PDA

View Full Version : Got my kuiu order thinking of going with sitka

donny.brooke
01-27-2015, 06:35 AM
I got my kuiu order and got charged out the ying yang on duties etc.
Taking a seriouse look at sitka from grouse river. Its a bit more money but dont have to play the waiting or is it going to fit game.
My first piece is possibly going to be the jetstream jacket then 90 percent pant. Any feedback on these items would be great.

SR80
01-27-2015, 07:48 AM
I made the switch from kuiu to sitka last summer for that same reason. Although i like some kuiu stuff over sitka still (super down jacket and vest, and zip off long johns are on my wish list still) I picked up timberline pants (they're awesome best pant i have ever worn in my opinion) Wore them on a sheep hunt in august right up till the end of deer season here (dec 10) with a long john underneath. I also went with the jetstream jacket and Its a great jacket as well, I like it better than the kuiu guide jacket. Wind doesn't blow through it, I found it to breath better as well. The DWR i felt was pretty similar between the two. I have no experience with the 90 pant or jacket though. The traverse hoody is my fav sitka piece.

allan
01-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Same as sr80, My favorite pieces are the Sitka mtn pants, traverse shirts ( I buy them on sale when I can) and jet stream jacket and vest. I have the older style 90% pants in forest and use them as lounging pants Around the house. I always take my Mtn pants first.
I will wear long johns or fleece pants underneath when it's colder out. And a merino wool shirt and light weight down jacket under my jet stream when it's about -10 out.
I love the merino wool beanie, and have wore them out just for every day use. I wish Sitka made them in solid colors BC I use them more for everyday and not for hunting.
My next purchases will be any of the Sitka gear in solid colors that I can find on sale this spring so my wife will not be embarrassed to go hiking with me in my camo clothes ( cause they are more comfortable)

swampthing
01-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Your Sitka choices are great. I have a large assortment of their gear and love it. I have the Jetstream coat and 90% pants. Good choice. The Jetstream is more windproof than the 90% coat and breathes well. The 90% coat is a little cooler and breaths better. I can wear the 90% pants year around but also have the ascent pants which are cooler for early season. I started getting bored of my Sitka and just got my first kuiu order. I paid 45% over checkout price delivered but its still cheaper than full price Sitka. And my pants didn't fit so if you ship them back you loose about 30% duty and pay additional shipping. Most of my Sitka was bought from 30%-50% off making it cheaper. Its 30% off right now at wholesale.

donny.brooke
01-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Im also thinking of canceling my icon pro 1850 pack order as its on backorder and probably north of 500 bucks by the time it lands here to me and go with the eberlestock team elk pack. Im looking for a day pack i can haul meat on like a packboard

allan
01-27-2015, 10:15 AM
My two packs are the badlands 2200, and mr ranch 6500.
The badlands meat shelf works pretty good. I typically debone a deer and my partner and I can each haul half a deer.
my other crazy partner managed to strap two small quarters bone in from a spike fork moose on his 2200 to stagger the short 1km hike out.
I was amazed that the pack could hold up to that.
I put both quarters of my half into my mr 6500 and simply sauntered ( read staggered) out at the same time.
My pack loaded was pushing 200lbs. I ended up taking the antlers, extra meat and his rifle cause he needed both hands to walk thru the Bush...

Wentrot
01-27-2015, 10:45 AM
I have the jetstream lite jacket among other items and love it. Chose it over the standard jetstream due to less bulk and have had no complaints.

Grakyn
01-27-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't see too many people with the Cloudburst gear. Is there a reason why?

Wentrot
01-27-2015, 03:58 PM

I have the jacket, will get the pants in the near future

BCHoyt
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
If you wait til Wholesale does their 30% off sales on camo you can get some smokin deals.. Also watch camofire.com for Sitka stuff as long as you know what sizes work for you..

604ksmith
01-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Wholesale currently has their Sitka gear 30%.

However, I would also wait until Kuiu opens up their Canadian distribution which I've heard will be sometime around spring hunting season. That way you avoid the costly duty and shipping fee but still get what in my mind is the superior product.

Lastcar
01-27-2015, 07:22 PM

I used the jacket this past season. I was happy with it the few days I needed it. Used the Stormfront pants as well.

Only reason I am getting rid of them is I am giving the Dewpoint stuff a go, shaves a pound off the pack weight. Where it spends 95% of its time.

