PDA

View Full Version : bear season right around corner

Steelpulse
01-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Ok maybe a getting a little cabiin fever but it's pretty close 63 days away, not that long, can't wait for extended season as well, going to look to up the size from last year's bear and add a another nice bear to the books, already have a spot and bear in mind from last year, anyone else have sweet spring bear plans? Hoping to get out with firstblood and get a nice bear down with his new 45-70, drop the hammer the beast he was 25 yards from last year but couldn't make a safe shot with the. 44 ranch hand

jtred
01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
I intend on going on a couple of weekend backpack trips into a road closure where I hunted last spring and fall. I really want to get my first bear on a backpack trip(I've been hunting for 30+ years but I was never interested in bear hunting until recently). I also plan on quite a few day trips into some south face alpine as soon as it greens up, one mountain in particular because I need to find a water source for next fall. I need to find some water up there so I can pack in and spend a few days for elk and mule deer season.

Rob Chipman
01-28-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm going out for spring bears for sure. Got my first bear last fall and was pretty happy with the meat, but made too much sausage and the hams were too salty (brined for 10 days - really too salty to eat as they are so I've got to make a lot of pea soup). Seems like a no brainer. Get out and explore new areas, re-scout old areas, get a bear, butcher it myself this time, cook some more and make my own hams.

Bear skin should be back from tanners before long! :-)

So far, with my limited experience the best thing about the bear is the fat. I rendered a bit (I'll do way more next time) and have used it constantly for cooking and also rubbed it into my new boots. It seems to love leather, melts in your hand and absorbs nicely.

Funny thing I heard on the new Steve Rinella podcast. He's talking with Joe Rogan about scent and scent suppressors. They talk about guys eating pine needles to cover their breath, and guys eating only leafy greens during hunting season so they don't smell like predators and all sorts of stuff. Rogan says "After I came home from bear hunting and eating the bear meat my wife swore I smelled different". Rinella says quietly "Yeah, you smelled like a man!" :-)

bc_buckshot
01-28-2015, 07:22 PM
I will be out may around my birthday out for my yearly color phase bears. Did get my biggest black colored last year at 6'7". Still in the freezer

ACE
01-28-2015, 07:28 PM
So far, with my limited experience the best thing about the bear is the fat. I rendered a bit (I'll do way more next time) and have used it constantly for cooking and also rubbed it into my new boots. It seems to love leather, melts in your hand and absorbs nicely.

Bear fat mixed with a bit of pine tar works well too. The pine tar seems to give this concoction some stickiness.
Have tried just about every 'cut' of bear meat, and after all these years ..... just get it all cut into 'stew meat' ... it makes great stews with the basic stew ingredients ....potatoes, carrots, and onions. All from your garden of course. :smile:

Good luck this spring ......
I've been out looking here on the Island too. Have seen a bear or two in January - February - March before. ........ there is no snow here now. None up high, nothing!

markomoose
01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Hoping for an early spring up here but you can't count on it.Passed on a shooter last spring.I'm too picky I suppose.

604ksmith
01-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone!

I was quite happy with a moderate case of cabin fever waiting for spring bear to open…but now I see I'm going to slip into a full out obsession. Guess I should bust out the Spring Bear Advent calendar and start counting down.

I too have a spot from last season picked out and I can't stop re-playing different scenarios out in my mind. However the best part is, I'm 99% sure none of these scenarios will occur and the hunt play out better than I could have imagined. Always seems to go that way, and thats fine by me!

moosinaround
01-28-2015, 08:20 PM
63 days, I wish!! We will be a bit longer up here in the stinky city! I sighted in my 243 win today, mainly for dogs, but I would like to thump a bear with it this spring! Moosin

two-feet
01-28-2015, 08:29 PM
My priority for this year is to get my good buddy a bear, it will be his first big game animal as he is a new hunter. I just took a pile of bear meat out of the freezer and got bratwurst (bearwurst) made at the local shop and it is fantastic. I too am looking forward to spring bear. This year I hope to get one that has not rubbed so I can get a rug made.

landphil
01-28-2015, 08:38 PM
It's gonna be at least 3 1/2 months till I can get to my bear area with this years snow, good thing, as I have to load a bunch of ammo by then, and find and pay for a new rifle for the wife who did her CORE/ PAL last fall. And work up a load for it and get her practicing at the range again. After my winter projects are done, of course!:shock:

ICEWOODY
01-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Oh man I'm itching the game plan looks like to source out water.

