PDA

View Full Version : Looking for home experienced with high energy hunting breeds-

kinderdoggin
02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
There is a nice 7 year old male at the Quesnel SPCA, who has been bounced around from shelter to shelter and is looking for a permanent home. They have him listed as a GWP- no breeder has been able to be traced, they believe he was born in Washington but he has no permanent ID. He is a high energy dog and they want his next home to be his last. I haven't met him but asked and they have said that the does not seem sensitive to noise so a hunting job may not be out of the question - maybe even something he has done before? - but definitely he needs an active home who won't give up on him, who understands that he probably has some quirks that have led to multiple relinquishments... Please contact the Quesnel SPCA if you are interested, I don't have any more info but thought this might be a good place to spread the word amongst people who know about the energy and training needs of this type of dog. http://www.spca.bc.ca/quesnelhttps://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10858420_967904726562436_3952733889524504685_n.jpg ?oh=0f8fe40fa32d41d2c2c0d33beaa2e970&oe=55532344&__gda__=1432620021_efc22280eb12f2225d1ca9ebdb06a9a 0

Stone Sheep Steve
02-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Just remember if you want this dog, DO NOT mention that he will be used for any kind of hunting.

SSS

02-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Just remember if you want this dog, DO NOT mention that he will be used for any kind of hunting.

SSS

10-4
SPCA has a policy that they will not addopt dogs to hunting families....

BRvalley
02-05-2015, 02:50 PM

SSS

I learned this lesson first hand

lip_ripper00
02-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Cool looking dog! If I came home with another, my wife would leave me...................Hey:idea:

albravo2
02-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I think ripper is onto something!

Hope this works out for someone. Looks like a fine dog.

Foxtail
02-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Beautiful dog. I don't have the room for him. I'll pass info onto my dad.

scoutlt1
02-05-2015, 05:37 PM
10-4
SPCA has a policy that they will not adopt dogs to hunting families....

I never knew this!
WTF??

kinderdoggin
02-05-2015, 05:38 PM
I just chatted with the Quesnel SPCA employee who contacted me. They have NO policy about refusing adoptions to hunters. They have adopted out sled dogs to mushers, cattle dogs to ranchers, etc and would gladly like to see this dog in a hunting home. HOWEVER what they are really looking for is a home who will work with him for better or worse, whether he turned out as a hunting dog or not, someone who understands that he's been passed around a lot and will do whatever it takes to make it work. So showing that dedication and the experience with similar dogs (so they know that you know what you are getting into in terms of energy levels and drive) are what they will be looking for, in my understanding.

scoutlt1
02-05-2015, 05:43 PM
I just chatted with the Quesnel SPCA employee who contacted me. They have NO policy about refusing adoptions to hunters. They have adopted out sled dogs to mushers, cattle dogs to ranchers, etc and would gladly like to see this dog in a hunting home. HOWEVER what they are really looking for is a home who will work with him for better or worse, whether he turned out as a hunting dog or not, someone who understands that he's been passed around a lot and will do whatever it takes to make it work. So showing that dedication and the experience with similar dogs (so they know that you know what you are getting into in terms of energy levels and drive) are what they will be looking for, in my understanding.

That is very good to hear!

SPEYMAN
02-06-2015, 12:30 AM
from another thread on this site

The BC SPCA is opposed to the hunting of any animal for trophy or sport,

including canned hunts, whether or not any of the meat is consumed.

Where hunting is practised for subsistence purposes, it must be carried out in a

humane, responsible and sustainable manner by qualified and experienced

hunters, abiding by applicable laws and regulations.

Hunters should make every effort to minimize the infliction of pain or suffering by

using techniques that cause instant death. Bow hunting is not condoned by the

BC SPCA as it does not meet these criteria. The BC SPCA is also opposed to

the hunting of all animals using dogs or other animals (e.g. falconry), due to the

stress it imposes on the hunted animal and the risk of injury to the animals

involved.

Drillbit
02-06-2015, 01:29 AM
^Talking Quesnel SPCA, not Whistler.

They'll let it go to a hunting family.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2015, 06:16 AM
That's good to hear about your local SPCA. Glad there is still common sense in the world. Adopt out a dog or put it down. Easy choice.

