PDA

View Full Version : Sir

300WM
03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, I'm in Winnipeg on business. I stopped in to SIR as I'm only 10 minutes away.

Never been in their store before and first impression was OK. The atmosphere is not great (compared to let's say Wholesale), it's actually quite stark. Although they did have some very nice mounts. The overall selection of product in stock was good. Prices are comparable to Wholesale and Russels. I spoke with 6 different staff members and all of them were very helpful and actually quite knowledgeable in their given department.

Don't know if any of you have been to SIR before but I thought I would share my first impression.

Cheers.

swamper
03-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I've never been there, but have sure bought a lot from them over the years.

Elkhound
03-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I've never been there, but have sure bought a lot from them over the years.

..........X2

MB_Boy
03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I have been there a number of times.....and was just there a Xmas shopping for a gift for my Dad while in Wpg.

I wasn't overly pleased with the one guy I spoke with, but hey....you may get one person in a big store having a bad day. I would still go back, although I can't compare to Wholesale etc.

I agree about it being somewhat stark though. You should have seen their old store....way too crowded and not very nice looking inside.

Elkhound
03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
I have been there a number of times.....and was just there a Xmas shopping for a gift for my Dad while in Wpg.

Did you get him a real cool "Moose close up" DVD? Or the Moose Music CD?

Poguebilt
03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
SIR has a lot of things that wholesale doesn't....

one down side that I have had with them is it took 2.5 weeks for them to ship a rifle they had in stock and was told no problem to get to my door within 2 weeks!

oh well....

Jason

MB_Boy
03-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Did you get him a real cool "Moose close up" DVD? Or the Moose Music CD?

Ya......the store had nothing my Dad needed so I went into his basement....dug out a DVD and CD....and autographed them from the "Son of the Doc Moose".

Hunterguy
03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Should have went down two blocks to the Outdoors Outfitter, great mounts, totally different atmosphere, new last year.

bochunk2000
03-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Please excuse m ylack of knowledge...what is SIR?
Steve.

MB_Boy
03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Steve,

Big mailorder store based in Winnipeg.

http://www.sirmailorder.ca/

03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Stands for Sydny I. Robinson Sporting Goods.

Chuck
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Been around since the 60's I believe. I've saved a lot of their catalogues, but not all, as I should have. Here's a Weatherby MarkV in 1972 for $419.95 or a Ruger .44 magnum autoloading carbine for $144.95. They are definitely SLOW on shipping, but do have some odd stuff or hard to get items. You'll get the catalogue every year, so long as you remain on the mailing list by purchasing whatever now and then. Website is just a bunch of numbers which refer to the catalogue, but you can order online. They were all we had back when Sears & Eatons were the other two choices. Got my first rifle from them, Remington 30-06 Model 700BDL plain jane, I think it was about $180.00 less tax and shipping, if I can recall correctly. I'd like to see the store - bet it's archaic, like what is hidden in the basement? I can see some of the old guys & gals in the poorly lit back rooms which smell of mould and leather, floors squeaking, rummaging around boxes and papers - should have been retired 40 years ago but just can't get around to doing it! They know where everything is and will get it for you - soon as they clear the junk, blow off the dust and clear the cob webs!

tuchodi
03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I have never been to SIR but have ordered lots of stuff from them and yes you guy's are right they are a little slow on shipping but have always got what I ordered. Prices very compairable to Wholesale and Cabela's.

WiserFool
03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I remember the days when you used to be able to mail order handguns from them. A Model 600 Mohawk rifle was I think $183. ;-) Victor double springs, Woods Five Stars, wall tents, everything a young man required to be happy. My first purchase musta been about 1974 or so.

All the talk about dusty back rooms reminds me of another honey hole, Ribtors in Calgary. My favorite store when I hit the Big Smoke.