PDA

View Full Version : The Official Start of Sheep Hunt Training

Ltbullken
01-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Today marks the official start of sheep hunt training! 5 km all uphill with a 25 lb pack. I'd like to do this at least once per week. I decided to take advantage of some nice weather this afternoon. I'm into hockey right now at least until March so I'm not too fussed about my hunt training program quite yet. Eventually I'll work up to 65/70 lbs a couple times per week before the sheep hunt. But summer holidays are booked so my thoughts occasionally drift to plans for the hunt. Been looking over some maps, researching some backcountry trails & Google Earth, chatting with my hunt partner, etc. Started tooling around on the reloading bench too.

Rackmastr
01-31-2015, 06:10 PM
Awesome stuff!!!!

First day of training for me was about Sept 5th.....right after getting home from the last sheep hunt!! Haha.

I know the feeling, getting ready, looking at maps, getting excited and hiking!!!

SR80
02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Today marks the official start of sheep hunt training! 5 km all uphill with a 25 lb pack. I'd like to do this at least once per week. I decided to take advantage of some nice weather this afternoon. I'm into hockey right now at least until March so I'm not too fussed about my hunt training program quite yet. Eventually I'll work up to 65/70 lbs a couple times per week before the sheep hunt. But summer holidays are booked so my thoughts occasionally drift to plans for the hunt. Been looking over some maps, researching some backcountry trails & Google Earth, chatting with my hunt partner, etc. Started tooling around on the reloading bench too.

Where in town do you do your training hikes?? I usually do some of the hills in Kenna, but recently ive been hitting up pete creek. Nice and close to home for me.

BCrams
02-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Year around fitness. Pounding ski trails 3-4x a week, pool, hiking, paddling. Usually ready to go!

Brian011
02-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm going to start shed hunting soon with weight on my back, then scout with weight on my back.

butterz
02-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Well I guess I should start mine too then. This will be my first sheep hunt. Pretty excited. I better get running

todbartell
02-01-2015, 06:35 PM
I had 2 donuts and 1 frosted cinnamon bun today.

Ltbullken
02-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Where in town do you do your training hikes?? I usually do some of the hills in Kenna, but recently ive been hitting up pete creek. Nice and close to home for me.

I park at TRU or Walmart parking lot and walk to the top of Aberdeen.

Ltbullken
02-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Year around fitness. Pounding ski trails 3-4x a week, pool, hiking, paddling. Usually ready to go!

That's the best way to do it for sure. I'm playing hockey 2 - 3 times per week and hit the gym in between so as not to lose too much.

Trojans16
02-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Can't beat Peterson creek, parking lot to tower. Did Kenna ridge in the snow this morning, dog and I had the whole place to our selves. Pine ridge and deep lake also good hills close to town.

Ltbullken
02-01-2015, 10:37 PM
I had 2 donuts and 1 frosted cinnamon bun today.

Building the energy store for when it is really needed. Good! Keep it up!! :-P

todbartell
02-01-2015, 10:43 PM
been working at it for more than a decade! Took the dog for a walk tonight and burned off some waffles and aunt jemima I wolfed down in 2001

SR80
02-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Can't beat Peterson creek, parking lot to tower. Did Kenna ridge in the snow this morning, dog and I had the whole place to our selves. Pine ridge and deep lake also good hills close to town.

The ridge at kenna is a good one, don't usually see many people going up it. Everyone just goes down. I usually park by the hospice and walk into peterson creek that way, drop down to the bottom and up the other side to the tower up top. Only about a 2 hour hike, but its a bit of a grunt with a 50lb pack and deep snow.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/Mobile%20Uploads/0345bc2b-7e2e-48df-a2ca-1cd968ece48d_zpsd7hwbgum.png (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0345bc2b-7e2e-48df-a2ca-1cd968ece48d_zpsd7hwbgum.png.html)

Ltbullken
02-02-2015, 03:17 PM
The ridge at kenna is a good one, don't usually see many people going up it. Everyone just goes down. I usually park by the hospice and walk into peterson creek that way, drop down to the bottom and up the other side to the tower up top. Only about a 2 hour hike, but its a bit of a grunt with a 50lb pack and deep snow.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/Mobile%20Uploads/0345bc2b-7e2e-48df-a2ca-1cd968ece48d_zpsd7hwbgum.png (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0345bc2b-7e2e-48df-a2ca-1cd968ece48d_zpsd7hwbgum.png.html)

The good part of this hike is that you get the downhill part too which is jut as important. Can you PM details on how to access the trail to the tower from the bottom of the creek?

boxhitch
02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
this Kenna hike ? Check out the map
http://www.kamloopstrails.net/dufferin-ridge/

Trojans16
02-02-2015, 05:43 PM
.Yep that looks like the ridge trail. If you go around the ridge or start on the Home Depot side there is a trail called the elevator that goes up to the tower that is short but nice and steep. Can't really go wrong though. For Peterson take your first left after 6th heading towards the hospital. Where the abandoned building is. Drive straight to the parking lot that runs beside the creek. For the tower stay on the left side. There are multiple routs up, some more direct then others��. It's a decent hike to do the round trip where you go up either side, cross the creek in the back area, go back up and back down to the parking lot. Our dog needs to stretch his legs daily so very familiar with all the local hiking areas.

Brian011
02-02-2015, 07:42 PM
All the hikes mentioned are good hikes and really close which is nice, I usually hike Kenna cause I live along side of it so it's really convenient. Lots of good hills to climb just out of town too.

SR80
02-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Have to take advantage of the cool weather, before long itll be 38C here in kamloops.

ruttinbuck
02-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Living on the north shore I use mara hill
The ticks can be a challenge in march but from May on the west side of the hill is shaded until 9am
Makes for a great early morning hike beating the heat.RB

Remmy
02-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Have to take advantage of the cool weather, before long itll be 38C here in kamloops.

I always thought you were a fair weather hiker! You should be training at 38 degrees, maybe lose a little of that baby fat
:razz:

Moe.JKU
02-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Started mine last week, 5 days on the stair climber, and weights a week for me. I'll start my hiking in bear and turkey season and continue through the summer. Even if i don't get out for sheep this year as i don't know if the first one should be solo should be fine to chase elk by the time season hits.

Fred1
02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Sheep training?!?! Shit Im going to rest up for two weeks first! And maybe pound a few rounds at the range. ;)

SR80
02-04-2015, 07:53 AM
I always thought you were a fair weather hiker! You should be training at 38 degrees, maybe lose a little of that baby fat
:razz:

hahah chuckwagon!