PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the moose gut piles

afflicted 1
01-31-2015, 11:21 PM
my fellow forestry workers and I like the last few years are sure seeing a lot of moose get taken this winter. I won't get into who's doing it, and yes the authorities are well aware of it. From what we can see they have given up the fight, haven't even seen them this winter. It really bugs me to see all the crying over some friggen wolves that are being delt with for the better of another species, all while the moose in their own back yard are being wiped out. This issue needs the publicity now. Maybe if I face booked the pics I have of the cow and her two calve gut piles from last week....maybe I'll throw in the fact she might have been pregnant with two more. Oh well spread the meat around I guess. Now I've vented :eek:

Ride Red
01-31-2015, 11:39 PM
my fellow forestry workers and I like the last few years are sure seeing a lot of moose get taken this winter. I won't get into who's doing it, and yes the authorities are well aware of it. From what we can see they have given up the fight, haven't even seen them this winter. It really bugs me to see all the crying over some friggen wolves that are being delt with for the better of another species, all while the moose in their own back yard are being wiped out. This issue needs the publicity now. Maybe if I face booked the pics I have of the cow and her two calve gut piles from last week....maybe I'll throw in the fact she might have been pregnant with two more. Oh well spread the meat around I guess. Now I've vented :eek:

Hey Afflicted 1,

No time like the present to put this out for everyone to see as a lot of issues, not just allocations, need to be dealt with.

Gamebuster
02-01-2015, 12:00 AM

where are you seeing them?

afflicted 1
02-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Bonaparte plateau.

Ride Red
02-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Afflicted 1,

Post pics on here too and send them off to Christy as well. Show them we care about everything regarding wildlife, not only the allocation battle. One season for all.

Gamebuster
02-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Whereabouts specifically down there on Bonaparte?

Gr8 white hunter
02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Post pic's of FB tell where abouts .put it the public eye.Send the pics to me Iwill post them.

olympia
02-01-2015, 12:32 PM

thanks for the vent, now how about you post some pics? im not doubting your story but it makes my blood boil when people see dead unlawfully killed animals and don't even bother to take a pic with their cell phones that we know the whole world carries. Take pics and post them, raise public awareness and maybe there will be a crackdown. If your part of the group that thinks nothing can or will be done than maybe no one should even post this on a forum. Lets do something about it...doesn't take long to snap a pic and show the world what is happening out there.

Wild one
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
It is a know problem for that area and from my understanding they were asked nicely to slow down.

Unfortunately it sounds as though asking nicely does not work

olympia
02-01-2015, 12:49 PM
It is a know problem for that area and from my understanding they were asked nicely to slow down.

Unfortunately it sounds as though asking nicely does not work

nicely isn't gonna work, it never has. That's why need pics and then send them to the newspapers/media and then approach officials to do something.

Wild one
02-01-2015, 01:08 PM
nicely isn't gonna work, it never has. That's why need pics and then send them to the newspapers/media and then approach officials to do something.

The problem lies with the issue that going against FN hunting when it is being abused is not PC and you will be deemed racist. For this reason govt organization won't touch it in fear of how the public might react. A portion of the public believes all FN only take what they need and do so with respect. When the truth is there is a portion that abuses there rights and do so unpunished.

Showing pics of gut piles does nothing more than show animals were taken out of season. Without pics or video of the individual taking this animals the evidence is not strong enough. Need solid evidence to be shown to the public if change can be expected. It will take a lot to get the general public on board.

Sad to say but it will take a lot to solve these issues unless FN choose to change there ways.

Gr8 white hunter
02-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Conservation is the act of preserving, guarding, or protecting; wise use.
Conservation may refer to:
Main usage:

Conservation (ethic) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_(ethic)) of biodiversity, environment, and natural resources, including protection and management

boxhitch
02-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Maybe a powwow with the band is in order , bring the issue to a head. The elders still hold some respect in some bands , peer pressure may clean it up. Try being a partner in conservation.
Possible ? IHNFI !

Everett
02-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Maybe a powwow with the band is in order , bring the issue to a head. The elders still hold some respect in some bands , peer pressure may clean it up. Try being a partner in conservation.
Possible ? IHNFI !

Unless the Elders are the ones doing the poaching.