A bit worried about how the Dewpoint will hold up in a miserable downpour but so be it. If I decide to go back to the heavier stuff I want to do so in solids I think. A bit more versatile for something that isn't worn a lot.

swampthing
01-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Im also thinking of canceling my icon pro 1850 pack order as its on backorder and probably north of 500 bucks by the time it lands here to me and go with the eberlestock team elk pack. Im looking for a day pack i can haul meat on like a packboard

I bought a team elk pack with the same thoughts as you. I use an eberlestock dragonfly and didn't like the weight of it. The team elk pack turned out to be too small for my day gear and meat hauling, for my needs anyway. I went back to the dragonfly which works great, but its heavy. I have a kuiu icon pro 4500 on order. Will see how that works.

boonerbucks
01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
I have the jet stream jacket and 2 pairs of the the timberline pants, great gear I wear them all year and just add an extra layer underneath for the winter. I was going to order the icon pro 5200 pack but am also worried about the price by the time it gets here. I recently have been looking into ship happens it is a warehouse in Orville USA that you are able to ship to and then drive down to pick up later to avoid crazy duties charges. Anyone ever try this or hear about it?

Lastcar
01-28-2015, 01:46 AM
I have the jet stream jacket and 2 pairs of the the timberline pants, great gear I wear them all year and just add an extra layer underneath for the winter. I was going to order the icon pro 5200 pack but am also worried about the price by the time it gets here. I recently have been looking into ship happens it is a warehouse in Orville USA that you are able to ship to and then drive down to pick up later to avoid crazy duties charges. Anyone ever try this or hear about it?

I do this but to a place in Blaine.

What you avoid is the automatic duty and taxes that are applied to most Kuiu orders.

Doesn't mean the border officer won't send you in when you declare in person.

At worst I've had to pay the taxes. And not very often. As a rule I am pretty upfront with what I have.

If you've been down for 20 mins and roll back across with a $500 pack. They don't care and don't feel you are doing anything wrong. Nor should you feel that if you get sent in. It's how it works, you are welcome to bring most things back, and according to the rules you'll pay tax and duty.

And sometimes they say good enough and let you through without having to pay. Oddly more times than you'd think.

In the long run I've come out way ahead. Even paying taxes from time to time and with exchange. But that is certainly a finer line with the dollar filling its diaper lately.

So certainly worth the time and drive IMO. Just don't be a dummy and have any alcohol or tabbaco. Don't poke the bear. Make it as simple as possible for them to wave you through.

SR80
01-28-2015, 07:52 AM
I have a cloudburst jacket and I like it a lot, very comparable to the kuiu chugach jacket. I like the sitka better because you can tuck the hood up into the collar.

If kuiu actually gets a Canadian distribution that will be great, but I cant see it being perfect, like I mentioned in another thread, half their current store is on back order...

pg83
01-28-2015, 12:35 PM
I have a cloudburst jacket and I like it a lot, very comparable to the kuiu chugach jacket. I like the sitka better because you can tuck the hood up into the collar.

If kuiu actually gets a Canadian distribution that will be great, but I cant see it being perfect, like I mentioned in another thread, half their current store is on back order...

I'm holding off on my purchases with them for now for just this reason. I have a bunch of Kuiu gear and have nothing bad to say about any of their products, but I got hosed on my last purchase with the duties. The back order issues are continually getting better just as most of the products are. They don't bother me, but I usually get the jump on products being in the Inner Circle club though.

Wentrot
01-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Is it a confirmed thing that Kuiu will be getting a Canadian distributor?

BRvalley
01-28-2015, 02:11 PM
I won't be ordering again, 40% hit on top of the order charges is insane...here's my last reply from kuiu

Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately I am unaware of plans for a Canadian distribution center past or future. We have had a lot of Canadian customers hit hard on duties since the Canadian Retailers Association lobbied for higher fees on clothing and furniture companies entering back in May. We have been looking into this, but no final word yet as to which way we are moving with this problem.

Best regards,

Darryl
KUIU Customer Service
855-367-5848
M-F 9:00A-5:00PM PST

Wentrot
01-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks BRvalley, that answers my question

ytlogger
01-28-2015, 09:56 PM
Not to get too far off the thread but, any comments on Kryptek clothing?

SR80
01-29-2015, 08:09 AM
I won't be ordering again, 40% hit on top of the order charges is insane...here's my last reply from kuiu

Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately I am unaware of plans for a Canadian distribution center past or future. We have had a lot of Canadian customers hit hard on duties since the Canadian Retailers Association lobbied for higher fees on clothing and furniture companies entering back in May. We have been looking into this, but no final word yet as to which way we are moving with this problem.

