PDA

View Full Version : 13 arrested Douglas lake tresspassing

srupp
01-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Hmmmm kudus to the 13 individuals arrested for trespassing on douglas lake property....the one guy was a life long surveyor who claims there is a road that is on right of way to a public boat launch at Corbett lake.also mentioned was why does a private lake get provincial fish stocked by the taxpayer...
It was a planned event to get arrested to bring it to the courts

Will be watching this unfold..may need to go fish corbett..
Srupp

Big Lew
01-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Yup, regardless to which way the courts rule, if I win the lotto I'm hiring a copter with pontoons
to fly in as many fisherpersons with little boats as possible to fish amongst their privileged clients.

r106
01-21-2015, 08:07 PM
Saw that on the news. Definitely made Douglas lake look bad. IMHO X2 on the kudos to the guys/gals that stood up

srupp
01-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Hmmm maybe Brian Chan could explain why a multi billionair needs government stocked fish and then excludes the very same taxpayers who pai for the fish.I believe its several hundred dollarsca day to fish corbett?
The guy who claimed to be a lifelong surveyor was adamant there was historical crown right of way to public boat launch on corbett..he is whats called a expert witness and carries extreme credibility...I think he may be the old proverbial ace in the hole...
Hmmmm looks like there could be a fishing get together at corbett...rub elbows with the rich elite fisher persons...lol
Srupp

srupp
01-21-2015, 08:22 PM
There must be a list of lakes stocked by the government..should be able to determain how many...if any of the 30 lakes on the ranch are taxpayer funded stocking programs?
Srupp

Ozone
01-21-2015, 08:25 PM
http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-stocking-reports.aspx

Daybreak
01-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks Ozone! That's interesting to see.

adriaticum
01-21-2015, 08:32 PM
It says on their website that it has been stocked by the lodge for 20 years

srupp
01-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Hmm on the computer it says ....since the change and the lake is now private....hmmm so when and WHO changed it? It goes on to say about corbett they stock the lake themselves and freshwater fishing doesnt include corbett under stocked lakes...
Steven

Tīɡ
01-21-2015, 09:09 PM
The policies and practices of DLR are absolutely atrocious. They use there money and power to manipulate whoever they want to get what they want...its a total joke. If you look on the land ownership on google earth it shows that there is a huge chunk of crown land in the middle of their private land that they've cut off to public. Good on these people for standing up to them!

REMINGTON JIM
01-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Good the Trespassers and i'm all in for a fishing trip to Corbett lake with you Stevie ! :wink: RJ

adriaticum
01-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Hmm on the computer it says ....since the change and the lake is now private....hmmm so when and WHO changed it? It goes on to say about corbett they stock the lake themselves and freshwater fishing doesnt include corbett under stocked lakes...
Steven

FFS are not stocking Corbett, Minnie, Stoney lakes.
I can't find anything since 2010.
Who changed the lake to private is a whole different matter.
I asked Douglas Lake to let me hunt geese on their property and they said no.

srupp
01-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Good the Trespassers and i'm all in for a fishing trip to Corbett lake with you Stevie ! :wink: RJ
J
Hmmm sounds like a plan...stopped 3 years ago and there were 4 boats on the lake...maybe 9am..all 4 boats were hooked up to fish at the time I was looking..not sure I was lucky on the timing? Or the lake was that productive?
Cheers Jim
Steven

Big Lew
01-21-2015, 10:38 PM
A few years ago one of those 2 lakes were poisoned off and then re-stocked.
I can't remember if it was Corbett....but I'm suspicious about the timing when
it became private and stocked by DLR.

srupp
01-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Hmmm good point Big Lew..read about that tonite...a couple lakes were treated..hmmmm
Steven

Big Lew
01-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Well, I admit that I'm not fully aware of the various situations surrounding DLR, but the
Corbett Lake concern is troubling to me. Just who's interest is our government catering to?
Historically, whenever a road or highway is improved or re-aligned, insuring prior access
is accommodated even if it costs quite a bit or the new access needs to be re-located.
Why wasn't this done for Corbett? It was stated that Corbett was infested with alien species
so needed to be sterilized and re-stocked....who did it, our fisheries, or DLR because our
government said they could have the lake? Maybe these questions and insinuations are
off base, but they are my personal concerns and worries, and not those of this website.

itsy bitsy xj
01-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Is there a defence fund set up so we can contribute to help these people out?

