PDA

View Full Version : Double A Packers

264mag
02-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Just wondering who has used this outfit, and are they independant or affiliated with an outfitter. Please share your experience.

bridger
02-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Haven't used em but have lots in the area they hunt. They are independent.

264mag
02-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Do the packers and transporters have an association or website?

yama49
02-01-2015, 10:21 PM
He seemed like a great guy, when we bullshited with him, resident only area as he cant guide. Lots of elk

02-01-2015, 10:57 PM
It used to be ran by a guy named Dana .... yes did seem like a good guy, Being I had used Steamboat before, and was happy I continued to go back a few times then used Riverjet .... happy there too.

Maybe some day I will use Double AA as they seem very decent people and are as Said Independent operators rather then double dipping so to speak ......

leadpillproductions
02-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Do you know what their prices are

264mag
02-02-2015, 10:55 AM
I am wondering the same thing, can anyone comment on the pricing, service, quality of hunt vs Steamboat? I have booked my group for 2016 with Riverjet and Kevin's package is a obviously a different set up and highly recommended.

leadpillproductions
02-02-2015, 11:44 AM
I have a email into them will post when they email back

yama49
02-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Nick is the owner now,You fly right into his base camp from the highway. Not sure on prices as we didn't use him, but was still very helpful to us, and we didn't even use his services..

Fisher-Dude
02-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Haven't used em but have lots in the area they hunt. They are independent.

Rich are they the guys at the confluence of the Besa and Prophet?

bridger
02-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Rich are they the guys at the confluence of the Besa and Prophet?
Yes the original owner was Dana Lepine. He sold it three or four years ago. Haven't met the new owner, but seems to be doing well and providing good service.

Fisher-Dude
02-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes the original owner was Dana Lepine. He sold it three or four years ago. Haven't met the new owner, but seems to be doing well and providing good service.

Cool, I floated the Besa from Redfern in 2000 and camped at the Besa/Prophet junction. Good area.

yama49
02-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Hes not using the besa camp anymore, hes couple hrs up the prophet now (1st meadows) new airstrip up there

bridger
02-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Cool, I floated the Besa from Redfern in 2000 and camped at the Besa/Prophet junction. Good area.

That is a real adventure. Not a typical road hunt. Lol. Hunted that country a lot over the years. Several trips in there with my boys when they were growing up. Both took rams in there. Longest trip 32 days.

bridger
02-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Hes not using the besa camp anymore, hes couple hrs up the prophet now (1st meadows) new airstrip up there

Probably a good move. Some tough crossings on the prophet above the Beas early in the season.

264mag
02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
I am thinking of a moose elk combo hunt, I am sure the area has everything. Does their operation cater to sheep hunters or is good for anything?

pg83
02-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Check out their website for all the info.

http://www.doubleapackers.com

Fisher-Dude
02-03-2015, 12:35 PM
That is a real adventure. Not a typical road hunt. Lol. Hunted that country a lot over the years. Several trips in there with my boys when they were growing up. Both took rams in there. Longest trip 32 days.

Yup, didn't see a road for 18 days! Not many float the Besa, which makes it really interesting with all the sweepers and jams.

We went from Redfern to our get-out on the Prophet by the campground, up that damned mudslide!

It was an adventure of a lifetime, definitely. Only 2 near-death experiences for our group, fortunately! :D

264mag
02-03-2015, 12:35 PM
The website says they are in a good area for everything,just curious what members have experienced up there. I know with Riverjet Kevin can put you in different spots for different animals.

pg83
02-03-2015, 12:39 PM
I have not been, but I would assume it would be similar as to with Kevin only on horseback. Want sheep? Head for the hills. Want moose? head for the swamp.

bridger
02-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Yup, didn't see a road for 18 days! Not many float the Besa, which makes it really interesting with all the sweepers and jams.

We went from Redfern to our get-out on the Prophet by the campground, up that damned mudslide!

