PDA

View Full Version : Spring Sheep Counts 2015

WSSOBC
01-31-2015, 05:36 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/bruin_photo/IMG_3954%20-%20Copy_zps1ijygd5h.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/bruin_photo/media/IMG_3954%20-%20Copy_zps1ijygd5h.jpg.html)

SPRING SHEEP COUNTS!
Every spring volunteers around south central BC provide valuable information towildlife managers on the size, health and locations of important herds of our wildsheep. It’s a fantastic way to get involved with wild sheep management and anopportunity to dust off your bino’s and get outside! Participants will beorganized into groups covering specific areas, spending the day counting andclassifying sheep, reporting back in the evening.

WSSBC 9th annual SpencesBridge Sheep Count will be SaturdayApril11th.
Meet at the Husky restaurant in Cache Creek at 8 a.m. for an infosession. Arrangements for a meet in Lytton are in the works.
Call Bill 250-542-7798 for more info and to reserve your spot

April 12th Annual Spring California Bighorn Sheep and Deer Count along north side of Kamloops Lake from Rousseau Creek to Ord Road area. Countstarts at daybreak with BBQ to follow. Contact Doug 250-573-557 forinformation on times and locations.
Highland Valley OutdoorsAssociation from Logan Lake will be assessing the area west of Rousseau Creek toCache Creek. Contact Bill French, Highland Valley Outdoors Club. (250) 523-2366

South Okanagan Sportsman Association 66th Annual Bighorn Count February 15 / 2015
Meet at the Vaseaux Lake Provincial Park at 8 a.m.
Call Ron 250-498-3205 for more info.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/bruin_photo/IMG_3930_zpsrdmozzqr.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/bruin_photo/media/IMG_3930_zpsrdmozzqr.jpg.html)

Big Lew
01-31-2015, 07:44 PM
I've participated in the Spences Bridge Sheep count for the last 3 years.
In doing so, I've learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed spending time with
some very interesting and dedicated people. A couple I'm privileged to now
call friends. I hope to be able to attend again this year but won't know if it's
in the cards until much closer to the time....depends on the outcome of my
surgery next Wednesday. Hopefully more people will become involved this
year. It's a wonderful way to spend a day and meet people while enjoying
the outdoors.

srupp
01-31-2015, 07:49 PM
hmmm good luck on your surgery Bro...its been a great experience having your sense of humour and easy going attitude as well as a genuine love for the out doors and sheep.

Susan and I will say a Prayer for your safety and successful outcome of surgery.Hopefully we can meet up for breakfast at Spenses Bridge and head south again to perhaps spot some more wonderful rams again this year.

cheers
let us know when your feeling well again..

cheers

priviledged to be one of your sheep counting friends

steven

Tīɡ
01-31-2015, 08:44 PM
I plan on coming out for the count in Spences bridge, I too will only know for sure if I can make it closer to the time but I sure am gonna try my best to be there! I would love to learn a thing or two from some dedicated sheep hunters!

brno375
01-31-2015, 08:58 PM
I will try to make the Spence's count; no guarantees.

bighornbob
01-31-2015, 10:15 PM

Bring ketchika with you if he's allowed to come out and play:):)

Bhb

dana
02-01-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm curious as to what the counts will show in Kamloops. The large groups of rams seem to be missing this winter. Only a handful of rams in their normal spots with very few being mature.

srupp
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Hmm last years count for our 3 groups way down, last fall 80 sheep in 14 days..2 were close no shooters for me or 2 other individual hunters.
One group claimed 5th sheep in 8 years..no photo.no body.
Seen the annual sustenance results bloody big ram from spenses, another cranker from kamloops lake..

Steven

bckoothunter
02-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Anything planned for Region 4? With the proposed bighorn GOS for GO's, thought it might be a good idea to do some counts so impact of the changes can be assessed/backed up in the future.

Steelpulse
02-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm gonna book this day off now, tried for the last couple years but could never make it, for sure this year though

blackbart
02-02-2015, 12:18 PM
How about a domestic sheep count?? I am very concerned and have contacted the authorities in relation to domestics showing up in traditional sheep habitat - Paulo's fruit stand, the fields adjacent to the Steeples to name two high profile examples.

boxhitch
02-02-2015, 02:19 PM
contacted the authoritiesC/O's ? that is the process. Use the RAPP line.

boxhitch
02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Anything planned for Region 4?Have to check with the local club over there . Is it realistic to do a winter ground count , besides Radium ?

bckoothunter
02-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Have to check with the local club over there . Is it realistic to do a winter ground count , besides Radium ?

What local club, can you be more specific? Ground counts could be done in quite a few areas besides Radium.

boxhitch
02-02-2015, 04:19 PM
There are a few clubs in the region , many doing active conservation work , but I haven't heard of ground counts being done specifically .
Pick the location you feel it is feasible , find the club closest and see what they are doing.
Or contact Irene or Garth at the MFLNRO and they will have a good idea what is , has, or could be done.
Ground counts are one of the tools for inventories , but they are also a good reason to get members together for an outing.

Barracuda
02-02-2015, 04:59 PM
can you just show up at the meeting place ?

South Okanagan Sportsman Association 66th Annual Bighorn Count February 15 / 2015
Meet at the Vaseaux LakeProvincial Park at 8 a.m.
Call Ron 250-498-3205 for more info.

GoatGuy
02-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Most of the herds close to people in the EK get counted by locals or government every year.

Argali
02-02-2015, 05:24 PM
How about a domestic sheep count?? I am very concerned and have contacted the authorities in relation to domestics showing up in traditional sheep habitat - Paulo's fruit stand, the fields adjacent to the Steeples to name two high profile examples.

Absolutely... that is worth being concerned about.

