PDA

View Full Version : Sheep habits as summer turns to fall

Cordillera
01-28-2015, 07:43 PM
I finally am going to try for stone sheep this summer in Region 6. In order to make it work, i need to go the last week of August, not the first which I would prefer. The area I will be in has plenty of sheep, occasional resident use (not heavy because its a fly in) and an outfitter in the general area.

I'm new to sheep hunting so I'm interested in people's experience on how they respond as the summer is ending and there is some hunting pressure? Are they more skittish, in harder ground, or ???

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Argali
01-28-2015, 10:11 PM
It probably depends mostly on the pressure. High pressure over 3 weeks = skittish!

With the high quotas that most of the Reg 6 guides get relative the sheep population, every decent ram in the area has $35K taped to his head. So I wouldn't expect any low-pressure areas in Aug. near a fly-in lake unless the outfitter thinks he cleaned out the rams during the early Aug hunt and has better hunting elsewhere in his area for the late Aug hunt.

primmed99
01-29-2015, 12:33 AM
rams will still be there, they might get pushed to a different area but just have to hunt hard is all....I wouldn't say they will be anymore spooky than before I have shot sheep and had other Rams come right up to the dead one before and get shot from my partner.....pound some hill and shoot straight you'll be fine stone sheep are a easy hunt

Ltbullken
01-29-2015, 10:38 AM
There will likely be pressure by then so you need to think that the sheep will go the safest - i.e. roughest terrain - they can find or where humans dare not tread. And that likley means more miles and a hard retrieve!! :-P

Alfonz
01-29-2015, 07:16 PM
If that is the time you to go then go. I have had good luck in late August. The lack of bugs in the high country that time of year can make for a nice hunt too. The weather sometimes can play into your hunt.

Cordillera
01-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks all. Sounds like the amount of pressure and disruption is the key feature. If the animals are disturbed, look higher, further back, in tougher ground. This gives me more reason to train a little more.

srupp
01-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Hmmm strategy sounds familliar..chuckle..
Good luck..be patient..just remember they are there..
Cheers
Steven