It was an adventure of a lifetime, definitely. Only 2 near-death experiences for our group, fortunately! :D

that is a real adventure for sure. Two my friends took that trip and swamped and one nearly died. Wonderful country. Have had on the odd adventure crossing the Besa horse back myself. No country for pilgrims that's for sure.

weatherbyjunkie
02-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Ive done the trip for 5 years in a row now with Nick at Double A Packers. Great guy,unreal country!!! LOTS of critters,big moose-50"+ come out of there very year,lots of elk. Nick has done MAJOR upgrades since he bought it. Airstrip,hot showers,great camp,log cabins. Best part is no roads/other hunters/other access. You can't get a Jet boat up past the Bessa unless the water is ultra high because of a rock formation called JAWS,I think its happened once in the history of the camp with both owners. So if he has dates left BOOK NOW,theres a reason all of his clients are repeats year after year after year

264mag
02-05-2015, 11:35 PM
That sounds great, what are the rates? We are having a hard time getting in touch with them.

pg83
02-06-2015, 07:13 AM
I'm in the same boat 264. The online contact doesnt seem to work for me and I'm currently out of country so dont want to call.

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I am a close friend of the owner,he's out of town right now. I'll double check his email is correct,PM me and I'll give u any info u want. Prices last year were $4500 for 10 days-includes flight,all meals/food,use of horses,and transport of one animal out of camp-extras animals subject to airfare. Food is unreal,lots of fresh veggies,fruit,home cooked everything. Usually our group of 4 gets 2-3 elk,and 2 moose. And we don't see ANY other hunters : ) this year a few caribou walked right thru camp,doesn't get any better

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 10:25 AM
He may also offer a "drop off" option where he packs you up somewhere and you aren't in camp/using his food,cook etc. Imdont want to speak for him but that has been an option in the past and obviously price reflects that

Fisher-Dude
02-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Ive done the trip for 5 years in a row now with Nick at Double A Packers. Great guy,unreal country!!! LOTS of critters,big moose-50"+ come out of there very year,lots of elk. Nick has done MAJOR upgrades since he bought it. Airstrip,hot showers,great camp,log cabins. Best part is no roads/other hunters/other access. You can't get a Jet boat up past the Bessa unless the water is ultra high because of a rock formation called JAWS,I think its happened once in the history of the camp with both owners. So if he has dates left BOOK NOW,theres a reason all of his clients are repeats year after year after year

We floated down right over the "Jaws" (we called them "The Shelves"). :shock: Glad I still had one spare pair of gonch with me. :oops:

Does Double A pack you up into Richards? I hear that's a reasonable curly-horn area.

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure what his horse access up Richards Creek is,I know there is an old outfitter trail up Richards from the Prophet,not sure if it's been cut out lately tho. Yes lots of big sheep up Richards tho!! Lol,it's cool hearing that others know the area as well as us!! The Shelves,Jaws,whatever u call them they're great,they keep the jetboats,hence other people out of that area : )

Buck
02-06-2015, 11:19 AM

I was standing at that mudslide when two guys came drifting down the river in those really cheap 1 man yellow rafts about 30 years ago.They looked plumb worn out they hiked all the sheep ranges from way up the Prophet.They did have a Ram.Drove them into town to pick up their truck.That got me thinkin..

02-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Richards .... Bat Creek ..... Upper Prophet River ...... etc etc .... that area has had a history of Big Rams. It gets good back in there. Beautiful Country.

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Big moose,big grizz, and yes Beautiful Country

tuner
02-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Is it illegal for packer to take a resident hunter into an outfitter terratory,if thats where the hunter chooses to hunt?

bridger
02-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Transporters have specific geographical boundaries in which they have to operate as do outfitters. So a transporter can't just take you anywhere. They can take you into an outfitters territory if it overlaps with the transporters area.

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Technically the Packer can't take you anywhere,that's guiding. He can supply horses and transport your animals within his tenure. As a resident hunter you are entitled to hunt anywhere in this province on crown land(assuming it's a legal are). Think of it as self guided,with a helping hand to get your animal packed off the mountain and into camp : )

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 01:22 PM
One other thing Double A Packers offers in their camp is a refrigerated meat house! No worries about bears or heat spoiling your kill

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Is it illegal for packer to take a resident hunter into an outfitter terratory,if thats where the hunter chooses to hunt?

