PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite grouse recipe

boilerroom
01-27-2015, 03:04 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this...

I've got a half dozen grouse left in the freezer I'd like to get cooked up... breasted with legs attached.

What's your favorite grouse recipe?

thanks,
boilerroom

LupieHunter
01-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Shake n bake grouse is delicious. Good with pheasant too.

rides bike to work
01-27-2015, 04:03 PM
I like grouse noodle soup personally

adriaticum
01-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Search on here you'll find lots.
I like them bacon wrapped.

twanger
01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Grouse and Crab is my favorite..

Sasqman
01-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Strips tossed in franks and served wih blue cheese.

hare_assassin
01-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Lightly fry up some minced garlic in butter and oil in a cast iron pan.

Sprinkle deboned grouse meat with salt, pepper and thyme and then fry in pan, about 1.5 minutes per side.

Eat.

Liveforthehunt
01-27-2015, 04:51 PM
I tried something new this year crushed up plain ripple chips and cut into chicken strips this was out in the field and they were tasty

07blackwater
01-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Simmered in mushroom soup then over wild rice.

Curried grouse is a camp favourite too.

Gone_Fishin_
01-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Grouse Fettuccine Alfredo.

So far best recipe i've used grouse for, Buddies wife cooked some up for us this past hunting trip and i was hooked. Simply debone, cut up into chunks, pan fry add salt/pepper and any other spices you'd like, then add a jar of alfredo sauce, toss on top of pasta, yumm yumm..

Also have done butter "grouse" instead of chicken on basmati rice with nann bread, again top notch !

BigfishCanada
01-28-2015, 08:53 AM
I was blown away with my buddy Pauls suggestion, hammer it with a meat hammer, when your fry or cook up after the meat is 100 times better. I find it real tough if you dont

boilerroom
01-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Awesome guys, thanks! I've got a few to try!!

BR

Blainer
01-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Simmered in mushroom soup then over wild rice.

Curried grouse is a camp favourite too.similiar, simmer de-boned chunks in oven with mushroom soup and sour cream for 1 hour, add cooked pasta(macaroni), top with swiss cheese(parmesan), bake additional 1/2 hour

Gone_Fishin_
01-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Take the whole grouse bone in and place in middle of crock pot or oven dish... surround it with potatoes peeled sliced into 1/4's, place carrots, mushrooms and some cut up celery around it was well. Cover in a jar of favorite pasta sauce, bake at 425 for 1 hour or more. Or crock pot and simmer all day.

Use this for chicken all the time and substitute for grouse when i have it.

frenchbar
01-28-2015, 11:15 AM
I like cutting into pieces marinade in roasted red pepper salad dressing then quick fried in a pan served over rice

303savage
01-28-2015, 11:22 AM
I like to pluck them and stuff em like a turkey.

moosinaround
01-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Butter grouse is fantastic! I like to take the whole breast bone in, and bake it with a little BBQ sauce. I also like to make nuggets with them as well, with red pepper jelly! Moosin

07blackwater
01-28-2015, 12:42 PM
One time I made kebabs and they went really fast.
Marinade grouse chunks and double smoked bacon in teriyaki over night.
Wrap the grouse in the bacon, skewer then grill.

markomoose
01-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Sweet and Sour Grouse over rice is a camp tradition.Of course with your fave adult beverage. Cheers Mark

M.Dean
01-28-2015, 05:35 PM
I was blown away with my buddy Pauls suggestion, hammer it with a meat hammer, when your fry or cook up after the meat is 100 times better. I find it real tough if you dont This was the only way my Mother cooked Grouse, she'd pound it out, then roll it up with a slice of black forest ham and a slice of Gouda or Monteray Jack cheese, then a quick fry with butter, salt, pepper and a touch of garlic, we called it "Grama's Grouse "Cor don Bleu"!

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Grouse M'cNuggets. Dredge in seasoned pancake flour and fry in hot oil. Dip in sweet Thai chilli sauce. Wash down with a cold Bud or 2

plumberjustin
02-05-2015, 05:06 PM
I've done a couple slow cooker stews combing grouse and snowshoe hare. Was delicious and very tender.

Squamch
02-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Strips tossed in franks and served wih blue cheese.

Bingo! I make grouse fingers about once a month.

guntech
02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Old freezer grouse... you need to sprinkle a little red wine on the meat as it thaws... then drink the bottle and feed the dogs...

russm
02-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Grouse M'cNuggets. Dredge in seasoned pancake flour and fry in hot oil. Dip in sweet Thai chilli sauce. Wash down with a cold Bud or 2

BINGO! Or mcnugget form and then tossed into a stir fry.

SWD
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Filet grouse breast off bone.
Dip in beaten egg .
Dredge in dry mixture (1 cup flour,3/4 cup onion soup mix,Granulated garlic,papirika,lemon pepper)
Pan fry in cast iron fry pan with olive oil,
Recipe good on deer chops also!

thanks,
boilerroom[/QUOTE]

Fred1
02-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Shoot bird... clean bird... make fire... fillet breast (woo woo!)... heat a pan on fire... melt a bit of butter... add fillet, pepper, and a slice of apple... repeat...

hare_assassin
02-06-2015, 12:01 PM
I was blown away with my buddy Pauls suggestion, hammer it with a meat hammer, when your fry or cook up after the meat is 100 times better. I find it real tough if you dont

Tough?