Red_Mist
01-22-2015, 10:07 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think there are any "private lakes" in BC. The land surrounding them can be private making access difficulty or virtually impossible as is the case say with these small fly fish only lakes. The lakes being public allows the government to regulate said lake or stock should they choose and as has been mentioned on their website Corbett states they do their own stocking. These laws regarding access don't make much sense but you don't have to look too far whether it's wildlife or firearms with common sense being removed from a lot of these regulations or laws. Will be interesting to follow this as I'd love access to these waters :smile:

adriaticum
01-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Just watched the video clip.
It said dlr acquired new land last year.
I believe we are looking at americanization of Canada.
They are barking up the wrong tree. If the land is for sale look at who sold it not who bought it.

tuner
01-22-2015, 10:42 AM
The federal government commissioned a study in 97 using Douglas lake ranch as example, to see how tourist revenue could be increased. These assholes were promoted as a model to other large landholders on how things should be done. So it should not come as any great shock to see these people behave in their arrogant fashion, when they have tacit approval from governments to do so.

BuckEye
01-22-2015, 10:01 PM
If all that is being claimed and fought for (reduced public access to crown lakes and land) is so infringing on the general public and their rights of access, why are popular media fisher people like Brian Chan, Phil Rowley (Heavily BC outdoor fishing/hunting magazine and tv featured) and Kathy Ruddick so prominent in the Douglas Lake videos and partnered search results. Am I supporting reduced public access to crown land and lakes with my subscription to BC Outdoors magazine. I can't emagine they are paying regular pricing to fish or are offering the courses without being payed.
The more I read about this the more I want to distance myself from anyone or any commercial entity that deals with them, including my subscription to BC Outdoor Magazine.

Edzzed
01-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Yup, regardless to which way the courts rule, if I win the lotto I'm hiring a copter with pontoons
to fly in as many fisherpersons with little boats as possible to fish amongst their privileged clients.
And if I win the lotto, I will buy the land next to the lake, Get an excavator to dig a huge hole and then tunnel into Corbett lake to drain it into my large hole

elknut
01-23-2015, 04:01 PM
As past president of 100 Mile Flyfishers we had our FFF meetings at Corbett lake..Peter McVey owned the lodge and served us the dinner ..We had an auction to raise funds for the FFF..We were given a tour of his stocking ponds where he raised his trout..They were huge...We even were allowed to fish there for free ..The weather was usually the pits during this time ..being the end of April..Brian Chan and many people from all over the province came to these Federation meetings..Brian Chan was one rep from the Kamloops Flyfishers ..Conservation was our number one goal...Peter McVey put on a great venue for these meetings and supported the Federation 100%...He always did own the land and did his own stocking...If one wanted to fish for free nearby Courtney lake was available.. I haven't been there for many years but we always new about the Douglas lake ranch and there ongoing anomosity towards hunters and fisherman....I hope someone has their wires crossed about Corbett lake and Peter McVey as he was a very honorable man...Dennis Shewchuk...

speycaster
01-23-2015, 04:52 PM
There has not been public stocking of fish in Corbett Lake for decades, also Corbett Lake has nothing to do with the DLR. Peter as stated above had an agreement with the government that he would stock the lake when he took over ownership. I have fished the DLR when Chunky Woodward owned it, now that new owners are there, the rules have changed. I always fished the lakes at the pleasure of the DLR, now I have to pay. That is life. If some one wants to come onto my private land to camp or any other activity they do it at my pleasure and would have to pay.

I cannot comprehend how people can post things with absolutely no knowledge of what they are posting about, you can rent a helicopter and access that public land in the middle of the DLR property, you CANNOT trespass across DLR land to access it. The same as I could not access crown land by going across any land that anyone on this site owned.

speycaster
01-23-2015, 05:05 PM
The DLR bought the Quilchena Ranch last year and added it to the DLR holdings. They will probably buy the Nicola Ranch too if it comes up for sale. Those that have money buy things, I know that I do. How many poor people buy $2000 dollar rifles, should those on this site that do be looked at as being less likable because they do? The guy that owns the DLR is a billionaire many times over, the DLR is pocket change to him. Is he a likable person? I do not know but you do not acquire that much money by being the softest guy on the block.

adriaticum
01-23-2015, 05:09 PM
There has not been public stocking of fish in Corbett Lake for decades, also Corbett Lake has nothing to do with the DLR. Peter as stated above had an agreement with the government that he would stock the lake when he took over ownership. I have fished the DLR when Chunky Woodward owned it, now that new owners are there, the rules have changed. I always fished the lakes at the pleasure of the DLR, now I have to pay. That is life. If some one wants to come onto my private land to camp or any other activity they do it at my pleasure and would have to pay.

