PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Buck in South Langley?

Ohwildwon
01-15-2015, 10:43 PM
Captured this image testing new trail Cam in South Langley Dec 13.. Anyone disagree with it being a Whitetail?http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5215&stc=1

01-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Face does not look like a whitetail. I think it is a 3 point black tail or less likely mulie.

01-15-2015, 10:49 PM
And welcome to the forum!

Foxtail
01-15-2015, 10:50 PM
It's possible but I doubt it. Probably just a blacktail with a non forked rack. Beauty of a deer though... Is he 4x3 and around 232 and 32?

Liveforthehunt
01-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Lol that's definetly not a whitetail sorry ... is this your first year hunting ? Not to give you a hard time but first post ...

BDN9
01-15-2015, 10:57 PM
Blacktail! A nice one though!

monasheemountainman
01-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Definitely black tail. Nice buck

Big Hoss
01-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Looks a lot like the blacktail that was running around my parents farm all fall

Bugle M In
01-15-2015, 11:12 PM
that's the face of a blacktail

Ohwildwon
01-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Foreword sweeping main beam sucked me in! LOL : )

monasheemountainman
01-15-2015, 11:44 PM
I have seen many blacktails with antler frames similar to a whitetails. The dead give away, other than your location, is it's face and ears, and it's black tail lol

Tīɡ
01-16-2015, 12:10 AM
defs a blacktail, but a nice one!!

Crawfy42
01-16-2015, 12:46 AM
About a month and a half ago I saw a white tail buck in derby reach, it was 100% a whitetail as I saw the tail. My dad saw 2 whitetail does in Campbell valley park about 15 years ago. I guess there is the odd one around... Never would have thought though.

adriaticum
01-16-2015, 06:34 AM
There are whitetails on Herrling Island.
But that does not look like one.

Squire
01-16-2015, 07:57 AM
It's a Blacktail but a whitetail sighting wouldn't surprise me. Over twenty years ago I had my kids out for some fresh air in Maple Ridge Park and encountered three whitetail does. While I was trying to determine if they were indeed whitetails, their flags up in retreat with the 'sashaying' gait clinched it.

Liveforthehunt
01-16-2015, 08:23 AM
About a month and a half ago I saw a white tail buck in derby reach, it was 100% a whitetail as I saw the tail. My dad saw 2 whitetail does in Campbell valley park about 15 years ago. I guess there is the odd one around... Never would have thought though.

You saw the tail ??? Lol if I'm not mistaken don't Blackies have very similar tails as a whitey

adriaticum
01-16-2015, 08:34 AM
You saw the tail ??? Lol if I'm not mistaken don't Blackies have very similar tails as a whitey

Not at all

killman
01-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Hybrid.........

digger dogger
01-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Hahaha, all this talk about whities in the LML or FV.
LETS SEE A PIC of one of these rats.
If there was one WT buck, there'd be a pic by now.
Proof is in a picture, and there aint no pictures, EVER,just a bunch of guys saying i saw a buck flag.
Blk tls flag also.
And the white tls on Herrling island,
WHAT, they just live on that tiny island. Lol
Lets see a pic Gents!

There ain't no whities in the LML or Fraser Valley!
Until i see a picture of one, its just like a unicorn:-)

Twogunns
01-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Is this your first year hunting? Haha! Sorry, Couldn't resist

adriaticum
01-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Hahaha, all this talk about whities in the LML or FV.
LETS SEE A PIC of one of these rats.
If there was one WT buck, there'd be a pic by now.
Proof is in a picture, and there aint no pictures, EVER,just a bunch of guys saying i saw a buck flag.
Blk tls flag also.
And the white tls on Herrling island,
WHAT, they just live on that tiny island. Lol
Lets see a pic Gents!