ICEWOODY
01-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Got my first animal last year it was a little bear off Harrison east. I will hunt bear everyday in the season if I could aford it. The chase and search are always so intense and sleeping out in the bush with more relations to my defender then my woman lol

Gone_Fishin_
01-29-2015, 10:48 AM
My goal this year is to tag one with an arrow. Put the stalk on one last year but couldnt get within my comfort zone for a shot, was within shooting distance if i was in my back yard staring at a target bag, but with the heart pumping, a 40 minute belly crawl i just couldn't hold the bow still enough to let it fly at 46 yards. Still not comfortable shooting a animal at that distance, want to ensure it is a clean ethical kill and i made the right move on letting him pass. I know where he sleeps so hopefully he'll be on the same hillside come this spring.

Even though im new to hunting and havent shot one myself yet, spring bear has to be one of my favorite times of year. Just being up in those mountains with spring in the air is awesome. I love hiking in sunny cold weather and can't beat the scenery we have here in BC. looking forward to them opening, If i can't tag one out here in the spring will extend my yearly Stamp river trip to Port alberni and pick up a nice Island BB come Sept. If i can get to them before they get to the salmon...

DarekG
01-29-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping to get my first ever bear this year! I found a spot last year with giant turds everywhere that looks real promising. :smile:

BigfishCanada
01-29-2015, 11:47 AM
HAd a bear in my yard last saturday night, yep, warm winter hungry bears

Heffernan89
01-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Ill be doing my first bear hunt this year... looking forward to it... plan on going to where I saw some track during the deer season (if the snow melts is was pretty high up ) or a marsh... I don't know a lot about bear hunting but trying to read as much as I can

Quesnel Kid
01-31-2015, 12:12 AM
Goal is to get one with the bow this year. Been practicing......

Got a nice one last year all the pep and salami almost gone.

Camp Cook
01-31-2015, 10:41 AM
I'll be getting out a few times plan on using my 14" barreled single shot T/C Contender carbines in 375JDJ and 45-70 this year.

Have the 375JDJ loaded with 235gr bonded Claw bullets @ 2050fps - 2100fps and the 45-70 is going to be loaded with 350gr WFNGC hard cast haven't chrony'ed the load yet and/or 300gr Barnes TTSX that I just bought should be here later this coming week.

I'd use both these combo's out to 200 yards on moose/black bear/grizzly.

Here is a pic of the 375JDJ

http://www.hunt101.com/data/544/medium/TC_Contender_14_inch_375JDJ.JPG

jtred
01-31-2015, 02:54 PM
I think I'm leaning towards using my 25-06rem for bear season this year. So far it hasn't been hunting yet and I'd like to take an animal with it before I restock it for my two girls to use. My soon-to-be 12 year old is really expressing interest in trying for a deer this year so we'll see how it goes with practising with a centerfire so I think I may lose the 25-06 for a few years.

ACE
01-31-2015, 03:53 PM
jtred ..... just a thought ..... if you have a rifle in a larger calibre/bullet weight it may be a better bear option for you.

Camp Cook
01-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Black bears are easy to kill a 25-06 with an appropriate bullet will do the job.

BearStump
01-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Got a new to me .338 win mag this year that's hungry for its first kill. "Coquitlam" has it at the moment, puting a Kuiu verde hydro dip pattern on it.

kamloopshunter25
01-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Hoping to get a nice colour phase that has eluded me the past 2 years, passed a few nice blacks cause I want that cinnamon

Good Old Outdoors
01-31-2015, 11:40 PM
Black bears are easy to kill a 25-06 with an appropriate bullet will do the job.

agreed! I'm more then confident in my 25.06 with 120 grain core lokt to take a bear. I find the Superformance sst are good past 200 yards as well

HarryToolips
02-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Yup can't wait..I've decided to be less picky for a big bear this spring and just shoot one when I get the opportunity..

