-licence in like 2 minutes for $17.85 tax in... a pain in the ass on check out ... but everything Government is a PITA (differant thread)

So thats all I need??? ... just the migratory bird permit along with my provincial hunting licence, I have no intention of hunting the FV or LML at the moment so I dont need that (yet, may change as I am spending most of November in that area)

Looking for someone to teach me .. take me under their wing sort-to-speak ...
Looking at nechako/Bulkley valley area or PG area

Cdn-Redneck
10-06-2015, 09:38 AM
That is all you need for up there. Be careful waterfowling can become addictive fast

Bowzone_Mikey
10-06-2015, 09:59 AM
That is all you need for up there. Be careful waterfowling can become addictive fast

So did Archery ;)

Cdn-Redneck
10-06-2015, 10:38 AM
I eased off on archery quite a bit, but can be just as bad

J-Man
10-07-2015, 10:44 AM
For ducks you want a 2 and reserve the BB for goose. Watch youtube for duck calling, easier to hunt ducks. They respond to calls easier and you don't need as many decoys.

digger dogger
10-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Until you can call effectively, keep it to a minimum, enough to get their attn.
Placing deeks properly is huge.
Also if you use a robo duck, get a remote, or hook up a kill wire to it once you have the birds attention, shut it off.
A layout blind is best for me, but others use ditches, camo fabric, chicken wire with grass and reeds woven in, ect.
We have no full body deeks for geese, we use silhouettes, i think 13 doz.
If you like being irritated, hunt lessers:-)
Good luck, and get out your wallet.
Also, look on ebay, for calls, i've bought 2 for duck. (Not cheap ones)
And need another, as im not happy using either, for different reasons.
I have one COD, Zink goose call, and am happy with it.
Now i need a call for lessers. (Cause i like aggravation)
Lol

lorneparker1
10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Hey ..so I wannna try out Goose and duck hunting ... got me a 12 gauge 30" full choke barrell ... load it with bb so far

Id get that shot gun bored out to a modified choke. shooting steel through an old full choke isn't recommended and can be dangerous depending on the gun. Old school full chokes were designed for lead.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-08-2015, 05:56 AM
#2 or #4 then ????

Cdn-Redneck
10-08-2015, 06:16 AM
A gunsmith can open up the choke to modified and you would be able to run steel shot. There are alternative shot that is better for older full choke barrels but it is expensive. My dad had thin wall chokes added to his gun I think it was about $125.