PDA

View Full Version : Perch Fishing Near Kamloops (Pinaus?)

RBooth
01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Hey guys,
I haven't caught or fished for perch in about 20 years but I've had the idea in my head that I want to go catch a bunch for a fish fry or fish n chips. I live in Kamloops and I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for Perch. I am probably heading to Pinaus lake this weekend to give it a try. Does anyone know if there are still Perch and where I should be fishing for them? Depth or location by chance?
I hope that's not asking for too much info...

Thanks for any input!
Cheers,
Ryan

Dannybuoy
01-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Lots of perch in Pinaus , fish in shallow water out from the forestry campsite. I haven't been there this year yet but on other occaisons ,under 20' for perch deeper for bows .

RBooth
01-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks Danny! I'll put up some photos if I have any luck this weekend

Liveforthehunt
01-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Swan as well pull em out of the water quicker than your bait goes down in a couple hours last week pulled over 20 and a couple bows

landphil
01-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Lots of perch in Pinaus , fish in shallow water out from the forestry campsite. I haven't been there this year yet but on other occaisons ,under 20' for perch deeper for bows .

Exactly what I was going to say.

Dannybuoy
01-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Swan as well pull em out of the water quicker than your bait goes down in a couple hours last week pulled over 20 and a couple bows
Yes but lucky to get very many perch big enough to fillet out of swan . We get maybe 1 out of 10 over 10" . You might find a flasher ( Williams or ruby eye ) with 10" leader and shrimp , worm , or mealworms .

RBooth
01-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks again for the info! Does Pinaus have some decent perch in that 8-12" range? That would be nice :)
I should be using that setup for perch Danny? Good to know! I was planning on just using a plane hook or jig with a small amount of bait.

Dannybuoy
01-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Flashers do help attract fish to your bait . I used to do ok at Pinaus with just a hook and bait too though . There are nice perch in Pinaus but the way they breed there are lots of small ones too ... lots of bows too . You must be sledding in ? or do you have info that the road is open?

RBooth
01-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Oh I thought they kept the road plowed for the cabins up there.... Every time I've been there the road was plowed in late winter. My buddy use to own a cabin up there.

Steelpulse
01-16-2015, 01:46 AM
PERCH, sign me up will be making a trip there soon to slay some jumbos haha

303savage
01-20-2015, 10:49 AM
How the heck did perch get in Pinaus Lk? I never heard of them in when I fished it but but that was in the late 70s.

Firstblood
01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Any word on the road conditions to Pinaus? I too would be interested in going there for some perch. I used to fish for them quite a bit back in ontarible.

Sofa King
01-29-2015, 06:37 PM
How the heck did perch get in Pinaus Lk? I never heard of them in when I fished it but but that was in the late 70s.

they've been in there for as long as I've fished there.
but that doesn't go back that far.
the stupidest thing I've seen was a CO actually enforcing perch limits on pinaus.
on one hand they want to label them invasive, then on the other they see an opportunity to hand out fines.

Steve W
01-29-2015, 09:57 PM
they've been in there for as long as I've fished there.
but that doesn't go back that far.
the stupidest thing I've seen was a CO actually enforcing perch limits on pinaus.
on one hand they want to label them invasive, then on the other they see an opportunity to hand out fines.

Pinaus is in Region 8 where perch are managed as a sport fish. Pinaus is part of the Okanagan watershed that has have a more diverse species fishery including perch and bass. In Region 3 they are invasive species in their trout/char management scheme. Region 8 biologist want the perch limit enforced and Region 3 rotenoned them.

Sofa King
01-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Pinaus is in Region 8 where perch are managed as a sport fish. Pinaus is part of the Okanagan watershed that has have a more diverse species fishery including perch and bass. In Region 3 they are invasive species in their trout/char management scheme. Region 8 biologist want the perch limit enforced and Region 3 rotenoned them.

that's interesting, I never knew that.
but didn't they rotenone gardom and yellow lakes to kill off the perch?
and they didn't use rotenone, but they put something in Shannon lake to reduce the # of bass and perch before they stocked it with rainbows.

I love perch, they are tasty as all hell.
but I've only ever heard of them being referred to as invasive.
even though perch, bass, and walleye all made their own way up into bc from Washington.

speycaster
01-30-2015, 06:44 PM
The bucket brigade moved a lot of spiny rays around.:frown:

Tuffcity
01-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Perch started to show up in Okanagan Lake around the mid 70's, then some asshat decided it would be a good move to put them in places like Pinaus Lake. I can't remember if they did, or just thought about doing, rotenone Pinaus in the mid 80's.

RC

Sofa King
01-30-2015, 08:29 PM
The bucket brigade moved a lot of spiny rays around.:frown:

I know that's where the finger always gets pointed, but, has that ever been proven?
we read about it all the time, but I don't recall ever hearing about anyone getting caught doing it.

REMINGTON JIM
02-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Some Pr*cks :icon_frow put them there years ago and they have over poped the lake - Used to be a Pretty Good Rainbow lake back in the 70"s ! :mad: RJ

Stone Sheep Steve
02-11-2015, 09:17 PM
that's interesting, I never knew that.
but didn't they rotenone gardom and yellow lakes to kill off the perch?
and they didn't use rotenone, but they put something in Shannon lake to reduce the # of bass and perch before they stocked it with rainbows.

I love perch, they are tasty as all hell.
but I've only ever heard of them being referred to as invasive.
even though perch, bass, and walleye all made their own way up into bc from Washington.

as far as I know nothing was done to Shannon before they stalked it with Fraser valley triploid rainbows. After chatting with one of the small lakes bios, I learned that Fraser valley triploids are known to prey on perch. Who would have thought that? Stalking them as 10-12" catchable gives them the advantage they need.
They should try FV triploids in Bear.

GWG
02-13-2015, 12:53 PM
I started fishing pinuas lake two years ago. Now I have a perch rod and tackle box. I've tried ice fishing twice there without much luck. In the summer and spring I use jig heads with little rubber tails, they seem to like different colour combos on different days but I find a little peice of worm really helps. I've caught bows the same time as perch. I cast it out without a weight as far as I can let it hit the bottom then slowly retrieve it pulling it just off the bottom as I reel it in. Good luck let us know how it goes might have to try it for ice fishing again

303savage
02-13-2015, 02:54 PM
I've seen was a CO actually enforcing perch limits on pinaus

That's interesting, I can't find anywhere in the regs that there is a limit on perch.

coach
02-13-2015, 03:02 PM
That's interesting, I can't find anywhere in the regs that there is a limit on perch.

Page 75 for region 8..

GWG
02-14-2015, 11:43 PM
I've gone there and caught over 30 bows and only 6 perch so I know the bows are doing very well in the lake too

walks with deer
02-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Any feedback On road conditions

Safety of ice.