The rule with grouse (as with most game) is either eat it rare or cook it low and slow. I prefer my grouse rare.

Anywhere in the middle and it gets tough.

rbduck
02-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Three cheese grouse
Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup of fine bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 cup of milk
1 cup of Parmesan''shake'' cheese
1/4 cup of parsley flakes
4 or 6 grouse breasts
2 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
2 ounces of shredded Monteray Jack cheese
1 teaspoon of steak seasoning
Instructions
Gently pound breast meat between two pieces of plastic wrap. Mix both shredded cheeses together. Place one half of cheese mixture on two of the breasts and top with the other two breasts, holding together with toothpicks if necessary.
Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes together in a med sized bowl.
Whisk milk and egg together. Carefully dip grouse breasts, first in flour, the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs to completely coat breasts.
Arrange on a cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts. Enjoy!

Ron

Grumpa Joe
02-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Check out this recipe. I made it in November and it was amazing. Talk about comfort food.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=EqapGQKRHH8C&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&dq=grouse+cacciatore&source=bl&ots=Qqfb-LnFb0&sig=4reaVCRyG6dUW4pLZUftv9s6M2M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=boLWVM3cPIraoASQqYDwAQ&ved=0CE0Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=grouse%20cacciatore&f=false

Joe

albravo2
02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
great thread. one thing we all manage to put in the freezer every year.

are there any regions of BC that don't have grouse? i can't think of any.

i chop and sautee some onion, peppers and some garlic in a light oil, then mix in some Patak's hot curry paste until the whole mess is reddish brown. Next, add cubed grouse meat and cook to your desired doneness. Alone or over rice or mashed potatoes, this is a delicious and quick way to eat some of nature's finest.

ACB
02-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Just a little salt and pepper, cut into 1in. chunks, lightly fried so still juicy so you can taste what a grouse tastes like, nothing fancy and better off fresh.

Gone_Fishin_
02-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Just cooked up some grouse for dinner !

Covered bottom of ceramic baking dish with spinache spaghetti sauce, placed grouse breasts in middle, cut red potatoes in half, placed around outside of pan. Filled in gaps with peeled chopped carrots/celery/mushrooms. Sprinkle salt/pepper/garlic on top, Covered with remaining jar of spaghetti sauce. In the oven covered at 400 for 45-60 or until potatoes are cooked. Broil high for few minutes near end.

Awesome...

Wild one
02-26-2015, 09:08 AM
For ruffies and blues battered in onion soup mix, flour, and spices than pan fried in bacon grease

Spruce stir fry in teriyaki. ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and a mix of veg. For veg I like mushrooms, red peppers, broccoli, bean sprouts, sweet peas, and carrots. Throw this on top of rice and your good to go

Both simple and good

OKsean
03-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Prisciutto wrapped grouse w/ thyme and veg:
- leave breasts on bone
- drizzle w/ olive oil
- put a few sprigs of thyme on the underside of breasts, then wrap in prisciutto
- roast w/ some veg; carrots, onions and a clove or two of garlic, or whatever you like
- fill roasting pan w/ about 3/4 inch of chicken stock, keeps things nice and moist
- cook at 350 until done

Redneck Rocket
03-19-2015, 11:02 AM
I love a grouse Pot Pie. And this technique has the advantage of getting all the meat off the bone and not wasting any.

Quick sautee of some onions/garlic in a dutch oven. Throw 2 or 3 birds in with some water or stock, little bit of white wine and put the dutch oven into the oven at about 200 degrees for a couple of hours. Pull it out, and if you give a gentle stir, most of the meat will fall off. From here I like to pour the whole thing through a strainer into a pot, strip the meat off the carcass and pull any bones that fell off out of the strainer. Chuck all the meat/onions into the broth in the pot, throw whatever veggies you like (a frozen corn/carrots/peas mix is easy but broccoli is nice, some potatoes whatever you like.) Salt & pepper it all to taste, and add some milk or cream. Pull some broth out and whisk some flour or cornstarch in, stir back into the mix, simmer to thicken it.

Once you have a nice consistency, spoon the mix into a bunch of pie plates, throw some crusts on the top (I just buy the pre-made ones.) Wrap them and put them in the freezer and then they are oven-ready.

If I bag 3+ grouse I like to make a batch like this, makes 5 or 6 pies, and they you have some easy meals for busy week nights!

Sofa King
03-19-2015, 11:12 AM
simple cubed, floured, and fried.

gitnadoix
07-14-2015, 10:31 PM
1) hike about 10 km away from any road or trail
2) shoot grouse with a long bow
3) jam a stick into the breast and hold it over a very small fire till done
4) eat with your hands and watch the sun set

you'll never have a better meal :p

leannejason
07-15-2015, 03:04 AM