PDA

View Full Version : One cow killer gone, two to go

Doostien
01-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Sunday morning I found one of my Yearling calves dead in the middle of the field. When I drove over I could see dog tracks all over the place so it wasn't too hard to figure out what had happened.

This morning I paid them back and got this 115lb black bugger.

http://i.imgur.com/F6nJo96.jpg

Hopefully I can get the other two in the next two days. I can't take many more hits like that.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-26-2015, 07:21 PM
nice good dog

twanger
01-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Excellent to see, where u located?

Doublelung
01-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Nicely done!!

itsy bitsy xj
01-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Great job! where are you

albravo2
01-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Good work!

I know wolves are big animals but it is sobering to see one in the back of a pickup. A good size.

Your dog looks like he isn't fully convinced the bugger is dead.

Apolonius
01-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Hope you get all of them.Good luck.

elkhunterette
01-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Awesome, good luck on the other two.

Ride Red
01-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Good work!

I know wolves are big animals but it is sobering to see one in the back of a pickup. A good size.

Would you, that's a big dog. Good on you for wack'in that one Doostien.

lone wolf
01-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Nice one , good luck on the next ones hope they dont do much more damage

Doostien
01-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Excellent to see, where u located?

I'm up the North Thompson River, close to Whispering Pines. In the last 3-5 years the wolves have moved south down the Valley. I've heard as far as Bachelor Heights in Kamloops.

Good work!

He wasn't. It took a lot of convincing to get him up in the truck. But I wanted a picture of the two of them together. Puts how big they really are in perspective.

steveo
01-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Harvest what urine you can out of it so you can use it down the road if you have trouble catching the rest. Good job!!

Ruffed
01-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Excellent work! I hope you get the other two.

The Dawg
01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm up the North Thompson River, close to Whispering Pines. In the last 3-5 years the wolves have moved south down the Valley. I've heard as far as Bachelor Heights in Kamloops.

He wasn't. It took a lot of convincing to get him up in the truck. But I wanted a picture of the two of them together. Puts how big they really are in perspective.

Batchelor and Pritchard have confirmed sightings.

My mother in laws ranch is the South side of the river....

Jagermeister
01-26-2015, 10:32 PM
The trapper up in the Watching creek area was snaring them in 2008 when I was sledding up on the Porcupine Plateau. I think he said he got 7 that year. I know we would see their tracks over the sled trails quite often.. Most sledding was done mid week.

Liveforthehunt
01-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Great job keep it up and save a few more moose deer and domestic cattle !!!

M.Dean
01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
We have them up here also, and bloody Cougars too! Our Fathers and Grand Fathers spent many a hours hunting both the Wolf and the Cougars down because if they lost a cow or horse to them, it made life dam near impossible! Now a days we have folks that have never seen what these animals can do, fighting to bring them back for Christ sakes!!! That hide would sure look good on the wall, good luck on getting the other ones!

pg83
01-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Nice lookin dog for sure! Good job and good luck on the other ones.

Coachman
01-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Nice work. Beautiful animal. Would look great on the wall.

Dusty Roads
01-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Great job!
best of luck on more :)

hunter1947
01-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Good on you for putting the lights out on this bitch ,,good luck getting the other two..

Doostien
01-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Nice work. Beautiful animal. Would look great on the wall.

He's getting made into a rug from what I understand. Some people in the family want it so who am I to tell them no. Only thing I care about is that he'll never kill again.

Didn't see any more sign today. Probably scared off the other two. The trapper came by and set traps for them, so hopefully next time they don't even get a chance.

twanger
01-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Maybe they will start chewing on Lebourdais cattle and leave yours alone...

Firstblood
01-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Wolves are all around Kamloops now, saw one big ol white one on greenstone in deer season and seen tracks all around the town while out snow shoeing this winter. I couldnt believe the wolf sign I was seeing in westsyde last fall too, couldnt go a hundred yards without seeing another pile full of deer hair and big chunks of bone. Good work on thumpin that one.

nerka992003
01-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Nice work! to bad we all couldn't get out for a few cracks at some of those nasty dogs.

Busterpayton54
01-28-2015, 08:12 PM
One more reason that my decision to relocate to kamloops is a good one. Hopefully within the next 2-3months.

Pete
01-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Did you have the dead yearling verified so you can get your compensation?

Doostien
01-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Did you have the dead yearling verified so you can get your compensation?

The CO's were out the same morning it got killed. I'm grateful for the compensation program, but I'd rather not have to take the MOE's money. It's less than market value of the animal, and the MOE is already short on funds. Plus it doesn't really deal with the problem. We need a wolf strategy for the whole province. While the Caribou are being hit the hardest, it won't be long until they wipe out what few moose remain and livestock producers.

twanger
02-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Doostien any luck on those other 2 wolves?

Doostien
02-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Doostien any luck on those other 2 wolves?

I found out late last week that someone whacked one about a mile away the day after I shot that black one. A smaller black female, at least thats what the trapper said. So likely there's only one left.

Nothing has come back since, no tracks, no shit, nothing. I think I'd be dreaming if I believed there weren't more than that though. Last summer a few guys had told me they'd seen very light gray pups further up the mountain. I'd really like to get the bitch, keep any more of the *******s from growing up on beef.

Dog_River
02-16-2015, 08:24 AM
I live up north of Valemount at the North end of the Canoe Valley where it connects to the Robson Valley. Wolves are taking horses and mules west of us, two confirmed cases. The deer and moose are very thin. I put my mules in every night now and it`s a lot of work but I don't want to loose them. I have not heard of any cattle predation but that doe not mean its not happening. I am sure it is. I heard there is a petition floating around for a cull in the area. I hear them out back very close to the house the other night.

Dog_River

Doostien
02-16-2015, 11:18 AM
I live up north of Valemount at the North end of the Canoe Valley where it connects to the Robson Valley. Wolves are taking horses and mules west of us, two confirmed cases. The deer and moose are very thin. I put my mules in every night now and it`s a lot of work but I don't want to loose them. I have not heard of any cattle predation but that doe not mean its not happening. I am sure it is. I heard there is a petition floating around for a cull in the area. I hear them out back very close to the house the other night.

Dog_River

Woah, were pretty opposite, I haven't heard of any horses even being bothered! The neighbour has about 12 and the wolves must have walked right through his place to kill that calf of mine. Maybe it depends on the pack, the one here knows they can kill cows so maybe they just stick to it.

We're the same with moose at least, I saw three dead calves last summer surrounded by wolf sign. Still quite a few deer, but that will probably change once the moose are gone.

Phreddy
02-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Congratulations on turning that wolf into a "good" wolf.