PDA

View Full Version : Todagin mountain sheep hunting

mikek blacktail
01-29-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm planning a bowhunt for stone sheep in early september,just wondering if anybody has done that hunt recently or past and would answer a few questions about the area ??(not looking for your secret spots)Thx

Whisky Creek
01-30-2015, 04:39 PM
http://www.paulcolangelo.com/surviving-todagin/fk8mg0rmqbvyaa0jv7h7egy5nh9j13

Paul had a couple of neat game cam pics from up there....

He found this ram dead and put a couple game cams on it. Never did hear how the ram had died in the first place.

Never hunted it myself but having done a number of sheep surveys on the mountain in the past, most of the rams seemed to be on the plateau above the south slope and the west end in the crags in mid to late July. Good luck!

mikek blacktail
01-30-2015, 05:07 PM
saw that pic,and thanks

Schutzen
01-30-2015, 05:45 PM
mikek sent pm

mikek blacktail
02-23-2015, 01:12 PM
anyone lol

NorBC
02-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Ya I'll be watching this thread closely :) would love to piggy back off some pms here..

Skull Hunter
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Ya I'll be watching this thread closely :) would love to piggy back off some pms here..

I'm in the same boat. Always been interested in a Todagin hunt.

Bigbruin
02-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Better get in line it's a gong show.

lange1212
02-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Better get in line it's a gong show.

Use the other hunters to your advantage, let them move the sheep around while you hide beside a sheep trail in ambush. The key here is learning how the sheep move over the range. The 1st year is generally a bit of a learning curve on this front, the second year you go up with a game plan. You will see lots of sheep, and some tremendous rams in the steep stuff below ram castle. You need to be a Billy goat to get at these educated old boys.

NorBC
02-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Use the other hunters to your advantage, let them move the sheep around while you hide beside a sheep trail in ambush. The key here is learning how the sheep move over the range. The 1st year is generally a bit of a learning curve on this front, the second year you go up with a game plan. You will see lots of sheep, and some tremendous rams in the steep stuff below ram castle. You need to be a Billy goat to get at these educated old boys.

You out are what you eat! ;)

i I don't mind going in harms way sometimes..

Brez
02-24-2015, 12:45 PM
You will not get better advice than this. In fact, that's the way we learned to hunt them. Pay attention to the trails they are using and you can get ahead and ambush them. We used to find them just about anywhere but more on teh south-east side.

mikek blacktail
02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
thank guys for it help and i do well in gong shows

Good Old Outdoors
02-26-2015, 01:13 AM
All of this is pretty sound advice... I'm going to have to see if I see any rams in my area this year while looking for that big billy.

NorBC
07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Is this still a thing for any of you? No draws for me, so I will be there for opener.. Only time I could get off.

islandarcher
07-15-2015, 12:47 PM
this is a definite must do hunt for me. I think every year I will do this one and have not yet. I have hunted other areas around there for sheep and caribou but never Todagin. Like I say, an absolute must one day!

CHEAM
07-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Last year there was 20 plus groups up there for the opener. Lots of people to move the sheep around.

mikek blacktail
07-15-2015, 07:24 PM
i'll be there but not til august 29

Going 4 It
02-15-2016, 12:52 PM
It is a GONG show is an understatement...... not to be repeated if one enjoys mountain hunting to get away from the crazy world..... the mine going in a stones throw away has put the icing on the shit show!!

Mr. Disappointed.

Eva_Hunts
02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
incredible photography!!!!

Ride Red
02-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Incredible country for sure. Makes you want to step into one of those pictures.

Avalanche123
02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
I have hunted the area a lot and agree it has gotten much too busy. Later in the season the crowds really taper off and yes..."The Mine"...really detracts from the whole experience. Feel free to PM me for info if anyone wants.

archerylife
05-17-2016, 03:40 PM
I have hunted the area a lot and agree it has gotten much too busy. Later in the season the crowds really taper off and yes..."The Mine"...really detracts from the whole experience. Feel free to PM me for info if anyone wants.

hey Avalanche123 i tried to pm you but it said your inbox is full.. if you could pm me that would be awesome! thanks!

Brez
05-18-2016, 04:22 PM
It is a GONG show is an understatement...... not to be repeated if one enjoys mountain hunting to get away from the crazy world..... the mine going in a stones throw away has put the icing on the shit show!!

Mr. Disappointed.
That's too bad. Back in the day, after the first 4 or 5 days, my partner and I were the only ones there.

KevinW
06-22-2018, 12:56 PM
I have gone there a few times but its a busy place.

Avalanche123
03-21-2019, 06:16 AM
I flew by Todagin yesterday. Although I used to hunt the area pre-Red Chris Mine, I had no idea how much the landscape had changed. The dust plume was very far reaching. I guess it's sheep hunting in an "industrial setting" now. I found it to be very unappealing.

I did get some good photos so if any aspiring sheep hunters would like high level oblique photos, feel free to pm me with your email address. I get my "sheep fix" in other ways these days but I don't mind helping others out. Todagain is still unique to bowhunters.

JAGRMEISTER
04-20-2019, 07:43 AM
And didn't the fresh air cops make the photographers life hell! Accused him of baiting the bear and killing the ram for shots!