02-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Kinderdoggin,
your SPCA just "Sees the light"
aparently all SPCA's arent created equal.... The one in Victoria will not adopt a dog to a hunter for hunting

BRvalley
02-09-2015, 10:37 AM

perhaps you spoke with a reasonable minded individual, SPCA in a northern community...I can personally tell you the SPCA in the LML do NOT share that opinion, and it is one of their policies that they do not support the use of hunting with dogs

BRvalley
02-09-2015, 10:39 AM
ah, I didn't read page 2, seems we sorted out all SPCA's are not the same.....I hope the dog ends up in a good home

Vladimir Poutine
02-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I learned this lesson first hand

I did as well. Was guaranteed the dog and at last minute it was given to someone else. Raised hell with BCSPCA headquarters but no use.

Vladimir Poutine
02-09-2015, 12:04 PM
We got our guy at the Quesnel shelter as well. Great facility. We were told that Quesnel is the "catch point" for all dogs from the North. They are held there and every week a truck ships the majority to the LM shelters. When we were there they had 60 animals from pups to seniors. If you can find out which day is shipping day then the day before is the time to see the best selection.

jlirot
02-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Bump for a good looking dog. My 6 month old pup is cuter...

ruger#1
02-26-2015, 10:35 AM
I got my GSP from here, They want them to go to hunting homes. And you get the dog for $350. Tax deductible donation. My dog was one year old, Spade, tail docked and dew claws done. http://www.dogwoodrescue.org/

ruger#1
02-26-2015, 10:37 AM
DOGWOOD SPORTING DOG RESCUE is a network of dedicated people who are passionate about animal welfare. We are a social benefit, “specific breed” rescue network that primarily rescues dogs classified as “sporting” or “gun” dogs. Our Mission is simple: Our goal is to re-home homeless, unwanted or abused animals We ensure that they are neutered/spayed and evaluated [...]

02-26-2015, 10:41 AM
from another thread on this site

The BC SPCA is opposed to the hunting of any animal for trophy or sport,

including canned hunts, whether or not any of the meat is consumed.

Where hunting is practised for subsistence purposes, it must be carried out in a

humane, responsible and sustainable manner by qualified and experienced

hunters, abiding by applicable laws and regulations.

Hunters should make every effort to minimize the infliction of pain or suffering by

using techniques that cause instant death. Bow hunting is not condoned by the

BC SPCA as it does not meet these criteria. The BC SPCA is also opposed to

the hunting of all animals using dogs or other animals (e.g. falconry), due to the

stress it imposes on the hunted animal and the risk of injury to the animals

involved.

WELL I GUESS MY DONATIONS WILL STOP GOING THERE ! Dogs are natural hunters, providing a wonderful home for some given up lost or stray dog is a good thing. The BCSPCA should rethink this policy.

Barracuda
02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
I got my GSP from here, They want them to go to hunting homes. And you get the dog for $350. Tax deductible donation. My dog was one year old, Spade, tail docked and dew claws done. http://www.dogwoodrescue.org/

how is it a donation if you have to pay??

ruger#1
02-26-2015, 10:53 AM
how is it a donation if you have to pay?? Donate what you want. SPCA isn't going to give you a dog for free.I donated $350 To the Dogwood rescue. No big deal for a pure breed. That is spade , dew claws done, tail docked. I got my tax receipt and used it.

SPEYMAN
02-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Ruger#1--- Did you buy your dog from the Dogwood Sporting Dog Rescue or from the SPCA? Your last response is ambiguous.

ruger#1
02-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Ruger#1--- Did you buy your dog from the Dogwood Sporting Dog Rescue or from the SPCA? Your last response is ambiguous. Dogwood Sporting Dog Rescue

kinderdoggin
02-26-2015, 06:38 PM
This dog has found a home. FWIW, the Quesnel SPCA charges $202 for an adult dog, which is fixed/dewormed/vaccinated.

Sarge789
04-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Good lookin out Erin. I was goin to recommend someone to contact you to see if you knew of anyone but there you go..

I'll tell anyone I think would be interested. Hope he finds a good home