Did you contact Jeremy Ayotte, the Program Coordinator at the BC Sheep Separation Program?
Formerly his contacts were 250-804-3513 or email jeremy.ayotte@gmail.com , not sure if they ae still valid.

srupp
02-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi Big Lew hope your surgery went well Susan and I remembered you all day.
Be well .
Steven

Ketchika
02-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Bring ketchika with you if he's allowed to come out and play:):)

Bhb
Trying to make it work. It'd be good to see some old faces

srupp
02-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Hmmm my face is really old.....

Steven

WSSOBC
04-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Btt, these counts are coming up quick! A great chance to get involved.

brno375
04-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Working that Saturday. All the best to Bill, Alex, and the rest.

Big Lew
04-07-2015, 08:43 PM
I will be coming again this year. My surgery went well and I'm feeling
pretty good....old, but pretty good, lol!
As I mentioned to a couple of other sheep counters, I was though the area
last week and noticed the vegetation is far greener than in years past.
Hopefully the sheep will be easier to spot if they haven't already moved
further away and higher.

pg83
04-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Im headed for both counts for the first time. Looking forward!

boxhitch
04-09-2015, 06:36 AM
optics are polished and the G.E. pics printed
Slight chance of rain is good , less mirage :)

srupp
04-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Hmmm everythings packed for 4 am!...Big Lew be careful..snow warning over the passes. .
This is a exellent opportunity not only on how to glass...but to evaluate different optics in the field..what works and whats sales hype.
Drive carefully gents.
Srupp

Big Lew
04-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Yup! Just got to pack my lunch before bed. Been listening to the weather
expected for the passes. Will leave a bit early so that I don't have to rush.
I'll have the cheap optics, lol!

Caveman
04-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Anybody confirm the meeting time i Cache Creek? I'm hearing 07:00 and the first post says 08:00

boxhitch
04-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Started out as 8 , sort of a latest option. Some guys are eager to start earlier ,
Show up early if you want breakfast with a side of bs

Big Lew
04-10-2015, 08:32 PM
:???::???::confused: I was under the impression that we were to meet at 7:00am for
breakfast so that we would be on our way by 8:00am.
I'm about to hit the sack, so if arriving at 7:00-715am is too early,
could someone advise me please? I'm coming from the Fraser Valley.

boxhitch
04-10-2015, 10:04 PM
You've got it right

srupp
04-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm awesome day.great folks..extremely well organized
Steven

Big Lew
04-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Hmmmm awesome day.great folks..extremely well organized
Steven

Totally agree! The lack of sheep sighted in areas we've previously seen them was
overshadowed by the great company I was fortunate enough to enjoy again this year.
As the novice of our foursome, it's great to be able to hear of their experiences
and to absorb their tips and advice.
Hopefully the yearly count will be earlier next year and we'll be fortunate to be
able to count and document a more realistic percentage of the sheep in the area.

untilthelastbeat
04-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Yea what an awesome day. Was great to meet you guys and bs a little and get some time behind the glass. Lots of fun glad I could make it

Tīɡ
04-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't unable to make it out to this event. What was the final tally on the sheep?

untilthelastbeat
04-13-2015, 02:42 AM
I think around 30.. Saw another 6 on the way home aswel

Springer
04-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Curious....Does everyone glass from the highway or do some cross the river and hoof it in those hills to find them?

pg83
04-13-2015, 10:30 AM
We went for our first time. We had the East side of the Thompson from Ashcroft down to Spences. Lots of country to cover and saw 22 sheep. Lots of Muleys down low. Did the Kamloops count yesterday as well which was also a first. We had a higher elevation zone there which seemed to be lacking in sheep as everyone who had zones down low was seeing tons. Saw close to a hundred Muleys and a couple WT as well. It was great to spend some time in that country as I usually just drive through it. Already looking forward to next year.

Caveman
04-13-2015, 11:21 PM
We had a good day along the Fraser. Counted 63 sheep, a good number of young rams and a good ratio of surviving lambs. Weather held off and was pleasant enough in the sun, but was a bit breezy

boxhitch
04-14-2015, 07:47 AM
The Spences Bridge Count for this year was 211 sheep , of those there were 27 rams , 121 ewes and 63 yearling lambs and no fresh lambs.
And , yes , there was a couple of class IV rams spotted.

Compared to last years 233 sheep , things went off pretty good IMO . Thanks to all the spotters that came out for the day.
Prize for Best Effort winner has been determined , goes to the crew that was busy behind the glass til after 4

boxhitch
04-14-2015, 07:51 AM
Curious....Does everyone glass from the highway or do some cross the river and hoof it in those hills to find them?Yes , most all the spotting is from the side opposite the sheep , though some were viewed from a couple of side roads . That area is vertical enough , and the first fresh veggies are down low to concentrate the sheep where they can be viewed from the highway.

This type of count doesn't capture the entire population , but when done with some consistency can be scaled against the aerial counts to give a good picture of any trends in numbers.
The ground count also helps with the age/class/sex breakdown , an important management tool.
Also herd health can be an important detail , any sickly or coughing sheep are noted.
Last year for the first time a new lamb was spotted , in its self not hugely significant , but interesting non the less.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Yes , most all the spotting is from the side opposite the sheep , though some were viewed from a couple of side roads . That area is vertical enough , and the first fresh veggies are down low to concentrate the sheep where they can be viewed from the highway.

This type of count doesn't capture the entire population , but when done with some consistency can be scaled against the aerial counts to give a good picture of any trends in numbers.
The ground count also helps with the age/class/sex breakdown , an important management tool.
Also herd health can be an important detail , any sickly or coughing sheep are noted.
Last year for the first time a new lamb was spotted , in its self not hugely significant , but interesting non the less.

Born in April??!! Crazy.