There ain't no whities in the LML or Fraser Valley!
Until i see a picture of one, its just like a unicorn:-)

It says in the regs about the protected Herrling herd. I have not been there in 5 years and even then i don't remember seeing them. Not that i was looking for them. But it wouldn't surprise me that are is quite deciduous.

1/2 slam
01-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Sorry but I call bullshit to whitetails anywhere in the Lower Mainland including Herrling Island. I've walked across the channel to Herrling many times. Don't you think a Whitetail could walk the other way. IF there were whitetails there we'd have a well established population in the lower mainland. We don't.
As for folks seeing them elsewhere in the lower mainland this thread is proof that a lot of folks have no idea what a whitetail looks like

1/2 slam
01-16-2015, 10:08 AM

Sorry I cal 100% bullshit on both of your sightings. Fifteen years ago and your dad saw whitetail does in the Campbell valley park? We would have had a very thriving population by now. We don't and he didn't see any. He, like many on this site, saw blacktail does and thought they were whitetails.

coach
01-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Not at all

Blacktail:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/blacktail_zps12ab5b45.jpg

Whitetail:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/DSC_0991_zpsb6cfa7b4.jpg

Mule deer
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/DSC_1005_zps24653cc5.jpg

Twogunns
01-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Kruger products (Scott paper) has a tree plantation at herrling island. The white tails are there, not on the little island that appears during the high water season. Go have a look for yourselves.

01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Good pic examples Coach

OP ..... That is a Black Tail ...... In original pic hands down.

I know now of several folks seem to think we have WT in the lower mainland, at times when a BT runs the tail flips up and some take that for a WT. They are not WT's . Even talked to a local Biologist and CO about 2 months ago questioning the Herrling island Myth ....... Neither of them said yes they are there or yes I have seen them.

No WT's in the lower mainland ....... Wish there were, we'd have some fun then .......

bigredchev
01-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Its not unheard of I've seen moose on the island

adriaticum
01-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Somehow I doubt that they would include them in the regs based on hear say but pics would certainly help.
I will certainly look for them if I'm fishing the island again.

danfloris
01-16-2015, 11:23 AM
100% BLACKTAIL no doubt about it.
Know your deer people. This is a ongoing debate year after year. It's a joke. We do not have whitetails around here.
Just like the guys that claim whitetail live on Sumas mnt. Just cause a black tail lifts it tail once in a while
doesnt mean it's a whitetail!

Foxtail
01-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Honestly, no one can say they DON'T exist in the lower mainland. People have been talking about ferrel hogs in B.C. for years but as far as I know, this is the fiest year that there has been any real proof. They are deer, they do have the ability to walk.

Ltbullken
01-16-2015, 11:32 AM
NOT a WT. It's a blacktail. BT/Muley face and 3 point.

Squire
01-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Sorry but I call bullshit to whitetails anywhere in the Lower Mainland including Herrling Island. I've walked across the channel to Herrling many times. Don't you think a Whitetail could walk the other way. IF there were whitetails there we'd have a well established population in the lower mainland. We don't.
As for folks seeing them elsewhere in the lower mainland this thread is proof that a lot of folks have no idea what a whitetail looks like

You are aware that "know-it-all" is a facetious title, right? Your ignorant post will have me digging through boxes of pics this weekend when I have better things to do with my time just to prove you have no idea what you are beaking off about . I got a couple of pretty good pics of the does I saw running away because when your kids are little the wife makes you pack the camera everywhere.

