PDA

View Full Version : Cowichan Bay signage

mad_mallard
01-23-2015, 09:46 PM
So having not taken the time to go for a "stroll" down to the bay recently. I decided to take a tour. A couple of changes caught my eye!
Not having been a bay "regular" for the past while. I was wondering if someone may know the answer to this question.

At both the turnaround on westcan Rd and the gate at the Blackley parking area. There used to be large signs saying "this is a hunting area" ,"you are here" Yada,yada etc.

Now there are two square tubing sign posts, that are lacking signs. Right next to these bare posts there are these pleasant looking barn shaped sign boards. On which are mounted quite pretty conservation type wildlife notices.

I could be wrong, but weren't the original "hunting area" signs placed by M.O.E ?

And also wondering if anyone has read both plaques mounted on the concrete cairns down there.
You know the other nice "signs" saying how -

"A conservation project within the cowichan estuary undertaken for the perpetuation of North americas waterfowl resources completed in 1990 /1986 respectively by Ducks unlimited Canada in co-operation with the province of B.C and the nature trust B.C"

ya,like I said.
Just you know ,Kinda curious?

Ron.C
02-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Yes, the origional signs were M.O.E. signs. All the MOE public hunting area signs were removed last year, and all within a week. They were first vandalized, then removed. I called and reported it but nothing was done. As it's still leagl to hunt most of the bay for ducks/geese and the ex Dinsdale property for Geese, I'm surprised the signs displaying the open hunting areas have not been replaced. But the new signs put up by North cowichan are clear on where you can't hunt, based on local bylaws of course.

shotgunjohn
02-04-2015, 09:11 AM
I feel it is important that we get new signs up. We need to contact M.O.E. and find out what the story is and get B.C.W.F. involved if need be.

HuntNHookSports
02-06-2015, 06:27 AM
We should have the bylaw repealed before putting up new signs. Chemanius estuary is next. It is all no hunting according to their enforce at will bylaw.