exterior of barrel
What kinds are there out there?
How much money to put on?
Will it cover stainless barrels?
Can you do it yourself?

thanks for the info :lol: :lol:

todbartell
03-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Teflon coating is pretty good, and can be done in different colors. It costs around $200

boxhitch
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Gunkote is another. It is essentially powder coating. Baked-on paint.

chola
03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Arma coat looks interesting...amy try it here one day

http://www.armacoat.net/

Schmaus
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.rockymountainrifles.com/custom_work.php

check out this site they are pretty good and reputable. I have a few buddies that have been happy with their finished product. Not bad for Dawson Creek

browningboy
03-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm getting mine powdercoated and can be done in any colour, teflon is okay but not as durable but blueing seems to last a long time, just depends on how you treat them I guess.

Hunterguy
03-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Had my rifle one season after getting it re-blued, left it in the gun boot one two many times hunting in Nov, barrell end didn't look that great. Decided on the Teflon and I am really happy with the end result, has been a few years and still looks great.

fozzy
03-30-2007, 12:02 AM
I have been using the Armacoat. We have painted 5 rifles so far. I just painted my stainless hunting rifle last night in flat black. It's very tough stuff. The rifle in my gallery is painted with it, that was the second one I painted :)

ruttinbuck
03-30-2007, 07:07 AM
I have been using duracoat it is a 2 part paint.Really tough stuff,easy to apply and so far wears really well.Basically same stuff as armacoat just alot more colors.RB

chola
03-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I have been using duracoat it is a 2 part paint.Really tough stuff,easy to apply and so far wears really well.Basically same stuff as armacoat just alot more colors.RB

Where did ya get RB.......is this the bake on stuff or ?????

butcher
03-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I nickeled mine. Action and barrel. Matte finish. $150

Tough as hell, makes the action very smooth. Why would you want to coat a stainless barrel?

youngfellla
03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I think the powder coating done by the fellows in Dawson Creek is one of the best coatings you can get.

browningboy
03-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I think the powder coating done by the fellows in Dawson Creek is one of the best coatings you can get.

I agree, thats what I'm presently getting and he had samples of every finish on pieces of metal, and told me to mark it up with a sharp object, the powdercoating stood up the best out of all bar none, but if you buy new, get stainless.8)

StoneChaser
03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Teflon is best reserved for frying pans. I've dealt with it on enough rifles to know that it will NOT last...it scratches/wears off farily easily!

Powdercoat is quite unsightly and is a thick coating (durable and protective, but looks like it was painted on).

Haven't dealt with the newer Gun Kote type coatings...hear great things about'em though.

Electroless Nickel is my favorite...nothing I've seen as tough, weather resistant, and downright easy on the eyes!

StoneChaser

ruttinbuck
03-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Where did ya get RB.......is this the bake on stuff or ?????
Black Cat Powdercoating in St.Albert Alta is the canadian distributor talk to Al if you call them great guy.There are some smaller guys around that sell duracoat as well.Elk Valley Precision and Cab in Sparwood are listed as a distributor down your way.
The paint I use is air dry but you can speed it up with heat,they also make a durabake paint as well.
Do a search for Laurey {sp?} Custom Weaponry,they are the main american site and list all the colors and all the specs on the paint.RB

boxhitch
04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Why would you want to coat a stainless barrel?
To kill the glare, would be my reason. Anything shiny gets attention in the wilds.