A few years ago a big bull elk was seen milling around with some cows in a field in Pemberton. I guess it didn't happen though because they haven't established a thriving population there and you didn't see it.

danfloris
01-16-2015, 11:43 AM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m535/danfloris/Mobile%20Uploads/image-7.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/danfloris/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-7.jpg.html)
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m535/danfloris/Mobile%20Uploads/image-6.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/danfloris/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-6.jpg.html)http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m535/danfloris/Mobile%20Uploads/image-4.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/danfloris/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-4.jpg.html)http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m535/danfloris/240111011.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/danfloris/media/240111011.jpg.html)http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m535/danfloris/240111015.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/danfloris/media/240111015.jpg.html)

can you spot the whitetail? No you can't cause they are all blacktails shot in the lower mainland. 3 point blacktails look like 4 point whitetails.

monasheemountainman
01-16-2015, 11:43 AM
You are aware that "know-it-all" is a facetious title, right? Your ignorant post will have me digging through boxes of pics this weekend when I have better things to do with my time just to prove you have no idea what you are beaking off about . I got a couple of pretty good pics of the does I saw running away because when your kids are little the wife makes you pack the camera everywhere.

A few years ago a big bull elk was seen milling around with some cows in a field in Pemberton. I guess it didn't happen though because they haven't established a thriving population there and you didn't see it.

Make sure that before you post the pics up, that your right! I would like to see them as well!

adriaticum
01-16-2015, 12:14 PM
None of those are whitetails I think.
Except the top one.

danfloris
01-16-2015, 12:29 PM
None of those are whitetails I think.
Except the top one.
None of these are whitetails. All blacktails all
shot with my bow.

mastercaster
01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
I've heard that there is a very small contingent of whitetails on one of the larger islands of the Fraser (like Herrling?) but they can't be hunted. Any truth to this?

Shawn Smith
01-16-2015, 02:17 PM
I've seen whitetail jumping a fence when I was getting off Hwy 1 at 232nd exit not surprised to hear of more people spotting them.

Liveforthehunt
01-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Not at all

I'm sorry Adriaticum ..... your dead wrong ... in the pics I just saw posted lol and I have only see maybe a couple hundred they look quite similar from behind maybe more bushy and white but I have shot my fair share of whities if they were bigger in general I can see people mistaking them .... have you ever shot an animal bigger than a squirrel ;)

coach
01-16-2015, 02:48 PM
in the pics I just saw posted lol and I have only see maybe a couple hundred they look quite similar from behind maybe more bushy and white but I have shot my fair share of whities if they were bigger in general I can see people mistaking them ....

Surprised nobdy else mentioned this after I posted the pics.

adriaticum
01-16-2015, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry Adriaticum ..... your dead wrong ... in the pics I just saw posted lol and I have only see maybe a couple hundred they look quite similar from behind maybe more bushy and white but I have shot my fair share of whities if they were bigger in general I can see people mistaking them .... have you ever shot an animal bigger than a squirrel ;)

To you they are the same. To me they are different.
Everyone sees things differently and has different attention to detail.

SHACK
01-16-2015, 10:18 PM
BWAHAHAHAAAAAA

I spent 20 minutes typing out a rant to the "whitetails of the LM" believers and hit cancel instead of post quick reply!! Don't worry though.......the people that believe in bigfoot will still hang out with ya!!!

Bag1
01-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Maybe some of the non-believers should check out the synopsis a little closer page 35
cut and paste from 2012-2014 regs and syn

A small population of white-tailed deer has
become resident to the Herrling Island area
(MU 2-3) near Hope, BC. Hunters are reminded
that there is no open season for white-tailed
deer in this area.

SHACK
01-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Maybe some of the non-believers should check out the synopsis a little closer page 35
cut and paste from 2012-2014 regs and syn

A small population of white-tailed deer has
become resident to the Herrling Island area
(MU 2-3) near Hope, BC. Hunters are reminded
that there is no open season for white-tailed
deer in this area.

Realy!! Ya don't say, wow its in the regs colour me stupid. Same thing its said for the nearly 30 years I have been hunting, not one pic of a whitey to show of it, never one struck on the hwy, never one crossed over to any of the surrounding areas, and I spend some time hunting and guiding in that area...as in the immediate area. Maybe at one time MAYBE, but probably a misidentification, long, long time ago.......but I still doubt it. Ive seen blacktails, black bears, coyotes, cooks and skunks on Herrling, never a fricken whitey.
As said earlier they have legs and anything is possible, like bigfoot, but until I see one with my own eyes, or have a definitive photo/video its bullshit, come on, not one person has a photo or video in this day and age......?????? it says it in the regs is the only proof that seems to be in print LOL
I think its the big laugh of the ministry... they hang that out there in the regs and troll around laughing at everyone who pipes up about it, and wet themselves when someone talks about the "white flag" they swear was a whitey running into the bush!

