PDA

View Full Version : Whaddya'll think about having to pack bear meat out?

Gamebuster
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Just wonderin what everyones thought on this is as I heard MoE was entertaining the idea of going back to the way it was to increase the number og bear hunters...

Gus
03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
As far as I know black bear is the only fur bearing animal in B.C that you have to remove the meat for. I think if you want to eat it, pack the meat out. If you just want the hide like you would off anything else, just take the hide. My humble opinion, feel free to tie into me if you like, I know its probably comming.

Gateholio
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
The requirement to retain bear meat in BC was done for political reasons, to make bear hunting more 'palatable' to anti bear hunter types.

I can't say if that is a good or a bad thing, although I am generally against any decision made for "political correctness."

boxhitch
03-29-2007, 01:58 PM
And, to ohters, a B Bear is a meaty critter that happens to be furry.
So I say Take the edible portions out of the bush, then what you do with it is your business.
Blood shot meat is not considered edible ;)

Bigbear
03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
I think At least the Hind Quarters any way . Besides they Make Mighty tasty Hams off of them.:)

fireonethree
03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Can someone clarify the bear issue for me?

I have always packed out the whole animal, but can you debone it in the field, and leave the carcass? This might be an obvious answer, but I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remember the reg's.

Thanks,

-FOT-

Fisher-Dude
03-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Blood shot meat is not considered edible ;)

Hellloooo, why do you think all the guys on here hunt black bears with Nosler Partitions? :lol:

Steeleco
03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Can someone clarify the bear issue for me?

I have always packed out the whole animal, but can you debone it in the field, and leave the carcass? This might be an obvious answer, but I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remember the reg's.

Thanks,

-FOT-

You can debone your meet if you need to.

As far as packing bear meat. I think you should pack as much as you can, and if the gov't changes it back to allowing hides only, then they should create a way of donating the meat to a food bank of something. for some of us the meat is very palatable, it would be a waste to not consume some of it's flesh. IMHO

Will
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Classing Black Bears as a "Game Animal" and not a Fur bearing animal was a move in the wrong direction.

I could see it if they were endangered or ??? But as suggested it was a way to make Killing them more Politically Correct...of course Grizz and Cats are still Fur bearers.....so what did it accomplish :roll:

Without a doubt alot more Hunters would again take up Bear Hunting if the "meat law" was scrapped IMO.

I'd go back to taking 2 a year for the Fur :twisted:

Kirby
03-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Get a trappers license, I don't think trappers need to take the meat. Maybe a trapper can fill us in?

Kirby

Rainwater
03-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Kill and Grill!

Brambles
03-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Unless its a konger I try not to shoot them too far off the road and preferrably on the high side of the road, just because they are so pentiful and to me they arn't worth too much effort IMO. That means no backpack bear hunts for me anytime soon.

I take out the whole animal because I'm usually just shooting a medium sized bear for pepperoni and sausage.

trapperdan2061
03-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Any one on the South Island that doesn't want the meat let me know I'll take it.

Dan

Will
03-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Get a trappers license, I don't think trappers need to take the meat. Maybe a trapper can fill us in?
Why just Black Bears though ?
Not Grizzly, Cougars, Wolves, etc. etc.
Just doesn't make sense ? Other then it was done for "political reasons":|

boxhitch
03-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Will - IMO most people don't consider G bear to be edible, and I suppose felines and canines fall into that reasoning too. Well, N. American folk, at least. Some people will eat anything though.

Will
03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Will - IMO most people don't consider G bear to be edible, and I suppose felines and canines fall into that reasoning too. Well, N. American folk, at least. Some people will eat anything though.
I agree but "Most people" cringe at the thought of Eating Bear meat period.......black or otherwise :lol:

boxhitch
03-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Kirby - A trapper

boxhitch
03-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Kirby - A trapper has to remove edible portions af B Bear also.

dana
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I would like to see the limit increased to 5 like it was years ago. I would also like to see the requirement to pack out the meat be dropped from the regs.

ursus
03-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Go figure a Cougar is fine table fair, and you do not have take all edible portions. Black bears are for the most part less than adequate table fair, and you are required to remove all edible portions. It doesn't make sense to me!
I agree with Dana, the limit should be 5!

todbartell
03-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Id say remove the mandatory meat requirment, there'd be alot more bear hunters in BC

Husky7mm
03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Every black beat Iv shot tasted just fine. Peoples attitude about eating bears made them less paletable to me. They also smell just like a dog wet or dry, and a big fat fall bear is just to greasy.For these reasons I will only shoot it now if its huge.