I cannot comprehend how people can post things with absolutely no knowledge of what they are posting about, you can rent a helicopter and access that public land in the middle of the DLR property, you CANNOT trespass across DLR land to access it. The same as I could not access crown land by going across any land that anyone on this site owned.

The issue is not trespassing. Nobody wants to trespass on DLR land.
The issue is whether or not the roads and lakes that are blocked are actually owned by the DLR.
The courts have not determined that yet.

The problem is DLR blocks off public roads for their convenience and to have areas to graze cattle free of people.
Next time I come across an illegal gate I will blow it up.
I came across one this past season and I naturally obeyed the Private Property sign because I didn't know better. But the property is not private.
They just put the sign there and hope nobody is inquisitive enough to care.
If they really get on someone's nerves they could pay dearly.

I have heard that they allow their employees and other people who they know to hunt the property.
So I don't think they have an aversion to hunting.

srupp
01-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Hmmm the gentleman on tv claimed to be a lifetime surveyor and he stated thete was public access, that the gate was province owned, the new lock..dlc..this was at corbett lake..
No I DO NOT BELIEVE THESE LAKES SHOULD BE PRIVATE..there should be access, I also think transparancy on who is stocking these 30 lakes? Province?

Steven

adriaticum
01-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Hmmm the gentleman on tv claimed to be a lifetime surveyor and he stated thete was public access, that the gate was province owned, the new lock..dlc..this was at corbett lake..
No I DO NOT BELIEVE THESE LAKES SHOULD BE PRIVATE..there should be access, I also think transparancy on who is stocking these 30 lakes? Province?

Steven

I think we have determined that these lakes are not stocked by the Province.

markomoose
01-23-2015, 05:24 PM
I smell something fishy?

adriaticum
01-23-2015, 05:29 PM
I smell something fishy?

You spilled a can of sardines in your lap?

Ride Red
01-23-2015, 05:58 PM
The way I see it, if the roadways are indeed public, then they should be open just like any other road in the province to the public. Only a court ruling will decide and hopefully not swayed by big money.

goatdancer
01-24-2015, 11:31 AM
A few years ago one of those 2 lakes were poisoned off and then re-stocked.
I can't remember if it was Corbett....but I'm suspicious about the timing when
it became private and stocked by DLR.

IIRC it was Courtney that was treated to kill off the shiners. After all the effort to clean it up, some aholes slipped some more shiners in anyway. Fisheries decided to restock it with Gerrards and Blackwater trout. The Blackwaters will cruise the shallows like sharks , looking for the shiners.

Jack Russell
01-24-2015, 03:57 PM
IIRC it was Courtney that was treated to kill off the shiners. After all the effort to clean it up, some aholes slipped some more shiners in anyway. Fisheries decided to restock it with Gerrards and Blackwater trout. The Blackwaters will cruise the shallows like sharks , looking for the shiners.

This is correct to my knowledge as well.

Red_Mist
01-29-2015, 02:39 AM
If the government is willing to sell off parcels of land which end up completly isolating a lake giving the owner of the land exclusive access then they are responsible for sorting out this mess. I guess the bigger picture with this situation is whether the government has some responsiblity to the BC public to ensure reasonable access to these waters. i would suggest that a helicopter is not reasonable access as it presents undue hard ship on the public. Road access obviously makes more sense. that said to respect the private land around the lake these roads should lead to day use only areas. just my thoughts

Steve W
01-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Here's a link to the FlyBC site with some additional information.

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=51230

Riverbc
01-29-2015, 09:44 AM
some history about Corbett Lake. I'm not sure if Peter still operates the lodge.

A bit of history:

Peter McVey bought Corbett Lake lodge in the early 1970's At the time the lake had public access, red shiners and a problem with frequent winter kill. McVey operated his lodge through the reotone treatment, provided land for the pond mill operation that solved the winter kill and continued to allow access either from the highway or the lodge. he also went on to develop the now world famous pay fisheries on the Douglas Lake Ranch. After the Coquihalla highway opened Peter became concerned by the crowds accessing the lake from the highway. it was destroying his business as it was destroying the quality of the fishery. At times the lake looked like the proverbial bowl of cheerios. MOE was consistently overstocking the lake and high populations of trout were endangering it's once fine populations of scuds and callibaetis mayflies. In the early 90's Peter paid to survey the highway easement and proved it was on lodge land. he informed MOE that he wanted to work out a restricted access deal where only a limited number of anglers who were not lodge guests could access the lodge. MOE as a matter of policy refused. After Peter cut public access MOE removed the pond mill and stopped stocking the lake. The current mill pond was bought, installed and is run by Corbett Lake Lodge. The fish are stocked by McVey from his own private hatchery.

