PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Cull

flyboy
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
BC government announces wolf cull to save MT Caribou. Interesting development, and people said you would never see this in BC ever again. Maybe if this goes somewhat smooth there is a chance more can be done to help other ungulate populations.

Daybreak
01-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Already being discussed here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?114009-Let-the-Whining-Begin

swampthing
01-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Just heard on the radio they are going to do some "heligunning". I wonder who gets that job?

The Dawg
01-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Just heard on the radio they are going to do some "heligunning". I wonder who gets that job?

They contacted us at wolftracker :D

Huevos
01-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Hope it works. Hasn't in alberta so far..... Some think mortality is due more to bear predation on calves more than wolves. I wish the heli hunt was a draw for residents. Maybe auction one off to highest bidder as well to raise some green for conservation. Too bad it would generate too much negative PR cause it would be great fun.

Cordillera
01-15-2015, 10:39 PM
In both areas proposed for wolf removal the biologists have been tracking caribou and determined wolves are a leading source of mortality. Bears werent noted as a big contributor in those herds. They can't tell what is getting calves specifically because you can't collar them. I'd guess that what kills cows is also what kills calves.

hunter1947
01-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Its about time why did they wait so long ???

Ride Red
01-16-2015, 08:09 AM

This shouldn't suprise you, you've been around long enough to realize that governments(municipal, provincial,federal ect) always wait till the bitter end to do anything right. I'm ecstatic they're going forward, hopefully they continue their efforts across the entire province and island.

Huevos,

Any cull efforts won't produce results overnight, just like ungulates don't bounce back overnight either. Give it time, you'll see results.

Good2bCanadian
01-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Any chance this wolf cull has any relation to the allocations?
The government did say they are trying to do more to increase game?
Possibly selling the wolf cull as a cariboo enhancer, but behind doors, an overall game enhancer?

Just random thoughts here?

Either way, about time.

Good2bCanadian
01-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Thanks ^^^^

Ltbullken
01-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Hope it works. Hasn't in alberta so far..... Some think mortality is due more to bear predation on calves more than wolves. I wish the heli hunt was a draw for residents. Maybe auction one off to highest bidder as well to raise some green for conservation. Too bad it would generate too much negative PR cause it would be great fun.

That may not be too far off the mark. There is concern the recent drop in moose numbers in BC has to do with an increase in black bear numbers and predation on calves. This is info that comes from a CO. Take your 2 blackies/year guys!! Makes great sausage!!

itsy bitsy xj
01-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Take your 2 blackies/year guys!! Makes great sausage!!
I've been trying but all I come up with is tag soup

zippermouth
01-16-2015, 11:49 AM
That may not be too far off the mark. There is concern the recent drop in moose numbers in BC has to do with an increase in black bear numbers and predation on calves. This is info that comes from a CO. Take your 2 blackies/year guys!! Makes great sausage!!

if you want to have an increase in bear harvest they need to remove the law to take out all edible portions. a lot of crying would happen but a lot more bears would be killed due to it.

two-feet
01-16-2015, 12:10 PM
I've been trying but all I come up with is tag soup
Head north my friend, head north. So many bears up here it gets ridiculous

Cordillera
01-16-2015, 06:53 PM
If you ever drive highway 37 in may or June I guarantee you will see bears. In one trip from Kitwanga to dease lake we lost count just over a hundred! You need to get off the highway to shoot one but they are rather plentiful.

Brambles
01-16-2015, 08:07 PM
I wish them happy hunting, and ont stop at 24 and feel free to venture throughout the south east, not just the southern selkirks!,