Doostien
02-01-2015, 07:12 PM
I get to see this same thing all the time. About now while the deer and moose are lower, a group of people from the local band, always the same lot, drive logging roads in the valley and kill everything that crosses the road. Does, fawns, cow and calf moose, you name it. Lots of the time they'll leave the fawns, guess its not worth their time.

Like others said, any mention of restricting their hunt will be met with calls of racism. Why should anyone be able to shoot a cow moose this time of year?

zippermouth
02-01-2015, 07:45 PM
social media is the only way the word will get out. with the amount of guys in the backcountry now we should be able to get the word out. please if you see out of season poaching, take lots of pics and report it. it is so wrong on so many levels, and should be addressed.

Spy
02-01-2015, 08:04 PM
social media is the only way the word will get out. with the amount of guys in the backcountry now we should be able to get the word out. please if you see out of season poaching, take lots of pics and report it. it is so wrong on so many levels, and should be addressed.
Educating first nations especially the youth is the way of the future ;-) We cant do anything about this kind of thing alone but maybe its time we join forces & together we can! We have a problem on the Island with elk poaching & know that the first nation elders are against it & have a reward for info on anyone poaching, So shit is changing be it slow :-( At the end of the day we are all hunters at heart and have the same thing in common skin colure does not change that! I know some white poachers that dont give a shit about wildlife either !:confused:

.300WSMImpact!
02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
last couple year I would go up a certain logging road to get myself into the bush, but every time going up the road seeing a gut pile and half a moose or two, made me stop going into the bush in the winter, good luck it will never end, even when they bleed the resource dry the keepers of the land will just move to another animal, its sad the Country we live in the and the way its treated

BEAVERBRUCE
02-02-2015, 08:07 AM
where are you seeing them?
when I lived in dease we would see them on the lake and telegraph road

BigfishCanada
02-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Its not just moose, south of the bonapart lots of deer left to rot. Glory killing? I have no idea who/why. I'd be surprised if i see a moose this year

RCM_Pman
02-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Needs to be 1 law for all. The government is to blame. Judge in Gitstan Case said there is no aboriginal rights but that the government had a duty to mother the natives and look after them. This was their reaction .. let them slaughter our game unregulated. That is how the provincial government looks after them, allowing the slaughter of our wildlife.

REMINGTON JIM
02-02-2015, 10:06 AM
One of the moose shot down there was a COLLARED cow and it was reported to 100 mile CO service and NO charges were laid - they did get the collar back - moose was shoot out of the Shooters " AREA " :roll: i have heard of some Elk being shot also ! I think the CO service does a SHITTY job of enforcement in these cases of WHO's involved ! :-( RJ

BigfishCanada
02-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Im not sure i can put any blame on a CO(The CO's i know dont want this happening) their hands tied, its above a CO, they need support from the government and Fist Nation elders or tribal council

olympia
02-02-2015, 11:28 AM

lots of stories of fn shooting everything that crosses their paths but no one is getting any pics, would these same people be willing to testify against fn as witnesses or are these stories recycled 10 times over, poaching is a huge problem but its wrong to pin it on fn with no pics, no eye witnesses. All we have are gut piles and no witnesses to what exactly happened, could have been white guys, fn, east Indians, Chinese etc. Gotta have pics and eye witnesses folks because without that all we have are gutpiles.

olympia
02-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Im not sure i can put any blame on a CO(The CO's i know dont want this happening) their hands tied, its above a CO, they need support from the government and Fist Nation elders or tribal council

I agree, our CO`s need the backing of the government and crown prosecutors so they have some `teeth to deal with these matters. The problem with FN elders getting on board is the serious and ignored problem about how fn reserves are run and the culture of fear and fear of reprisals if you help the other team (white man). So what do you do is the million dollar question.

aggiehunter
02-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Afflicted...we have other issues also...while CO's drive around giving people tickets for wrong dates cut on their tags we have orchardists killing dozens upon dozens of deer annually inside high fences and the CO won't do a thing....time for high fences that we help pay for to go.

Spy
02-02-2015, 12:02 PM
I agree, our CO`s need the backing of the government and crown prosecutors so they have some `teeth to deal with these matters. The problem with FN elders getting on board is the serious and ignored problem about how fn reserves are run and the culture of fear and fear of reprisals if you help the other team (white man). So what do you do is the million dollar question.
Exactly and this is why education is key & the miss trust of the white man is carved in wood from a history of lies. We can and have to change theses perceptions.