Stoney and Minnie Lakes were abandoned by MOE for stocking as they also winter-killed often. Peter McVey, went in with a bulldozer and cleaned up the inlets and outlets of the two lakes. He then stocked the lakes on his own, and gave keys to access the gates to the two lakes to guests that were staying at the Corbett Lake Lodge. Two of the guests were the owners, at the time, of Hub Sports in Abbotsford. They suggested to Peter that he could make Minnie and Stoney Lakes into pay lakes, and they would handle the bookings. This venture was so successful that it backfired, because DLR kicked Peter out, and took over what he had started. They eventually built a Lodge at the location,to cater to their fishing guests.

ncurrie
01-29-2015, 09:56 AM
some history about Corbett Lake. I'm not sure if Peter still operates the lodge.

A bit of history:

Peter McVey bought Corbett Lake lodge in the early 1970's At the time the lake had public access, red shiners and a problem with frequent winter kill. McVey operated his lodge through the reotone treatment, provided land for the pond mill operation that solved the winter kill and continued to allow access either from the highway or the lodge. he also went on to develop the now world famous pay fisheries on the Douglas Lake Ranch. After the Coquihalla highway opened Peter became concerned by the crowds accessing the lake from the highway. it was destroying his business as it was destroying the quality of the fishery. At times the lake looked like the proverbial bowl of cheerios. MOE was consistently overstocking the lake and high populations of trout were endangering it's once fine populations of scuds and callibaetis mayflies. In the early 90's Peter paid to survey the highway easement and proved it was on lodge land. he informed MOE that he wanted to work out a restricted access deal where only a limited number of anglers who were not lodge guests could access the lodge. MOE as a matter of policy refused. After Peter cut public access MOE removed the pond mill and stopped stocking the lake. The current mill pond was bought, installed and is run by Corbett Lake Lodge. The fish are stocked by McVey from his own private hatchery.

Stoney and Minnie Lakes were abandoned by MOE for stocking as they also winter-killed often. Peter McVey, went in with a bulldozer and cleaned up the inlets and outlets of the two lakes. He then stocked the lakes on his own, and gave keys to access the gates to the two lakes to guests that were staying at the Corbett Lake Lodge. Two of the guests were the owners, at the time, of Hub Sports in Abbotsford. They suggested to Peter that he could make Minnie and Stoney Lakes into pay lakes, and they would handle the bookings. This venture was so successful that it backfired, because DLR kicked Peter out, and took over what he had started. They eventually built a Lodge at the location,to cater to their fishing guests.

Dont get get me wrong, but I think some of your information about Minnie and Stoney are incorrect.

adriaticum
01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks Riverbc, good article.

Riverbc
01-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Dont get get me wrong, but I think some of your information about Minnie and Stoney are incorrect.

What part? I was there with the owners of Hub Sports (Roger and Gord), and actually got the key from Peter to fish Stoney and Minnie. I even helped out in the store from time to time, and booked people into the lake. It became very popular with people from Washington State who eagerly pay $60 for day use of the two lakes.

hardnocks
01-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Is their a place that shows the property lines of the land owned by dlr and land that's leased ?

adriaticum
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Is their a place that shows the property lines of the land owned by dlr and land that's leased ?

I'd venture to say that if you asked the Land surveyor for that region they will have the info.
Maybe township, whatever that may be, as well.

Riverbc
01-29-2015, 02:10 PM
Decision, on Stoney and Minnie Lakes, yesterday. I hope we have a lawyer on this forum. :smile:

http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/SC/15/01/2015BCSC0120.htm (http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/SC/15/01/2015BCSC0120.htm)

Riverbc
01-29-2015, 02:27 PM
my bad...it was just to do with funding.
Found this.

"This is an application by the defendant, Nicola Valley Fish and Game Club (the “Club”) for an order that the plaintiff, Douglas Lake Cattle Company (“Douglas Lake”) and the defendant, Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of British Columbia (the “Province”), fund the Club’s legal costs and disbursements in the litigation (the “advance costs order”).

