PDA

View Full Version : Prince George hunting question

glennw89
02-02-2015, 07:53 PM
I have a question about Prince George hunting that can hopefully be answered here.

A young hunter who I have "mentored" (taught him the ropes of wild turkey hunting here in Ontario, brought him onto the land I have permission to hunt, called in his first bird for him) is graduating university and possibly moving to Prince George.

He's keen to be my "Hunter Host" when he becomes eligible to do so and I'm very keen to take him up on the offer!

The hunt would likely be a couple of years off, but curious as to which species we should target in the area? Any info appreciated.

.300WSMImpact!
02-02-2015, 08:08 PM
elk, deer, moose

The Dawg
02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Bear, elk, deer.

Moose has taken a beating lately, and hard to find

markomoose
02-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Moose and bear and don't forget your favorite grouse gun!

Sofa King
02-02-2015, 08:26 PM
rats.....big F'ing rats with big F'ing tails.

bear, moose, deer, etc.
like said already, moose is slim pickens anywhere nowadays though.
chetwynd/Hudson's hope isn't very far and has some good deer.

glennw89
02-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Mule deer or whitetail deer?

f350ps
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Don't forget wild boar too, they're everywhere! K

Cordillera
02-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Around Prince george moose is king. If you are willing to drive, then there are lots of great opportunities further afield. Four hours northeast and you are in great elk and deer areas. Drive due north about five hundred km and there are a few sheep, goats, and caribou. Grizzly are everywhere. I'd say decide what species you want, how much time and money you want to spend, whether you can hike much, and then design a hunt.

The Dawg
02-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Around Prince george moose is king. If you are willing to drive, then there are lots of great opportunities further afield. Four hours northeast and you are in great elk and deer areas. Drive due north about five hundred km and there are a few sheep, goats, and caribou. Grizzly are everywhere. I'd say decide what species you want, how much time and money you want to spend, whether you can hike much, and then design a hunt.

Moose is king? They are down 70% over the last couple years.

I hunted hard last season, probably 40 days in a blind or stand.

Saw ONE the whole time.

nicktrehearne
02-04-2015, 08:23 AM
It will take him several years before he can hunter host you anyway. He will have lots of time to hunt on his own and figure out the area.

markomoose
02-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Moose is king? They are down 70% over the last couple years.

I hunted hard last season, probably 40 days in a blind or stand.

Saw ONE the whole time.Holy cow DAWG!!Find a new spot.I saw 7 bulls last season but no tag and no 2 points.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
You can hunt most every big game specis within 2 hours drive of PG with the exception of Pronghorn and Bison

Moose, Elk, Deer, bears , cougar, lynx etc. etc. etc...

barry1974w
02-05-2015, 09:45 PM
For the most part hunting right around Prince George is just OK (not that I'm complaining), but as others have mentioned, if you don't mind driving a few hours you can get into pretty good hunting areas for for most things. But there are reasonable populations or most common game much closer to Prince George. As has been mentioned, moose numbers are down right now, but I did see three moose within three hundred yards of The Dawgs house last hunting season....

moosinaround
02-05-2015, 10:18 PM
If you want moose, talk to moosinaround! simple! If you want prime bush, talk to NoahDawg! Simple Moosin

glennw89
03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
My friend is moving to Prince George in May. With any luck I will be able to regularly hunt with him in a few years time ... :lol:

Drillbit
03-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Great Black bear hunting.