SHACK
01-16-2015, 11:18 PM
oops COONS

Busterpayton54
01-17-2015, 10:37 AM
A few years ago my old lady saw an elk in Abbotsford off mt.lehman, I though maybe she was mistaken, but maybe one drifted over from the cascades... Then I heard of a few other people seeing them then a picture of one and a little paragraph made it into the news paper.

Now now we have elk getting hit by cars in maple ridge.

A good old friend of mine, grew up in terrace, hunted his whole life swears he had a grizzly in his yard in Ruskin.

People have been saying there's no Grizzlies in the pitt river or stave watersheds but pictures have now proven otherwise. In fact somewhere I came across a study and if I rememeber correctly the bait stations collected 135 different dna strains in the pitt watershed.

Its easy to to say there's nothing out there when everyone dismisses any sighting they hear of or I might think we got our first cougar in maple ridge last year just because I had t seen one myself or pictures to prove.

redthorn
01-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Blacktail for sure... We put a lot of those into the dirt over the last few years, and the face and ears and throat all look like a blacktail. My brothers and I have several 3pts between the three of us that could all be mistake as whitetail racks. But it is the body, not the rack that determines the subspecies.

That being said....
I worked for a bit with an older fella who grew up next to what was then called the "Langley Game Farm" (Now the Greater Vancouver Zoo). Back in the 70's as teens, they used to sneak onto the military base lands next to it and hunt deer. He claims there were a lot of Whitetail and hybrid deer with the blacktails in there, as a few years earlier the game farm had an escape of about 30 whitetail deer. I called BS on it but then he brought a picture of one to work once. The deer was hanging in his garage, and it was definitely a Whitetail. You could see both the Rack and the tail. He said it was shot off the base. Apparently whitetail were unofficially open year round in the area then because the CO's didn't want them to set up a population around here.

Eventually they were either all shot out or bred out into hybrids with the predominant blacktail population. That being said, the Aldergrove/South Langley herd does have a lot of really main-beamed blacktail, and I still wonder what's all in that bloodline. I do a lot of farm work in the area, and I could have sworn I have seen two deers over the years that had tails like a whitetail.

But once that buck hits 4 pt he will be undeniably a blacktail.

ruger#1
01-17-2015, 12:13 PM
A few years ago my old lady saw an elk in Abbotsford off mt.lehman, I though maybe she was mistaken, but maybe one drifted over from the cascades... Then I heard of a few other people seeing them then a picture of one and a little paragraph made it into the news paper.

Now now we have elk getting hit by cars in maple ridge.

A good old friend of mine, grew up in terrace, hunted his whole life swears he had a grizzly in his yard in Ruskin.

People have been saying there's no Grizzlies in the pitt river or stave watersheds but pictures have now proven otherwise. In fact somewhere I came across a study and if I rememeber correctly the bait stations collected 135 different dna strains in the pitt watershed.

Its easy to to say there's nothing out there when everyone dismisses any sighting they hear of or I might think we got our first cougar in maple ridge last year just because I had t seen one myself or pictures to prove. I have seen and have pictures of four point ELK just west of Mission. They planted herds north of Pitt lake and in 1995 north Stave lake. I have also seen wolves that have been shot up Norrish Creek and one in Deroche. I have also seen Grizzly at the north end of Harrison lake. Have also shot lots of three point Blacktails. They do look like whitetails. I have had people tell me that one I shot in Hatzic Prairie. Is a whitetail. Most bt,s have very knotty bases and are almost chocolate in color. They have bodies shaped like a barrel. I have also seen Muledeer half way down Stave Lake. Seen moose in the ponds of Sunshine valley.

