PDA

View Full Version : Elk - or Wapiti as we call them back in NZ

BC-Kiwi
01-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi All.

Firstly i'm not asking for people to post their honey holes or anything else that seems to start a whole side discussion about sharing information on here.

I have only recently gotten back into hunting but grew up doing so in NZ. Mainly Pigs (with dogs and a knife), Red Deer, White Tail, Wild Cows, Goat, Thar and Chamois but also Wapiti. This year I have been given a hall pass by my wife and kids to go hunting, there were a few comments about "you won't take time off work for a holiday but you will to go hunting" so I intend to make the most of it.

In general terms, can you offer some feedback in regards to locations you would recommend, or via PM I am always open to more specific advice you can offer.

I have been considering SW Region 4 and also the Coastal Mountains, inland of Powell River. We did consider region 7B but unless someone thinks it would be absolutely the best option I have trouble justifying the 18hr drive each way. While I know they are different styles of hunting, I would not object to being in the same general area as Mulies, WT, Moose and BB. It would be great to be able to change things up if weather conditions and general luck of the draw means the Elk would not be playing ball.

Back home we do a lot of stalking, glassing and generally walking. There are jetboats and helicopters that will drop into a general area but there isn't a lot of road hunting. I don't know of anyone that ever used a trail cam or similar when we were hunting, mind you it was 20 years ago. I will have a Quad to get into a base camp and from there to a general area but am definitely looking forward to the stalk.

Thanks and I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Elkchaser
01-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Sw or se kootenay should offer you what your looking for. Let Google do the walking for you in the next little while. Look for drainages that offer moderate (not heavily roaded) access. Habitat needs should be similar to nz? Try to find central spots to call home so you can cover multiple areas until you find an area to really work over. Put together digital/paper Google, elevation maps for those areas (and a few more for backup). This approach works great for me in hunting new areas - just be sure about regs, ie what's open, access restrictions, etc.

I'll be doing same in se koots this fall, can't wait. Spent last 12 years in salmon land (nw), made life choice to raise 3 young boys in elk/deer country. Want chasing critters to be key part of their upbringing. No more 1 elk trip/yr. Moving to se kootenays this spring.

good luck, there's amazing elk country out there. Oh yeah, unlike nz, big bears too.

BC-Kiwi
01-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Sw or se kootenay should offer you what your looking for. Let Google do the walking for you in the next little while. Look for drainages that offer moderate (not heavily roaded) access. Habitat needs should be similar to nz? Try to find central spots to call home so you can cover multiple areas until you find an area to really work over. Put together digital/paper Google, elevation maps for those areas (and a few more for backup). This approach works great for me in hunting new areas - just be sure about regs, ie what's open, access restrictions, etc.

I'll be doing same in se koots this fall, can't wait. Spent last 12 years in salmon land (nw), made life choice to raise 3 young boys in elk/deer country. Want chasing critters to be key part of their upbringing. No more 1 elk trip/yr. Moving to se kootenays this spring.

good luck, there's amazing elk country out there. Oh yeah, unlike nz, big bears too.

Thanks Elkchaser. You're right, back home we have no bears, no cougars (other than in bars), no snakes, no wolves, no coyotes, no biting spiders, no skorpions......

Really looking forward to getting out there. We are planning to slowly move east with our 3 kids too.