Will
03-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I would like to see the limit increased to 5 like it was years ago. I would also like to see the requirement to pack out the meat be dropped from the regs.
Now you're Talking ! http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/Smilies/rockOn.gif

Tinney
03-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeow dana thats a hell of a jump. Maybe start by removing the current reg on removing edible portions, see how many bear hunters you recruit, then if it's not enough, increase the quota. Let's not go hells bells throttle wide open just yet.

And the rules are they way they are just as Gatehouse said. "Political reasons" is exactly what the ministry is reported to have said about this issue.

moosinaround
03-29-2007, 10:26 PM
If you kill it you eat it. Take out the regs. on packin out the meat, and black bears will just become target practice. That is not fair to any living creature.

Tinney
03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
If you kill it you eat it. Take out the regs. on packin out the meat, and black bears will just become target practice. That is not fair to any living creature.

He makes a good point. There's so many up here that it's getting to that point already.....

Kirby
03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Kirby - A trapper has to remove edible portions af B Bear also.

hmm ok, then just shoot the bear through every quarter with a big gun, blood shot meat ain't edible.

Kirby

Tinney
03-29-2007, 11:01 PM
hmm ok, then just shoot the bear through every quarter with a big gun, blood shot meat ain't edible.

Kirby

Because that sure is ethical.....

bigwhiteys
03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Yep, I am all for dropping the meat requirement on Black Bears.

Any one on the South Island that doesn't want the meat let me know I'll take it. Dan

Where abouts do you live Dan, I'll deliver my bear meat right to your door!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Kirby
03-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Because that sure is ethical.....

Ethics are a personal dilemma:wink: ... Laws aren't:smile: . Didn't say I would do it. Personally I'm for eating what you shoot(usually) but should they change the laws I would agree with it.

Kirby

Tinney
03-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Ethics are a personal dilemma:wink: ... Laws aren't:smile: . Didn't say I would do it. Personally I'm for eating what you shoot(usually) but should they change the laws I would agree with it.

Kirby

I'd like to see you try and tell a CO why there's a hole in each quarter and powder burns :roll: Bet you don't get very far.

Pretty easy to tell the hillbillies that shoot out road signs from the averages joes isn't it folks!!! What a place, this HuntingBC. Holy cow

Gateholio
03-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Frankly, as dana suggested, I could see an increased bag limit coming to pass lomg before a "no meat recovery" rule.

I'd actually prefer the increased bag limit fo a few reasons:

1) It would increase bear harvest (a good thing, as thier populations are high)

2) It woudl increase participation by those that like to hunt bears (I love it- what else do ou do in the spring? Go fishing- GAG)

3) It woudl make hunter selection easier-Lots of guys like to shoot smaller bears for meat, but don't want to use up thier second ag in case they see a bruiser in the spring or fall, or run inot a *problem* bear in the fall, so they dont' have to explain to a CO why they shot a black bear that kept raiding their camp/cabin/treefort et

I love hunting bears in the spring, bu usually only take one, in case of somethign in the fall.I'd say that most "2nd" bear tags get unused..if the bag limit was increased to 3 or even 5, the guys that love bear huting would make up for the guys that don't want to keep the meat.

The truth is, the "meat retention" regs are political, but the reality is that it is far easier to expalin to the general public (who quite honestly - and I shit you not- beliee that black bears in BC are "endangered" and grizzlies are "almost extinct")

Thanks to Suzuki and his ilk for those catch phrases.....

Kirby
03-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I'd like to see you try and tell a CO why there's a hole in each quarter and powder burns :roll: Bet you don't get very far.

Pretty easy to tell the hillbillies that shoot out road signs from the averages joes isn't it folks!!! What a place, this HuntingBC. Holy cow

LMAO... here is a thought maybe(just maybe) I was being SARCASTIC:lol:... next time you see some arrow holes in a sign give me a call might have been me:wink:.

Kirby

hunter1947
03-30-2007, 04:01 AM
Never have ,never will :roll: hunter 1947.

Elkhound
03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Frankly, as dana suggested, I could see an increased bag limit coming to pass lomg before a "no meat recovery" rule.