Sorry,my bad I misread your question,pls ignore my response

tuner
02-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the answers, it was helpful.

264mag
02-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Hey Weatherby,
Do you use the horses every day are you hunting on for once you get to the base camp? I wouldn't think they would cut you loose on their horses? Just wondering how it works, thanks for the input on this thread it's very helpful.

264mag
02-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Sorry are you hunting on foot once at base camp?

Fisher-Dude
02-06-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure what his horse access up Richards Creek is,I know there is an old outfitter trail up Richards from the Prophet,not sure if it's been cut out lately tho. Yes lots of big sheep up Richards tho!! Lol,it's cool hearing that others know the area as well as us!! The Shelves,Jaws,whatever u call them they're great,they keep the jetboats,hence other people out of that area : )

The Besa is a really crazy ride above Kielly Creek. Really narrow and fast! And if you don't get out to portage by the quad bridge soon enough, it could be a short, disastrous trip!

I think the best way to hunt the Besa is to travel light and do a few miles every couple of days. We traveled heavy and hunted from one camp on the Besa and one on the Prophet. I think we floated through too much gorgeous country to get to our camp spots. We passed by areas with game trails a foot deep coming off the banks!

We saw only 2 groups of people in 18 days, one on the Besa and one on the Prophet. When you're out there, you're really on your own!

yama49
02-06-2015, 09:02 PM
He wouldn't be able to take you very far up richards, before you would b out of his area.. Then you could backpack from there, if you choose, but might b better to hire a plane and land farther up richards if thats the case.

weatherbyjunkie
02-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Sorry are you hunting on foot once at base camp?

Foot or horse. Horses will get u across the rivers and make life easy. On foot from camp if u would like,there is lots of stuff shot on foot. His horses are all good mountain horses,and make life easy in the morning to get out of camp and up/down river. I'm not a horse person and I have never had problems. He gets you all set up and gives u the rundown on the horses and you're good. The first year we were a little "green" and he took the time to make sure we knew what we were doing. You tie your ponies up when u get to where u want to hunt and off u go. Hope this helps.

bridger
02-06-2015, 10:13 PM
He wouldn't be able to take you very far up richards, before you would b out of his area.. Then you could backpack from there, if you choose, but might b better to hire a plane and land farther up richards if thats the case.

Richards creek is pretty busy these days.

264mag
02-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Those horses must be very good, I have done a couple of guided hunts on horseback and the horses were all great but also came with their own attitudes sometimes. Obviously they trust there horses and their clients. It sounds like a great set up.

dogger
02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Went there last year. The meat house is hardly refrigerated. The 1 elk in it started to spoil. Didn't see many elk or moose. Seen more wolves than anything. Most elk hunting is on other side of rivers so your crossing every day. If you get rain your screwed. When I talked to him early august he said he was seeing 60 to 80 elk on every hillside. All those elk disappeared by Sept. Would not recommend hunting with them. Quoted me a price. When time to pay the price had gone up 200$.

white moose
02-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Glad for the honest report, It looks like a great adventure though. How far is the flight in? As far as camp goes how was the food etc... Maybe you guys had a streak of bad luck or bad timing. Kind of glad I booked with steamboat this september.

dogger
02-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Glad for the honest report, It looks like a great adventure though. How far is the flight in? As far as camp goes how was the food etc... Maybe you guys had a streak of bad luck or bad timing. Kind of glad I booked with steamboat this september.
Flight was about 20 min. The group behind me were delayed coming out because the plane crashed going back in at camp runway. Lucky the pilot wasn't hurt but had to wait for another plane.

mtnmannbc
02-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me where about is the Besa River airstrip, old airstrip or current airstrip location? Thanks.

Cub Driver
02-14-2015, 01:21 PM
The old original Besa airstrip is about 2 1/2 mile up the Besa from its confluence at the Prophet. One the east side of the Besa on the Klingzut mountain side. The newer airstrip at the packers base camp is about 5 miles up the Prophet from its confluence of the Besa river, on the south side of the Prophet.

mtnmannbc
02-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks Cub Driver

weatherbyjunkie
02-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Went there last year. The meat house is hardly refrigerated. The 1 elk in it started to spoil. Didn't see many elk or moose. Seen more wolves than anything. Most elk hunting is on other side of rivers so your crossing every day. If you get rain your screwed. When I talked to him early august he said he was seeing 60 to 80 elk on every hillside. All those elk disappeared by Sept. Would not recommend hunting with them. Quoted me a price. When time to pay the price had gone up 200$.