Best regards,

Darryl
KUIU Customer Service
855-367-5848

Their customer service doesnt give any info out at all, and its kind of lame. I remembered when that ultra pack came out and then like a week later Elk hunter magazine did a 2014 pack review and they reviewed the icon pack, and said in the summer of 2014 the new pro icon pack was coming out with the 500D material etc, then guys were emailing kuiu asking about the new pack that everyone was reading about in the magazine. Customer service said the same crap, "we are unaware of this new pack" then a month later in released on their website.

donny.brooke
01-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Heres what i got and the breakdown its really bad
one tiburon pant
one tiburon zip tee
one ball cap
two marino beenie
Total 319 us shipped times 1.23 for exchange is 392 canadian plus 123 dollars for the postman when he arrived is 515 total. Sitka gear is cheaper by far and now that its on sale at wholesale its really appealing. I still have two bino harnesses on route from Kuiu but thats it for me. I cancelled my icon pro pack backorder.

Rackmastr
01-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Best regards,

Darryl
KUIU Customer Service
855-367-5848

KUIU uses this line but the reality is the duties are being charged because they moved manufacturing overseas, so NAFTA no longer applied. They used to manufacture their items in Canada and when they went overseas, duty rates started being applied. Clothing/boots/etc have always had a very high duty rate (18-21%) and that's nothing new at all.

CDN distribution center wouldn't help alleviate duties that would be charged on their items made overseas. Only difference a customer would see is the price at retail level would increase in CDN dollars.

Rackmastr
01-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Wholesale currently has their Sitka gear 30%.

However, I would also wait until Kuiu opens up their Canadian distribution which I've heard will be sometime around spring hunting season. That way you avoid the costly duty and shipping fee but still get what in my mind is the superior product.

See my post.....duty will be applied regardless if KUIU imports their own items and then distributes within Canada or if a customer buys it in the USA and then pays the duty. Regardless, if items that were manufactured overseas are being imported (by the retailer, the customer, a distribution center, etc), the items will have duty rates applied.

KUIU is made overseas. A Sitka or Arcteryx, etc jacket from the USA will have a duty rate applied as well if they are not made in Canada/USA/Mexico or another country with a free trade agreement.

cdnshooter13
01-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Im slowly recieving my kuiu gear in the mail and havent had any extra charges yet on the hat and neck gaitor, my jacket is on the way now so we'll see what happens. Mine has been coming by by canada post to my mailbox so i havent had anyone at my door expecting any more money. I know if they asked me for 40% more at more door step id tell them to shove it.

Rackmastr
01-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Im slowly recieving my kuiu gear in the mail and havent had any extra charges yet on the hat and neck gaitor, my jacket is on the way now so we'll see what happens. Mine has been coming by by canada post to my mailbox so i havent had anyone at my door expecting any more money. I know if they asked me for 40% more at more door step id tell them to shove it.

There is a threshold for value where they wont collect duty (smaller purchases, etc).

Canada Post will hold a package and often notify you of a fee needing to be paid (on the ones that CBSA collects duty) They collect on behalf of CBSA before delivering items.

300rum700
01-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Expect to see a big jump in price with the falling Canadian dollar. It's been posted tons before 18% duty, 12% tax and a 10 dollar handling fee can be applied to any order and seems to be more hit than miss these days. Sitka won't solve your problems once new inventory hits the shelves but at least you'll know what your paying.

cdnshooter13
01-30-2015, 02:22 AM
There is a threshold for value where they wont collect duty (smaller purchases, etc).

Canada Post will hold a package and often notify you of a fee needing to be paid (on the ones that CBSA collects duty) They collect on behalf of CBSA before delivering items.

Well i guess ill have to wait and see. After a little research I found that 20$ is the low cut off. Both my items ive received so far retailed at 19.99 american so my cost was more than 20 bucks, and no duty charged. I think alot of the time its a crap shoot and also depends on your method of shipping as ive received numerous other items lately with no additional charges incurred. Fingers are crossed that my jacket and pants slip through the cracks and ill update with the final outcome.

SR80
01-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Well i guess ill have to wait and see. After a little research I found that 20$ is the low cut off. Both my items ive received so far retailed at 19.99 american so my cost was more than 20 bucks, and no duty charged. I think alot of the time its a crap shoot and also depends on your method of shipping as ive received numerous other items lately with no additional charges incurred. Fingers are crossed that my jacket and pants slip through the cracks and ill update with the final outcome.