[54] In my view, this case does not present the sort of circumstances in which an order for advance costs against a private party would be appropriate.

Disposition
[55] In the result the application is dismissed. "

Eastbranch
01-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Blows my mind how flipped out people can get over fishing in a pond full of cow piss. Pricks throw a dam up on the Kokish and noone blinks. But take away the cow piss ponds full of genetically modified trout and hoo boy, it's off to court we go.

The Dawg
01-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Blows my mind how flipped out people can get over fishing in a pond full of cow piss. Pricks throw a dam up on the Kokish and noone blinks. But take away the cow piss ponds full of genetically modified trout and hoo boy, it's off to court we go.

Yup. I dont get it either.

That road hasnt been maintained since 1976 according to documents.

tuner
01-29-2015, 04:52 PM
I think this has less to do with fishing " cow piss ponds" and more to do with the very real issue of public access to public lands.

Ourea
01-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Be nice to finally see the facts come out.
Strong opinions have been formed without any concrete information.
The owner may very well be within his legal rights to have fenced and gated his private property.

In principal it is understandable why the out cry.
Again, until the matter is reviewed in the courts I wont pass judgement.
I've seen both sides.
I am a firm believer in forming a opinion after reviewing facts rather than before.

If these lakes were not privately stocked and were barren of fish due to the lakes propensity to winter kill I doubt there would much fuss about the issue.

Sofa King
01-29-2015, 06:27 PM

you're missing the point completely.
it's about having more things taken away from us.

Sofa King
01-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Hmmm maybe Brian Chan could explain why a multi billionair needs government stocked fish and then excludes the very same taxpayers who pai for the fish.I believe its several hundred dollarsca day to fish corbett?
The guy who claimed to be a lifelong surveyor was adamant there was historical crown right of way to public boat launch on corbett..he is whats called a expert witness and carries extreme credibility...I think he may be the old proverbial ace in the hole...
Hmmmm looks like there could be a fishing get together at corbett...rub elbows with the rich elite fisher persons...lol
Srupp

I don't know about the historical right of way, but I used to use that launch a few times a week.
that would have been probably 1988-1989.
drive right down to the water and toss the bellyboat in.
and I can remember seeing peter(who's actually a family friend) sneaking around in the bushes with his binos watching to see if people were fishing illegally.

.264winmag
01-29-2015, 09:33 PM

YESSSSS! lolololol
Not that I agree either way, but for some reason I get kick out of that post. Classic, thanks for the laugh. You also have a very good point of view hahahaha...

Sofa King
01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
who gives a shit about the kokish.
my brother worked on that dam, I was out there a couple times.
it didn't hurt my salmon fishing one little bit while I was on the island.
my brother was up there for the work and for the fishing, both were great.
the island is surrounded by water that's full of fish, it's pretty hard to get closer to fish and fishing than down there.

ricardo
12-23-2015, 03:05 PM
The Corbett Lake Lodge had a permit to transfer live trout in 1996, none since, but the small lakes biologist in charge of Region 3, Steve Maricle and his supervisor, Dan Peterson, are aware of this, and are not telling what legislation there is to allow a private individual to take control of a public lake or eco-system for their own entreprenurial use. There is a law that states , It is unlawful to transport live trout in BC without the proper permits, also its questionable if any permit exists to place private fish freely in public lakes.

butcher
12-23-2015, 03:30 PM
FYI, the last time Corbett was stocked by the "government" was 1993.

and incidentally ArcticRed, it was never "genetically modified fish". If I had a nickel for every time I heard that term............

abbyfireguy
12-24-2015, 09:27 AM
It's amazing how fiction becomes fact if repeated enough... There is a huge difference between access through owned land and leased land. I keep my special J hook lock breaker for locked gates on leased land. Don't like getting locked in..
Personally I don't frequent DLR Lakes and won't pay to fish their system.
American investment brings the American mentality of private everything when it comes to access. We need to fight that tooth and nail. But, big money talks. Us little guys that actually keep the province afloat get ignored.

ricardo
12-27-2015, 10:32 AM
There are two legal highways r/w plans and both boundaries are out in the lake. When Peter fenced off the public boat launch, which is also within the legal r/w, he had no legal right to do so. Our small club decided to take the Minnie -Stoney lake issue in hopes that it , if successful, would set a precedent for hundreds of other similar situations. There is no trespass or leased land between the r/w and Corbett Lake. I find it interesting to hear persons who think its fine on any levels , to Steal public places for their own, how does one get to that?