Ohwildwon
01-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Captured some more images of that 3 pointers backside along with a two pointer that came through an hour later... They were definitely Whitetail! Just kidding, Blacktail....
They should be shedding soon! Love the discussion from my first post! Yes im new to this. Decided to try hunting this past Summer and took a firearms and hunting coarse early fall..
Got out to Merritt for a Solo Hunt, didnt get anything..
But now im hooked!!:)

Ddog
01-17-2015, 02:57 PM
you know what kills me ,, people that see a blacktail running away , see the flag up and immediately say "look its a whitetail"… even if there is no population of whitetail where they are hunting and post that they saw a whitetail.
living and bowhunting the lower mainland for 20 years i saw my fair share of blacktails flagging as they ran away, lets not forget that their tails are very close to a whitetail, and some studies i have read on them said they were more closely related to that species than mulies..

the pic on the trail cam is a beauty too,,

Steeleco
01-17-2015, 03:14 PM
you know what kills me ,, people that see a blacktail running away , see the flag up and immediately say "look its a whitetail"… even if there is no population of whitetail where they are hunting and post that they saw a whitetail.
living and bowhunting the lower mainland for 20 years i saw my fair share of blacktails flagging as they ran away, lets not forget that their tails are very close to a whitetail, and some studies i have read on them said they were more closely related to that species than mulies..

the pic on the trail cam is a beauty too,,

Trust me, this Gent knows his Blacktails!!

Liveforthehunt
01-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Trust me, this Gent knows his Blacktails!!

Thank you case closed... need I say more. The possibility is there but it would be a rare occasion

Daybreak
01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
I have seen whitetail deer in the Langley area. One was hanging in a carport and the rest were all bedded down in freezers for the winter.

itsy bitsy xj
01-17-2015, 04:10 PM
I have seen whitetail deer in the Langley area. One was hanging in a carport and the rest were all bedded down in freezers for the winter.

Thanks alot!!!!
now I have to clean off my laptop after shooting coca-cola out my nose and all over it LOL

sbd
01-17-2015, 05:43 PM
there is absolutely no whitetail in the lower mainland and if there was its a ver very slim chance that they be hybrids,let me tell you guys something i worked at the game farm in Aldergrove many years ago and they had a tree come down across there white tail enclosure and a few got loose and if and mean if there was a chance of them crossbreeding there would not be a strong enough genes from a few whities to make dif,and further more talking with hunters from Washington and they say that there is no whitetail west of the cascade mountains,so even though the blackmails do share some characteristics like antlers blackmails go both ways mules and whities take a good look at the tails whities are not all black not brown and are medium in length and black flag seen this many times mulies are short white with a black tip.so to some this up THERES IS NO WHITETAIL HERE,this has bee tossed around for a number of years from Herling Is to Columbia Valley out to here i just laugh at it,its just like some will swear that they caught a spring and its a wild coho and killed and still swear it a spring.quit watching Watching Wild tv you guys are getting a whitetail fever soon everything you is a whitetail,remember that blacktails range from Alaska all the way down to California even though they look like big mules they are black tails and the reason for there size of antlers is the amount of sun they get compared to Alaskas tiny sitkas so that all there is to say say about this matter i don't want here this about whitetails in the valley here

sbd
01-17-2015, 06:25 PM
disclaimer, sorry for any spelling errors. Not a computer person and don't give a rats ass!!!