Highly doubtful itll slip through.

Buck
01-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I suppose it has been mentioned but you guys should have your stuff shipped to "Ship Happens" there is one in Asoyoos and one in Sumas make a day trip or weekend and pick it up you will save a lot on duty shipping ect.Or make a friend near the border get them to ship it too you.

Rackmastr
01-30-2015, 01:45 PM
I suppose it has been mentioned but you guys should have your stuff shipped to "Ship Happens" there is one in Asoyoos and one in Sumas make a day trip or weekend and pick it up you will save a lot on duty shipping ect.Or make a friend near the border get them to ship it too you.

Still a chance of paying duty obviously, but odds are lower in my experience. Same duty rates do apply though if an officer wishes to collect.

Shipping costs are a good savings for sure though!

jlirot
01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
If you're out of the country for 24 hours or longer you can import up to a certain threshold without duty or taxes. Also, if the clothing is not in new packaging and has been 'worn' and stowed in your suitcase nobody knows that you didn't take it down with you when you crossed over in the first place.

If you run across for a couple hours and then try to come back with new stuff - you'll get hit with duty. I know. :-) I went across for a quick business meeting and tried to bring back a bottle of vino and a case of beer. They made me pay duty.

But, my wife and I travel down regularly for a couple of days and buy clothes (mainly for the kids) and stuff and we've never been questioned. We do keep the volume to a reasonable limit and stay below the legal threshold.

I'm 'lucky' in that I travel regularly to the states and have a house there (spoiler alert - I'm a Yank). I can't believe how much $$ I save by shipping things to the States and bringing it across vs. buying it here.

Rackmastr
01-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Also, if the clothing is not in new packaging and has been 'worn' and stowed in your suitcase nobody knows that you didn't take it down with you when you crossed over in the first place.

Hahaha.....I wouldnt follow this advice too closely as it wont work all the time, and the penalty for smuggling is much higher than the duty lol.

Yes, after 24 hours you have $200 duty/tax free and after 48 hours you have $800. The savings on shipping is the big thing of course, and if you're down and have an exemption you'll save all your duty on clothing/footwear/textiles/etc

todbartell
01-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I was told Sitka is having a Canadian warehouse for dealers in 2016, and that Sitka Gear made in China will be shipped directly to Canada, avoiding any American duty charges. This should help lower pricing a lot

albravo2
01-30-2015, 06:24 PM
I go across the line once every two weeks, back the same day.

I always get hit for duty if i bring booze. Very rarely if I have clothes or gear under $500.

donny.brooke
01-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Bought a bunch of sitka today
traverse zip tee
ascent pant
timberline pant
cloudburst jacket
core zip tee
ball cap
jetstream beenie
now all i need is my jetstream jacket and im done. 30 percent off and it all fits lol. 820 total tax in . The lady helping me was smokin hot to boot lol.

goinghunting
01-30-2015, 11:05 PM
traverse zip tee
ascent pant
timberline pant
cloudburst jacket
core zip tee
ball cap
jetstream beenie
now all i need is my jetstream jacket and im done. 30 percent off and it all fits lol. 820 total tax in . The lady helping me was smokin hot to boot lol.

Wear are you finding 30% off sitka?

goinghunting
01-30-2015, 11:05 PM
traverse zip tee
ascent pant
timberline pant
cloudburst jacket
core zip tee
ball cap
jetstream beenie

Wear are you finding 30% off sitka?

donny.brooke
01-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Wholesale sports. All there camo is 30% off.

Obi-wanshinobi
02-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I've got a bunch of KUIU stuff and up until recently I was never hit with anything extra. My last order during the Black Friday sale I paid almost $200 on a $400 order. I'm not buying anything unless I visit the in-laws in the U.S.A. and have it shipped there.

donny.brooke
02-01-2015, 09:30 AM
I have my tiburon set for sale in the buy and sell section

scott_karana
02-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Wait, isn't Kuiu's stuff still sewn in Richmond, BC? You shouldn't have to pay duties on anything Canadian-made (or US: NAFTA)...?

Rackmastr
02-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Wait, isn't Kuiu's stuff still sewn in Richmond, BC? You shouldn't have to pay duties on anything Canadian-made (or US: NAFTA)...?

Not anymore. They moved their manufacturing overseas.