PDA

View Full Version : Caribou hunt in Northern BC?

Maxx
03-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I have not hunted Caribou in Nothern BC, but am planning to do so this season. Any thoughts on the best time of year to hunt them? ( Around Dease Lake)

thanks - (:)any secret honey holes, with the GPS locations are appreciated as well)

brno375
03-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Read "Gone Huntin'" by Pat Ferguson. He claims mid Sept to be the time for a nice white maned bull as the rut gets into swing. The meat at this time however, is said to be revolting.

jackson13
03-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I use to live in Dease Lake. Send me a pm and I will reply with some info if you want.

Sitkaspruce
03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Have been up a few times and we always go from around Sept 18 to the end of the month, and mix in a moose hunt as well. We usually fly into a lake strickly for Caribou and hunt for 5 days, then fly to a moose lake and spend 5-7 days there. It is a great trip. We have never hunted more than 3 days for our caribou. The meat has been good, never had a bad one yet. Get the hide of him and bone him out ASAP. Will post some pictures later of the bulls we have got and some of the country.

PM me if you need more info.

srupp
03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
here is our last caribou from around Dease Lake..was an August bull..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/084_84.jpg

BOONE AND CROCKET score 391 3/8

Steven

steel_ram
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Join the party about 70 miles W NW of Dease. A little puddle lake on the Kawdy Plateau. Go as late as you dare.

hunter1947
03-27-2007, 05:04 PM
That is one real nice caribou Steven ,way to go http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif congrats on such a fine trophy animal. hunter 1947.

srupp
03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
hunter1947..the guy in the photo is Phil Miner , and his partner ANDY MILLER ..who actually shot the caribou in the photo ..both Andy and Phil both shot fine 'bou...I was merely the hunter host and guide....and yes it is a tremendous bull..
Steven

Maxx
03-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Srupp- What a great picture, that is the caribou that we are ALL looking for,

Lil Buck
03-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Hey Maxx I know some hot spots pm if you want to go?
:biggrin::cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Sept 18th has been good for us.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/BrentsCassiarbull-copy.jpg

They're already hanging with the ladies and still taste great!!

SSS

Maxx
03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
WOw, another monster, well done SSS!

srupp
03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Great bull Steven..

Steven

butcher
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Maxx I'll share some secrets with you but it will cost you.....

Maxx
03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
cost me what, a free ride? Sounds good to me!

BCrams
03-29-2007, 09:50 AM
SSS - you just love it everytime someone posts a caribou thread !! You probably get all giddy and tell yourself, "Yay, another 'bou thread, I'm posting my picture!!" :mrgreen:

Wouldn't blame you, heck of a bull!!

Tinney
03-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Every time I see that thing it looks bigger

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
SSS - you just love it everytime someone posts a caribou thread !! You probably get all giddy and tell yourself, "Yay, another 'bou thread, I'm posting my picture!!"

Yep!:redface: You nailed it!
Just to be fair...that pic makes the bull look larger than it really is8) ! In reality, I'm sitting in the next time zone. My arms are reeeeaaaaallyyyy long!

I'm just glad I was able to take a nice one on my last chance at fall holidays:frown: .

Maybe one year again..........................................

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Please note my lack of pictures posted on mule deer threads:cry: ...............and NO, I'm not secretive like you Rams!

SSS

Fisher-Dude
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
SSS - you just love it everytime someone posts a caribou thread !! You probably get all giddy and tell yourself, "Yay, another 'bou thread, I'm posting my picture!!" :mrgreen:

Rams, you know darned well SSS is a latent attention whore. Give the boy an opening, and he's the life of the party!

Wish I had some sheep and caribou pics to do some whorin too! :-(

BCrams
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Rams, you know darned well SSS is a latent attention whore. Give the boy an opening, and he's the life of the party!

Wish I had some sheep and caribou pics to do some whorin too! :-(

Likes to sneak right in there doesn't he.

One day, I might have a ram and 'bou picture to post up !!

butcher
03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
In your dreams.....BCBUCKS!:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
F/D-We all know about your elk-whorin days!!:)

Butcher-You were noticably absent on the weekend.
Come on let's hear your poor excuse!! What's the matter? Got too many wall tents??:lol:

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Although not a BC bou, this one makes mine look like a cow caribou!!!
Taken out of Gana a couple of years ago by a fella I know..........438" #10 alltime B&C8) .
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/fp_sheridanmark_438_1.jpg

SSS

butcher
03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
I was torn whether to go or not. Then I thought about how intimidated by my sheer physical presence(or was it disgusted by my drunken antics?) you were last time I showed up and thought I'd give you a break. Either way I'm sure it was a classier affair without me.

Seriously though, I kind of want to spend some money at the gun show.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Yea, that's what I figured.....either that, or you were back in Rehab again:shock: .................................................. .:-D !!

SSS

MattB
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I was torn whether to go or not. Then I thought about how intimidated by my sheer physical presence(or was it disgusted by my drunken antics?) you were last time I showed up and thought I'd give you a break. Either way I'm sure it was a classier affair without me.

Seriously though, I kind of want to spend some money at the gun show.

You probably should have gone....maybe you would've won something, AGAIN!

bruin
03-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Although not a BC bou, this one makes mine look like a cow caribou!!!
Taken out of Gana a couple of years ago by a fella I know..........438" #10 alltime B&C8) .
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/fp_sheridanmark_438_1.jpg

SSS
Just curious if that is currently the #10 all time?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Just curious if that is currently the #10 all time?

Don't know for sure. It was panelled scored about 3 yrs(?) ago. I don't stay current with the B&C book. Mtn Bou.

