PDA

View Full Version : Rapp found two terrace moose poached within 3 weeks

kilometers
01-25-2015, 10:59 AM
I have found 2 poached moose this season and I just want to encouge people to report these things. Not much a co can do but they like to keep it on records.
I reported both using the rapp bc website online, quick and easy to use.
The first moose I found well heading out snowmobiling I came around the first coroner and seen an eagle and some crows fly away, as I approached I could see a gutted moose carcass. It appeared to be a cow ditched on the side of the trail. This is the snowmobile clubs main family riding area. You could tell the moose had been hanging around their because of all the fresh tracks in the snow. This area is just outside the Nass closure area and is closed for all winter moose hunting ( due to low moose population)
then Yesterday I was on a dog walk on a fsr and my dog started rolling in something by the time I caught up I had one stinky dog and could see a visible skinned Hyde a seperated rib cage and two full leg bones. Their was no immediate moose tracks so it appears the moose was ditched by vehicle.
Please report these things it's sad to see an area that has a low moose population from over hunting continually have moose being poached. ( even the native Harvest in this area is on a draw system now) the moose if cows were probly pregnant so really two moose just died.
Please rapp it only takes a minute online or a quick phone call

firstshot
01-25-2015, 11:43 AM
It would be interesting to go for a ride down the road to the boat launch on the Beaver and see how many gut piles are laying around. Same problems every year. I would bet it's LEH only around there within the next 10 years .

sawmill
01-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Meh,natives.Can`t do anything about it.

firstshot
01-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Meh,natives.Can`t do anything about it.
Oh, shots fired haha ! But seriously disappointing that everyone around knows what goes on and not a lot of success catching anyone.

Quesnel Kid
01-26-2015, 06:18 PM
So frustrating. I cannot believe there are people out there who still think it is there "right" to kill an animal when ever they feel like. They are the same ppl who think the government is out to get them and the regs are stupid cuz there will always be moose. Everyone looses, and guess who complains the loudest when there are no moose left. I will certainly keep my eyes open and report what I see.

Drillbit
01-26-2015, 08:17 PM
So the first one was shot and gutted, then left there? Nothing missing?

Strange. Poachers must've been chased off, or were going to come back for it and never did, if the birds were already on it.

BEAVERBRUCE
01-26-2015, 08:34 PM
drive along dease lk and telegraph roads in the spring time if you want to see dead moose remains.

Doostien
01-26-2015, 09:26 PM
I've called twice in the last few weeks because someone has been shooting deer, driving over to look at them and then leaving without taking anything. Guess they weren't big enough for them.

Avalanche123
01-27-2015, 09:49 PM
What BeaverBruce said x 2. I was on that road last week and saw a lot of live moose....now that they are done with the caribou, the moose are next.

kilometers
02-28-2015, 02:24 PM
http://cfnrfm.ca/moose-poached-near-terrace-cos-ask-help/

Moose poached near Terrace, CO’s ask for help

Posted by: Bill Fee (http://cfnrfm.ca/author/bfee/)February 23, 2015 in News (http://cfnrfm.ca/category/news/)Leave a comment (http://cfnrfm.ca/moose-poached-near-terrace-cos-ask-help/#respond)

The BC Conservation Officer Service is asking for assistance after a poaching incident near Terrace.
Officers say an adult cow moose was shot at the 30 kilometre mark of the Copper River Forest Service Road Saturday.
C-O Ryan Gordon says the moose was dragged about 15 kilometres down the road where it was found headless and with a small amount of meat harvested.
Hunting for moose is currently closed.
Anyone with information should contact the RAPP line at 1-877-952-7277 (tel:1-877-952-7277).

LongTines_TightLines
02-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Sickening! This is one of my biggest pet peeves!

Sofa King
02-28-2015, 04:53 PM
I would prefer that the CO's would actually take the time to follow up on reports or calls.
what if I'm actually in the process of witnessing something?
it would be nice to know that a phone call would result in some immediate action, and not a "file it and we'll maybe get to it".
I've experienced them actually completely ignore serious infractions, yet harass me at home for legally getting my deer.

in just one season, I found 4 illegally taken moose in a very small area.
it's definitely a serious problem in region 3 and 8.
it was refreshing to see they caught a guy a few years ago that had killed one, covered/hid it with branches and came back later to retrieve it, but they were waiting for him.

40incher
02-28-2015, 08:31 PM
The Nass Valley moose are doomed to never recover, even with licensed hunting closed for good.

I predict the next aerial count to expose this predictable situation ... but it will be to no avail! The Wildlife Branch knows what the issue is exactly ... but they sit on their hands with duct tape over their yaps, as do the CO's. Shame on you all!!