PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Yukon Pants and Jacket

blaker_99
01-14-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm on the hunt for some new rain gear. I've narrowed my sesrch down to one of two Kuiu Yukon and Chugach nx. With Kuiu not having any retailers it makes things a bit more interesting when ordering or viewing the product you want so I was hoping there was someone in the Kelowna area who has either set so I can have a quick look at and possibly size reference. Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone has any be original input on good quality rain gear please chime in I haven't made up my mind quite yet....

Ian F.
01-15-2015, 07:02 AM
Have the pants very happy with them after one season of limited use. Kuiu fits true to size and doesn't have the bagginess to fit big guts

SR80
01-15-2015, 07:53 AM
I had a Yukon jacket, they are meant to be worn over multiple layers so they are big. im 6'2 185 and it was too big for me. And be ready to pay an extra 40% once you pick it up at the post office unless you have an American PO box. Rain gear from them gets hit hard with duty. I paid and extra 160 for tax and duty on that jacket after the original 350 American.

Trekker
01-15-2015, 08:29 AM
I own both yukon and chugach. If you want lightweight packable rain gear go chugach. If you want tougher quieter but heavier rain gear go yukon.

Stresd
01-15-2015, 09:09 AM
I've got the yukon pants and chugach jacket on one 14 day fly/packin and yukon pants with nx jacket for last years 14 dayer. Yukon/Northern BC Sheep goat hunts. Went with the lighter Chugach jackets because of packability. But never had to remove while my partner w without highend clothing was forever putting on or taking off clothes depending on conditions. Performed excellent in the worst weather. Breathes well on climbs yet nice and wind proof and dry in heavy driving rain. Yukon pants were especially durable. I normally wear a 42 jacket and find the large chugach fits great. I'm a short shiit and normally wear 30L 32 waist and wore the large yukons on one trip even though they were a little large. Now have the Medium Yukon pants which fit great. You ever down in this neck of the woods your more than welcome to try my stuff on. Great gear for sheep and goat. But when I hunt MooseDeer in the Cariboo I wear my wool outer gear instead. My Cuz (Hard Core Sheep hunter)switched from his Sitka to Kuiu.

blaker_99
01-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys for the positive feedback. Ive got the shipping and duty figured out already but I greatly appreciate the heads up. What I am looking for in the set up would be durability breathability and waterproof quality. The Chugach seams a bit light for my likings as I hunt in deep cover and wouldn't want to tear them up but on the other hand I do wear gaiters quite often as well so that will offer some protection. Any of your guys around the Okanagan at all and how do you guys find the Yukon for noise ?

Stone Sheep Steve
01-15-2015, 10:24 AM
I've been wearing my Chugach jacket to shovel snow and it has been amazing breathable.
Hiked many hours in rain this August and it performed well.
I used to pack a regular jacket plus my HH raingear but now I just use one jacket. Space and weight savings.

SSS

donny.brooke
01-15-2015, 11:14 AM
I have xl chugach pant and xxl chugach jacket if you would like to take a look at mine im in Kelowna.

ditch donkey
01-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Im also interested in the kuiu chugach for use in the mountains. My question for those who own this product already is, Is the chugach raingear strictly a rain suit or is it easily used as your primary jacketI realize SSS adressed this in his last post but im just looking for additional feedback if you were using on a backpack mountain hunt?. At this point i am looking at ordering the chugach as my outer layer and building a base layer of merino product.

ryanshaw44
01-15-2015, 01:32 PM
I used the Yukon guiding this season and it worked great

Stresd
01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Im also interested in the kuiu chugach for use in the mountains. My question for those who own this product already is, Is the chugach raingear strictly a rain suit or is it easily used as your primary jacketI realize SSS adressed this in his last post but im just looking for additional feedback if you were using on a backpack mountain hunt?. At this point i am looking at ordering the chugach as my outer layer and building a base layer of merino product.

See post #5 in this thread. 14 days end of last Sept had everything from sunny 60 degree weather to rain, sleet and snowed in for 3 days at 5500 ft. Well below freezing as boots froze solid. My only pants are the yukons with a 185 and a 250 Merino base layer available in my pack. And the Chugach nx jacket with a 145 and 150 and a 250 Merino base layer available. Couple of smart wool guanche and 3 pairs of wool socks that I rotated, along with my kuiu hooded puffy and Kuiu puffy pants is all I ever take on these trips, for clothes. I find the combination of Yukon pants with the lighter Chugach jacket works really well for me.

kootenayslam
01-15-2015, 05:51 PM
have both Yukon top and bottom and like them. More durable for sure but heavier than chugach.

Buck
01-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Chugach with a puffy and merino will keep you well.

Fred1
01-15-2015, 07:11 PM
As mentioned, layers are the key. I don't have the Kuiu gear yet but have handled a few articles. It is quality stuff! A friend of mine invested in the Chugach stuff last fall guiding ( lots of rain... It always rains..) swears by it! He said the stuff breathes great! As for sizing the rain stuff, big is ok. (I ordered two sizes jacket and pants to make sure I fit it right - I'm all over the map with hunting clothes). It has to cover your warm layers. You can always take it off for the pics if you want to look more GQ... But GQ can kiss my ass on day 15 of rain... ;)

swampthing
01-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Some Yukon gear is on my radar. I just got my very first kuiu order. It was $430 on their checkout and it cost me an additional 45% tax/duty at the post office. Still cheaper than Sitka gear but most of that sitka I have was bought on very good sale prices.

Elk-Aholic
01-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Blaker, I just gave your buddy a run down on the Kuiu gear. You should get a text shortly

trailhunter
01-21-2015, 09:38 AM
I ran Sitka gear for 3 full seasons with little to know issues, I wore the gortex out last season and she leaks now. I bought the Yukon set this year and love it so far. It is louder than Sitka but you can't get better rain gear period!! But beware it's loud when it's not raining. I recommend getting gators as well.

Wentrot
01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
I ran Sitka gear for 3 full seasons with little to know issues, I wore the gortex out last season and she leaks now. I bought the Yukon set this year and love it so far. It is louder than Sitka but you can't get better rain gear period!! But beware it's loud when it's not raining. I recommend getting gators as well.

Sitka would most likely back you up if you give them a call and let them know it started leaking. Great service.

Stresd
01-21-2015, 01:46 PM

I've noticed that my Yukon and Chugach outers have gotten much quieter, as they have been broken in over the years. Still not silent but a heck of a lot softer and quieter than they were a few years ago.