Edit-I looked it up.....Shot in 2002.......panel scored in 2003(I believe). May have slid out of the top 10 since then.
SSS

butcher
03-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Matt, I like to spread the wealth a little. Let the little people have a taste.

MattB
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
LOL, thanks man! We all appreciate it! Did you end up keeping the wall tent?

WoodOx
03-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Steve, I am NO bou expert, as a matter of fact never even looked at how to score them, but (I presume it was his double shovels and size on this #10 one) yours looks WAY bigger.

Regardless, two gorgeous animals. No idea where you hunt them, but are big bou just as hard as all other species (BC Book size++) to find?

Cheers

Stone Sheep Steve
03-30-2007, 06:12 AM
Caribou are one species that can rack up the inches without changing their overall appearance that much. Unless you've scored a few you won't know what to look for. Double shovels are definitely one way to add on the points quickly but not many mountain caribou have them.
While palmation helps, long rear points, long mainbeams, lots of points on the bez and a good wide shovel with lots of points sure helps with the score.

Here's a link to scoring. http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/bc_scoring_caribou.asp?area=bgRecords&type=Caribou.

Now go back and look at the two caribou and scutinize them further.
Just remember I said the pic of mine turned out great......the other guy's is not as flattering.

SSS

butcher
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah I kept all that stuff and it all looks like I've had it for 20 years now. I don't use the wall tent much though because I have one with an internal frame that takes about 15 minutes to set up. The other one makes a great kitchen if I want to spend the time to set it up.

Brent's 'bou has amazing tops but stubby main beams......kinda like Brent!:twisted:......the main beams I mean, not the tops, I never really looked at Brent's tops........I'm gonna shut up now.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Quit spreading rumours about my stubby mainbeam!!!
And who are these people Brent and BCBucks? Must be legendary hunters from another site or something??

That's SSS, Butcher! No...No... that's MR. SSS to you!:p

AG-those two bulls are about 90-100" apart in score!! Put them side by side and the difference would be obvious.

Here's a pic of my partner's bull. Ours are probably 10" diff in score(guesstimation). His bull has everything my bull doesn't..length, width and good bottoms. Mine's got a 3" point beside the shovel(where the double shovel would be) where his has a ~12-14" point. His has weaker tops and less mass.
It all adds up really fast................. or doesn't.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/JonsCassiarbull-copy-copy.jpghttp://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/01-16-2005083824AM.JPG
http://usera.imagecave.com/BrentT/floatplanedock-copy.jpg
We were told to look for a bull whose antlers are at least as tall as the top of his back when he is feeding. Never saw mine feeding as he was bedded down the entire time. Still would have shot him regardless.

SSS

butcher
03-30-2007, 04:22 PM
I really like that last photo Mr SSS. I can't imagine how much game that dock at old smiley's has seen over the years.

I will be flying from that general vicinity in less than 5 months. For caribou and various other creatures with hooves, wings or fins.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I hear it's up for sale. Could be your last flight with Smiley:cry: ..................................:) .

Maxx...you've got your pilot's license?? Make him an offer. I'm sure you'll soon be dialed in on where to go for big 'bou!!

SSS

GoatGuy
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I hear it's up for sale. Could be your last flight with Smiley:cry: ..................................:) .

Maxx...you've got your pilot's license?? Make him an offer. I'm sure you'll soon be dialed in on where to go for big 'bou!!

SSS

Holy, looks like that old beav was actually washed. Naw, must have just rained that day.

butcher
03-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Well I'm not flying with him this year. I have other arrangements. We'll be using the beach near the dock though.

elkguide
03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not allowed to post my caribou pics other than the one I shot myself ( i have guided a bunch of em) what I was taught too look for was A) length of main beam B) number and length of points C) width of brow palm and palmated tops D) finally Spread of mains. As for when the meat is good it really depends on two things, the weather ( if it has been a warm fall ) and where they are......up north they get a bit stinkier later than in the Itchas. I've always found that they taste best if you get them before the end first week of September. After that my dog wouldn't eat it.

steel_ram
03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Level Mountain area use to be good. Probably still is with it's limited access. 58 deg 29' 31"N by 131 deg 16' 23" W

srupp
03-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I have a photo of Andy with his caribou rack on that same dock @ Dease Lake . SSS , what did those 2 caribou score ....

Steven

Dale
03-30-2007, 09:20 PM
how does a guy get to the level mountain area. i'm guessing fly, but not sure by the size of the puddles there to land on? is there road access?

Allen50
03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
all i have to say, is some great photos, and looks like you had some fun hunting,,, sweet,,

butcher
03-31-2007, 07:56 AM
You can fly into Level Lake. Good Caribou but quite a bit of pressure from GO's and residents alike.

GoatGuy
03-31-2007, 05:45 PM
how does a guy get to the level mountain area. i'm guessing fly, but not sure by the size of the puddles there to land on? is there road access?

Graham was flying in there in his 185 and it is definitely tight for a cessna, but the Beaver out of Tatogga shouldn't have any problems. I heard Clarence is flying out of Telegraph now too.

elkguide
04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Graham was flying in there in his 185 and it is definitely tight for a cessna, but the Beaver out of Tatogga shouldn't have any problems. I heard Clarence is flying out of Telegraph now too. is that clarence hogan goat? I know him pretty well. ( tsyata avaiation)

GoatGuy
04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
is that clarence hogan goat? I know him pretty well. ( tsyata avaiation)

Yep, doubt it's him actually flying but apparently he's got a 185 up in Telegraph now from what I've heard.

willy442
08-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Caribou pictures