PDA

View Full Version : Muskwa/Tuchodi moose/elk combo hunt

pg83
01-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I'm in the very early stages of planning a hunt with Riverjet on either the Muskwa or Tuchodi rivers for a moose and/or elk hunt for 2016. Since I have not been in Northern BC since I was a kid I have limited knowledge myself. I'm hoping to get some info from people who have used Kevin's services before or who run either of the rivers themselves. Feel free to PM me if you are not comfortable posting on a thread. I am NOT looking for specific campsites or honey holes. Right now I am more interested in trying to time things properly. There will be 2-4 hunters in our group, we will be equipped with a wall tent for on the river, but would love to spike out from there either all together or in groups of two depending how many spend up going. We are all in our early 30s and in good shape. We all like hiking, having meat or antlers on the back just makes it better. I can't speak for my partners, but my focus will be on getting an elk with my bow. I will also have rifle and my partners may be bringing either or both weapons as well. My thoughts as of now are to go later in September to avoid the hot weather we have had earlier in season the last couple years. The drawback to going late is the water levels.

My basic questions to you are:

Which river would you go?
Which species would you focus on?
When would you go?

Anything else is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Rock Doctor
01-26-2015, 02:38 PM
That's pretty wide open.......
Both rivers are excellent for both Moose and Elk. Sometimes you can get lucky and drop one by the river, but you're more likely to see/get a good one if you are at least one hill back from the water.
The farther I get from the river, the more my focus shifts to Elk. For Moose........... Ya, if I can't hit it from the edge of the river, then it's too far to pack :-)
Late Sept to early Oct if you're looking to hear some Elk calling.

RD

albravo2
01-26-2015, 02:43 PM
I agree with RD on the timing. I've been up late August for the past two years and it has been too hot. You know its too hot if you are in lawnchair in a river at noon drinking beer to cool off.

That said, I go up early to avoid the crowds. I hear Tuchodi gets quite a few parties in there for the rut. Great country, you'll have fun!

pg83
01-26-2015, 02:51 PM
I was thinking 3rd week of September myself which seems to be in line with what you guys are saying. I'd like to have 10 days of hunting time minimum with a pick up as late as possible. From what I understand Kevin stops running after September(im out of the country currently and am awaiting email response from him). Are the moose starting up by then as well or are they typically in October? I'm only familiar with hunting either species in the southern part of the province. A far as location goes, is there an advantage for going past Gathto or Deaddog creeks for either species?

pg83
01-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Tried PMing you RD, but you are full.

Rock Doctor
01-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Tried PMing you RD, but you are full.

Fixed :-)
Headed out of the country for a while, might take a bit for me to get back to you.

RD

pg83
01-27-2015, 09:00 AM
No rush, 2016 is a long ways off still!

bob64
08-09-2015, 10:50 PM
I am coming up on sept 6 is ther any place were you can put a boat in above the can open looking for elk and moose boat 16 ft with a jet any information will be helpful thanks bob64

Jrax
08-10-2015, 01:08 PM
"Are the moose starting up by then as well or are they typically in October?"

I have run into aggressive moose up there around sept15th. I remember walking/crashing back to camp at dark and a moose smashing his way to me while grunting. My friend ran into him a day later with same results. It was hot midday and warm at night. We also called in a few moose just messing around while hunting elk two years in a row sept 15th to 20th. Of course, next year we decide to focus on moose and It was very tough to find them.

ratriver
08-15-2015, 10:59 AM
yes okay hunting good that time