Ohwildwon
01-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Ha, love it!!

caddisguy
07-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Oh wow, just wow! I was googling something and stumbled across this old thread and thought it was funny how many people were so certain Fraser Valley whitetails don't exist and equate them to Sasquatches. I posted up some Fraser Valley whitetail pics last year but can post them again when I get home if there are still any nay-sayers. I actually have an hour or two of videos of a WT doe... a good 40km from Herling Island too :D ... There are certainly Whitetail's around Hope/Chilliwack well east of the cascades. I have caught a few glimpses in Abbotsford but not 100% certain and no pics, so I'll stick with what I have proof of. Never seen one in Langley, but it's only a few dozen farm fields away!

Yes they are here and yes there "should" be a season IMHO but there isn't. I wonder how many of the 100% certain crowd would shoot at any deer with wood on it's head without verifying species to rule out WT... be honest ;)

caddisguy
07-05-2016, 05:40 PM
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify02_zpsfucp8dvb.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify04_zpsyeoakkws.jpg

ruger#1
07-05-2016, 05:41 PM
A blacktails three point rack looks the same as a whitetails. From a distance, They are hard to tell apart.

Ohwildwon
07-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Too funny, this was my first post...

Never told the joke so here's one...

Two deer hunters hired a pilot to take them way back into the forest. After the hunt, the pilot returned and saw that they shot six deer. “The plane won’t carry six deer, you’ll have to leave two of them,” said the pilot. Unwilling to leave their deer, the hunters said “We got six on the plane last year.” The pilot gave in, and just five minutes after takeoff the plane crashed into the forest. Lucky to be alive, one of the hunters said, “Any idea where we are?” The second hunter said, “Yeah, right about where our plane went down last year.”

Here is the pic this thread was about...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/mikemcclement/Buck%20Jan%2013%20original_zpszleh2ziq.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/mikemcclement/media/Buck%20Jan%2013%20original_zpszleh2ziq.jpg.html)

Harvest the Land
07-05-2016, 06:38 PM
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify02_zpsfucp8dvb.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/identify04_zpsyeoakkws.jpg

That sure looks like a whitetail in a coastal habitat - thanks for the pics!

caddisguy
07-05-2016, 06:52 PM
That sure looks like a whitetail in a coastal habitat - thanks for the pics!

I have a 5x5 blacktail on that same cam and a bull moose on another cam about 10km away. I've posted them before but can re-post if anyone missed it.

markomoose
07-05-2016, 07:16 PM
ITS a Blacktail!!

caddisguy
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Here's a 5x5 blacktail on the same cam as the whitetail in the pics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjik1HT67A0

caddisguy
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
And a Region 2 rain-forest bull moose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ThaUgXeLGc

longwalk
07-05-2016, 07:35 PM
That moose is pretty cool. Who would have thought they were done here. I saw two white tailed bucks off the Coq by the toll booth location a couple of years ago.

caddisguy
07-05-2016, 07:56 PM
That moose is pretty cool. Who would have thought they were done here. I saw two white tailed bucks off the Coq by the toll booth location a couple of years ago.

I had never seen the rain forest moose either (well technically I still haven't seen one "first hand" tho this is good enough for me) but I knew they were around. I have found plenty of moose nuggets hiking around Chilliwack, Jones Lake and the Skagit Valley so I knew it was a matter of time before I saw one or they showed up on the cam. Had plenty of people laugh me off, even some guys I was BS'ing with one morning that blew a tire and didn't have a proper jack or the right size lug wrench I gave up first light to help out... they kinda sneared about the moose sign... almost left them on the side of the road lol (naw I wouldn't really do that but seriously... "how rude!")

Anyway I just wanted to bring back this thread after stumbling on it while googling something else. Was amazed so many people were 100% certain and incorrectly asserting there are no whitetails around and figured it was a good time for a reminder that they're here incase someone decides to pull the trigger on any buck based on misinformation or assumptions there are no whitetails in the Fraser Valley.

Always gotta check the bum... as ruger said it's pretty hard to tell by antlers on 3-points (or less IMHO) at a distance or certain angles... the rear tells it all... check before shooting because ... "theeeyyrrre heeeere" and not going away! :)