PDA

View Full Version : Pal

TGofers
01-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Hate for this to be my first post aside from trying to sell something but just getting sick and tired of the standard BS I am getting fed in regards to my PAL status. Going on 60 days!! Killing me! No problem for them to run my credit card 51 days ago and no prob for the Govy to make me pay for the two courses!
Just keep calling, really busy time of the year for us, plus there was Christmas she says! Christmas was a MONTH Ago!!
I followed all the helpful insights on the forum to ensure a speedy process. Anyone got anything outside the box that may help? I have both my references on standby if they ever get to that point.

Daybreak
01-23-2015, 09:47 PM
60 days is nothing to get excited about. People have waited 2 and 3 times that long. Best advise I could offer you is just be patient. The more noise you make the more likely they might get annoyed and then you might have real problems. In the big picture what's a month or two?

Ferenc
01-23-2015, 10:11 PM
Do you have a reference number... If not ask for one... Give it to your references... Get them to call in

TGofers
01-23-2015, 10:34 PM
60 days is nothing to get excited about. People have waited 2 and 3 times that long. Best advise I could offer you is just be patient. The more noise you make the more likely they might get annoyed and then you might have real problems. In the big picture what's a month or two?
I have been worried about that so been extra fake when talking to them. Mentioned hated calling in every week but that is what you keep telling me to do. Check in every couple weeks. I will take a deep breath and wait.

ajr5406
01-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Yep... Submitted mine in September, credit card was hit in October, then nothing until a couple of days before Christmas!

oh well, just keep calling I guess and ask to be out through to the BC office.

russm
01-24-2015, 02:17 PM
60 days is nothing, a buddy of mine waited a little over a year and I think mine was 4-5 months.

kodimack
01-24-2015, 03:48 PM
My RPAL took 53 days to get in my hands, it would have come sooner but my reference didn't answer his phone . Once I found this out and had him phone 8 days later I had it in my hand:cool:

plumbcrazy
01-24-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong? 8 day wait was just about right for me!

ajr5406
01-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Maybe you paid $600 accidentally instead of $60...? :-) That would get things moving quickly!

I'm not sure what you guys are doing wrong? 8 day wait was just about right for me!

Tomanik2700
01-25-2015, 05:27 PM
I was supposed to have mine in July, didn't get it until a week ago. I'd hunker down, could be awhile! Just be patient, or find friends with a license to go shooting with!

TPK
01-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Unless you have a jaded past or previous firearms prohibition .. it was YOUR choice to take the courses VS challenging the courses. The Gov does not "make" people take the course unless they have reason too .. may not be a great reason but they do need a "reason" to make you take the course, otherwise you could have challenged the tests.

The money paid for a course goes to the instructor, not the Gov, so it isn't "the Gov" taking the money for your courses. Splitting hairs I know, you're still out the money regardless of who it was paid to. I understand your frustration but take a breath and relax. If you think waiting for your PAL is hard.... wait until you order a firearm !! now that is a long wait ... no mater how fast it comes. lol

clte
01-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Mine took about 100 days or so.

stevo911_
01-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Do you have a reference number... If not ask for one... Give it to your references... Get them to call in

^This.
If they call your references, and your references don't answer, your application goes to the bottom of the pile. When it gets back to the top again, if your references don't answer, guess where your application goes? The bottom of the pile! Rinse, lather, repeat.

The easier you make it for them to do their job, the faster and more painless the process is.
I called in while my references were with me, so I could hand the phone off to each of them (and avoid them waiting on hold) . Mine took about 30 days at this time of year last year (for my non restriced and restricted).
Ditto for my short term att and long term att's, and transfers all were done within 5 minutes of my calling in.

bassplayer
01-27-2015, 11:54 AM
You also need to remember that you probably aren't the only person that has an application waiting approval. We are talking all of Canada that the C.F.A. is dealing with right now. Everyday, people are passing the firearms course and submitting their paperwork to receive a P.A.L. 60 days? I wouldn't worry about it too much. They probably are a little more swamped with applications than the usual.

Alec
01-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Tgophers It is obvious to me, teaching and examining the courses for 0ver 20 years, that you are after an RPAL. All references MUST be contacted by CFC to get a verification and bit of history about you. Also there is a more thorough check into your past, and sometimes even your family's past. All this takes time.
TPK You are correct re the 'didn't have to do the courses', but when the new SENCIBLE FIREAEMS ACT comes into effect the CHALLENGE option will be removed and everyone MUST sit through a minimum of 8 hours of lesson time prior to doing the 2 part examination. This will apply even if you already know more than some of the instructors.

TPK
01-28-2015, 04:54 PM
... TPK You are correct re the 'didn't have to do the courses', but when the new SENCIBLE FIREAEMS ACT comes into effect the CHALLENGE option will be removed and everyone MUST sit through a minimum of 8 hours of lesson time prior to doing the 2 part examination. This will apply even if you already know more than some of the instructors.

... or if you challenge the tests before the change is in effect and fail, you will have to do the course.

TGofers
01-31-2015, 12:17 AM
My pal has been approved!! 2 weeks or sooner till I get it!