I shot my elk on the first day this year-we had warm weather every day and did not lose any meat... We also shot 3 elk and 3 moose between 4 guys. 1 cow elk,2 6 points,and 3 50" plus moose...... Maybe you had a bad trip? Why does rain screw you? It's hunting-put on rain gear.... Also the hunt is not for everybody,it's mountian hunt. So yes crossing rivers may be required. I've been form5 years and we have never come home without an animal per person.

weatherbyjunkie
02-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Dogger,are you there hunter that lost his binoculars? Me and my partner found them,about 50 yards from where we shot our elk. It sounds like maybe that wasn't your cup of tea,but I can assure you that the meat house maintained 5-7 degrees celcius this year. Also,who else has secure log home style meat coolers in the mountains? most folks have to hang in a tree and hope bears and flies don't get at it. We had 3 elk a sheep and 3 moose in it and had zero problems. Sorry to hear your hunt didn't work out so well. Happy Hunting this year8)

460s&w
02-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Ya I've been in there last 5 years. It's nothing but great food is awsome camp can't b better hunting can't be beat. It is mountain hunting tho u have to work for it. The meat cooler is great keeps the bears / flys off and keeps it cool. Me and my partner shoot game every year elk and moose just have to put some effort in. As for dodger why did u not shoot the wolves and u were on one of the best hills in there for elk. We have shot at least 6 on that hill. It's a great place to be. I guess that style of hunting is not for u. Try the kootney s for truck hunting u might like it more

skleep23
02-15-2015, 05:40 PM
My experience with Nick at Double A was fantastic. Our trip was before the new strip near the lodge, so we flew out to the besa strip and had a sweet horseback trip into the main camp. We went up early sept and saw lots of elk, a few moose, wolverine, and glassed goats. One of the guys on the trip had a grizz tag and missed out on his opportunity…(grizz fever) We ended up passing on a few different elk and came home with 2 in the plane. The horses were all bomb proof. I still wonder if my horse splitter is around. In my opinion this was a class A trip. It was more like a vacation in the mountains. more food than you could ever eat, and trust me we tried as it was that good. It was always ready and waiting at the times stated. The whole crew at Double A was very personable and gave us great advice to make our hunt as successful as possible. I can't wait for the buggers that are holding on to the dates I want year after year to bail so I can head up there again. I heard one of them bought a jet boat so maybe this will be the year!

460s&w
02-15-2015, 05:41 PM
If any one has questions feel free to pm me. This camp is nothing but rad!!

mikek
04-05-2015, 01:53 AM
I am a close friend of the owner,he's out of town right now. I'll double check his email is correct,PM me and I'll give u any info u want. Prices last year were $4500 for 10 days-includes flight,all meals/food,use of horses,and transport of one animal out of camp-extras animals subject to airfare. Food is unreal,lots of fresh veggies,fruit,home cooked everything. Usually our group of 4 gets 2-3 elk,and 2 moose. And we don't see ANY other hunters : ) this year a few caribou walked right thru camp,doesn't get any better

Is this per person or per group ? thanks

yama49
04-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Is this per person or per group ? thanks

I believe its per person

Liveforthehunt
04-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Beautiful country up there and yea lots of game it's silly. Booked for the next 10 years solid sorry ;)

BiG Boar
05-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Hunted up there a couple years back. Pretty good elk hunting, but we only saw 2 illegal bull moose in 2 weeks. Got a couple elk though. The wolf activity was like nothing I've ever seen before. There is a minimum of at least 20 wolves in that valley, probably closer to 30. Had them chasing horses through camp at night. I am guessing the elk have taken a beating this winter though. Most wolves I've ever imagined. Only killed one of them though. They need a trapper in their pretty bad. Personally I'd never hunt their again, only because the country was to thick for my liking.