Steve W
02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
One of the moose shot down there was a COLLARED cow and it was reported to 100 mile CO service and NO charges were laid - they did get the collar back - moose was shoot out of the Shooters " AREA " :roll: i have heard of some Elk being shot also ! I think the CO service does a SHITTY job of enforcement in these cases of WHO's involved ! :-( RJ

CO's don't get to decide if charges are laid, that is done by Crown Counsel. All a CO can do is complete the investigation and turn in a report to Crown. They make the decision to proceed or not. Lots of Crown reports get done and then do go past that process - both native and non-natibve. After you've done a few you get a feel for what Crown will approve and what they won't. No point investing the time in an exhaustive investigation if it's not going to go anywhere.

REMINGTON JIM
02-02-2015, 04:29 PM
CO's don't get to decide if charges are laid, that is done by Crown Counsel. All a CO can do is complete the investigation and turn in a report to Crown. They make the decision to proceed or not. Lots of Crown reports get done and then do go past that process - both native and non-natibve. After you've done a few you get a feel for what Crown will approve and what they won't. No point investing the time in an exhaustive investigation if it's not going to go anywhere.
\
More USELESS non Fuctioning Goverment Bureaucracy in place ! JMO RJ

Driften
02-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Ever ask yourself why there is no hunting on reserves? Could it be that the wildlife has been wiped out in those areas? I was told by a Douglas Lake Reserve member that they have to leave the reserve to even see a deer. Yes, they said it was because they had killed them all. Recently, we reported natives shooting deer from their truck (traditional??), pictures were taken and reports to the CO's by 3 independent witnesses, who yes are willing to go to court because they are just fed up. This a day after a dead fawn shot through the jaw was found left with tire tracks right to it. Guess it wasn't worth the effort. The elders are of no help as they obviously haven't taught any respect. Just drive past Whispering Pines and see the deer hanging in the front yards. Stewards of the land - yeah right!!

Husky7mm
02-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Same thing going on in northern Alberta all winter long..... The wintering moose dont stand a chance when the snow gets deep. Tooooooo much access. Thank goodness they are starting to gate many key areas, they are closed to non authorized use. Non hwy vehicles are allowed after 12 pm otherwise you walk. A huge step in the right direction imo.

Wild one
02-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Ever ask yourself why there is no hunting on reserves? Could it be that the wildlife has been wiped out in those areas? I was told by a Douglas Lake Reserve member that they have to leave the reserve to even see a deer. Yes, they said it was because they had killed them all. Recently, we reported natives shooting deer from their truck (traditional??), pictures were taken and reports to the CO's by 3 independent witnesses, who yes are willing to go to court because they are just fed up. This a day after a dead fawn shot through the jaw was found left with tire tracks right to it. Guess it wasn't worth the effort. The elders are of no help as they obviously haven't taught any respect. Just drive past Whispering Pines and see the deer hanging in the front yards. Stewards of the land - yeah right!!

The reason for no hunting on reserves without permission it is private land that belongs to the band.

But yes some are dead zones the the FN won't even hunt anymore

REMINGTON JIM
02-05-2015, 08:14 PM

You Got it ! :-? and the Elders are no FRIGGIN better then the youngsters ! :roll: Stewarts of the land - what a friggin JOKE eh ! :evil: RJ

SWD
02-05-2015, 10:11 PM
One of the biggest problems in this province is poaching by natives!

Reported one to poacher tip line. He killed cow moose and calf (no season opened for them).
Had truck make and plate etc.

He took calf ,left cow.

No one is willing is address problem, conservation officers are powerless,goverment is afraid politically incorrect.
Moose populations are being decimated!

Poaching and leaving an animal to rot is not native pride!
Native or white .0r any other race of poacher is not acceptable!

He took calf,left cow.

RB2
02-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Needs to be 1 law for all. The government is to blame. Judge in Gitstan Case said there is no aboriginal rights but that the government had a duty to mother the natives and look after them. This was their reaction .. let them slaughter our game unregulated. That is how the provincial government looks after them, allowing the slaughter of our wildlife.

AGREE. One law for all.