PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on indian reservation land

Wayne
01-23-2015, 12:19 PM
It may be a dumb guestion, but I have never hunted on indian land and in general have always stayed away from the reservations. So I never needed to know if I as a non-indian can hunt on reservation land.

Now I was researching a new area and found that it is inside an indian reserve, so I went to google if I can hunt there and I cannot find any information. I assume that since it is regulated in the synopsis it is just like crown land, but thought I should ask here.

goatdancer
01-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Reserves are considered private property so you would need to get permission from the band.

olympia
01-23-2015, 12:43 PM
call the band bud

adriaticum
01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Go to the band office and talk to them.

srupp
01-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Lmao..good luck..
Aint going to happen...
Steven

Edzzed
01-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Lmao..good luck..
Aint going to happen...
Steven
It might if he gave them a one million dollar donation or more.

nicktrehearne
01-23-2015, 03:11 PM
I would not hold my breath...

Wayne
01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Oh my, I knew it won't be easy, but had no idea the reserves are considered private land... How come there is a forest service road in a reserve then... I thought I am good if a see an FSR sigh...

Bugle M In
01-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Remember Little Bighorn!!!???

Pioneerman
01-23-2015, 03:35 PM
The road would be crossing or for timber sales. There are many FSR on private land and I assume they pay for passage through private lands. If the reserves were not land owned by the natives , why would they then be reserves? You could just wait a few years until everything is given to them, then you do not have to wonder who's land it is. ;-)

papaken
01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes it is considered the same as private land. You do need permission. Info is in the regs Page 12 top right corner. I have permission to hunt on some First Nations Lands and know that a number of other non-natives have received permission when they checked with band offices. I think the only ones that need the million dollar donations would be ones that come off as redneck racists. Even then a mil might not be enough. The OP asked a legitimate questions as the regs only have as small 5 line bit in it that could easily be missed. Can never understand why when ever the words first nation, indian, or native are brought up, the thread ends up with so much negativity. A large portion of the natives I know are no different than the non-natives I know. Some are great, some are good, some are just ok and some are just plain nobs. If you wish to hunt on Reservation Land go to the Band office and request permission, you never know they might just say yes.

papaken
01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Oh my, I knew it won't be easy, but had no idea the reserves are considered private land... How come there is a forest service road in a reserve then... I thought I am good if a see an FSR sigh...
All sorts of roads run through reserves and private land. Even though it is a public road the land isn't. It is even worse when places like Douglas Lake Ranch gate and lock FSR that go through their land to areas that are not theirs but you can't access.

adriaticum
01-23-2015, 03:57 PM
and get it in writing.

Wayne
01-23-2015, 03:58 PM
I think I solved this specific mystery... bad topo map. When I looked an online map, the reserve is much smaller than I thought.

DMD
01-23-2015, 04:14 PM
http://clss.nrcan.gc.ca/googledata-donneesgoogle-eng.php

Here is a helpful google earth layer showing the Reserves from NRCan. I have noticed that some of the reserves are plotted a little bit out. Not all of the reserve boundaries have been properly georeferenced, but they should be pretty close.

Ferenc
01-23-2015, 04:45 PM
and get it in writing.

And don't take anything of value when hunting in those sort of areas

markomoose
01-23-2015, 06:05 PM
I hunt on indian land every spring and fall.No problems yet.

walks with deer
01-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Papaken explained it perfect.
I hunt on native land with permission no problem.
I also hunt with some status men that are great hunters and follow biologist recommendations.
And I tag mine as they are.
I also have called native friends to help me recover animals in rainstorms in the dark.
Same as you and I it's the individual action.

srupp
01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Hmmm politely phoned the indian nation by Terrace..pretty abusive reply...
Big diff with native friends, buddies..

He who walks with limp in both legs.....native name

walks with deer
01-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Agreed that it depends on band.

Srupp being from williams lake I can understand your view.

I have hunted on reserves were I knew nobody noproblem

That said I have run into real trouble with certain groups.

Ferenc
01-23-2015, 08:20 PM
North end of Williston lake comes to mind

Cordillera
01-23-2015, 09:51 PM
A lot of forest service roads that cross reserves have an easement that is actually provincial crown land. Was negotiated and acquired. Same as highways.

Some don't.....

tripleseven
01-23-2015, 10:59 PM
This brings up a situation we ran into recently, and I'm curious as to all your thoughts on it. A band leases land to a farmer on a 12 month lease. We have permission from the farmer who leases the land...it seems to me in this case we should be ok to hunt it without also getting permission from the band.

