PDA

View Full Version : do you have to eat a bear?

hoochie
03-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Are we allowed to shoot a bear just for its hide?, and with no intention of eating it?
I thought we had to eat it unless we found out the bear was "sick" like full of worms etc.
something on another thread got me to wondering this question....

Mattimoose
03-28-2007, 03:44 AM
I was taught to eat everything you kill. Unless it were a nuisance or not palletable, but good to skin.

BearSniper
03-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Hoochie;

Technically yes you can shoot it just for the hide.

However the regs state that when you harvest a Black Bear, you must remove the edible portions of the carcass to your normal place of residence. You just can't skin it and leave it there in the forest.

What you do with it from your home is your business.

Grizzlies don't have to be taken home, because they're not normally edible.

Also, technically you could shoot a Moose for its hide or antlers, provided you take it home. That would be an awful waste, but once you've brought it home you can give the meat away if you wanted to.

Hope this helps.

BearSniper

Mattimoose
03-28-2007, 04:44 AM
In Ontario here, they have made a law making-it technically illegal to give someone else wild game meat! No precedent has been set but ridiculous just doesn't cut-it anymore.

todbartell
03-28-2007, 04:58 AM
you do not have to eat it, but you have to take all edible portions to your place of living, or meatcutter, etc.

hoochie
03-28-2007, 05:24 AM
would a bear shot in the spring taste very good?
I dont know of anyone who has bear to eat... nobody I know hunts it.
I would like to know what it tastes like before I shoot one. But seeing as I can give the meat away to someone who would use it... hmmmm.
Ive heard guys say that sausage is the best thing to do with bear meat.. is this correct?

3kills
03-28-2007, 07:03 AM
hoochie get some hams made and then some pepperoni and garlic sausage or something like that it makes really good pepperoni and the hams if done right are awesome...

MichelD
03-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Eat it.

This has been covered many times before.

Do a search.

bigwhiteys
03-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Are we allowed to shoot a bear just for its hide?, and with no intention of eating it?

You don't have to eat it... Just take it home or to your meat cutter as already mentioned. My bear meat this year will be ground up and turned into dog food and all of the fat will be donated to the local indian band (already arranged) I'll keep the skull & hide.

IMHO there is waaaaaaaaaay better game meat out there!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Steeleco
03-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Take your meat to Mike at Dimassimos in Aldergrove. He makes the best sausage I've had in a long time. And if you still don't like it I'll pay your butcher bill and claim what's left.

mtnmax
03-28-2007, 01:01 PM
would a bear shot in the spring taste very good?
I dont know of anyone who has bear to eat... nobody I know hunts it.
I would like to know what it tastes like before I shoot one. But seeing as I can give the meat away to someone who would use it... hmmmm.
Ive heard guys say that sausage is the best thing to do with bear meat.. is this correct?

My thoughts were like yours until I shot my first spring bear lasy year.
Now I am going every spring for a big black fury pig!

bsa30-06
03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Take your meat to Mike at Dimassimos in Aldergrove. He makes the best sausage I've had in a long time. And if you still don't like it I'll pay your butcher bill and claim what's left.

Try having pepperoni made as well , i did last year and it was excellent.Most people i fed it to didn't even know what it was they ate.This year i'll be trying what steeleco said above.