Murder
02-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Counting down here too. So warm, I can easily get up high. No snow at all, even the ski resort is hurting

srupp
02-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Hmmm gotta finish with elk Leh...before I jump forward to spring bear...the area I hang out for blackies has a 40% color phase..brown red ,blond...but they all look the same in garlic sausage..lol
Cheers
Steven

leadpillproductions
02-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Never killed a colour phase one yet .

Good Old Outdoors
02-01-2015, 01:18 AM
I'm running out of wild meat! 2 months to go!

Funeral Of Hearts
02-01-2015, 10:28 AM
What do you all typically do with your bear after you shoot it? Do you keep the hide? Hows the meat? Ive never hunted bear.

LupieHunter
02-01-2015, 10:54 AM
What do you all typically do with your bear after you shoot it? Do you keep the hide? Hows the meat? Ive never hunted bear.
You can get hams made out of bear and they are delicious.

jtred
02-01-2015, 11:05 AM
I've never taken a bear either but I have tried it before, the bear ham I've had was quite good. I plan on trying my hand at making my own hams and smoking them in my little smoker. As for the rest I'll try some roasts, steaks, and make the rest into burger. If we like the meat I'll be buying a bear tag or two every year. Personally I have no interest in the hide (not into taxidermy and trophies) although I think the skull would look great in our future fern garden and the claws I'll keep as well.

sausage lover
02-01-2015, 11:51 AM
My wife is cooking bear chilli tonight!:-P We packed our bear meat out on our backs last spring and did our first attempt at butchering.Was alot of work but well worth it.

Funeral Of Hearts
02-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Its tempting. I may have to get out and try it. I have eaten hear before too, just never hunted for.. well.. anything, and what to do when the animal is down makes me nervous as I dont like to waste. I just finished the core so I will be looking at spring bear as an option. :) I will be watching youtube and reading lots between then and now.

LupieHunter
02-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Bear meatballs are another tasty option too.

pin_head
02-01-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm growing very antsy to hunt. I'm reaaaaally hoping to pop my bow cherry and take one down with an arrow. If that doesn't pan out, my mountain rifle in. 270 is still a virgin too. I'd like to try out my latest load of 110 grain TTSX on mr yogi bear.

Cheers,
Brad

Quesnel Kid
02-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Since we are talking bear hunting/meat....

My question is about worms, I shot a bear last spring with worms in the muscle fascia. What is the collective opinion out there regarding worms in Bear meat? I cleaned the meat up as best I could froze it for 30+ days and then got it made into pepperoni and salami with no ill health effects. I just didn't tell the wifey cuz she would have been grossed out and not eaten it ;)

QK

leadpillproductions
02-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Your a brave man if I would have seen worms no way id eat it
Since we are talking bear hunting/meat....

My question is about worms, I shot a bear last spring with worms in the muscle fascia. What is the collective opinion out there regarding worms in Bear meat? I cleaned the meat up as best I could froze it for 30+ days and then got it made into pepperoni and salami with no ill health effects. I just didn't tell the wifey cuz she would have been grossed out and not eaten it ;)

QK

plumberjustin
02-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm gettin pretty antsy to get out for bears as well. Got a trip planned for my birthday last week of May, should be just right. Scouted plenty of areas last season, just can't decide between Fraser Canyon, Coquihalla, or highway 3 past Manning.

sausage lover
02-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Parasites and game meat is common, just make sure u dont eat raw or under cooked bear! Treat bear meat like its raw pork and cook to an internal temp of 170 and all parasites trich etc. will be dead. I must admit seeing worms crawling around near the exit hole is unappatizing:frown:

Camp Cook
02-02-2015, 07:06 PM
I shoot em but don't eat em if I ate them I'd shoot a lot more of them...