I'd actually prefer the increased bag limit fo a few reasons:

1) It would increase bear harvest (a good thing, as thier populations are high)

2) It woudl increase participation by those that like to hunt bears (I love it- what else do ou do in the spring? Go fishing- GAG)

3) It woudl make hunter selection easier-Lots of guys like to shoot smaller bears for meat, but don't want to use up thier second ag in case they see a bruiser in the spring or fall, or run inot a *problem* bear in the fall, so they dont' have to explain to a CO why they shot a black bear that kept raiding their camp/cabin/treefort et

I love hunting bears in the spring, bu usually only take one, in case of somethign in the fall.I'd say that most "2nd" bear tags get unused..if the bag limit was increased to 3 or even 5, the guys that love bear huting would make up for the guys that don't want to keep the meat.

The truth is, the "meat retention" regs are political, but the reality is that it is far easier to expalin to the general public (who quite honestly - and I shit you not- beliee that black bears in BC are "endangered" and grizzlies are "almost extinct")

Thanks to Suzuki and his ilk for those catch phrases.....

I cannot argue even one point. Except I don't mind fishing:lol: But I prefer hunting bears8)

Pete
03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Packing out the meat of the 4 quarters and the loin was an answer to combat the amount of Poaching for bear parts. Back in the late 80's in one season of guiding we found 6 bear carcasses and all that was removed were the Gall Bladder, Paws and in 2 of the larger Bears their penis bones. These were all good spring Bears.

steel_ram
03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Now . . . the opposite, you can not be in possession of the gall's or genitalia. The reg. was more to appease the "Bear Watch" anti hunting groups that would make a big deal of a skinned out carcass if they found it.

I think we should make an effort to recover anything we kill, but if when you split it open and there is more than you bargained for it should be up to the individual to decide.

RiverOtter
03-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Another deterant to hunting black bears, besides those listed above, is the price of a black bear tag. What was wrong with $8 for a stinkin' bear? $21.40 is ridiculous, considering it is nearly the same price as an elk/moose tag.

I doubt the meat requirement will change anytime soon, if ever, but I would like to see a change to the current bag limit. I see more and more bears every spring and rarely run into another bear hunter.

RO

Will
03-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Well we don't have to eat Grizz, cougar, wolf, etc. etc. etc. Yet they don't seem to be endangered from "target practise" :|

Nobodies asking for anything "special" just remove the added "meat" requirements and folks will again make use of more Bears for thier Fur.......as always:)

It's got nothing to do with ethics either folks.......
If it did we'd all be eating Coyotes ! :lol: :lol:

houndogger
03-31-2007, 08:29 PM
O.K. if the bag limit was increased to 5. No meat requirment. What would everyone do with all those hides? Is there a market for them?

Will
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Maybe Buckingham would buy up any unused Black bear Bear pelts :|
http://images.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/corbis/DGT256/DEU0005.jpg

dana
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
There is a market for hides, but only big hides, 6 foot+.
The limit was 5 when I was a kid in the 80's. I don't remember why or even when the limit was dropped down to 2. All I know is I sure see a lot more bears now than I used to see back in the 80's. Consider how many bears are killed every year by CO's in neighborhoods. A couple years ago it was over 100 in Kamloops alone. Do you think that the CO's save the meat??? I think if you increased the baglimit you would probably see way less problem bears in town.

Elkhound
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Maybe Buckingham would buy up any unused Black bear Bear pelts :|
http://images.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/corbis/DGT256/DEU0005.jpg

beat me to it:lol:

steel_ram
04-01-2007, 09:13 AM
"The standard bearskin of the British Foot Guards is 18 inches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch) tall, weighs one and a half pounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_%28mass%29) and is made from the fur of the Canadian black bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Black_Bear). The British Army purchase the hats, which are known as caps, from a British hat maker, which sources its pelts from an international auction. The hatmakers purchase roughly 100 pelts each year at a cost of around £650 each. Proper maintenance of the caps allows them to last for decades. Some bearskin caps in use are more than 100 years old. In recent times, attempts have been made to produce a version with synthetic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_fiber) fur, with little success due to the effects of the weather and static electricity. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_the_Ethical_Treatment_of_Animals) has protested the continued use of real fur."

I'd gladly donate bear hides to the crown.:) Better off using natural hide than some o-zone poluting synthetic material.