PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe question (Vancouver area)

pazz0
03-30-2007, 07:18 PM
i was at reliable today, but couldn't find anything suitable. i need a safe for a min. of 7 handguns, and 5 long guns. what are you guys/ girls using for your firearms, and where should i be looking??
i'm not exactly wanting to spend tooo much $ on this one, for i will be moving overseas in the near future, and will have to move it. and i know the nice $1000 + safes were like 700 lbs min...

thx :-P

1/2 slam
03-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Spend the money. Don't cheap out on a "Cabinet" type. Save for a while if you have to.

pazz0
03-30-2007, 07:21 PM
holy fast reply! lol.
that's what i was thinking about today when i saw how much they were, only i still have so much stuff including more guns to buy, so i didn't want to spent like $2K on a safe.

ryanb
03-30-2007, 08:15 PM
If it's only a short term solution, just get a steel cabinet type.

Gateholio
03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Last time I was in Italian, they had several safes, of various price/quality.

Costco often has safes for adecent price, too..

pazz0
03-30-2007, 08:22 PM
it's just that i have 7+ handguns, so the style's i've been seeing are mostly for long guns...

SUAFOYT
03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Last time I was in Italian, they had several safes, of various price/quality.

Costco often has safes for adecent price, too..

When I see what they want for a real quality safe, I'm wondering if a good metal fabricator could come up with an inexpensive alternative? It may not have the factory sheen of a store bought, but would certainly serve the purpose. I'm thinking of the type of fabrication that one sees riding around in the back of those over priced pick-ups.

Gateholio
03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Canadain Tire sells small safe, suitable for handguns.

kutenay
03-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Some of the locksmith companies also sell American Security gunsafes, quite plain and not "cool" with trippy decals of whatever and shiney finishes, but, high quality and suited to most uses.

Often, one can buy good, used safes cheaply from these outfits, as well. If, you have a budgetary restriction, look at one of these before a steel cabinet type whcih are not up to much, IMO.

Even a few standard grade rifles, shotguns and handguns can be a $15,000-$20,000 collection and insurance is a RACKET, if you have rare, hard to find pieces. I do and mine are in heavy Liberty firesafes, with a very serious Rottweiler who looks after our house.

A gun safe is something that is essential, IMO, the candyazz legal system we have makes it so.

bearheart
03-31-2007, 11:01 AM
When I was a student back in the Dark Ages I used old school lockers for gun storeage. The one I bought was a three locker unit, cost peanuts, easily lockable and room for lots of guns. You can bolt it down if you wish. If someone wants to steal your stuff it won't slow them down , nor would the cheaper ($1,000 or less safes) they can just cart the whole thing away and bust into it at their leisure. There was a place on Hastings that sold old vaults years ago, you can find great old vaults for low bucks, they weigh a ton and no ones going to walk away with it. They were cheap back then, don't know about now.

Brambles
03-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I was in costco in kelowna last week and they had some gunsafes for $699 they had a fire rating, stainless steel front and it had fingerprint recognition to get it to open. They held more firearms than you own, can't remember exactly but it was something like 14 or 18 long guns, and if I recall they were in the 400 lbs range