Ranger95
01-24-2015, 12:15 AM
All you had to do was ask???

yup - all you need to do is ask!

Funny that - eh?

SHACK
01-24-2015, 07:17 AM
if I'm not mistaken the law is writen so that the lease holder has the right to give permission unless it was written otherwise in the lease.

WesternBirds
01-24-2015, 11:25 AM
There's a big difference between a person leasing land for farming and also having permission to hunt it, all depends on the agreement between the farmer and the owner. Many land owners, especially on VI want nothing to do with hunting on their land, let alone the issue of non natives accessing Res land. Each property and agreement is different.

argyle1
01-24-2015, 05:00 PM
I don't know your experiences Ferenc, but I have been on 2 two wk hunts north of Williston, and was treated very well by the natives. Both times we went into the band office at Tsay Key and discussed what we had in mind, and told them where we planned to hunt. Both times they thanked us for dropping in, told us that they would keep an eye on our vehicles, and if we were late coming out they would look for us. I have to say that I agree with Papaken on people's character.

Ranger95
01-24-2015, 05:57 PM
I don't know your experiences Ferenc, but I have been on 2 two wk hunts north of Williston, and was treated very well by the natives. Both times we went into the band office at Tsay Key and discussed what we had in mind, and told them where we planned to hunt. Both times they thanked us for dropping in, told us that they would keep an eye on our vehicles, and if we were late coming out they would look for us. I have to say that I agree with Papaken on people's character.

yep - that's been my experiance with the First Nation people who's land I have hunted on, if you give the respect to them that they deserve, the respond in kind!

I have never had an issue with my truck or my camp, when camping and hunting on the reservations - can't say the same about other places I have camped though!

olympia
01-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Yes it is considered the same as private land. You do need permission. Info is in the regs Page 12 top right corner. I have permission to hunt on some First Nations Lands and know that a number of other non-natives have received permission when they checked with band offices. I think the only ones that need the million dollar donations would be ones that come off as redneck racists. Even then a mil might not be enough. The OP asked a legitimate questions as the regs only have as small 5 line bit in it that could easily be missed. Can never understand why when ever the words first nation, indian, or native are brought up, the thread ends up with so much negativity. A large portion of the natives I know are no different than the non-natives I know. Some are great, some are good, some are just ok and some are just plain nobs. If you wish to hunt on Reservation Land go to the Band office and request permission, you never know they might just say yes.

Good post...ur right..
Its funny how a legit question pops withe word u mentioned and all these irrelevant answers pop up. He asked who to talk to to hunt on reserve land, he didn't ask for advice or opinions if he will get permission

Sniperdan
01-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Page 12 of the Hunting regs, first paragraph at the top left:

indian Reserves

4Indian Reserves are private land. Permission must be obtained from the local Indian business office in order to hunt on or across these lands.

tripleseven
01-24-2015, 10:10 PM
There's a big difference between a person leasing land for farming and also having permission to hunt it, all depends on the agreement between the farmer and the owner. Many land owners, especially on VI want nothing to do with hunting on their land, let alone the issue of non natives accessing Res land. Each property and agreement is different.

My feeling is that if I rent a house, I have permission on who comes and goes, not the landlord. How do you think it's different if it's leased land? It seems to me the farmer, who has stewardship of the land and has gone to all the effort to maintain the field to ensure it is productive for next season would want say in who goes on it during his lease period. I suppose I'll check into whether there are any caveats on the lease.

argyle1
01-25-2015, 03:23 PM
My feeling is that if I rent a house, I have permission on who comes and goes, not the landlord. How do you think it's different if it's leased land? It seems to me the farmer, who has stewardship of the land and has gone to all the effort to maintain the field to ensure it is productive for next season would want say in who goes on it during his lease period. I suppose I'll check into whether there are any caveats on the lease.

If you lease land to farm it you can't log it. I doubt you could hunt it either if it's leased to farm, or graze cattle

Ramshot
01-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Lmao..good luck..
Aint going to happen...
Steven

Haters will keep hating! Our band (KIB) has hosted four LEH tag south Thompson sheep tag holders with permission letters to hunt on our reserve and private ranch where the resident tag holders harvested BC book California bighorn Rams. We even let resident hunters use log hunting cabin on band ranch and a use of a corral for their horses! Dead dog and Houndsmen from this site can attest to that. Not all that negative on reserves. Private land owners both non native and native can vary on opinions for letting hunting opportunities on "Their" land as their experiences dictate.