PDA

View Full Version : Using Salt Ice

Phila
01-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi,
I’m new to the HBC forums and looking for some advice on using salt ice on longer fishing trips. I fish mostly in salt water for salmon on both sides of the Gulf with an annual trip to WCVI. I live in the LML. After my retirement in 2014 I got back into shooting and hunting after a long time away and started following HBC. I thought I would post my question here for your comments as HBC is a good source of information on hunting and fishing, and people are well informed and very willing to help others out.

First, the joke. :grin:

Two hunters in deer camp woke up in the middle of the night. “Look at the stars… what a splendor,” said one hunter. “Yeah but what do you think happened to our tent?” said the other.

Questions:
How many days can would you expect to maintain flesh quality and taste when using salt ice to store and transport fish?
Are there special packing techniques that you recommend like using cling wrap or vac packing?
Do you advise draining the water off, or not?
Are there any places to buy salt ice in the LML?
Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks I appreciate your comments

Fella
01-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Well this summer we loaded 2 coolers with salt ice for a 4 day trip to Port Renfrew. We left the coolers in the back of a truck with temps in the mid 20's, and by the time we got home the ice hadn't melted a terrible amount, it probably could have lasted another 3 or 4 days provided the coolers weren't constantly being opened and closed...

IronNoggin
01-25-2015, 01:04 PM
HiYa Phila - Commercial Troller and Fishing Guide here...

How many days can would you expect to maintain flesh quality and taste when using salt ice to store and transport fish?

If you have sufficient ice, fish can last up to around 6 days. Make certain you pack the bellies with ice, and layer the ice between the fish.

Are there special packing techniques that you recommend like using cling wrap or vac packing?

Never wrap fresh fish that are being held on salt ice with anything that won't let them "breath". Causes damn near instantaneous bacteria build-up. Only wrap them just prior to freezing to prevent freezer burn. Suggest vac packing for freezing - the product will last much longer.

Do you advise draining the water off, or not?

ALWAYS make sure any water is drained off as it forms. Nothing worse for fish (other than wrapping on ice) than to sit in a build-up of water, slime and perhaps a little blood mixed in.

Are there any places to buy salt ice in the LML?

Can't explicitly help on that aspect. Most fish plants / processors will carry and sell salt ice.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Look after your catch carefully, and you will have some Excellent grits on your hands when it comes to Chow Time. ;-)

Oh, and of course... Have FUN!! :smile:

Cheers,
Nog

Rhyno
01-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Not gonna receive much better advice that you just got from Nog

hoochie
01-25-2015, 02:30 PM
I have always found that if you bleed and gut a fish it will taste better than "bonking" and freezing with guts in.

boxhitch
01-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Never heard of it before so I went looking

Salt Flake Ice has been the preferred medium in the Commercial Fishing Industry for lowering the temperature of fish when it is initially caught. This is often done by loading the catch into slurry bins (combination of seawater and flake ice) at approximately 3 degrees C to quickly bring their temperature down. After a short period they are then transferred to 30kg capacity fish bins where they are layered with flake ice on the bottom, between layers and on top.
The flatness of flake ice offers a large surface area whereby rapid and efficient cooling of the product is enhanced.
This guarantees the freshness and natural appearance of the fish for up to a five day trip back to port and the markets.
Salt ice melts at a lower temp than conventional ice. Is it really worth the hassle ? Guys have used regular ice forever .

landphil
01-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Salt ice melts at a lower temp than conventional ice.

I do believe that's the whole idea, since it changes state at a colder temperature, it also keeps the fish colder. I would imagine that the salt helps to slow bacteria growth as well.

Phila
01-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated.

phil a

IronNoggin
01-25-2015, 05:58 PM
I do believe that's the whole idea, since it changes state at a colder temperature, it also keeps the fish colder. I would imagine that the salt helps to slow bacteria growth as well.

BINGO on Both Accounts. ;-)

There very much IS a Reason we trollers have been using the stuff basically forever.

Cheers,
Nog

Blair
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
You can easily keep fish on salt ice for 10 days or longer. Just make sure that it is completely surrounded and it they gut cavities filled with ice as well. A friend of mine was on commercial halibut boats in the Gulf of Alaska and he said they had fish on salt ice for up to 30 days and sold it as fresh fish. That seems a bit long to me but that's what he said. My experience is at least 10 days is just great.

tinhorse
01-25-2015, 08:34 PM
One other tip that I would suggest is having a separate cooler for salmon and one for halibut. Hali slime can ruin the taste of salmon quite fast. Other than that all the above is right on. I live in port Alberni and you can get it here at the packing plant by the fish docks.

landphil
01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
BINGO on Both Accounts. ;-)

There very much IS a Reason we trollers have been using the stuff basically forever.

Cheers,
Nog

To be honest, I'd never heard of using salt ice before this thread. I do know a few things about physics and latent heat, so it quickly made sense. I'm thinking it would be equally beneficial in a cooler full of food and beer when camping in the summer, might have to make some and try it.

dmace
01-25-2015, 09:31 PM
another good trick is to put your ice in a heavy duty garbage bag , you can then pull the whole works out and start layering ice and fish from the bottom up with minimal effort and time . Resulting in your cooler being closed quicker . As Nog said just make sure the bag stays well clear of the fish .

01-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Nog Nails it

Cover coolers well with sleeping bags or the like ..... drain constantly va voom 6 days with lots of ice is no problem

Blair
01-26-2015, 10:38 AM
To be honest, I'd never heard of using salt ice before this thread. I do know a few things about physics and latent heat, so it quickly made sense. I'm thinking it would be equally beneficial in a cooler full of food and beer when camping in the summer, might have to make some and try it.
Salt ice will freeze your delicate vegetables like lettuce, etc. Great for everything else. If you are making your own, and you know anything about physics, the more salt, the lower the freezing/melting temperature. This property can be used very effectively when it comes to freezing fish using a strong salt solution (eutectic ice) which will keep you freezer at a temperature below -20C while freezing and vastly accelerate the freezing process and enhance the quality of your frozen fish. Anyone who wants me to send them a pdf of a book chapter explaining this in detail - pm me with your email address and I will be glad to forward it to you. Anyone who freezes fish will thank me for this advice once they've used it.

Opinionated Ol Phart
01-26-2015, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine was on commercial halibut boats in the Gulf of Alaska and he said they had fish on salt ice for up to 30 days and sold it as fresh fish

And that is why I do not buy fish that i dont know where it came from or where it was caught........ 30 days is NOT fresh fish.

If the skipper plans on staying out that long , he better have a freezer boat.

landphil
01-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Salt ice will freeze your delicate vegetables like lettuce, etc. Great for everything else. If you are making your own, and you know anything about physics, the more salt, the lower the freezing/melting temperature. This property can be used very effectively when it comes to freezing fish using a strong salt solution (eutectic ice) which will keep you freezer at a temperature below -20C while freezing and vastly accelerate the freezing process and enhance the quality of your frozen fish. Anyone who wants me to send them a pdf of a book chapter explaining this in detail - pm me with your email address and I will be glad to forward it to you. Anyone who freezes fish will thank me for this advice once they've used it.

Good point about the lettuce, etc. That's not food, it's what food eats, right? :-P

PM sent, thanks for the offer.